An effort to Reach Bungie/343

Let me get this straight. I love this game, and I want to see this game continue on like Halo 3 did. But the fact of the matter is, Halo Reach is dying. More than half of the audience has moved on to other games and if you don’t believe me look at the stats. Of the 1 million pre-orders that got this game, 500k have logged on in the last 24 hours. That is just the pre-order sales numbers.

If this continues, this game could likely be dead by Gears of War 3. I want to see this game get back on top like Halo 3 did for so long. So my effort was to create a video and send it through the Halo community in the hopes that someone from Bungie or 343 would see it, and realize that people still love their game and want to play it.

Is it wrong to demand a title update? Is it wrong to demand fixes? I think not. I payed 60 dollars for this game, and a lame map pack is not going to make me happy. Not only that, but Bungie even said they will not update their game with a title update. This infuriates me and I know some people feel the same way.

So this is my proposal to you guys. The internet is a powerful thing, and we can use that to our advantage. Send this video around, hell, upload it yourself if you want. Make it so everyone can see that this game still has loyal players and we just want our game to be more enjoyable to play.

Here is the link to the video, I hope you all see things my way =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvGHVUSCU4

TLDR:
Send the video around so Bungie/343 will see that people still play their game and want a fix.

Halo 3 died down significantly after two years when MW2 came out. I think the Bungie model of one game per three years has shown itself to be flawed, allowing COD to become the de facto multiplayer game currently. Yearly releases are over the top IMO, but after two years, Halo really started showing its age. ODST brought us firefight, but it didn’t have matchmaking and the core multiplayer didn’t change.

As for a title update? The only thing I want them to fix is the long string of kill data text that covers the reticule. ie- get rid of that “with a headshot garbage”. I’d post one of my screenshots, but I am on my WP7, which doesn’t have copy paste. It is on my b.net fileshare.

Man… I was getting worried… I mean, it’s been a whole 5 minutes since someone made of these threads…

I have a few problems with these complaints. Reach tracks players online while Halo 3 tracked players over the past 24 hours. Black Ops sold well over 5 million, but only 1 million play it at peak. Game must be dying right? No.

They simply aren’t going to take bloom out because their goal was to eliminate the BR syndrome, which was one weapon to rule them all. The wanted a weapon that was meant for long range encounters, while having other weapons for short ranged encounters. I would like to see bloom go back to the way it was in the beta because it worked. You had to pace and spamming almost never worked. People complained about the bloom being too much, looked what happened.

I would like them to make Covenant weapons as strong as they were in the beta (useful).

I would like to see armor lock as a 1 sec burst to block 1-2 explosions. Having armor lock last for 5+ seconds slows down the game and makes it cheap.

> Man… I was getting worried… I mean, it’s been a whole 5 minutes since someone made of these threads…

Please keep this forums civil and clean, If you have nothing constructive or anything to say regarding the OP then please refrain from posting in his thread.

This is not B.net we do not need sarcasm or flaming there is allready plenty of that withint he Halo community.

On topic: I dont think Reach is a bad game, and the maps are anything but lame, however this is my personal opinion.

Yes I do agree the population of Reach compared to previous installments of the game is not as good but you also have to realize that back when H2 and H3 were released they did not have much of a competition, maybe CoD 4 and Gears of War 1 (the latter was startign to build a reputation of its own).

Nowadays you have Halo competing with other games that just like Halo did, hav made a name for them selves, attracting even more players.

Yes Reach is far from perfect, but then again there are no perfect games out there, every single game has its flaws and issues, but I dont think Reach flaws are gamebreaking.

I thinkt he problem is that the core gameplay was changed more than what people expected, giving this new installment a different feel compared to the other Halo games, I for once welcome this change as the old core gameplay was getting repetitive and boring.

People just dont like change, and that sadly is humn nature.

I’m sorry, but this is the problem with B.net

If I disagree with you, or you agree with the OP, then you call everyone else a troll.

Someone has a complaint, they don’t use one of the existing threads, they post a new one of their own.

AND THEN…

Someone like yourself expands on their hateful band wagon with everything else you dislike that has nothing to do with the OP.

I’m here telling YOU to KEEP IT CLEAN.

> I’m sorry, but this is the problem with B.net
>
> If I disagree with you, or you agree with the OP, then you call everyone else a troll.
>
> Someone has a complaint, they don’t use one of the existing threads, they post a new one of their own.
>
> AND THEN…
>
> Someone like yourself expands on their hateful band wagon with everything else you dislike that has nothing to do with the OP.
>
> I’m here telling YOU to KEEP IT CLEAN.

Sorry but I believe, if you bother to read my post that It was completely on topic, I never said I disliked the game I was only telling the OP that the population drop has several factors affecting it, not only the change on the game’s core mechanic or the perception of a needed title update.

Also I never called you a troll I just politely asked of you to please refrain from posting in a thread if you had nothing to say that was on topic.

So yes Keep It Clean does nto only apply to spam, it also applies to civility, there is no need to be rude to one another.

By the way If you disliked this thread you could have ignored it, by replying on it you bumped it back on top allowing more of us to see it and post on it, when if you had just let the thread alone it woul of gotten buried and forgotten.

Just my 2 cents.

I really don’t think it’s Reach itself that’s lowering the player count. I really do think it’s just the 3 year cycle can’t keep up with COD 1 a year approach…and i’m glad! It means Halo games are far more polished with far less bugs with more time and care put into them, and that’s how I want it. COD just seems to rush a game out every year with bugs and easy online which is why people play it. If there was one Halo a year I really do feel it it would lose quality especially in its single player.

And with Reachs problems and things. After playing Halo since Halo 1, I can honestly not see a problem with the majority of things online. There are only a few things I would like fixing.

  1. More game like Bro Slayer, or ones that at least let you pick your spawn to avoid being spawn trapped.
  2. Fix the infection/betrayal glitch and the similar Rocket Race one.
  3. Tweak Armour Lock to make it more consisitent and less spammed.

I also think Bloom is fine along with the other abilties.

> I really don’t think it’s Reach itself that’s lowering the player count. I really do think it’s just the 3 year cycle can’t keep up with COD 1 a year approach…and i’m glad! It means Halo games are far more polished with far less bugs with more time and care put into them, and that’s how I want it. COD just seems to rush a game out every year with bugs and easy online which is why people play it. If there was one Halo a year I really do feel it it would lose quality especially in its single player.
>
> And with Reachs problems and things. After playing Halo since Halo 1, I can honestly not see a problem with the majority of things online. There are only a few things I would like fixing.
>
> 1. More game like Bro Slayer, or ones that at least let you pick your spawn to avoid being spawn trapped.
> 2. Fix the infection/betrayal glitch and the similar Rocket Race one.
> 3. Tweak Armour Lock to make it more consisitent and less spammed.
>
> I also think Bloom is fine along with the other abilties.

I completely agree with your post, I believe 3 year releases have been good for Halo they have kept the previous installments alive for 3 years each (some even more than 3 years) and the game is much better quality when the developers have that time span to produce and polish the game.

I too have played Halo since CE was initially released and I do not see any major problems with the multiplayer experience, sure there are a couple of glitches here and there like the revenant passenger seat wich makes sniping extrmeley effective, and this is comming from an avid sniper.

Also I agree with the fact that gametypes that allow you to choose your respawn point should be made so that spawntrapping is not as easy to do as it is with the current spawn locations.

I have not played much infection but I have read about theinfection + betrayal glitch and that does need to be fixed.

Bloom works perfectly I just wish people would realize this and fnally AL well I dont mind it that much since I play BTB mainly and in that playlist it is hardly a problem, but I can see how spamming it could be detering play on smaller maps and gametypes like Team Slayer / Team Objective.

I want to make it clear that I NEVER said bloom needed to be taken out. Simply put, bloom and the 3x scope is to friendly to spammers. If you are scoped in and spot someone across the map, you can 8 shot them without them hitting you once because you will keep them out of scope. The bloom + 3x scope is broken. The bloom itself though needs a bit of tweaking. I think it needs to be more random. Spammers win entirely too often and denying that is just lying.

I Dont want to be called advertising but i think my topic might compare with this a little! heres the link

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/p/4086/36565.aspx#36565

remember cold storage, the free h3 map, well its to do with that, but a free map for reach, and it looks surprising.

While I would really like a title update, this game is far from dying. Sure, three years between releases allowed the COD to become more popular, but Reach is still the second most popular game out there.

OP , I agree with some of the things you want changed well almost all of them really. If I were you though I would have refrained from profanity (it would have given you more credibility at least to me) and I would have given more input and examples of how to fix the problems you presented. I appreciate that you are not just a hater of the game. I really , really Love this game too. I have the highest of hopes for the guys/gals at 343 to do such an update. Frank O’conner said they had the resources and the talent. I believe he knows we’re watching and plans to make Halo even better. Here’s to hope!!

you’re right, here’s to hopin

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with Reach other than I wish the campaign had more “meat” to it.

I do understand the points, though. I just disagree with them. No harm, no foul. :slight_smile:

cant win em all =P

Ya know… it’s crazy. People used to say hopping on the bandwagon when it concerned Reach, meant turning into a fan boy and saying the game was perfect. Yet it seems more and more that this is the bandwagon. Trashing Reach, saying what a terrible job Bungie did, and claiming the game needs to be fixed. Sorry, but I honestly am perfectly happy with Reach. Is the game perfect? Hell no. Is any game perfect? Hell to the no.
As for this guy’s statement, "“The fact of the matter is this game is broken and if you think otherwise, you’re in denial”, is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. It pretty much comes down to this in his head: Agree with me, or you are wrong. He says he loves the game, and yet it is so bad that he needs it to be fixed? I’m a little confused. If the game is so bad, why is he still playing it? We should the fact that he things the game is broken affect anybody else? If he feels so strongly about the subject, why doesn’t he go play a game that isn’t broken. I will not miss his presence on Halo.
I happen to love Reach, and love most aspects of the game. Obviously I would have made the game differently, and liked it a different way. but hey, newsflash, we did not make the game. Bungie did. They made it this way and sold it, and we paid for it. We cannot tell them their game is made wrong. It is their game. If you feel it is so broken, stop playing it, but if they feel that nothing is broken, why should they ‘fix’ it? Sure there are plenty of people who disagree and complain about it on B.Net and other forums… yet here’s the thing. They are still playing! If the game was broken, they’d have packed up and left long ago. So until you are ready to actually stop playing the game because it needs to be fixed, stop complaining about it.
Feel free to call me a fanboy. Call me an idiot. Say I’m in denial. I don’t care, I’m gonna be busy playing Halo, enjoying a game I love.

Let me put it this way because apparently you don’t understand how someone can love and hate soemthing.

I love steak. I love eating steak. But when a steak is undercooked, I send it back into the kitchen. When it comes back, sure it’s not the same as being slow cooked to perfection, but at least I’ll enjoy it more.

Now lets fix that sentence. =)

I love Reach. I love playing Reach. But when a game is poorly made, I ask for a title update. When it comes out, sure it’s not the same as months of careful programming, but at least I’ll enjoy it more.

343i just needs to make sure and keep Sage away from anything that has to do with the title update.

Bungie was suppose to send the halo serious with a big bang but it came with the force of a small firecracker.

You know I think it isn’t fair to simply load the problems onto blaming the lack of interest on crappy players, although to be sure, it probably is a factor; I usually never play against people outside of my circle purely because the matches aren’t set to my skill level - I’m not one of those guys that gets a constant 27/1 KDR, but you know. I’m improving constantly as I get used to the maps, and that surely is the point of any game…To challenge, entertain and give you a sense of achievement from progression.

The map you have in that video by the way is horrible, and frankly most of the community maps are so broken with the spawn points it’s unreal; I was on Pinnacle (I think) about three hours ago, and I literally couldn’t get a foot out of the door, because there was a -Yoink!- with a jetpack and sniper rifle sitting at the spawn points whenever they changed just picking me/us off. Now could you tell me to just get better and suck it up? Sure. But in all honesty, I’m just a little sore that I didn’t get the daily challenges more than anything else.

Which is another interesting point; the challenges are the only form of variety to break up the monotony. I have a bunch of FPS games on my shelf currently, and I’m usually wary of sticking MW2, Black Ops or Reach in for the following reasons:

a) Glitchers.
You can sit in a lobby, and with all of the games, you can guarantee that nine times out of ten, you’ll land in a lobby with some smartass who just wants to win. Not honestly mind you, but just make everyone elses experience a misery, just for the kudos of being able to claim to be a 10th level presitge, have the gungnir armour or whatever.

b) Broken maps.
MW2 is basically 2400MSP and £40 of broken maps and a sub-par campaign. Black ops is a clone of said 2400MSP and £40. Reach is a more reasonably priced package, the professionally built maps are actually playable (most of the time, provided you get a good group) - but the community maps, again, are terrible. especially when you’re stuck with a -Yoink!- who either spawn kills or glitches just because they want their e--Yoink!- to grow three times big overnight.

c) Not enough content
I’ll get to this in a minute.

Now the choices to resolve this kind of things are really easy to achieve; some require effort on the part of 343 industries, and others require a more thorough effort on our part. And here’s what:

1.) Moderate your groups

You know what made me skip Halo 2, and almost Halo 3 entirely? The same reason I barely play MW2 anymore. There are plenty of people moaning about boosters, glitchers and kids, but barely anyone does anything about it; use your voice for chrissakes, and weed the good out from the bad. Half the reason I rage quit every so often is because I’m tired, as a man, of having my gaming time interrupted by some abusive 12 year old turd (in mentality or stature) that chooses his god given right to make as many stupid noises over the mic as possible, glitch and otherwise make the gaming experience a misery. Yeah I get it, there’s a mute button; but surely the point is these people would get that if they’d only play nice, they’d get games, whereas people who don’t observe fair play get booted. which leads me to the second suggestion…

2.) Majority vote booting.
The idea has existed since the advent of multiplayer; if a person can’t play fair or politely, the choice to boot from the group in favour of getting a good group on both sides should be there. This combined with skill matching, would create an atmosphere most people would not only adore, but love.

3.) Love thy community
Here’s a novel idea for people on xbox live: communicate. Don’t sit in private parties with your buds, communicate. The power of viral communication is astounding, and will likely propogate your friends list with people you enjoy spending time with, and will probably encourage a more pleasant atmosphere over the game. So you kicked someone’s -Yoink- on griffball? Stick in the game chat and laugh about it for chrissakes, instead of letting the 12 year olds on xbox live run riot. I will make a promise to anyone taking the time to read this right now; if you add me and you aren’t using any kind of exploits, you’ll get more quality games then you’re seeing now, because you’ll be amongst friendly company, with friendly conversation.

4.) What about us campaign lovers
This is something I find shocking, because when I think about the money I’ve spent on Assassin’s Creed II and Mass Effect II alone, to multiply that by the number of its popularity is truly daunting; the solution to Halo’s longevity is in front of you; offer more campaign. Take admissions for stories from people, and apply them to DLC storytelling. Expand in some way on the Halo universe on or around reach; slip back to earth and take the fight to covenant forces in a different sector, or hell, offer DLC that predates reach by elaborating on noble six’s career, hel, on all of their careers; are you seriously telling me that between the time of them joining the spartan programme, and the time of noble team sacrificing their lives, they didn;t fight other campaigns? Offer more 343/bungie, and the fans will follow. They’ll even follow as you offer weapon upgrades on the marketplace that will give them the edge, or extra packs that unlock different armour grades. How many revisions of spartan armour has there been now, exactly?

I’m so tired of feeling gipped when it comes to FPS, especially when they had an entertaining story; Reach is by no means the guiltiest party to have this accusation levelled at them, but it is a part of the problem. You love the universe, 343? are you really proud of it? Well prove it, by telling more stories, and expanding the realm before you set your sights on Halo 4.

I promise, if you build it, they will come.