'Ancient Evil' - A new thought

Hey all. I was watching this video when I noticed something…

The ending with the Forerunner symbol around 0:34 (often attributed to the Didact- whether erroneous or not remains to be seen). Watch it carefully. Does it not look like the eye-piece of a Forerunner AI when it flares up then blinks away? Contender class AI (Thanks for the refresher, Cobra) are similar-ish in appearance to monitors, save for their much larger size and their three eyes. However, -if- this were indeed an Contender-Class AI, it’s only showing one eye in the trailer- probably to keep from being an obvious reveal.

I’m not saying I myself believe this to be anything more than a fancy graphic, but it’s something to throw out there for fellow Halo canon enthusiasts. I doubt it’d be Mendicant, who atoned for his sins by sending us to Requiem… But what if another Metarch or Contender Class AI is the Precursor’s/Primdordial’s/Gravemind’s new minion?

IF the theory is feasible, it opens up a whole new realm of potential theories at the factions present in Halo 4.

Again, lemme state that this is not my ultimate belief as to who the Ancient Evil is- it’s simply a new option to look at and talk about- so please refrain from wasting discussion on me being wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: Simply discuss.

This is Mendicant Bias as seen in Halo Legends: Origins I, aside from him having blue eyes instead of the green in the books which were made later on. And while I don’t necessarily agree with your idea, I do think Bias will have some role. As stated in a previous thread look in the middle at the symbol, this is known as the Iris symbol. It was used during Halo 3’s ARG and seems to have been adopted by 343i. Now look at this picture of Cortana’s eye, there is is again!

I could see Offensive Bias be turned traitor though.

Completely forgot about that Halo Legends bit. Well, it confirmed my suspiscion that they’re at least similar in appearance.

Personally, I’ve been thinking Offensive might be a potential culprit for some time- not the main antagonist, but a means of conveying them out from behind their curtain. Also, interesting bit with the Iris symbol.

Anyway, thanks for the opinion as usual Cobra- love your insights.

If we meet the Didact, he should foreshadow losing contact with Offensive Bias thus putting that suspicion of him becoming a traitor in the air.

YES! Others who suspect Offensive Bias! I wasn’t the only one. They said I was crazy!

> YES! Others who suspect Offensive Bias! I wasn’t the only one. They said I was crazy!

I heard the same thing when I said there wouldn’t be Flood in Halo: Reach’s campaign. Who’s laughing now Halo: Reach Forum?

Mendicant Bias was huge and had 3 eyes.

But its possible that there are variants of Contender Class AI.

@DecepticonCobra: Now that I think about it, besides breaking apart Mendicant Bias, we have no idea what he did after the Array. He could have gone rampant like Guilty Spark… and maybe it was worse for him because of his interaction with the Flood, class, or how he was made. Maybe thats why Silentium is such a spoiler?

But… he hasn’t been mentioned much. Just Mendicant, but maybe Mendicant was the one who corrupted him. That would be quite an enemy.

Incoming Theory!

After the activation, Offensive Bias betrayed the Didact and locked him in a Cryptum on Requiem. Mendicant Bias, the one who pretty much caused his betrayal, wants to make up for his sins, and sends the Chief to Requiem to awaken the Didact. Offensive Bias, still rampant/corrupted, doesn’t want this to happen. The red Prometheans are the ones Offensive Bias is using to stop the Didact from being awakened. Blue are the Didacts, or ones under Human control. But it doesn’t quite explain not wanting someone to leave Requiem… perhaps Offensive Bias ended up corrupting the Didact too, or Offensive Bias himself is there.

Well it could go that way, but I do have my doubts. Someone is being controlled, that much I am certain of.

I have my doubts that Mendicant had anything to do with Offensive’s corruption, if that’s the case. If anything, there may be more than one Gravemind around- the one in Halo 3 did not lament about its demise so much as that it was outsmarted and it was incorrect on its predictions.

Say there was another Forerunner installation with a Flood infestation and a Gravemind- Offensive could have fallen for the same mishap as Mendicant. Or, another theory, Offensive came across whatever emboidment of the Precursors (Graveminds or otherwise) that will make an appearance in the Reclaimer trilogy.

With your Forerunner masters potentially thought of as dead, wiped out, and Offensive’s designed task being completed… possible rampancy combined with the persuasive ways of the Precursors/Graveminds makes his betrayal a possible theory, at least.

> I have my doubts that Mendicant had anything to do with Offensive’s corruption, if that’s the case. If anything, there may be more than one Gravemind around- the one in Halo 3 did not lament about its demise so much as that it was outsmarted and it was incorrect on its predictions.
>
> Say there was another Forerunner installation with a Flood infestation and a Gravemind- Offensive could have fallen for the same mishap as Mendicant. Or, another theory, Offensive came across whatever emboidment of the Precursors (Graveminds or otherwise) that will make an appearance in the Reclaimer trilogy.
>
> With your Forerunner masters potentially thought of as dead, wiped out, and Offensive’s designed task being completed… possible rampancy combined with the persuasive ways of the Precursors/Graveminds makes his betrayal a possible theory, at least.

I still think that when the Primordial said “so that another may be freed” as his last words, he literally meant there is another.

Could the Didact or Offensive Bias come in contact with this other Primordial, or some other Precursor creation? Either way, the Primordial just confirmed that there are and have been others.

> Well it could go that way, but I do have my doubts. Someone is being controlled, that much I am certain of.

We are agreed.

Yeah but medicant bias got annihilated when Chief dipped from the ark and it went bomm muthaluva.

> Yeah but medicant bias got annihilated when Chief dipped from the ark and it went bomm muthaluva.

He said it likely wasn’t Mendicant Bias.

But it doesn’t defeat the fact that Mendicant Bias sent Chief to Requiem to make up for his sins.

Just finished Primordium last night,and I think after hearing what the Precursor said about letting another be freed,that there is a great possibility of a certain chain of events occurring post activation of the array.I agree with the control theory and I think that one of the Forerunner AI’s has alot to do with everything going on.What I also think is that they will in some way,incorporate dealings with the “greater” Ark in the Reclaimer Trilogy,and it could be possible that the entity behind the curtain resides there…Think about it.

Hasn’t Guilty said at the end of Primordium that he knows where The Librarian is?
Could it be that the Didact enclosed her in a Cryptum?
( I know its said she died on Earth when the Halo’s fired but can’t it be possible that she also Imprinted herself on another Forerunner and gets “reborn”?)

Those Blue Promethean’s would then be the one under Sparks control but I don’t know who controls the red ones then.

Another thing about Offensive Bias:

Offensive Bias was created to counter and exploit Mendicant Bias’s rampant actions.
He did this incredibly well, as he was able to hold off Mendicant even though his fleet was outnumbered 436.6 to 1, along with using the timely activation of the Halo Array to his advantage.

If Offensive Bias was an antagonist in Halo 4, what could this mean for Cortana? He was designed to exploit and counter rampancy, he could do some serious damage to Cortana. This would limit her efficiency and make it very difficult for the Chief and the UNSC to trust and use her.

Maybe its already happening. He convinces the Chief and Cortana that someone important wants to leave Requiem, knowing the Captain would object and try to leave anyway. Predicting Cortana’s actions, Cortana would not allow the ship to leave, stranding the Humans on Requiem where he could finish them off easier.

I just can’t get the Precursors out of my head. I feel like they’re going to be involved somehow, even if it’s later in the new trilogy…I just can’t help but shake “It is your task to kill this servant, that another may be freed.”

Servant to who?! And why? and how?! What new servant?!?!

> I just can’t get the Precursors out of my head. I feel like they’re going to be involved somehow, even if it’s later in the new trilogy…I just can’t help but shake “It is your task to kill this servant, that another may be freed.”
>
> Servant to who?! And why? and how?! What new servant?!?!

I discussed this back in the Universe forum.

Deva Path said that heas referring to himself being freed through death from the Precursor control. As in the Primordial was a slave.

Even if this is true, it pretty much confirms that there are others still under Precursor control. It is more evidence that some Precursors can be considered evil.

I still like to think of it that the Primordial’s death allowed another “Primordial” type creature to come.

> > I have my doubts that Mendicant had anything to do with Offensive’s corruption, if that’s the case. If anything, there may be more than one Gravemind around- the one in Halo 3 did not lament about its demise so much as that it was outsmarted and it was incorrect on its predictions.
> >
> > Say there was another Forerunner installation with a Flood infestation and a Gravemind- Offensive could have fallen for the same mishap as Mendicant. Or, another theory, Offensive came across whatever emboidment of the Precursors (Graveminds or otherwise) that will make an appearance in the Reclaimer trilogy.
> >
> > With your Forerunner masters potentially thought of as dead, wiped out, and Offensive’s designed task being completed… possible rampancy combined with the persuasive ways of the Precursors/Graveminds makes his betrayal a possible theory, at least.
>
> I still think that when the Primordial said “so that another may be freed” as his last words, he literally meant there is another.
>
> Could the Didact or Offensive Bias come in contact with this other Primordial, or some other Precursor creation? Either way, the Primordial just confirmed that there are and have been others.

The way I’ve interpereted this quote (P.S. I’m still working my way through the book- Only a little over halfway done- so forgive any inaccuracies in my arguements) is simply the process of Graveminds. I’m missing details on my side since I haven’t finished the book of course, but as we all know Gravemind knowledge is inherent and passes between them. One Gravemind dies, another takes its place with the last one’s knowledge as well as its own.

It could very well be there are more ‘first’ Graveminds such as the Primordial, though. If we discover another such Gravemind, I’d love to see it interact with a modern one. :stuck_out_tongue:

[deleted]