Ancient Halo Music

Before we start discussing, please close your eyes and listen to this:

The Maw: Original Halo Music

Don’t you guys miss that?
I know I do.

Don’t get me wrong Neil Davidge is a brilliant composer and his work is absolutely fantastic. That being said let’s move on, shall we?

Martin O’Donnell’s scores are a stunning representation of what Halo is, an ancient experience in the future. O’Donnell himself said that the music should play on the events, not have events play off of the music. I miss the “ancient/religious” fell I got from the music, but also the epicness and scariness when needed. There was a reason the Halo soundtrack won “Best Video Game Soundtrack” in Rolling Stone.

Neil Davidge, although, made the music epic, just to be epic. The music was great, but not for Halo 4. Simply, I did not like his work on Halo 4. An odd aspect to the music is the music not playing on the events: feeling like empty space fillers sometimes. The music did not have an authentic Halo “feel” to it: feeling Star Wars like at many points. I did feel quite uncomfortable when faced with these changes.

I plead to you 343 listen to the past soundtracks. I miss feeling the way the music made me feel. Halo is not only known for it’s outstanding concept and revolutionizing game-play/multiplayer but it;s music. Halos music made it stand out and made the game just as the game-play did. So please make music to play on the events, not the other way around, etc.

What do you guys feel? Any opinions on changes, or keep the same thing. I would love a change from the Halo 4 soundtrack. I miss the monks. LOL

**I know we can’t have Martin back, soooo how about we recruit Nathan Lanier. I feel that he has a great sense of what Halo is and what Halo can be. All I ask is for some consideration and cohesiveness to the soundtrack of the franchise.

I know there are a good number of people who would disagree with me, but I’m just not a fan on Neil Davidge’s work in Halo 4. People say that the Halo “feel” in music is subjective, but I don’t see how considering the chanting monks and mysterious tones.

I honestly preferred the director of Spartan Assault’s music to what was in Halo 4.

> I know there are a good number of people who would disagree with me, but I’m just not a fan on Neil Davidge’s work in Halo 4. People say that the Halo “feel” in music is subjective, but I don’t see how considering the chanting monks and mysterious tones.
>
> I honestly preferred the director of Spartan Assault’s music to what was in Halo 4.

I haven’t played Spartan Assault yet on account of freakin’ school, but I loved all music in every Halo game: 1,2,3,ODST,Reach and I loved Halo: FUD’s soundtrack, but I just couldn’t like Halo 4’s music. If 343 wanted to take a different direction music wise look at Halo: FUD that was a beautiful Halo-like soundtrack.

I love the music in every Halo game. That being said, I love how it’s used more, which is where I feel that Halo 4 missed the mark. In most campaign missions, I found myself almost bored or even annoyed that I wasn’t playing along to epic music to compliment the action and the emotion in the game, with the exception if the final mission. That was the one mission that I truly felt a sense that whatever was about to happen would be big, and it was about to end. I’ve seen other threads posting about Halo 4’s lack of music implementation, so I’m sure it won’t be a problem with Halo 5!

> Before we start discussing, please close your eyes and listen to this:
>
> Yawning Chasm: Original Halo Music
>
> Don’t you guys miss that?
> I know I do.
>
> Don’t get me wrong Neil Davidge is a brilliant composer and his work is absolutely fantastic. That being said let’s move on, shall we?
>
> Martin O’Donnell’s scores are a stunning representation of what Halo is, an ancient experience in the future. O’Donnell himself said that the music should play on the events, not have events play off of the music. I miss the “ancient/religious” fell I got from the music, but also the epicness and scariness when needed. There was a reason the Halo soundtrack won “Best Video Game Soundtrack” in Rolling Stone.
>
> Neil Davidge, although, made the music epic, just to be epic. The music was great, but not for this game. Another odd aspect to the music is the music not playing on the events: feeling like empty space fillers sometimes. The music did not have an authentic Halo “feel” to it: feeling Star Wars like at many points. I did feel quite uncomfortable when faced with these changes.
>
> I plead to you 343 listen to the past soundtracks. I miss feeling the way the music made me feel. Halo is not only known for it’s outstanding concept and revolutionizing game-play/multiplayer but it;s music. Halos music made it stand out and made the game just as the game-play did. So please make music to play on the events, not the other way around, etc.
>
> What do you guys feel? Any opinions on changes, or keep the same thing. I would love a change from the Halo 4 soundtrack. I miss the monks. LOL

We can’t have Martin O’Donnell back, he is working on Destiny’s soundtrack, sadly. But I do want classic music back. Like alot of things about Halo 4, most of the time, It did not feel Halo. Neil Davidge is not unqualified, but not appropriate to the classic Halo music feel, his counterpart Kazuma Jinnouchi, felt much more in tone with the classic feel. Compare Halo 4’s “Intruders” By Jannochi to Halo 2’s “Ancient Machine” by O’Donnell. you should hear some similarities.

“Intruders” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_tBCy5ne4
“Ancient Machine” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPytR7pwBA

Both begin with a creepy vive.

> We can’t have Martin O’Donnell back, he is working on Destiny’s soundtrack, sadly. But I do want classic music back. Like alot of things about Halo 4, most of the time, It did not feel Halo. Neil Davidge is not unqualified, but not appropriate to the classic Halo music feel, his counterpart Kazuma Jinnouchi, felt much more in tone with the classic feel. Compare Halo 4’s “Intruders” By Jannochi to Halo 2’s “Ancient Machine” by O’Donnell. you should hear some similarities.
>
> “Intruders” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_tBCy5ne4
> “Ancient Machine” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPytR7pwBA
>
> Both begin with a creepy vive.

I think that 343 should consider hiring Nathan Lanier on the future soundtrack his interpretation of the Halo theme is quite stunning, and his work on Halo: FUD was great! Also Kazuma Jinnouchi did a great job on the Never Forget remake… beautiful! It would be interesting to see them work together, if it were to ever happen.—All I am asking is for some cohesiveness throughout the franchise soundtrack-wise.

> > We can’t have Martin O’Donnell back, he is working on Destiny’s soundtrack, sadly. But I do want classic music back. Like alot of things about Halo 4, most of the time, It did not feel Halo. Neil Davidge is not unqualified, but not appropriate to the classic Halo music feel, his counterpart Kazuma Jinnouchi, felt much more in tone with the classic feel. Compare Halo 4’s “Intruders” By Jannochi to Halo 2’s “Ancient Machine” by O’Donnell. you should hear some similarities.
> >
> > “Intruders” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_tBCy5ne4
> > “Ancient Machine” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPytR7pwBA
> >
> > Both begin with a creepy vive.
>
> I think that 343 should consider hiring Nathan Lanier on the future soundtrack his interpretation of the Halo theme is quite stunning, and his work on Halo: FUD was great! Also Kazuma Jinnouchi did a great job on the Never Forget remake… beautiful! It would be interesting to see them work together, if it were to ever happen.—All I am asking is for some cohesiveness throughout the franchise soundtrack-wise.

If I where say this, I’m sure it may surprise, but my personal favorite Halo soundtrack is actually the Halo 3: ODST soundtrack. It was very different, but suited the game beautifully. Definitely playing to the events, not the other way around, a stunning soundtrack, to a stunning branch to traditional Halo. I personally feel It and Halo 2 where his best work. But alot of Halo 3 was amazing, not so much a fan of Halo Reach’s soundtrack itself, but definitely suited the game.

Honestly, i actually prefer the original version better. The remastered version sounds a bit bland, and doesn’t really have the energy of the original. Anyway, yes i do miss the monks, and the choirs, but i also don’t mind Davidge’s work either. Some of his tracks are much better than kazuma’s and even O’Donnell himself IMO.

> If I where say this, I’m sure it may surprise, but my personal favorite Halo soundtrack is actually the Halo 3: ODST soundtrack. It was very different, but suited the game beautifully. Definitely playing to the events, not the other way around, a stunning soundtrack, to a stunning branch to traditional Halo. I personally feel It and Halo 2 where his best work. But alot of Halo 3 was amazing, not so much a fan of Halo Reach’s soundtrack itself, but definitely suited the game.

I would say the BEST HALO SOUNDTRACK is HALO: ODST. I completely and utterly agree with you 100%. Then next to that Halo 3!

> Honestly, i actually prefer the original version better.

I feel the same way, I went through a blank and forgot the name of it, but I remembered the name of this… what compelled me to write this thread was listening to the Halo soundtracks on my Ipod.

BTW I replaced it in the OP

> I feel the same way, I went through a blank and forgot the name of it, but I remembered the name of this… <mark>what compelled me to write this thread was listening to the Halo soundtracks on my Ipod.</mark>
>
> BTW I replaced it in the OP

Nothing like the good old Halo vibe, ey? Honestly, they’re good to listen to for a while, but i do get bored of them eventually. Thats why i like Halo 4’s music as well. To kind of balance it out, if you get my drift…

This one is also pretty good. I find it interesting that they used the “To Galaxy” strings for it. Sounds awesome. And the Halo chant at the end, is just pure gold. It makes me wonder why they didn’t do it for Halo 4, if they did it in FUD?

Halo 4 music sucked. Plain and simple. Transient and barely audible music is not meant for Halo. I made a similar post about the Halo main theme a few days ago and to be honest, Neil Davidge’s music is not for Halo. He has his style which doesn’t fit for the Halo universe. The only theme I like from the H4 soundtrack is “To Galaxy”, but still I found it without an epic climax.

Fortunatelly, Davidge was never part of 343i, so probably (and hopefully) he won’t return for the next title.

Bringing back the Halo’s epic music is one of the highest priorities for 343i. If they decide to make another dull soundtrack, I’m done with this 343i and Microsoft call “Halo”.

I said it the most respectful manner I could.

> > If I where say this, I’m sure it may surprise, but my personal favorite Halo soundtrack is actually the Halo 3: ODST soundtrack. It was very different, but suited the game beautifully. Definitely playing to the events, not the other way around, a stunning soundtrack, to a stunning branch to traditional Halo. I personally feel It and Halo 2 where his best work. But alot of Halo 3 was amazing, not so much a fan of Halo Reach’s soundtrack itself, but definitely suited the game.
>
> I would say the BEST HALO SOUNDTRACK is HALO: ODST. I completely and utterly agree with you 100%. Then next to that Halo 3!

I actually felt Halo: Reach was best if not second to Halo 2’s OST. But I don’t know if you heard any of Tom Salta’s work with Spartan Assault, so I’ll give you a demo: Demo

Anyways this guy knows how to make his own work feel original and stay true to the Halo “feel”.

I do agree with you. Halo 4 just didn’t have that seem atmosphere the music creates compared to the other games.

> I haven’t played Spartan Assault yet on account of freakin’ school, but I loved all music in every Halo game: 1,2,3,ODST,Reach and I loved Halo: FUD’s soundtrack, but I just couldn’t like Halo 4’s music. If 343 wanted to take a different direction music wise look at Halo: FUD that was a beautiful Halo-like soundtrack.

I agree. Marty has never disappointed me, and I’ll always miss his wonderful work in the Halo universe.

Mm, when it comes to Halo music, I find myself describing the original and the new stuff as “catchy but somewhat empty” and “epic but not all that catchy”.

The new stuff has more, ah, emotion? Depth? Something to that effect. Which fits this trilogy more since, as Yahtzee put it, “they’re capable of expressing emotion besides inspiring military courage”. Whether they implemented it correctly, or whether specific tracks fit the scene is the question, though. They certainly fit the cutscenes well, I think.

I’d say keep going with the new styles, but also take a page out of the original games’ books when it comes to gameplay tracks and catchiness and whatnot. They certainly do have “monks” in this stuff (“Revival” comes to mind) so I’m sure they could work stuff in.

> Mm, when it comes to Halo music, I find myself describing the original and the new stuff as “catchy but somewhat empty” and “epic but not all that catchy”.
>
> The new stuff has more, ah, emotion? Depth? Something to that effect. Which fits this trilogy more since, as Yahtzee put it, “they’re capable of expressing emotion besides inspiring military courage”. Whether they implemented it correctly, or whether specific tracks fit the scene is the question, though. They certainly fit the cutscenes well, I think.

Not even close! Halo 4’s music was so terribly handled in the campaign, and did not get the recognition it deserved. 343i really stuffed up in that department. This video proves as much.

Give it a watch, it shows you just how lacking the music was in the campaign in terms of implementation. For those who weren’t very fond of Davidge’s music, this video shows you the potential that it truly could have had.

The other issue is, some scenes in Halo 4 played in complete silence, where it was in desperate need of music to support the emotion. And i’m not a very big fan of constant silence. At least the video i linked solves this problem.

The problem with Halo 4’s music was that most of it was forgettable. It was filler; very few songs actually stood out, because they sounded like music you would hear on any other sci-fi shooter. I can only recall the main menu music, “Wreckage,” “Mantis,” and the “Unforgotten” remake at the very end. Beyond that, there wasn’t any noteworthy songs, nor the Gregorian chants that always introduced us to Halo, each time we logged on.

Halo 2 had the best music. Wonderful amalgamation of guitar rock, and orchestral.