An idea for a Melee weapon

Good day, my fellow Waypointers. I build this post today because I wish to present an idea I’ve had for some time now. And I ask that you help me refine it, or show me why it needs to be scrappled.

Let us begin with the name of the weapon itself.

The Forerunner Halberd
Not the most clever name, but that can fixed. I’m taking suggestions.

Also, if one of our resident photoshop gods wishes to make a model for it, feel free…

plzBefore we move on, for those that don’t know what a Halberd is, BEHOLD!

Now, here are the defining features of the weapon.

WARNING: Some viewers may read the following as control-scheme discrimination.

Trigger attack is a “poke” with the spear part of the weapon.

• Can poke up to 75% of maximum sword lunge range.
  • Takes two pokes to kill if target is at full health and shields.
  • Two pokes can be preformed in roughly the same amount of time as a preforming and recovering from a maximum distance sword lunge.
  • Can stop a sword lunge if timed.

B attack is a horizontal “sweep” with the Axe portion of the weapon.

• Execution and recovery take as long as two and a half pokes.
  • Can hit multiple enemies.
  • Does 15% less damage to every enemy hit after the first.
  • Can be crouched under (As in not the 1 in 1,000,000 of the sword lunge)
  • Headshot multiplier (OSK if head is hit.)

So, what do you guys think? Could it work? What changes do you think would balance it? Is it unbalanced no matter what? Pefect? Just plain bad? Let me know!

Here is what I see:

A melee weapon that can perform two unique attacks. The differences between the attacks consist of range, rate of fire, area of effect, and damage.

I had a similar idea but decided that rate of fire and damage were too much of a difference between attacks so I just made one attack have a longer range but smaller area of effect and the other attack have a shorter range but a wider area of effect.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst246452_Plasma-Whip.aspx

In conclusion, I do not think your weapon’s concept is bad at all. Personally though, I would prefer a simpler approach.

I like this idea a lot. I had something similar in mind with a Hardlight Scythe, but the halberd is way cooler! The two motions are a great way to distinguish the weapon from its sword/hammer peers. The poke/thrust motion is fitting for a pole weapon, I like that it is the more powerful motion.

One suggestion I have is making each motion a one-hit kill but varying the range and speed of the swing or thrust. Not sure it makes any fundamental difference, just an idea I was toying with with the Scythe. Honestly I would really love to take your idea and give it a spin in a Halo game.

I personally think it sounds like a great idea! I could see it working really well in a griffball variant.

This might be the only weapon suggestion I’ve seen on here that could fit into the story, work in multiplayer, and generally isn’t inane like the bow or whip crap.

Rather than Forerunner, you could bring back this, and keep the Forerunner Halberd as an alternate model for Customs/whatever.

PLEASE choose better colours next time. Dark colours on dark background = many people won’t bother reading your post.

~ Duck.

> inane like the bow or whip crap.

Hammers and Swords are cool but a Whip is ridiculous?

> > inane like the bow or whip crap.
>
> Hammers and Swords are cool but a Whip is ridiculous?

…Yeah, kinda.

> > > inane like the bow or whip crap.
> >
> > Hammers and Swords are cool but a Whip is ridiculous?
>
> …Yeah, kinda.

What makes you think that?

> > > > inane like the bow or whip crap.
> > >
> > > Hammers and Swords are cool but a Whip is ridiculous?
> >
> > …Yeah, kinda.
>
> What makes you think that?

Because we have guns and you need to pull a whip back, and in general is a crap weapon.

> Here is what I see:
>
> A melee weapon that can perform two unique attacks. The differences between the attacks consist of range, rate of fire, area of effect, and damage.
>
> I had a similar idea but decided that rate of fire and damage were too much of a difference between attacks so I just made one attack have a longer range but smaller area of effect and the other attack have a shorter range but a wider area of effect.
>
> https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst246452_Plasma-Whip.aspx
>
> In conclusion, I do not think your weapon’s concept is bad at all. Personally though, I would prefer a simpler approach.

'Tis good to receive feedback from our resident weapon crafter.

I thought about a simpler approach, but too many of Halo’s weapons are simple.
Furthermore, I feel this has stagnated the sandbox even more that it already is with the massive amount of reskins and unbalance that plagued Halo since the first game.

> PLEASE choose better colours next time. Dark colours on dark background = many people won’t bother reading your post.
>
>
> ~ Duck.

i looked at it and my eyes started dying

I have to say that I don’t mind this idea.

I don’t mind the idea of having it be an OHK either, and think it could work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFj1JtZAyk.

After reading this and the other thread I can say there are actually a few weapon ideas that are worth looking at out there.

Meh, could work, i don’t know, i’ll have to play the beta to see if it will work.