another cross over question

as a fan of both the Halo series and the Mass Effect series, I was wondering how the Reapers would fare if they were brought to the halo universe

wut u guys think?

Fare against who? The only species I could see defeating them is the Precursors, and maybe the Forerunners.

UNSC/ONI
Covenant
Forerunner
Precursors
Flood
you name it

The Reapers would be utterly annihilated by the Flood and Forerunners. The Covenant might even have a fair chance too.

Reaper.

It’d be strange but I agree that the Flood or the Forerunners or the Precursors have a chance to defeat them.
Otherwise it’s a nice question.

The reapers would be out of their element against the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunners,Flood, and the Precursors. The Flood, Forerunners, and Precursors for obvious reasons, but the reapers probably couldn’t defend against the Covenant’s plasma weapons and the UNSC weapons would bypass the shields because the bullets travel slower than the Mass Effect bullets. Plus, a UNSC orbital defense platform would probably be able to gut an actual reaper.

Aren’t Reapers like extremely weak to plasma and heat? (Sorry haven’t played ME but I know some people who do) All of the Covenant’s weapons, besides the Brutes and some needle based weapons, are plasma so… how did these things become a threat again?

> 2533274883849234;8:
> Aren’t Reapers like extremely weak to plasma and heat? (Sorry haven’t played ME but I know some people who do) All of the Covenant’s weapons, besides the Brutes and some needle based weapons, are plasma so… how did these things become a threat again?

Cause in the ME universe the reaper’s influence the progression of all tech via what they leave behind. Everyone uses their mass relay network, and develops weapons and technologies centered around it. Then the reaper’s come in with a combo of mind control + better versions of all that tech they left behind.

I don’t think it’s mentioned that they’re particularly vulnerable to plasma and heat though.

> 2533274907292894;7:
> The reapers would be out of their element against the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunners,Flood, and the Precursors. The Flood, Forerunners, and Precursors for obvious reasons, but the reapers probably couldn’t defend against the Covenant’s plasma weapons and the UNSC weapons would bypass the shields because the bullets travel slower than the Mass Effect bullets. Plus, a UNSC orbital defense platform would probably be able to gut an actual reaper.

Kinetic barriers do protect against bullets.

Also, I think ME’s railgun tech is better than halo’s, so the UDP’s being able to do much to a reaper is iffy.

Dr. Halsey… Game over!

From my post in the Halo vs. Star Wars thread on Shepard’s ‘canonicity’ becoming a serious issue in the object of this discussions’ relevance and point.

> > In the end, the same core philosophy remains true: that for each individual player, their version of Commander Shepard is the only one that matters. Still, it’s worth considering the different reactions that Mass Effect may have received if it put a human woman front and center against a galaxy of prejudice and xenophobia.
>
> Shepard being a ‘he’ is about as canon as it gets. Even his canon form being paragon, male, and gay still wouldn’t be enough to disprove that my Commander Shepard plays Halo, thus making it impossible for the two universes to ever go to war against one another. This is why I find _____universe vs. _____universe debates ultimately pretty ridiculous when an RPG is involved as one of the two combatants. The latter ultimately wins every time because your ‘role’ as the player is what that particularly universe revolves around and ultimately depends upon for consistency (as opposed to story-driven narratives, such as the titular discussions’ Star Wars and Halo, where the canon depends upon the “word of god” adverse to the player’s role, wherein the player is a mere participant or spectator to a story out of his or her control).

> 2533274964189700;10:
> > 2533274907292894;7:
> > The reapers would be out of their element against the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunners,Flood, and the Precursors. The Flood, Forerunners, and Precursors for obvious reasons, but the reapers probably couldn’t defend against the Covenant’s plasma weapons and the UNSC weapons would bypass the shields because the bullets travel slower than the Mass Effect bullets. Plus, a UNSC orbital defense platform would probably be able to gut an actual reaper.
>
>
> Kinetic barriers do protect against bullets.
>
> Also, I think ME’s railgun tech is better than halo’s, so the UDP’s being able to do much to a reaper is iffy.

I kind of figured that the kinetic barriers functioned like the sentinel shields from the Ghosts of Onyx, but only against faster projectiles. Might be wrong. Who really knows?

Not too we’ll I’d guess. The ODPs pack serious firepower.

> 2533274907292894;13:
> > 2533274964189700;10:
> > > 2533274907292894;7:
> > > The reapers would be out of their element against the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunners,Flood, and the Precursors. The Flood, Forerunners, and Precursors for obvious reasons, but the reapers probably couldn’t defend against the Covenant’s plasma weapons and the UNSC weapons would bypass the shields because the bullets travel slower than the Mass Effect bullets. Plus, a UNSC orbital defense platform would probably be able to gut an actual reaper.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Kinetic barriers do protect against bullets.
> >
> > Also, I think ME’s railgun tech is better than halo’s, so the UDP’s being able to do much to a reaper is iffy.
>
>
>
> I kind of figured that the kinetic barriers functioned like the sentinel shields from the Ghosts of Onyx, but only against faster projectiles. Might be wrong. Who really knows?

Didn’t the onyx sentinel shields only not work against rocks? I mean, a bullet still does travel extremely fast. Anything going that fast you’d want your barrier to work against.

I feel like if kinetic barriers didn’t defend again standard firearms that standard firearms would still be extremely popular in the mass effect universe, otherwise using mass accelerator weapons is effectively gimping yourself.

Mind you, there are bound to be millions of Reapers if I recall correctly.
The Reapers are smarter and would overwhelm the UNSC and Covenant. The Forerunners would get harvested as well. If a parasite could defeat them, they don’t stand a chance against machines that harvest their own people and turn them into husks.

> 2533274964189700;15:
> > 2533274907292894;13:
> > > 2533274964189700;10:
> > > > 2533274907292894;7:
> > > > The reapers would be out of their element against the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunners,Flood, and the Precursors. The Flood, Forerunners, and Precursors for obvious reasons, but the reapers probably couldn’t defend against the Covenant’s plasma weapons and the UNSC weapons would bypass the shields because the bullets travel slower than the Mass Effect bullets. Plus, a UNSC orbital defense platform would probably be able to gut an actual reaper.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Kinetic barriers do protect against bullets.
> > >
> > > Also, I think ME’s railgun tech is better than halo’s, so the UDP’s being able to do much to a reaper is iffy.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I kind of figured that the kinetic barriers functioned like the sentinel shields from the Ghosts of Onyx, but only against faster projectiles. Might be wrong. Who really knows?
>
>
> Didn’t the onyx sentinel shields only not work against rocks? I mean, a bullet still does travel extremely fast. Anything going that fast you’d want your barrier to work against.
>
> I feel like if kinetic barriers didn’t defend again standard firearms that standard firearms would still be extremely popular in the mass effect universe, otherwise using mass accelerator weapons is effectively gimping yourself.

The onyx sentinel shields didn’t work against slow-moving projectiles, like rocks, and a bullet (I think) from a mass accelerator travels faster than a bullet using gunpowder. So that is why I thought the UNSC weapons would bypass the barriers. You make a good point about handicapping yourself if the kinetic barriers didn’t protect against the standard firearms. Although, the mass accelerator guns are the new standard firearms in the ME universe.

> 2533274876456769;2:
> Fare against who? The only species I could see defeating them is the Precursors, and maybe the Forerunners.

The Forerunner military vs the Reapers? The mecha-cuttlefish get flattened in literally every single naval and ground engagement. Forerunners field [super]capital-scale vessels as large as/larger than the Citadel with some degree of regularity. Their smallest capital-scale vessel (an 800 meter ovoid-shaped craft) is designated as a Planet Breaker (which reminds me to ask Catalog if that is a description of it’s capabilities or if it is just a ‘fancy’ name like Star Wars’ Star Destroyers, which have AFAIK never been shown to destroy stars). Reapers have a maximum shown firepower of 454 kilotons. Forerunner starship weaponry are a few orders of magnitude stronger than that.

Here, check this thread out. It’s a compilation of what Forerunners and their technology are capable of. Hell, they even have somewhat of a counter to indoctrination (the only potential OCP that the Reapers have), even assuming that they don’t just use ancilla-controlled murderfleets to stamp on the horrible affront to the Mantle that are the Reapers.

> 2533275018127719;16:
> Mind you, there are bound to be millions of Reapers if I recall correctly.
> The Reapers are smarter and would overwhelm the UNSC and Covenant. The Forerunners would get harvested as well. If a parasite could defeat them, they don’t stand a chance against machines that harvest their own people and turn them into husks.

Sorry for the double-post, but the quoting system is… odd.

Obviously you haven’t read the Forerunner Saga, especially Silentium. Let’s put it this way: the Flood infestation seen during the games are nowhere on the same scale as the Flood infestation that the Forerunners had to deal with. Also star roads (and other neural physics structures) played a big role as well- star roads being micro-cosmic strings made of conventionally invulnerable materials (vulnerable only to an Array pulse) that was capable of flying at .33c straight through Forerunner vessels, installations, and planets without being damaged.

There are other factors that came into play during the Forerunner-Flood war- factors that, for the most part, the Reapers don’t have equivalents for.

wow, that got very in-depth, im lovin this, lol