Another Armor Comparison Thread

Reach Vs 4

I just keep looking back at Reach’s armor, avatars on waypoint, deviant art, google,and especially the noble team concept art before they remade them.

I just can’t believe how they could have taken that awesome looking MJOLNIR and then made the gear in 4…

I don’t “hate” it per say…this isn’t a hate thread, I’m just curious of why they didn’t take the look of that amazing, looks like it could actually be used in combat armor, and made things the way they did :confused:

Rule of cool, bro, rule of cool.

Facedesks for saying “bro” on a forum

I honestly wasn’t a huge fan of the Reach armor. Yes, it looked more soldierly, but I felt that it lost the feel of a supersoldier that the armor in Halo 3 had. It was definitely geared to the spartan III’s (fodder soldiers). I like how the build of the spartan IV’s reasserts it as being a supersoldier armor. Sure, they go over the top with a few variants (I’m looking at you, Pioneer), but I think it was an improvement overall.

There are some armour variants from Reach that I liked, although overall I prefer Halo 4’s armour It seems much more like the armour from Halo 3. There’s also a lot of variety in Halo 4’s armour compared to Reach. Reach’s chest pieces in particular were very similiar, just the same blocky chest piece with various accessories tacked on. I struggled to find one that I liked.

I prefer Reach’s Gungnir compared to Halo 4’s.The Blocky aesthetic looked so much better compared to Halo 4’s more rounded Gungnir appearance. Reach’s Scout armour was nice, it could have been added to Halo 4 as a seperate armour variant. I also liked Jorge’s grenadier chest piece (The one with the shoulder guard), and the Commando helmet.

I like a lot of Halo 4’s armour though. There’s lots of variety, and they all look pretty good. off the top of my head I can’t think of a single armour set that I outright dislike. I just miss the black undersuit.

This is what I was talking about

Real Spartans

> This is what I was talking about
>
> http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/099/4/6/spartan_big_team_by_giovannimicarelli-d3dkqsu.png
>
> Real Spartans

They just look like over-glorified ODST’s to me rather than supersoldiers like we saw in Halo 3.

> > This is what I was talking about
> >
> > http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/099/4/6/spartan_big_team_by_giovannimicarelli-d3dkqsu.png
> >
> > Real Spartans
>
> They just look like over-glorified ODST’s to me rather than supersoldiers like we saw in Halo 3.

I personally didn’t like Halo 4’s armor. Some were alright, others were just…
I like how Halo 3 had simplistic, but functional looking armor sets. Reach sort of built upon that, but some of the armor sets were too bulky. Back onto Halo 4, the armor looks too slim. Way too slim.

All of these helmets look less like a futuristic genetically-enhanced super soldier and more like something from a Japanese anime:
Defender (why the indentions in the visor?)
Engineer (how can anyone see through that visor?)
FOTUS (unicorn?)
Pathfinder
Pioneer
Protector
Raider
Tracker
Wetwork

> All of these helmets look less like a futuristic genetically-enhanced super soldier and more like something from a Japanese anime:
> Defender (why the indentions in the visor?)
> Engineer (how can anyone see through that visor?)
> FOTUS (unicorn?)
> Pathfinder
> Pioneer
> Protector
> Raider
> Tracker
> Wetwork

The armor sets don’t make sense.

“Defender”
how is a Defender Spartan able to “Defend” more by wearing a set like that? and yes, why are there indents in the visor?

“Engineer”
The visor wouldn’t allow the user to see well in combat, and the armor itself does not have any built-in tools or pockets for tools used by a combat Engie

“FOTUS”
Random set that has no purpose.

“Pathfinder”
The Helmet has no gear that could assist the user in any Pathfinding at all

“Pioneer”
Visor makes no sense, nor is there any gear on the armor to allow the spartan to secure a foreign position.

“Protector”
You can’t protect what you can’t see.

“Raider”
The helmet looks nothing like something the UNSC would produce for any reason.

“Tracker”
How is one supposed to Track something if they only have Lights where the eyes are supposed to be?

“Wetwork”
Helm looks stupid, and a Vertical visor like that won’t let the user see anything

if you can’t see anything, how are you supposed to work with anything?

:confused:

> All of these helmets look less like a futuristic genetically-enhanced super soldier and more like something from a Japanese anime:
> FOTUS (unicorn?)
> Pathfinder
> Pioneer
> Protector
> Raider
> Tracker
> Wetwork

Pathfinder actually looks quite usable.

What’s up with people thinking visors are required to see?

Yeah… actually pathfinder is one of the few in 4 I find usable… its just shaped weirdly. Idk why they are all weirdly shaped actually.

And erickyboo, If your helmet gets knocked on hard enough enough to make it unusable, then you’d at least be able to see out, lets say, Reach’s commando.

Ones like infiltrator, those camera’s go out… your gonna be blind.

Those spartan III’s in the picture, are true Spartan’s

The ones in 4 are over glorified ODST’s in power armor, and I hate to talk down on ODST’s…

> What’s up with people thinking visors are required to see?

Why do some helmets have visors and some don’t?

Engineer has a visor. It’s that incredibly small slit in the center.

> Pathfinder actually looks quite usable.

Sure, it’s usable. But I can’t think of a good reason to deliberately design a helmet to be so oddly-shaped and… well, ugly.

> if you can’t see anything, how are you supposed to work with anything?
>
>
>
> :confused:

You realize the helmets with no visors have internal projections that use an external camera to show the user what’s happening, correct? Basically, what you’re seeing in the game is what the Spartan would be seeing via the projection. Remember Reach’s Gungnir variant? I’m pretty sure the “visor” on that was a camera that did just this.

Reach’s armor looked okay, but most of it looked much too bulky. I understand why, though, as it is canonically logical for them to be bulkier than the armor in CE, 2, and 3.

Halo 4 has some of the best looking armor hands down and I think it’s mostly because of the gap in graphics between games. Maybe if the armor in H4 came out 4 years ago, it wouldn’t be better than Reach, but Halo 4’s armor is clearly much smoother and slicker looking than anything Reach had.

They could be one way see through, pretty sure the metal would be stronger than the visor.

The little slits could also house refractive technology or camera to allow better protection with good aperture.

Spartans don’t actually see “through” the visor. The inside of the helmet just projects what’s in front of the spartan into his/her visor. The only way to see through it is to depolarize it. Otherwise helmets with small visors (I’m lookin’ at you Gungnir) or Emile’s skull-carved helmet would be useless.

Also, it’s weird to see people criticizing Raider and FOTUS when Halo 3 had Hayabusa.

> FOTUS (unicorn?)
> Pathfinder
> Pioneer
> Protector
> Raider
> Tracker
> Wetwork

Defender-has more armor (more than most) armor around the abdoman and a greater range of motion to assits with movement The indents in the visor however i cannot come up with an explanation for.

Engineer- the circles on the outside of the helmet can help the spartan to better interface with machines and vehicles as it could sync up to multiple seperate systems at once and analyze them more efficiently. The bulked up armor helps to protect them during live fire scenarios.

FOTUS- no comment

Pathfinder- the armor seems more light weight, and allows better range of movement in order to be used as scouting armor

Pioneer- has multiple tubes coming off of it, this could be used for dealing with unknown enviormental changes. Also seems to be lightweight and very free range of motion. (kind of like a lightweight HAZOP armor)

Protector- Thicker shoulder pauldrons and chest armor and no visor (the weakest part of a helmet) Helps protect the user.

Raider-No comment

Tracker- The 3 lights on the visor could be used to triangulate a target, observe systems, provide camera feeds or light up an area. Possible advanced optics for long range observation.

Wetwork- Armor wise its very light and slim (useful in stealth) as for the helmet it could be used to help focus the user on the target?

FOTUS is reverse-engineered Forerunner tech.

Raider is for psychological warfare.

Another thing, Spartan III’s apparently got MJOLNIR in Reach, But I believe it was an older Model, So it couldn’t have been too expensive.

Hows the UNSC getting so much money to make Infinity and the Spartan IV program?