Another topic about "Sprint" ....

As many of us know, sprinting has became extremely hated among the community, and many feel 343 would be fools to not remove it in Halo 5. But here is the thing, sprinting has became pretty much standard in the fps’s of today, and Halo 4 is no exception. With 2 Halos under our belt with the ability to sprint, removing it now would cast aside 2 generations that liked and possibly preferred it.

I understand what sprinting has done, to the maps. Making them larger and ruining 4v4 gameplay while also taking away the skill jumps and everything that made the maps competitive. But here’s the thing, its not sprints fault the maps are no longer competitive, that’s the maps themselves, you can have sprint and competitive built maps, its just the past 2 halos have leaned toward the casual crowd more so the competitive crowd. I believe if sprint was to return that it would not necessarily mean the end of competitive built multiplayer maps, heck if done right sprint could make them more competitive, by adding trick jumps that could have dire consequences on those that failed making it more rewarding on those that have mastered it.

New situations such as having to jump to a platform that is hovering over a large chasm, or ravine that would allow you to flank the enemy team or even get to a power weapon before someone else, these situations could really take advantage of the extra momentum sprint jumping allows. If sprinting returns, this is the mindset 343 need to have, they need to accommodate the maps on more than the enhanced speed sprint provides, which is why I feel the past maps failed, they were only being re-sized in which ruined them for competitive play as well as messed up multiplayer maps of past halos. This however does not mean that remakes would be impossible, it just means they can’t be carbon copies of the original which allot of 343s remakes feel, it literally feels like the just graphically updated the map and ported into the new halos engine most of the time.

The maps would need to see updates and changes, 343 could state true to the theme and layout but things like the skill jumps and other aspects that makes sprinting on those maps over powered, if a old map is to closed off, it needs to be more open, if their were small gaps in between the ground and a platform with a void feeling those gaps, then the gaps need to be made bigger and the void more dangerous, so sprinting can’t bypass what was obviously meant to be a ''Map Hazard". If we could take a look at the Midship remake that is in Halo 5 we will notice that the map has undergone a lot of changes both graphically and physically, that tells me the 343 is learning and that remake maps shouldn’t just be graphical updates, they need to accommodate the gameplay changes as well.

I might have had problems with the changes Bungie made with their remakes but I have came to understand why the maps had to undergo the changes that were given to them, if 343 could do this while also staying true to the theme of the map, which was something Bungie had problems with, example: Lockout From Halo 2 was meant to have a forerunner theme to it but for some reason it went for the industrial setting instead. The same happened to Tombstone in halo 2, while Hang em’ high clearly had a Forerunner theme to it, Tombstone was given a more human theme as the map was set in the city of Old Mombasa.

Now I am aware sprint is not confirmed, and even if it does not return, the maps can’t simply just be ported over, as Spartan Abilities would still have to be factored in, I trust 343 has learned from their mistakes with Halo 4 and will give us a more competitive feel in Halo 5, but this whole ‘‘Sprint will ruin competitive play’’ needs to stop, if it returns its not going to be the end, if it doesn’t well then you can be happy.

Population for Reach and Halo 4 tanked while Halo 3 stayed high in the stratosphere. Sprint mixed with other horrible additions kills Halo.

You might want to edit your post to have paragraphs before you get criticized for writing a wall of text. I’ll reply to it properly once I finish reading.

EDIT: On Topic

> As many of us know, sprinting has became extremely hated among the community, and many feel 343 would be fools to not remove it in Halo 5. But here is the thing sprinting has became pretty much standard in the fps’s of today, and Halo 4 is no exception.

The only video game I really play anymore is halo. So when I’m looking at what should be in halo I’m only really worried about whether or not it benefits halo. Not what Cod’s doing, not what titanfall is doing, nor Battlefield and all the other mainstream FPS games.

> With 2 Halos under our belt with the ability to sprint, removing it now would cast aside 2 generations that liked and possibly preferred it.

Dual wielding was only in two games and it was removed. The SMG was only in 2 games and it was removed. I don’t think game mechanics have tenure. There’s a lot of people who like dual wielding myself included but if it hurts the game then it shouldn’t be there.

> I understand what <mark>sprinting has done</mark>, to the maps. Making them larger and ruining 4v4 gameplay while also taking away the skill jumps and everything that made the maps competitive. But here’s the thing, <mark>its not sprints fault</mark> the maps are no longer competitive, that’s the maps themselves, you can have sprint and competitive built maps, its just the past 2 halos have leaned toward the casual crowd more so the competitive crowd. I believe if sprint was to return that it would not necessarily mean the end of competitive built multiplayer maps, heck if done right sprint could make them more competitive, by adding trick jumps that could have dire consequences on those that failed making it more rewarding on those that have mastered it. New situations such as having to jump to a platform that is hovering over a large chasm, or ravine that would allow you to flank the enemy team or even get to a power weapon before someone else, these situations could really take advantage of the extra momentum sprint jumping allows. If sprinting returns, this is the mindset 343 need to have, they need to accommodate the maps on more than the enhanced speed sprint provides, which is why I feel the past maps failed,

“Yes your honor, it is true my client killed 5 people but it wasn’t his fault. My client pleads insanity”.

back to a serious note, sure sprint might be compatible with competitive halo, it’s universe of infinite possibilities afterall. However is it worth the time and money it would take to research and develop a system where sprint works when we already have a system that worked fine? Maybe a boost in base movement speed would be nice (I’m looking at you halo 3) but overall, halo’s 1-3 weren’t really that slow paced, they had trick jumps and all the stuff that goes into making a great map that you mentioned as well.

> they were only being re-sized in which ruined them for competitive play as well as messed up multiplayer maps of past halos. This however does not mean that remakes would be impossible, it just means they can’t be carbon copies of the original which allot of 343s remakes feel, it literally feels like the just graphically updated the map and ported into the new halos engine most of the time. The maps would need to see updates and changes, 343 could state true to the theme and layout but things like the skill jumps and other aspects that makes sprinting on those maps over powered, if a old map is to closed off, it needs to be more open, if their were small gaps in between the ground and a platform with a void feeling those gaps, then the gaps need to be made bigger and the void more dangerous, so sprinting can’t bypass what was obviously meant to be a ''Map Hazard". If we could take a look at the Midship remake that is in Halo 5 we will notice that the map has undergone a lot of changes both graphically and physically, that tells me the 343 is learning and that remake maps shouldn’t just be graphical updates, they need to accommodate the gameplay changes as well.

I don’t know about you, but what I look forward to in a remake of a map is that it plays similar and feels similar to how I remember it. What you’ve said here they’ve already done. With the anniversary map pack for Halo reach and personally I prefer the classic versions. they didn’t really change things though, just added to them. I can’t imagine playing on Prisoner with DMRs and sprint and jet packs and armour lock cringes and once they got finished tweaking the map to work with these things it is no long a remake but a spiritual successor in my opinion.

> Now I am aware sprint is not confirmed, and even if it does not return, the maps can’t simply just be ported over, as Spartan Abilities would still have to be factored in, I trust 343 has learned from their mistakes with Halo 4 and will give us a more competitive feel in Halo 5, but this whole ‘‘Sprint will ruin competitive play’’ needs to stop, if it returns its not going to be the end, if it doesn’t well then you can be happy.

I’m hoping that one of those spartan abilities is a default thruster to replace sprint. I really like using that thing in Halo 4, and I’ve done some pretty neat things with it. It’s the best multiplayer addition Halo 4 has in my opinion. I’m not a game designer but I also don’t see it being so map changing the way was sprint is. I think the competitive community is pretty satisfied with the competitive aspect of halo already so I don’t think sprint can make the game anymore competitive than it already was. The only argument I’ve seen here for including sprint would be because it’s a standard in the FPS genre, and I will have to respectfully disagree.

Or they could just get rid of sprint and increase the base movement speed. But of course everyone wants to over-complicate things for God knows why.

> Or they could just get rid of sprint and increase the base movement speed. But of course everyone wants to over-complicate things for God knows why.

And take the lazy way out, look I am not to fond of sprint myself but realistically there is a possibility that it may return, and with good reason, I was simply suggesting ways that the multiplayer maps would not suffer do to sprint.

Deja vu…

Come on people, didn’t we just have a cluster-Yoink!- of sprint debates that didn’t end well?

> Deja vu…
>
> Come on people, didn’t we just have a cluster-Yoink!- of sprint debates that didn’t end well?

mine got locked down and forcibly killed off lol

> And take the lazy way out, look I am not to fond of sprint myself but realistically there is a possibility that it may return, and with good reason, I was simply suggesting ways that the multiplayer maps would not suffer do to sprint.

How would that be lazy? It would actually be the smarter thing to do instead of trying (for a 3rd time now, mind you) to make sprint work with Halo. Considering the last two iterations of sprint severely crippled competitive Halo, it would be idiotic to try again just because “every other FPS has it.” What they should do is stick to the formula of the original trilogy and move forward. Why? Because that’s what worked, and it worked extremely well. Just because 343 added a mainstream mechanic into their game doesn’t mean they’re stuck with it forever. They have to focus on reviving their core fan base instead of catering to the “current generation” of a whopping 20k players (and dropping) who still play Halo 4.

Making sprint work in Halo is like nailing jello to a tree. It doesn’t work, and I don’t understand why people support the trial and error mindset when we already had a working formula in the past.

>

Removing something that doesn’t work isn’t “taking the lazy way out”. If I drop a pickle in my coffee I’m not going to sit there and consider ways the flavour could work. I’m going to dump it out, throw the pickle away, and pour some pickle-less coffee.

If that’s “taking the lazy way”, that’s fine by me. At least the “lazy way” works. The complicated way obviously doesn’t.

> How would that be lazy? It would actually be the smarter thing to do instead of trying (for a 3rd time now, mind you) to make sprint work with Halo. Considering the last two iterations of sprint severely crippled competitive Halo, it would be idiotic to try again just because “every other FPS has it.” What they should do is stick to the formula of the original trilogy and move forward. Why? Because that’s what worked, and it worked extremely well. Just because 343 added a mainstream mechanic into their game doesn’t mean they’re stuck with it forever. They have to focus on reviving their core fan base instead of catering to the “current generation” of a whopping 20k players (and dropping) who still play Halo 4.
>
> Making sprint work in Halo is like nailing jello to a tree. It doesn’t work, and I don’t understand why people support the trial and error mindset when we already had a working formula in the past.

Don’t even need to up the movement speed, just the FOV, Halo was always 70degrees FOV, crank that to 90 and it will feel a lot faster (the human mind is such an easy thing to trick).

> >
>
> Removing something that doesn’t work isn’t “taking the lazy way out”. If I drop a pickle in my coffee I’m not going to sit there and consider ways the flavour could work. I’m going to dump it out, throw the pickle away, and pour some pickle-less coffee.
>
> If that’s “taking the lazy way”, that’s fine by me. At least the “lazy way” works. The complicated way obviously doesn’t.

I agree whole hardheartedly but totally props on your pickle comment, total shock value haha.

If sprint must come back then this is how I want it to be.

As you’re walking forward in the same direction you slowly accelerate until you reach a max speed after 4-5 seconds. And then this sprint lasts much longer than what we have now. (this makes more sense canonically since Spartans can obviously sprint for longer than half a dozen seconds) your gun is never lowered while you’re at top speed.

This will help with moving on foot in BTB. And somewhat on smaller maps until you gotta change directions. I was thinking if you change directions by more than 30 degrees or so you go back to base movement and the more you change direction the more speed you lose.

Since it takes 5 seconds to reach top speed, people wont be escaping death, if someone does decide to sprint off, well you can sprint and shoot while they can only sprint. Sprint won’t necessarily hurt map design because even on the maps we have now this type of sprint wouldn’t be very accessible.

Overall I think this should allow devs to design decent maps and allow us to travers the map faster when sprint is needed. Hopefully they don’t create a need for us to sprint.

> Don’t even need to up the movement speed, just the FOV, Halo was always 70degrees FOV, crank that to 90 and it will feel a lot faster (the human mind is such an easy thing to trick).

Whad’ya know, an illusion of speed that doesn’t absolutely destroy Halo combat. I agree FoV is another reasonable alternative. I remember watching this and I wanted to believe he was moving faster when he really wasn’t.

> > Don’t even need to up the movement speed, just the FOV, Halo was always 70degrees FOV, crank that to 90 and it will feel a lot faster (the human mind is such an easy thing to trick).
>
> Whad’ya know, an illusion of speed that doesn’t absolutely destroy Halo combat. I agree FoV is another reasonable alternative. I remember watching this and I wanted to believe he was moving faster when he really wasn’t.

That video is physically nauseating,I would never play that in any life.

> That video is physically nauseating,I would never play that in any life.

Yeah I literally got a headache the first time I watched it. 150 is way too drastic of course. 90 would do the trick.

> > That video is physically nauseating,I would never play that in any life.
>
> Yeah I literally got a headache the first time I watched it. 150 is way too drastic of course. 90 would do the trick.

do you have a video of 90? just interested???

> do you have a video of 90? just interested???

This guy plays through Halo 2 in 90 FoV. Here’s one for Halo 3 too.

> >
>
> Removing something that doesn’t work isn’t “taking the lazy way out”. If I drop a pickle in my coffee I’m not going to sit there and consider ways the flavour could work. I’m going to dump it out, throw the pickle away, and pour some pickle-less coffee.
>
> If that’s “taking the lazy way”, that’s fine by me. At least the “lazy way” works. The complicated way obviously doesn’t.

That could be delicious.