An A.I.'s avatar by choice, changeable?

When an A.I. in the present day Halo universe is born/made is the avatar, the form that we see and talk to, given to them do they have a choice on how they look and can they change it to look like someone else? For example could Roland change his avatar form so he could look and sound like Cortana?

I thought that it was stated somewhere that they typically could not change their visual appearance once it had been set, but I’m not so sure.

I don’t think there’s a clear canon source on the general “what can smart AIs do about their physical appearance?” I know that Black Box, the smart AI featured in the Kilo Five trilogy, implies a measure of deliberation to his appearance, but that may be a retroactive analysis of the identity he assumed upon birth, rather than an explanation of a thought process.

My interpretation, with all the AI we’ve met, is that the AI don’t control their general appearance directly. Well… they can change it, sure, but the act of change and its maintenance is an artifice, not a projection of “self.” Roland could portray himself as Cortana, but he would effectively be putting on a stage play, a form of mimicry. I don’t think Roland could sustain that impersonation effortlessly or thoughtlessly, and it would not truly be a change to his image, just an alternate projection coming out of whatever device he’s using to project images.

Rebecca had two forms, that of a peasant woman and that of an armored Athena-like figure. I think even Iona could put on a disguise in the form of a “chibi” version of herself to make her seem more conspicuous. I imagine AIs have some variation available to them in one form or another.

Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona

Edit- About Cortana…

Halo CE- Short hair
Halo 2- Grew her hair out
Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
Halo 5- Forerunner symbols

> 2533274818737568;5:
> Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
>
> Edit- About Cortana…
>
> Halo CE- Short hair
> Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> Halo 5- Forerunner symbols

Yeah, but I saw those changes as subtle, with the exception of Halo 5, and i saw those changes as Cortana growing. I was think of them putting on an act, like spying, disguise and they like. Oh and whe they are born/made they are not told whom they were scanned from. Does their avatar always look like their donor and won’t they just find out or what?

im not sure if there is clear information but i think that human AIs cant change their appearance to just anything but maybe rather just to some few programmed options or mix of those.
not sure about cortana though since it seems to have some weird connections to forerunner tech.

> 2535436621949926;6:
> > 2533274818737568;5:
> > Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
> >
> > Edit- About Cortana…
> >
> > Halo CE- Short hair
> > Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> > Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> > Halo 5- Forerunner symbols
>
> Yeah, but I saw those changes as subtle, with the exception of Halo 5, and i saw those changes as Cortana growing. I was think of them putting on an act, like spying, disguise and they like. Oh and whe they are born/made they are not told whom they were scanned from. Does their avatar always look like their donor and won’t they just find out or what?

Eh. Fair enough. Still changes though.

Black Box was copied from an ONI guy who committed suicide after working on the Spartan project, but he portrayed himself as a box, so AI don’t always look like their donors.

I’m guessing they can but their avatar may have pretty strong connection to their identity similar to how people have to their bodies. Maybe not that strong but a connection nevertheless. Smart AIs though they’re super intelligent they can be sentimental like humans.

> 2533274818737568;8:
> > 2535436621949926;6:
> > > 2533274818737568;5:
> > > Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
> > >
> > > Edit- About Cortana…
> > >
> > > Halo CE- Short hair
> > > Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> > > Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> > > Halo 5- Forerunner symbols
> >
> > Yeah, but I saw those changes as subtle, with the exception of Halo 5, and i saw those changes as Cortana growing. I was think of them putting on an act, like spying, disguise and they like. Oh and whe they are born/made they are not told whom they were scanned from. Does their avatar always look like their donor and won’t they just find out or what?
>
> Eh. Fair enough. Still changes though.
>
> Black Box was copied from an ONI guy who committed suicide after working on the Spartan project, but he portrayed himself as a box, so AI don’t always look like their donors.

Yeah BB also subtly changed his appearance occasionally but usually as a joke.

> 2533274818737568;8:
> > 2535436621949926;6:
> > > 2533274818737568;5:
> > > Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
> > >
> > > Edit- About Cortana…
> > >
> > > Halo CE- Short hair
> > > Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> > > Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> > > Halo 5- Forerunner symbols
> >
> > Yeah, but I saw those changes as subtle, with the exception of Halo 5, and i saw those changes as Cortana growing. I was think of them putting on an act, like spying, disguise and they like. Oh and whe they are born/made they are not told whom they were scanned from. Does their avatar always look like their donor and won’t they just find out or what?
>
> Eh. Fair enough. Still changes though.
>
> Black Box was copied from an ONI guy who committed suicide after working on the Spartan project, but he portrayed himself as a box, so AI don’t always look like their donors.

Don’t you mean “a blue cube”?

I’m nearly certain they do choose them and they are somewhat subject to minor change, but I’ll admit I do not have a source handy off the top of my head. It does seem like, whether by choice or not, they don’t make very dramatic changes to them once chosen.

> 2533275006069419;11:
> > 2533274818737568;8:
> > > 2535436621949926;6:
> > > > 2533274818737568;5:
> > > > Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
> > > >
> > > > Edit- About Cortana…
> > > >
> > > > Halo CE- Short hair
> > > > Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> > > > Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> > > > Halo 5- Forerunner symbols
>
> Don’t you mean “a blue cube”?

But…
A cube and a box are pretty much the same things, right?
Of all the things to dispute! XD

> 2535436621949926;1:
> When an A.I. in the present day Halo universe is born/made is the avatar, the form that we see and talk to, given to them do they have a choice on how they look and can they change it to look like someone else? For example could Roland change his avatar form so he could look and sound like Cortana?

That’s the explanation for Cortana changing her look from game to game. Plus in Halo CE her color changed depending on her mood. Also at the end of Halo 5 that’s why she chooses to appear wearing armor to make a statement that shes really powerful and intends to rule the galaxy with force. I think they did a canon fodder article talking about that.

Generally though, I am guessing their avatar is usually part of their self image and what they want other friendly people to see. So they don’t have any real reason, normally, to change what they look like or pretend to be somebody else. We only see them in a particular setting.

So presumably Roland chooses to identify as a male and liked the mythology and associations humans had about WW2 fighter pilots so he chose to assume the appearance of one. Presumably Isabel is the same thing. She wants people to see her as this earnest and hard working logistics AI so she choses to appear as a wide eyed young woman in work clothes. Serina is a sarcastic and uptight character, so she chooses to speak and look like an upper class Brit. You get the idea.

In Saints Testimony it mentions that the AI pick their avatar depending on their self image and fancy. Most are human, but some can be extremely fantastical and bizarre. I am sure one appears as a black cube for some reason. So I guess if an AI had a reassessment on life and wanted to show a different identity to those around it they could change their forms. Which is what Cortana does in Halo 5. But with 7 years of largely doing the same task over and over they wouldn’t have that much time to do that.

> 2533274913115363;13:
> > 2533275006069419;11:
> > > 2533274818737568;8:
> > > > 2535436621949926;6:
> > > > > 2533274818737568;5:
> > > > > Cortana has changed forms like 3 or 4 times, so I’m guessing that they have at least some slight control. And as Halsey mentioned above, Rebecca and Iona
> > > > >
> > > > > Edit- About Cortana…
> > > > >
> > > > > Halo CE- Short hair
> > > > > Halo 2- Grew her hair out
> > > > > Halo 4- Pretty sure there was a change there
> > > > > Halo 5- Forerunner symbols
> >
> > Don’t you mean “a blue cube”?
>
> But…
> A cube and a box are pretty much the same things, right?
> Of all the things to dispute! XD

Mshak Moradi is on agree with me xD