Another post about Infinite's graphics!

Does the game just look…off? Or is it just me?

I’ve noticed a few people share this sentiment as well. To me it’s not necessarily the textures or pop-in or whatever. The game to me looks like a mix of Reach, an RTS game (specifically Halo Wars 2), and Halo 5. The armor largely looks good to me but that’s about where it ends. I don’t know how games work or engines or anything and I definitely don’t have an expansive enough vocabulary to voice my thoughts in this context but I’ll try my best. The game looks like a cartoon but also not like a cartoon and also like megabloks and the environments look like they came straight out of an indie Unreal Engine game.

The armor looks like Reach. The armor is dirty and slightly more “realistic” in design similar to how Reach was. Infinite also seems to carry a lot of the muted and grainy colors from that game in environments as well. This is fine and all (even though I personally preferred how Halo 3 was done with a very “pretty” look to everything) but then you have the designs of other things looking very cartoon like. I was playing Halo 3 earlier and looked at the Battle Rifle and whilst whether or not it looked good is up for debate it made sense. It didn’t look out of place. It seems in Infinite though that the armor is very grainy and authentic looking whereas the BR looks like it came out of a Megablok set. In the MP trailer you have these somewhat authentic looking environments and then you have what looks to me is Megablok vehicles roaming them. It just looks wrong. The game as a whole seems to have like multiple different design directions at once. I look at the Banished Chopper and If you told me it was from Fortnite I’d believe you. Not that it’s a bad design but when you then look at the spartan sitting in it and he looks like he just came out of Reach with pretty authentic and believable power armor it’s just this weird dichotomy.

Halo 4/5 were extremely ugly to me. Especially 4. But those games knew what they were supposed to look like. Even if I didn’t like how the game looked it was clear that the people who designed the game had one vision for it and accomplished it. Here it looks like the people designing everything, the people making the textures, color palette, lighting people, etc etc etc, were not on the same page. Interiors really remind me of Halo 5 in terms of design and the colors/lighting but have spartans from reach in them using weapons from a megabloks set.
At this point I’ve rambled but to close out. The game looks like it didn’t have a clear vision in terms of design. The colors, the lighting, the designs of things in-game often seem to clash with one another or even themselves at points. At the end of the day the game isn’t out and it may be a different story come beta so I’ll wait and see but the game still doesn’t look “good” to me even despite improvements made since last year and them ditching the overcomplicated designs of H4/5.

Edit: I want to reiterate that this isn’t a “oh they just need to replace some of the textures” Or something. It looks to me that all aspects of the way the game looks clash with one another. Think if you had like Valorant characters using CSGO weapons in a WW2 setting. That’s a major exaggeration and oversimplifying it quite a bit but if it helps get the point across. The problem seems to me to be not only designs of things but the way the lighting works and the color palette used along with other things that my normie brain has no understanding of.

Edit 2: Think I’ve found a good way of explaining my piece in this reply here:

I’ve noticed that one of the biggest reasons 343’s environments look so off to me is how REAL they look. Which ironically looks bad. Halo 3/Reach’s environments never looked real to me. They were grounded enough to be immersive but were very pretty and stylized. I think that’s whats so weird here. Spartan design looks great. Weapon design looks great. Environments look great. But they’re all different styles so when you put them together it turns to mud.

I feel you.
To me the new flashy shieldbreaks ruin the whole experience.

> 2533274829935313;2:
> I feel you.
> To me the new flashy shieldbreaks ruin the whole experience.

Yea that’s another aspect. Pretty grounded looking Spartans but then a super bright cartoon-y shield break. Lots of examples like this. It’s all these little things that add up to make the game look just .-. funky

> 2533274894270677;3:
> > 2533274829935313;2:
> > t then a super bright cartoon-y shield break.

Cartoon-y is the exact thought I used on my Post ^^ - Feels good to not be the only one with this interpretation.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/shield-breaking-animation-too-bright-cartoonish/e3638e88-e023-4041-a4b3-d2642c50455c/posts?page=1

> 2533274829935313;4:
> > 2533274894270677;3:
> > > 2533274829935313;2:
> > > t then a super bright cartoon-y shield break.
>
> Cartoon-y is the exact thought I used on my Post ^^ - Feels good to not be the only one with this interpretation.
>
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/shield-breaking-animation-too-bright-cartoonish/e3638e88-e023-4041-a4b3-d2642c50455c/posts?page=1

Yea I’m looking at the the MP overview rn and I look at the BR and it looks kinda like a megabloks gun. Then I look at the environment and it looks realistic with lots of detail. Then I look at the spartans and they look pretty dark and grainy and its just these three completely different design pillars. Reach was never a realistic looking game. It was halo 3 with a darker look and slightly more detail. I’ve noticed that one of the biggest reasons 343’s environments look so off to me is how REAL they look. Which ironically looks bad. Halo 3/Reach’s environments never looked real to me. They were grounded enough to be immersive but were very pretty and stylized. I think that’s whats so weird here. Spartan design looks great. Weapon design looks great. Environments look great. But they’re all different styles so when you put them together it turns to mud.

The only thing visually that has bugged me so far is the shield pop animation. I think it’s too exaggerated and the colour is too vibrant. Other than that I think the game looks good visually.

> 2533275031939856;6:
> The only thing visually that has bugged me so far is the shield pop animation. I think it’s too exaggerated and the colour is too vibrant. Other than that I think the game looks good visually.

To each their own.

i have found a reason why the graphics feel slightly off: the contrast setting and satuartion are low, making the things look like cheap plastic. the color hue overall is also slightly off.
I made a quick fix to some of the screenshots: [Halo infinite color/contrast fix - Album on Imgur

](Halo infinite color/contrast fix - Album on Imgur)
343 industries needs to comit to colors and contrast. sunlight can be extremely bright and halo 3 captured this brightness in its lighting, making the lighting look phenomenal for its day and still pretty good for today. halo 3 also had a very good color balancing. i tried to recreate this brightness and color balancing in these screenshots.
these are simple “display settings”, not texture or engine changes. it would be very easy to implement and use no extra rescources, as its simply a setting like gamma in game.
if 343 does not fine tune the display values, i will upload a reshade setting to do it.

> 2533274945422049;8:
> i have found a reason why the graphics feel slightly off: the contrast setting and satuartion are low, making the things look like cheap plastic. the color hue overall is also slightly off.
> I made a quick fix to some of the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Mr37HDZ
>
>
343 industries needs to comit to colors and contrast. sunlight can be extremely bright and halo 3 captured this brightness in its lighting, making the lighting look phenomenal for its day and still pretty good for today. halo 3 also had a very good color balancing. i tried to recreate this brightness and color balancing in these screenshots.
> these are simple “display settings”, not texture or engine changes. it would be very easy to implement and use no extra rescources, as its simply a setting like gamma in game.
> if 343 does not fine tune the display values, i will upload a reshade setting to do it.

I disagree. I think it’s more cause of the lighting, textures, and overall design of things. You have megablok weapons and vehicles in a realistic environment with reach style spartans. It doesn’t mesh well.

> 2533274894270677;9:
> > 2533274945422049;8:
> > i have found a reason why the graphics feel slightly off: the contrast setting and satuartion are low, making the things look like cheap plastic. the color hue overall is also slightly off.
> > I made a quick fix to some of the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Mr37HDZ
> >
> >
343 industries needs to comit to colors and contrast. sunlight can be extremely bright and halo 3 captured this brightness in its lighting, making the lighting look phenomenal for its day and still pretty good for today. halo 3 also had a very good color balancing. i tried to recreate this brightness and color balancing in these screenshots.
> > these are simple “display settings”, not texture or engine changes. it would be very easy to implement and use no extra rescources, as its simply a setting like gamma in game.
> > if 343 does not fine tune the display values, i will upload a reshade setting to do it.
>
> I disagree. I think it’s more cause of the lighting, textures, and overall design of things. You have megablok weapons and vehicles in a realistic environment with reach style spartans. It doesn’t mesh well.

the fixes make the spartan look less drab (more color), the environment more cartoony (more intensity in color and contrast) , and the weapons more realistic (better metal look, less squaky red) and help show details on the textures through the higher contrast. it helps mesh the artstyles.

> 2533274945422049;10:
> > 2533274894270677;9:
> > > 2533274945422049;8:
> > > i have found a reason why the graphics feel slightly off: the contrast setting and satuartion are low, making the things look like cheap plastic. the color hue overall is also slightly off.
> > > I made a quick fix to some of the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/Mr37HDZ
> > >
> > >
343 industries needs to comit to colors and contrast. sunlight can be extremely bright and halo 3 captured this brightness in its lighting, making the lighting look phenomenal for its day and still pretty good for today. halo 3 also had a very good color balancing. i tried to recreate this brightness and color balancing in these screenshots.
> > > these are simple “display settings”, not texture or engine changes. it would be very easy to implement and use no extra rescources, as its simply a setting like gamma in game.
> > > if 343 does not fine tune the display values, i will upload a reshade setting to do it.
> >
> > I disagree. I think it’s more cause of the lighting, textures, and overall design of things. You have megablok weapons and vehicles in a realistic environment with reach style spartans. It doesn’t mesh well.
>
> the fixes make the spartan look less drab (more color), the environment more cartoony (more intensity in color and contrast) , and the weapons more realistic (better metal look, less squaky red) and help show details on the textures through the higher contrast. it helps mesh the artstyles.

Not really to be honest. I see what you’re going for but after switching between the images (yes in full screen) the difference isn’t noticeable. Or if it is it’s barely there and the issue still persists. Doing a reshade is putting a bandaid on a severed arm. The problem is the literal design of things in the game. The environment just looks too real and the guns too cartoony and the armor just…too different from both.

You may have your problems with graphics, but Halo 5’s were by no means ugly. The game was literally gorgeous, in 2015 one of the best games graphically on the Xbox.

> 2535443635747865;12:
> You may have your problems with graphics, but Halo 5’s were by no means ugly. The game was literally gorgeous, in 2015 one of the best games graphically on the Xbox.

I personally along with many people thought the overall design of the game was incredibly ugly. Sure the game was graphically fine but…so? Impressive textures doesn’t mean much when put together on an object it looks like -Yoink-.

> 2535443635747865;12:
> You may have your problems with graphics, but Halo 5’s were by no means ugly. The game was literally gorgeous, in 2015 one of the best games graphically on the Xbox.

indeed. but some color and contrast editing makes it better looking still. contrast and color fix the plastic complaint.

i sometimes think 343 has HDR activated accidentaly on their monitors and does therefore make contrast poor games xD

The only thing that bugs me are the shield pops and regeneration. Everything else looks good.

> 2533275015357155;15:
> The only thing that bugs me are the shield pops and regeneration. Everything else looks good.

To each their own.