An idea for enemy AI

As you may have seen in one of my previous threads that I have a lot of ideas for Halo 4. However I just got an idea for the enemy AI.

What if instead of the usual enemy standing there shooting at you while strafing and every once in awhile charging you they could take weapons? What I mean by this what if…say an Elite for example was firing at you with a Plasma Rifle but nearby there happened to be a rocket launcher lying on the ground or a “better” weapon. The Elite would then rush over to it and try and use it against you. The enemy could spot a weapon that would be to their advantage and use it against you. This adds a whole new element I feel. Say you take out an enemy with something good now you will have to plan your tactics to if there are any other enemies around or if you have time to grab it before they do.

Why stop at weapons too? Why not vehicles or other things?

Just my thoughts. How do you feel about this? Post a comment if you please.

P.S. Sandtrap remake. I think that would be a hit.

Yes and yes.

I’ve been asking for a SandTrap remake a while now. It was one of my favorites from Halo 3. Hopefully, if they do it, they’ll have SandTrap Heavy too. Good times.

I thought Elites detested human weapons (then again, Arby’s proficient use with the rocket launcher changed the Elite’s mind…). It’s more likely that there is a plasma cannon from a dead Grunt Heavy lying nearby. He picks it up, lays suppressing fire while a team of Spec Ops Elites (the Halo 2 ones) sneak up on you.

Anyways, sounds great! But it will take years for AI to have the prerequisites to switch weapons (and maybe even pick up weapons).

If you’ve seen my Half Flood videos, you’ll notice that it switches weapons when I throw grenades/stick it at the right time. But that seems to be the only prerequisite. Also, if the half Flood has more than 2 weapons, it won’t be able to switch to them.

And then there’s Halo 3 Elites. They pull out swords until they have 4 weapons. But they can’t switch between them.

Halo: Reach didn’t even implement these.

Thanks for the comments guys, anyone else?

It would be cool, but it’s hard to imagine possible after 10 years of marines still driving me into rocks and off cliffs in a 'hog, despite the countless times it was “fixed”.

> It would be cool, but it’s hard to imagine possible after 10 years of marines still driving me into rocks and off cliffs in a 'hog, despite the countless times it was “fixed”.

Still would be worth a shot I feel.

Also:

Dear Kat,
Please stop driving me away from the Covenant I am trying to shoot and then speed us off a cliff.

Sincerely, Noble Six.

> Anyways, sounds great! But it will take years for AI to have the prerequisites to switch weapons (and maybe even pick up weapons)

Not really, even games with incredibly stupid AI such as Fallout can do this, why can’t Halo do it?

I’m all for enemies switching weapons to deal with a certain situation. It should be possible; the Ultras in Halo 2 would draw their swords if you got too close. It would certainly add depth to combat. An enemy may have a long range weapon poor for close combat, so will pull a shotgun, or similar ranged weapon.

> I’m all for enemies switching weapons to deal with a certain situation. It should be possible; the Ultras in Halo 2 would draw their swords if you got too close. It would certainly add depth to combat. An enemy may have a long range weapon poor for close combat, so will pull a shotgun, or similar ranged weapon.

Exactly!

Actualy in halo reach i noticed on the last level when you advance to the MAC gun and there are zealots in between you and the gun, the zealots will use their concussion rifles until your about 15 feet away, switch to sword and charge you. it would be cool to have enimies pick up other weapons, but why stop there, what about armor ablities as well. anyway i thuaght that marines picked up new weapons on their own, but marines do tend to be a horrible ally considering all the times they’ve betrayed me. but i like the idea, i’m worried that it would be pretty glitchy for a while.

> > Anyways, sounds great! But it will take years for AI to have the prerequisites to switch weapons (and maybe even pick up weapons)
>
> Not really, even games with incredibly stupid AI such as Fallout can do this, why can’t Halo do it?

Wow really? I know what I’m going to do next…

goes to wikipedia and looks up relevant article

> I’m all for enemies switching weapons to deal with a certain situation. It should be possible; the Ultras in Halo 2 would draw their swords if you got too close. It would certainly add depth to combat. An enemy may have a long range weapon poor for close combat, so will pull a shotgun, or similar ranged weapon.

I want to see AI that can switch without prerequisites. AI that have the ability to decide for themselves.

But if there must be prerequisites, make them more reasonable. In Halo 3, there are only three instances of AI changing weapons:

-Arbiter’s shield being drained while he’s looking at an enemy
-Elite stuck with a grenade
-grenade being thrown at half Flood Elite

The first and third ones are reasonable but the second one just doesn’t make sense, since the Elite will certainly die unless it is an enemy grenade.

If Halo 4 features Flood, make some of them spawn with two weapons. Then when the player throws a grenade at it, it takes out the other weapon as it dives.

i will say yes but only if it’s as a skull

Sounds like a great idea, OP. Totally for it. As much as I enjoy Halo I lament when I hear how much praise the AI gets. Because really, if you look past the marketing spin the AI is not that good. Elites, grunts, and brutes have pretty much the same enemy AI as any modern shooter. To mask this fact, the developers threw in a wide variety of other enemies to fight… drones, hunters, etc.

As others have said even the AI in Fallout has the ability to pick up and change weapons on the fly. And the Fallout AI can actually prioritize between different weapons depending on their strengths/weaknesses.

But to this day I stand by the belief that the best AI in any game I’ve ever played were the multiplayer bots in Rainbow Six Vegas. I remember once my buddy and I were camping a hallway hunting bots when a bunch decided to leave, walk around the entire level, and flank us by rappelling through a window behind us. We were both killed, and my jaw was agape. That AI was smarter than some Reach players…

thanks for the feedback guys :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose I agree. Maybe they could make the enemy not use the ammo of the gun so it still has an advantage to the player for defeating the harder enemy.

Great idea, depending on which enemy you’re fighting. In the novels, the Covenant refuse to use any sort of human weapons. However, since Halo 4 would be after the Covenant has fractured, such a change could be easily worked out.