An open letter to Josh Holmes..

I have to admit. When I heard you were studio head on Halo 5: Guardians, I got nervous.

Halo 4 was my least favorite Halo game. I’ve played them all. A lot. A lot, a lot. Something about it didn’t grab me like the previous games. Not your fault, i’ll admit that.

But DAMN was I nervous about what direction Halo 5 would take. I love this series. It got me back into gaming. And the MCC (which I know 343 didn’t do ALL the work on) was kind of a train wreck, but there is one phrase or quote that i’ve heard several times now that has me totally optimistic. (ALL-IN if you want to go there)

The fact that you started HUGE and worked BACKWARDS.

Now, wether or not this was one of your ideas (principals) or not, I personally feel it restores my hope in Halo. And an extremely basic/linear “timeline” can explain this:

HALO MCC STARTED:
Halo 2 anniversary → All 4 Chief games on one disc → Unified UI.

Simply put, it started “small” and got “BIGGER”.

Starting BIG and refining the process (which has been stated about Halo 5 several times) seems like a great, logical approach to the next installment in Halo. It offers the best possible chance of producing a stable and FUN HALO game that will have me chasing that carrot like its 2001.

I may be giving a single person too much credit.

But I think he deserves it.

While youre at it, you should also thank Tim Longo for being the creative director for Halo 5 and helping carve it down a (hopefully) better path than 4.

Plus everyone at 343i for their patience dealing with the extremes of disappointed fans. I mean, if you think this place is acidic, check out GAF. Holy -Yoink-, it got so bad they closed the community thread earlier today.

> 2533274799135257;2:
> While youre at it, you should also thank Tim Longo for being the creative director for Halo 5 and helping carve it down a (hopefully) better path than 4.
>
> Plus everyone at 343i for their patience dealing with the extremes of disappointed fans. I mean, if you think this place is acidic, check out GAF. Holy -Yoink-, it got so bad they closed the community thread earlier today.

That is so true! Sorry Tim! I’ve really enjoyed all of his insights on The Sprint and his interviews so far. Good mention, thank you!.

EDIT: I don’t meant to take away from the entire team at 343. They seem to be doing great work and I LOVE what i’ve seen, I just wanted to state how much I respect the job Josh has done as the studio head.

Would you kindly put proximity voice in the game ? It was in past Halo games and worked great. Halo 4 was lacking without it and it would be a shame if it wasn’t in Five. For Christ’s sake, Call of Duty has it now as well as many other good voice chat settings. Halo’s always been the more progressive game in my mind. So it’s not a good sign when Halo goes backwards while Call of Duty is moving forward. Don’t get me wrong, most of us will enjoy the game either way. However, without proximity voice, something will feel like it’s missing.

> 2533274799135257;2:
> While youre at it, you should also thank Tim Longo for being the creative director for Halo 5 and helping carve it down a (hopefully) better path than 4.
>
> Plus everyone at 343i for their patience dealing with the extremes of disappointed fans. I mean, if you think this place is acidic, check out GAF. Holy -Yoink-, it got so bad they closed the community thread earlier today.

Yeah, even after the mighty stinkles got in there. Good god, people say this community is a bunch of children, and at times, it is!

too early to praise the guy I want to see if the game works perfectly day one and make sure they don’t go the cod route like they did halo 4