Ammo Capacity In SP Can Be Different From MP

Hi everyone! I know right now that the forums are flooded with MP debate (which is a good thing, now is the time!) but I would like to have something a bit different for everyone to talk about that will hopefully be a bit less heated.

One thing that’s always bugged me was that weapon behavior (specifically ammo capacity of weapons) was always made to match the MP even if the Campaign version suffered. For example the Sniper Rifle, a spare 20 rounds is plenty in MP but often very low in the SP especially on higher difficulties where a lot of enemies can’t be one-hit-killed to the head.

I understand this has been done so that the campaign can be like a training ground for multiplayer (to an extent) but it will not hurt anything if spare ammo capacity has been upped.

I was especially annoyed in ODST; I loved it but the smg only getting 3 spare mags made it pretty useless because it just burned right through the ammo. For those who don’t remember: in Halo 3 the SMG has 60 rounds per mag and 180 rounds reserve (this doubles if dual wielding) and in ODST it had 48 (for some reason) and 192 rounds reserve.

I felt like the SMG made a great shield -Yoink!- but with low ammo it just ran out too quickly.

Extra: I would also like a CE like approach to players finding ammo. To compare;

Old Games: Players find little ammo normally but there would be large caches on every level, players could carry a relatively large amount which encouraged exploration and saving up for big fights.

Newer Games: Players find ammo for a variety of weapons everywhere and each gives plenty of ammo but players can’t carry very much meaning you are constantly running around scrounging for ammo.

Neither method is bad as they are simply different approaches but some variety in comparison to most current shooters I would like to see the Old Games Method used. At least in my case, the constant running around a few feet to get more ammo has gotten fairly old.

If you have any comments or opinions feel free to post!

I agree

I want to be able to carry as much ammo as logically and physically possible at all times in singleplayer at least.

Why is it that you can carry only carry a stupidly small few several spare mags of ammo, yet can carry up to eight spare 102mm rockets. That is not right. So I agree with you.

Always kinda annoyed me how every consecutive Halo game gives you less ammo in campaign…

I think the AR should have 60 rounds in campaign. At 32, it barely takes out shields of elites.

This.

I never understood why in every halo game after CE ammo was so precious, then I realized it was for MP balancing. The worst is the BR, three mags gets burnt off so quickly in campaign. In CE you could go an entire mission without swaping weapons if you wanted, you were never forced to use a weapon you didn’t like, and that was cool. I hope they increase the amount of spare mags you can carry in campaign.

Come to think of it, the only exception to this was the AR in Halo 3, which could carry 356 rounds in campaign but only 188 in multiplayer. This hardly mattered though since the AR was worthless even on easy.

Ok, as long as there is a skull that enables the classic settings. I feel the game would be too easy with that amount of ammo.

> 2533274833164531;7:
> Ok, as long as there is a skull that enables the classic settings. I feel the game would be too easy with that amount of ammo.

That would be something to look out for but CE didn’t have this issue. I think this is due to how it approached difficulty.

In all other Halos I’ve always felt like difficulty meant just upped damage and health numbers but in CE it was instead because of the shear number of enemies coming at me! Unlike later Halos, I still felt tough like a super soldier even on legendary in CE because it took so many dudes to take me out.

If Halo 5 is like that I’ll be pleased.

As for Skulls, the Famine Skull modified would work for limiting both pick up and max ammo. They could still be separate skulls but maybe combining them might be better.

> 2533274796974117;6:
> This.
>
> I never understood why in every halo game after CE ammo was so precious, then I realized it was for MP balancing. The worst is the BR, three mags gets burnt off so quickly in campaign. In CE you could go an entire mission without swaping weapons if you wanted, you were never forced to use a weapon you didn’t like, and that was cool. I hope they increase the amount of spare mags you can carry in campaign.
>
> Come to think of it, the only exception to this was the AR in Halo 3, which could carry 356 rounds in campaign but only 188 in multiplayer. This hardly mattered though since the AR was worthless even on easy.

I remember 352 being the max spare for both modes. Reach was the one that limited it to 288 (I think you mistyped 188). You’re right though, it didn’t matter.

This begs a thought though, why even have low caps if it’s next to impossible to have too much ammo in most of the MP’s? I mean you can have 8 rockets but usually get 2 - 4 on pick up depending on game type.

Therefore I ask what are the odds of someone getting the next rocket spawn, not using up any of the ammo, landing every shot perfectly and not getting killed and having their stuff taken?

Having a high max capacity won’t matter if map pick-ups are scarce.

Yeah I agree, Halo 1 gave you so much ammo, it was wonderful.

> 2771858342094810;5:
> I think the AR should have 60 rounds in campaign. At 32, it barely takes out shields of elites.

60 round casket mags of 7.62mm NATO ammo is impractical for Marines. I would prefer 35 rounds or 40.

> 2533274805615722;8:
> > 2533274833164531;7:
> > Ok, as long as there is a skull that enables the classic settings. I feel the game would be too easy with that amount of ammo.
>
>
>
> That would be something to look out for but CE didn’t have this issue. I think this is due to how it approached difficulty.
>
> In all other Halos I’ve always felt like difficulty meant just upped damage and health numbers but in CE it was instead because of the shear number of enemies coming at me! Unlike later Halos, I still felt tough like a super soldier even on legendary in CE because it took so many dudes to take me out.
>
> If Halo 5 is like that I’ll be pleased.
>
> As for Skulls, the Famine Skull modified would work for limiting both pick up and max ammo. They could still be separate skulls but maybe combining them might be better.

I don’t think I would like being forced to use the Famine skull if I just want to play with the classic ammo settings.

As far as difficulty goes, the amount of ammo does make a huge difference. In CE and Halo 3 I used to stockpile weapons before certain battles (Halo (CE), Crow’s Nest (Halo 3)). If the ammo capacity were to be increased these missions would become much easier.

Another example is Halo 3’s Tsavo Highway. Right after passing the bridge, you come to a large open area with a few silos and buildings. In this area you have to face a ton of Brutes and two Wraiths. If instead of engaging immediately, you turn to the right and go up on top of the first building you’ll find a sniper rifle. On legendary most if not all of the Brutes take two sniper shots to kill. If there were a larger ammo capacity this mission would be much easier.

Someone out their has read my mind and frusteration and put it on the web. Thank you. In just about every Halo game (besides Halo 1) I always burn through my guns so quickly. I hate it. ESPECIALLY in ODST. The SMG would burn through so quickly… Hopefully in Halo 5 they will adjust the ammo capacity in SP.

It may not have been a Halo game but the worst offender in my recent memory was Crysis 2. I liked the game but you could only hold a pitiful amount of ammo but there were ammo crates that refilled any kind of ammo EVERYWHERE!

The idea was to encourage players to keep moving around and not just camp but having to constantly run a few feet every 30 seconds to get ammo again got so old.

To add to the main discussion I also want this to apply to “sidearms” as well. I get that the Magnum is currently balanced as a sidearm but there’s no reason for it to have extremely low ammo in comparison to primary weapons. Look at Halo 4, it held only 8 rounds with 40 in reserve (correct me if I’m wrong though) but the other precision got to hold so much more. This bugged me because I would often find a bunch of pistols in one spot and it would have been nice to have a lot of backup for it without worrying about finding an imminent replacement.

Old thread is old, but I have to bump.

I just started playing the campaign, and the ammo amount is ridiculous. I just started a level and shot my pistol probably 6 times and my ammo count is down to 13 reserve. If they made the ammo count small to get people used to it for the multiplayer part, they did a terrible job. A. How can I get used to the multiplayer weapons when 85% of the time I have to use Covie weapons because mine ran dry ages ago and B. I can’t simply die, respawn and have more ammo. That’s not how single player works.

I’ve noticed this problem back in Halo 2 with the BR. 108 rounds reserve compared to the 600 of Halo: CE. I felt like that was a decent amount, but I still ran out too quickly. If the ammo count keeps dropping at this rate, then I suspect that by Halo 6 the AR will have one mag reserve and that’s it. I wish the devs would actually pay attention to issues like this, rather than focusing 100% of their attention on multiplayer.

There is plenty of ammo in Halo 5 campaign you just need to look for it. It’s stashed everywhere. Seriously they put more than you could ever ask for playing single player. I am 1000% surprised this is a complaint. Sure the reserve is low but you just refill it so it’s not much of an issue.

Good post. I never thought about it until now, but I definitely agree with you.