Any advice?

Just bought Halo Wars. Any advice on what I should build first and so on so I don’t suck too bad lol

Play 1v1, you’ll get better a lot quicker than you would playing unarranged or party teams with bad teammates. Rushing is not cheap, it is part of the game. If you can’t stop a rush, try doing it yourself until you get stopped.

Watch high level play of Halo Wars on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xvxarchangelxvx

Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it.

> Just bought Halo Wars. Any advice on what I should build first and so on so I don’t suck too bad lol

Dont be afraid to play online. Expose yourself to as much gameplay as you can and try to take in as much of it as you can. Get familiar with maps, and ask questions if your teammates have a mic. They will be happier if you ask waht to do instead of doing something you are unsure of.

Have fun, the know how will come with time.

Thank you. Does anyone know how the ranking system works. I’ve only won one match online and that seems to be the only time I ranked up. Must you win to rank up? Is there a certain amount of points you need or something?

> Thank you. Does anyone know how the ranking system works. I’ve only won one match online and that seems to be the only time I ranked up. Must you win to rank up? Is there a certain amount of points you need or something?

it’s the old exp system from halo 3, you earn a little from loseing (very little) winning earns you a lot more and your rank reflects your skill in this game unlike in reach.

There’s rank (you start as recruit), and there is trueskill. There’s a certain amount of points you need to rank up each time. The amount increases as you go. You can check how much points you need to rank up by going to the main menu > options and extras > skirmish record > skirmish. It should be in the upper right hand corner.

For trueskill, that is based on winning and losing. You can lose and still rack up a lot of points, but your trueskill will most likely fall. You can see your trueskill while you are searching for a game.

Thank you both. Yeah I won another match right now and I saw the amount of points needed to get to next rank drop. I guess it has a good matchmaking system because it has set me up with people I can actually beat.

be very dubious of the advice you recieve here because some people are terrible. accustom yourself with the gameplay by playing plenty of skirmish and campaign. please follow those VERY USEFUL youtube links and fyi that cpk bob doesnt know what he is talking about.

Yes yes! Play the entire campaign. It will help you and it will enlighten you with the story. Plus if you want to know even more, collect black boxes and go to the halo timeline in the extras.

> be very dubious of the advice you recieve here because some people are terrible. accustom yourself with the gameplay by playing plenty of skirmish and campaign. please follow those VERY USEFUL youtube links and fyi that cpk bob doesnt know what he is talking about.

In context his advice is still good advice, I’m sure he knows what he is talking about.

> be very dubious of the advice you recieve here because some people are terrible. accustom yourself with the gameplay by playing plenty of skirmish and campaign. please follow those VERY USEFUL youtube links and fyi that cpk bob doesnt know what he is talking about.

So in order to get better at online play, you suggest playing offline?

So how do you come up with the conclusion I dont know what I am talking about?

I have played decades of RTS.

Well I didn’t expect for this game to be so addicting. I’ve already clocked over 12 hours of gameplay :open_mouth: Anyways I was wondering how do you rack up more points when playing a standard match. I usually play 3v3 since I don’t do too well in a 1v1 yet. I feel like there are some matches where I do the most damage to the opposing team. I guess that’s not the most productive way to rank up. So does anybody know?

Oh also on the halo wars website it says my skill level is 20, but when I’m searching for a match it says my true skill is 11. So whats that all about?

> Oh also on the halo wars website it says my skill level is 20, but when I’m searching for a match it says my true skill is 11. So whats that all about?

Your skill level on halowars.com is just your winning percentage divided by 2. So if you have a 20 skill level, it just means you’ve won 40% of all your games played.

True Skill is per playlist and is based on the true skill of the opponents you win/lose against. So if you beat a really good player with high trueskill, you’ll likely see yours go up. 50 is the highest trueskill and skill level you can achieve. Most of the people that actually have 50s are boosters though.

Points in a game are based on how many and what type of units you kill and how many units you lose. You get a combat efficiency multiplier from 1.2% - 8.4% depending what the ratio is between units lost and units killed. This is added onto your normal score you get in each game.

> Just bought Halo Wars. Any advice on what I should build first and so on so I don’t suck too bad lol

I’ll play a few games with you. Halo Wars is a fairly simple game so if you have a decent teacher you should be able to get into the mid 30s fairly easily.

> > Oh also on the halo wars website it says my skill level is 20, but when I’m searching for a match it says my true skill is 11. So whats that all about?
>
> Your skill level on halowars.com is just your winning percentage divided by 2. So if you have a 20 skill level, it just means you’ve won 40% of all your games played.
>
> True Skill is per playlist and is based on the true skill of the opponents you win/lose against. So if you beat a really good player with high trueskill, you’ll likely see yours go up. 50 is the highest trueskill and skill level you can achieve. Most of the people that actually have 50s are boosters though.
>
> Points in a game are based on how many and what type of units you kill and how many units you lose. You get a combat efficiency multiplier from 1.2% - 8.4% depending what the ratio is between units lost and units killed. This is added onto your normal score you get in each game.

Thank you! You explained that perfectly. I could really use a teacher. I do learn real quick however right now I’m not that great. If you ever want to play my GT is TALON REAP3R X. I’ve been wanting to change my user name for these forums because blk hwk limit is my old GT. I don’t know how to do that though. Well anyways hit me up with a friend request if you like. I’m on a lot this semester cause I scheduled all my classes on Mondays and Wednesdays.

I still have to Lol when i see a human player build Reactor, reactor, supply pad on their first base…it’s not so bad for covy players to build their tech first but you should only do it if your intending to do something with your leader when it spawns…the amount of times i’ve seen people build the temple first but then just leave their leader camped outside their base 'till around the 5min mark. One thing i’ve learnt over time is that if a covy player tries to leader rush you by building their temple first and sending their leader over, you’ll still have enough time to build 1-2 supply pads then your temple before they get to your base you’ll also often be able to get your first upgrade on your leader which should help you fend off their attack with reasonable ease.

> I still have to Lol when i see a human player build Reactor, reactor, supply pad on their first base…it’s not so bad for covy players to build their tech first but you should only do it if your intending to do something with your leader when it spawns…the amount of times i’ve seen people build the temple first but then just leave their leader camped outside their base 'till around the 5min mark. One thing i’ve learnt over time is that if a covy player tries to leader rush you by building their temple first and sending their leader over, you’ll still have enough time to build 1-2 supply pads then your temple before they get to your base you’ll also often be able to get your first upgrade on your leader which should help you fend off their attack with reasonable ease.

I accepted your friend request. Inv me if you ever want to play

> > I still have to Lol when i see a human player build Reactor, reactor, supply pad on their first base…it’s not so bad for covy players to build their tech first but you should only do it if your intending to do something with your leader when it spawns…the amount of times i’ve seen people build the temple first but then just leave their leader camped outside their base 'till around the 5min mark. One thing i’ve learnt over time is that if a covy player tries to leader rush you by building their temple first and sending their leader over, you’ll still have enough time to build 1-2 supply pads then your temple before they get to your base you’ll also often be able to get your first upgrade on your leader which should help you fend off their attack with reasonable ease.
>
> I accepted your friend request. Inv me if you ever want to play

I won’t be on 'till friday/saturday as i only really have time for xbox live at the weekends…one reason why i gave up trying to do weekly challanges on reach a long time a go lol well unless its a campaign challenge