Angry at there being no M6 Magnum in Halo Infinite

The Halo games have always been notable for, among other things, their use of unique weapon designs. As such, I am incredibly disappointed that Halo Infinite will not be using any version of the M6 Magnum as its sidearm. Instead, it will be featuring the “Sidekick”, the lamest, most generic-looking gun that one could imagine. It is basically just a Glock, the most over-used weapon in any media.

With minor exceptions, every Halo game has had some variant of the steel-framed (NOT POLYMER) M6, made distinctive-looking by its oversized trigger guard and protective shroud over the end of its barrel, ideally containing a 2× optical zoom. My personal favorite, aesthetically, is the M6G, as featured in Halo: Reach. Why in the world can’t Infinite use a unique sidearm like this?

It’s apparently going to be a similar situation with the shotgun in Infinite. The iconic M90 is being replaced with this hideous, over-militarized “Bulldog”… thing… with a forearm pistol grip and drum magazine. A true Halo shotgun MUST be pump-action, with a tubular magazine mounted on top of its barrel, a traditional forearm, and full shoulder butt-stock. It needs to be devastatingly powerful at close range, but with a slow rate of fire and even slower reload speed. From my understanding, the new shotgun will function nothing like this.

Even after the major disappointment that was Halo 5: Guardians, I had been holding out hope for Infinite. 343 has said to “trust” them with this franchise that means so much to us. But if this is the artistic direction that 343 is going in, I simply cannot, and indeed dread what the game will be. It seems that they want to make Halo into yet another Call of Duty… the last thing I want to happen.

I don’t like that Master Chief is getting new armour, either… the version used from Halo 2 onward is just so iconic.

I hope someone important reads this post, and takes my concerns seriously, as unlikely as this may be.

I take exception to you hating on the Glock because they are objectively awesome… but I do appreciate your point that the sidekick is downright boring to look at. Same goes for the Bulldog that is replacing the M90.

I’ve heard that there is still an opportunity for the M6 and the M90 to be in Infinite, but then it just begs the question: why fix something that isn’t broken? (I’m getting really tired of having to ask that question).

Of all the things that Halo needs help with, the M6 and the M90 were likely not even on the list of things that needed tending to… I hope we get two of the most iconic weapons in Halo history back soon, but until we do, I’m gonna grumble like an old man who hasn’t seen his ungrateful grandkids in a fortnite.

I’m not much of a fan of post Halo 3 weapon designs, and Infinite isn’t helping change that from what we’ve seen in the gameplay demo, but the recent screenshot of the sniper looked pretty cool, so I’m hoping they’ve at the least revised some of the July showcase weapons designs somewhat.

> 2535430904127004;1:
> The Halo games have always been notable for, among other things, their use of unique weapon designs. As such, I am incredibly disappointed that Halo Infinite will not be using any version of the M6 Magnum as its sidearm. Instead, it will be featuring the “Sidekick”, the lamest, most generic-looking gun that one could imagine. It is basically just a Glock, the most over-used weapon in any media.
>
> With minor exceptions, every Halo game has had some variant of the steel-framed (NOT POLYMER) M6, made distinctive-looking by its oversized trigger guard and protective shroud over the end of its barrel, ideally containing a 2× optical zoom. My personal favorite, aesthetically, is the M6G, as featured in Halo: Reach. Why in the world can’t Infinite use a unique sidearm like this?
>
> It’s apparently going to be a similar situation with the shotgun in Infinite. The iconic M90 is being replaced with this hideous, over-militarized “Bulldog”… thing… with a forearm pistol grip and drum magazine. A true Halo shotgun MUST be pump-action, with a tubular magazine mounted on top of its barrel, a traditional forearm, and full shoulder butt-stock. It needs to be devastatingly powerful at close range, but with a slow rate of fire and even slower reload speed. From my understanding, the new shotgun will function nothing like this.
>
> Even after the major disappointment that was Halo 5: Guardians, I had been holding out hope for Infinite. 343 has said to “trust” them with this franchise that means so much to us. But if this is the artistic direction that 343 is going in, I simply cannot, and indeed dread what the game will be. It seems that they want to make Halo into yet another Call of Duty… the last thing I want to happen.
>
> I don’t like that Master Chief is getting new armour, either… the version used from Halo 2 onward is just so iconic.
>
> I hope someone important reads this post, and takes my concerns seriously, as unlikely as this may be.

Glocks are used in media because they’re extremely functional and reliable in real life, just like the .38 special used to be. You’re reaching pretty far to hate on things.

As far as the shotgun? I mean this game is set hundreds of years in the future and you’re still swearing that the game must have a shotgun equal to the one Arthur Morgan holds up a bank with in 1895. I understand how it’s been a fairly iconic gun in Halo, but for a futuristic military shooter, I’m glad it’s evolving for the first time in 600 years. I mean hell, if they have a shotgun as old school as the pump action, why not include a breech loaded blunderbuss.

I would also be willing to bet that the M6 and the pump shotgun will be in the game in one way or another, maybe as a side Easter Egg, or just as a REQ in multiplayer. Or, even featured on some maps like the SPNKR was in Halo 5.

You are also aware that Chief’s armor changed between every Halo game, right? I would call the armor changes more subtle than drastic, so it seems to me like you’re looking for things to nitpick at. If you aren’t interested in the game, then don’t worry about it and don’t play.

> 2533274850493408;4:
> > 2535430904127004;1:
> > The Halo games have always been notable for, among other things, their use of unique weapon designs. As such, I am incredibly disappointed that Halo Infinite will not be using any version of the M6 Magnum as its sidearm. Instead, it will be featuring the “Sidekick”, the lamest, most generic-looking gun that one could imagine. It is basically just a Glock, the most over-used weapon in any media.
> >
> > With minor exceptions, every Halo game has had some variant of the steel-framed (NOT POLYMER) M6, made distinctive-looking by its oversized trigger guard and protective shroud over the end of its barrel, ideally containing a 2× optical zoom. My personal favorite, aesthetically, is the M6G, as featured in Halo: Reach. Why in the world can’t Infinite use a unique sidearm like this?
> >
> > It’s apparently going to be a similar situation with the shotgun in Infinite. The iconic M90 is being replaced with this hideous, over-militarized “Bulldog”… thing… with a forearm pistol grip and drum magazine. A true Halo shotgun MUST be pump-action, with a tubular magazine mounted on top of its barrel, a traditional forearm, and full shoulder butt-stock. It needs to be devastatingly powerful at close range, but with a slow rate of fire and even slower reload speed. From my understanding, the new shotgun will function nothing like this.
> >
> > Even after the major disappointment that was Halo 5: Guardians, I had been holding out hope for Infinite. 343 has said to “trust” them with this franchise that means so much to us. But if this is the artistic direction that 343 is going in, I simply cannot, and indeed dread what the game will be. It seems that they want to make Halo into yet another Call of Duty… the last thing I want to happen.
> >
> > I don’t like that Master Chief is getting new armour, either… the version used from Halo 2 onward is just so iconic.
> >
> > I hope someone important reads this post, and takes my concerns seriously, as unlikely as this may be.
>
> Glocks are used in media because they’re extremely functional and reliable in real life, just like the .38 special used to be. You’re reaching pretty far to hate on things.
>
> As far as the shotgun? I mean this game is set hundreds of years in the future and you’re still swearing that the game must have a shotgun equal to the one Arthur Morgan holds up a bank with in 1895. I understand how it’s been a fairly iconic gun in Halo, but for a futuristic military shooter, I’m glad it’s evolving for the first time in 600 years. I mean hell, if they have a shotgun as old school as the pump action, why not include a breech loaded blunderbuss.
>
> I would also be willing to bet that the M6 and the pump shotgun will be in the game in one way or another, maybe as a side Easter Egg, or just as a REQ in multiplayer. Or, even featured on some maps like the SPNKR was in Halo 5.
>
> You are also aware that Chief’s armor changed between every Halo game, right? I would call the armor changes more subtle than drastic, so it seems to me like you’re looking for things to nitpick at. If you aren’t interested in the game, then don’t worry about it and don’t play.

Overall, I agree with this. From a realism standpoint, the old shotty is pretty outdated. I also remember reading that one of 343’s motivations for replacing the old shotgun was so they could make the new one into a loadout weapon. This probably leaves room for the old one to keep it’s place as a power weapon. As for the Glock, when it comes to stopping power a Colt 45. is superior by far. That may not matter much against humans, because in either case that human is probably dead. But when fighting enemies like Jilharanae that are twice as large as humans, elites with energy shielding, or hunters, I’m gonna take the big gun, not the little one. That is why I think it makes more sense to have the old mag in the UNSC and their operations that often involve these much larger species. They do fight grunts, jackals, and insurrectionists, but it’s probably smarter to be just powerful enough to beat the big enemies, even if you overkill the small ones.

> 2535462294431567;5:
> > 2533274850493408;4:
> > > 2535430904127004;1:
> > > The Halo games have always been notable for, among other things, their use of unique weapon designs. As such, I am incredibly disappointed that Halo Infinite will not be using any version of the M6 Magnum as its sidearm. Instead, it will be featuring the “Sidekick”, the lamest, most generic-looking gun that one could imagine. It is basically just a Glock, the most over-used weapon in any media.
> > >
> > > With minor exceptions, every Halo game has had some variant of the steel-framed (NOT POLYMER) M6, made distinctive-looking by its oversized trigger guard and protective shroud over the end of its barrel, ideally containing a 2× optical zoom. My personal favorite, aesthetically, is the M6G, as featured in Halo: Reach. Why in the world can’t Infinite use a unique sidearm like this?
> > >
> > > It’s apparently going to be a similar situation with the shotgun in Infinite. The iconic M90 is being replaced with this hideous, over-militarized “Bulldog”… thing… with a forearm pistol grip and drum magazine. A true Halo shotgun MUST be pump-action, with a tubular magazine mounted on top of its barrel, a traditional forearm, and full shoulder butt-stock. It needs to be devastatingly powerful at close range, but with a slow rate of fire and even slower reload speed. From my understanding, the new shotgun will function nothing like this.
> > >
> > > Even after the major disappointment that was Halo 5: Guardians, I had been holding out hope for Infinite. 343 has said to “trust” them with this franchise that means so much to us. But if this is the artistic direction that 343 is going in, I simply cannot, and indeed dread what the game will be. It seems that they want to make Halo into yet another Call of Duty… the last thing I want to happen.
> > >
> > > I don’t like that Master Chief is getting new armour, either… the version used from Halo 2 onward is just so iconic.
> > >
> > > I hope someone important reads this post, and takes my concerns seriously, as unlikely as this may be.
> >
> > Glocks are used in media because they’re extremely functional and reliable in real life, just like the .38 special used to be. You’re reaching pretty far to hate on things.
> >
> > As far as the shotgun? I mean this game is set hundreds of years in the future and you’re still swearing that the game must have a shotgun equal to the one Arthur Morgan holds up a bank with in 1895. I understand how it’s been a fairly iconic gun in Halo, but for a futuristic military shooter, I’m glad it’s evolving for the first time in 600 years. I mean hell, if they have a shotgun as old school as the pump action, why not include a breech loaded blunderbuss.
> >
> > I would also be willing to bet that the M6 and the pump shotgun will be in the game in one way or another, maybe as a side Easter Egg, or just as a REQ in multiplayer. Or, even featured on some maps like the SPNKR was in Halo 5.
> >
> > You are also aware that Chief’s armor changed between every Halo game, right? I would call the armor changes more subtle than drastic, so it seems to me like you’re looking for things to nitpick at. If you aren’t interested in the game, then don’t worry about it and don’t play.
>
> Overall, I agree with this. From a realism standpoint, the old shotty is pretty outdated. I also remember reading that one of 343’s motivations for replacing the old shotgun was so they could make the new one into a loadout weapon. This probably leaves room for the old one to keep it’s place as a power weapon. As for the Glock, when it comes to stopping power a Colt 45. is superior by far. That may not matter much against humans, because in either case that human is probably dead. But when fighting enemies like Jilharanae that are twice as large as humans, elites with energy shielding, or hunters, I’m gonna take the big gun, not the little one. That is why I think it makes more sense to have the old mag in the UNSC and their operations that often involve these much larger species. They do fight grunts, jackals, and insurrectionists, but it’s probably smarter to be just powerful enough to beat the big enemies, even if you overkill the small ones.

As someone who has a pump action shotgun next to them at work every day, I can tell you it’s far from outdated. It’s the most common shotgun action in the world and manufacturers like Remington and Benelli still make thousands of them a year. So from a realism standpoint, I’d say the old shotgun is more reasonable than the new one.

Reliable is reliable, no matter how old it is. So it would make sense for a pump-action, tubular-magazine shotgun to still be used even thousands of years into the future. It’s a very functional design that is, for one thing, generally less likely to jam in the heat of battle than an auto-loading mechanism. And from a gameplay prospective, I like that it takes so long to reload (though you can stop and fire mid-reload cycle), as it adds an element of suspense in the middle of the action. Furthermore, the slow rate of fire counterbalances the high damage output.

Like the Assault Rifle, the M90 shotgun has an iconic design that helps make the Halo universe what it is. It would be a shame to not have it in a game.

To be clear, I want some version of the M6 and M90 as “regular” weapons in both the campaign and multiplayer, not just Easter Eggs or limited to certain maps.

And yes, I would be all for the presence of an authentic blunderbuss in a Halo game (as long as it doesn’t replace the M90). That would be neat, but I’m not sure how it would fit into the lore. Maybe an NPC’s prized family heirloom? Ha-ha.

I am totally fine with there being subtle changes to Master Chief’s armour between games, as long as he sticks with his Mark VI setup. Little differences to denote upgrades to the chassis are OK by me.

I had just been under the impression that Chief wasn’t going to be using Mark VI armour in Infinite. That is what bothers me. Maybe I am mistaken.

the new shotgun still looks stupid

Some of the weapons for the gameplay don’t really look like they’re from the same universe, they look like weapons from Destiny. I think they should’ve stuck closer to the original designs on existing weapons and slowly work in new weapons with new designs over time.

As for Glocks, I mainly don’t like them because their frames are all (to my knowledge, as I am not really a “gun person”) made primarily out of plastic polymers. As such, they look lame to me. I like my things to be more traditionally-constructed, made of metal and wood. The same way I would never install plastic (“vinyl”) siding on a house or other building. I have to have real wooden siding on my structures. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions on these topics, so “to each their own”.

Somewhere in the Halo lore there was actually an M6 customized by its owner with hand-carved, wooden grips. I think it was called “Seniora Seis”. Now THAT would be awesome to have in a game.

343 said that typical weapons such as the shotgun that we already know if they will be in the game and will not be replaced by the one we saw in the demo … as for the armor, the change was made since people did not I liked the design of halo 4-5 (which for me are the best) but the nostalgic ones can’t take anything and they took the idea of ​​putting the old one back with the aesthetic halo legens wing (honestly it looks very good compared to the typical ones of halo 2-3)

I think the main reason the sidekick is visually different from the other magnums in Halo is actually quite intentional. 343 doesn’t want you to see the sidekick and think of the magnum. Ever since the BR was introduced and the pistol came around in Halo 2 this has been a gigantic misconception.

The CE magnum and the H2 Pistol are fundamentally different weapons. One is the main precision utility weapon, the other is a dual-wieldable sidearm that is an entirely new weapon created for the dual wield system. The CE magnum became the BR, the main precision weapon of H2, H3, and eventually the DMR in Halo Reach.

By changing the visual appearance of the sidekick to be a new weapon, 343 is likely hoping people will stop comparing it to the magnums of previous games, because it is essentially the gunfighter magnum from Halo 5. A quick-draw precision sidearm with a small effective range, but a reliable backup to a ranged weapon like a sniper or BR.

Aesthetically, I totally agree with you, I especially love the giant hand guard on the Magnum, and I wish there were more lights on all these new guns, but I do understand why the move was made, regardless of it I personally like it or not aesthetically.

I am going to angry as well if there is no Magnum, the sidekick looks like a piece of -Yoink- and I don’t want to use it. I have a feeling that there will be a Magnum again, maybe not the one we know and love, but definitely a magnum in some form