Annoying Inconsistency in Halo: Nightfall...

Okay so in Halo: Nightfall we discover a one Randall Aiken (Randall-037) was a Spartan-II supersoldier who firstly went MIA. Yet upon creating a family he had no interest in any more military service and so ONI wish to ‘decommissioned’ their asset, however, he volunteered for them to remove most of his augmentations, for his survival…
Yet during Halo: The Graphic Novel we discover John-117 Mjolnir Mark VI Power Assault Armor is being tested, by Maria-062, prior to the Battle of Earth… yet she could retire, without being decommissioned?
Why is this the case… well I have some theories:

• Since she voluntarily retired, or rather requested to retire due to parenthood, the ONI asset is not technically MIA… like Randall-037 was, who basically went off the radar, almost considered going AWOL.

• Since she is living on Earth, the core world planet, the Office of Naval Intelligence can rest-easy and watch Maria-062… while Randall-037 living on the outer colony worlds, Insurrection is a high priority problem, and he could leak classified information about the Spartans augmentations.- Since Maria-062 is technically still in service, with the Army Reserves, she can still be used… unlike how Randall-037 totally abandoned his military life and deemed no future with it.And so this is why I think they are different in terms of retiring… I suppose sort of like the difference between medically discharged and dishonorably discharged.

Well, Aiken still serves the Sedran guard forces. But I think you’re on the money with the last 2 points.

I still find Maria-062s retirment from active duty to be a little strange. Humanity was being slaughtered by the Covenant and there weren’t that many spartan II’s to begin with, especially not after Reach. The fact that she is in the reserves makes me think that she would still have been willing to serve on the frontline if her request had been denied. ONI seems to treat spartans more like objects than humans. Why they would allow a healthy spartan to be removed from the fronline is strange.

ONI originally planned to re-integrate Randall-037 into the UNSC, but he refused. I think that is the reason for Maria being treated better. She was still in active duty when she made the request and she is still avaliable if she’s needed. Randall refused ONI’s “offer” of returning in any capacity. From ONI’s point of view, they get zero return from their investment in Randall.

Slightly off topic, I wonder if we’ll ever see Maria and Cassandra-075 again. Maria is still around and Cassandra-075 seemed to have recovered fairly well when she last wrote to John.

> 2533274964189700;2:
> Well, Aiken still serves the Sedran guard forces. But I think you’re on the money with the last 2 points.

I think the Sedran guard is independent from the UNSC and ONI. Him serving in the armed forces of a colony that doesn’t like the UNSC/ONI isn’t positive in their eyes.

I would say Randall is more secure in his position because he genuinely moved on from his military life. He spent over a decade estranged from the UNSC, and in that time settled into his new role has father and husband. ONI likely agreed to have him remove his augmentations so he A) wouldn’t become a superhuman threat to the UNSC in case he did turn, and B) because he was no longer suited for the military. He wasn’t indoctrinated any longer, he had a family and people who counted on him, so killing him was perhaps seen as too big of a risk, forcing him back into the fold might make him too volatile and so they decided to just leave him alone, with the payment of his superhuman traits. Mariah makes absolutely no sense to me because she was a fully capable Spartan II who retired for apparently no reason and no fuss from ONI; Randall has justification that Mariah simply doesn’t have, but at least Mariah left on good terms. Randall lived in a dark zone for over 10 years and his loyalties were likely shaken against ONI (and were, judging from his comments in Nightfall). The calmest, most level headed approach was to remove the possible threat of a Spartan while agreeing to leave him alone, without having to resort to violence.

ONI likely still keeps an eye on him, Locke did know everything about him after all, but it didn’t have to turn into a big thing.

> 2533274798011936;5:
> I would say Randall is more secure in his position because he genuinely moved on from his military life. He spent over a decade estranged from the UNSC, and in that time settled into his new role has father and husband. ONI likely agreed to have him remove his augmentations so he A) wouldn’t become a superhuman threat to the UNSC in case he did turn, and B) because he was no longer suited for the military. He wasn’t indoctrinated any longer, he had a family and people who counted on him, so killing him was perhaps seen as too big of a risk, forcing him back into the fold might make him too volatile and so they decided to just leave him alone, with the payment of his superhuman traits. Mariah makes absolutely no sense to me because she was a fully capable Spartan II who retired for apparently no reason and no fuss from ONI; Randall has justification that Mariah simply doesn’t have, but at least Mariah left on good terms. Randall lived in a dark zone for over 10 years and his loyalties were likely shaken against ONI (and were, judging from his comments in Nightfall). The calmest, most level headed approach was to remove the possible threat of a Spartan while agreeing to leave him alone, without having to resort to violence.
>
> ONI likely still keeps an eye on him, Locke did know everything about him after all, but it didn’t have to turn into a big thing.

I think they did try to kill him, but they obviously failed, so they decided to negotiate with him.

> 2533274809788760;6:
> I think they did try to kill him, but they obviously failed, so they decided to negotiate with him.

His bio doesn’t mention anything about an execution attempt. Just that ONI tried to decommission him, and he forcefully refused, however brokered a deal, where they would reverse his augmentations, as a result of his retirement.

> 2533274960439808;7:
> > 2533274809788760;6:
> > I think they did try to kill him, but they obviously failed, so they decided to negotiate with him.
>
>
> His bio doesn’t mention anything about an execution attempt. Just that ONI tried to decommission him, and he forcefully refused, however brokered a deal, where they would reverse his augmentations, as a result of his retirement.

In my mind, to try and decommission him is the same as trying to kill him. If you decommission something, it goes from an active status to inactive, in this case, from living to dead. He had no wish to remain a spartan, so why would he resist if ONI only tried to remove his augmentations the first time? I view it as an assassination attempt that failed, forcing them to reach a deal with him that both parts could live with.

> 2533274809788760;8:
> In my mind, to try and decommission him is the same as trying to kill him. If you decommission something, it goes from an active status to inactive, in this case, from living to dead. He had no wish to remain a spartan, so why would he resist if ONI only tried to remove his augmentations the first time? I view it as an assassination attempt that failed, forcing them to reach a deal with him that both parts could live with.

ONI tried to decommission him which he “forcefully rejected and succeeded”. You can’t reject an assassination attempt, you can merely avoid it. “decommission” doesn’t have to mean death, it could mean a ‘dishonourable discharge’, with a court martial for abandoning duty. In other words, treason, in which assassination is not the only solution. The words are vague which means we can only go off of interpretation, but i don’t think they tried to kill him from the get-go. The could have asked him to come quietly, in which case he would have rejected.

> 2533274960439808;9:
> > 2533274809788760;8:
> > In my mind, to try and decommission him is the same as trying to kill him. If you decommission something, it goes from an active status to inactive, in this case, from living to dead. He had no wish to remain a spartan, so why would he resist if ONI only tried to remove his augmentations the first time? I view it as an assassination attempt that failed, forcing them to reach a deal with him that both parts could live with.
>
>
> ONI tried to decommission him which he “forcefully rejected and succeeded”. You can’t reject an assassination attempt, you can merely avoid it. “decommission” doesn’t have to mean death, it could mean a ‘dishonourable discharge’, with a court martial for abandoning duty. In other words, treason, in which assassination is not the only solution. The words are vague which means we can only go off of interpretation, but i don’t think they tried to kill him from the get-go. The could have asked him to come quietly, in which case he would have rejected.

I still view it as a assassination attempt, but it agree with you that it’s open to interpretation. The last couple of years of halo lore has made me view ONI as borderline evil, which would explain why I interpreted it like that

> 2533274809788760;10:
> I still view it as a assassination attempt, but it agree with you that it’s open to interpretation. The last couple of years of halo lore has made me view ONI as borderline evil, which would explain why I interpreted it like that

Agreed. ONI has been all but evil as of late, and i’m not liking the fact that they’ve done so much scheming, without the slightest hint of consequence hitting at them. Their actions have resulted in a negative slope for humanity, as a whole, but the fact that they’re twiddling their thumbs with glee, in the midst of all of this, is pathetic.

> 2533274960439808;11:
> > 2533274809788760;10:
> > I still view it as a assassination attempt, but it agree with you that it’s open to interpretation. The last couple of years of halo lore has made me view ONI as borderline evil, which would explain why I interpreted it like that
>
>
> Agreed. ONI has been all but evil as of late, and i’m not liking the fact that they’ve done so much scheming, without the slightest hint of consequence hitting at them. Their actions have resulted in a negative slope for humanity, as a whole, but the fact that they’re twiddling their thumbs with glee, in the midst of all of this, is pathetic.

Give it time. Not all consequences are immediate

> 2533274906745123;12:
> > 2533274960439808;11:
> > > 2533274809788760;10:
> > > I still view it as a assassination attempt, but it agree with you that it’s open to interpretation. The last couple of years of halo lore has made me view ONI as borderline evil, which would explain why I interpreted it like that
> >
> >
> >
> > Agreed. ONI has been all but evil as of late, and i’m not liking the fact that they’ve done so much scheming, without the slightest hint of consequence hitting at them. Their actions have resulted in a negative slope for humanity, as a whole, but the fact that they’re twiddling their thumbs with glee, in the midst of all of this, is pathetic.
>
>
> Give it time. Not all consequences are immediate

Yes I have a feeling ONI is going to start bleeding secrets all over the place…

Quick question, how do they reverse/remove augmentations. I thought that stating young allowed their bodies to adapt better so surely in Randall 037s case the loss of strength, bone, ( and generally a larger body along with removed nerve pathways for super quick reflexes) he would be crippled.
How is he just fine?

> 2533274909886232;14:
> Quick question, how do they reverse/remove augmentations. I thought that stating young allowed their bodies to adapt better so surely in Randall 037s case the loss of strength, bone, ( and generally a larger body along with removed nerve pathways for super quick reflexes) he would be crippled.
> How is he just fine?

Not all of the augmentations were chemical for the Spartan II’s. Some of them were basically just the doctors changing things in their bodies physically. An example would be the changes they did to their eyes and bones. They made changes to the capillaries, in order to reverse the direction of blood flow. This boosted the blood flow beneath the rods and cones of the retina, which improved their vision. An advanced carbide ceramic material was grafted onto their bones, making them almost unbreakable. To my understanding, only physical things like that would be reversable. The changes to his nerves are mostly chemical and irreversable

> 2533274960439808;7:
> > 2533274809788760;6:
> > I think they did try to kill him, but they obviously failed, so they decided to negotiate with him.
>
>
> His bio doesn’t mention anything about an execution attempt. Just that ONI tried to decommission him, and he forcefully refused, however brokered a deal, where they would reverse his augmentations, as a result of his retirement.

Decommission is in quotes, it was an assassination attempt

I’ve always assumed that Maria retired from active duty but remained part of the UNSC military, perhaps as a reserve. I imagine this wasn’t her first time helping them test Mjolnir equipment, as I believe there were several Mark V and VI variants created/tested on Earth. Some have speculated that she was the Spartan Halsey mentioned as being unfit for Red Flag due to an injury.

> 2533274841080006;16:
> > 2533274960439808;7:
> > > 2533274809788760;6:
> > > I think they did try to kill him, but they obviously failed, so they decided to negotiate with him.
> >
> >
> > His bio doesn’t mention anything about an execution attempt. Just that ONI tried to decommission him, and he forcefully refused, however brokered a deal, where they would reverse his augmentations, as a result of his retirement.
>
>
> Decommission is in quotes, it was an assassination attempt

These posts are from two years ago. How did you find this?

Please don’t revive very old posts thanks