Amateur Halo CE graphics mod - looks like CEA!

So I found this video on youtube, and it gives us a glimpse of a project in progress by Custom Map Team, an amateur modding team. They are completely remaking the graphics of Halo CE, and they are doing it so well it almost looks like Halo CEA, all within the original game engine!

Youtube - CMT SPv3: Truth and Reconciliation - Official Trailer

Can’t wait to see the finished product :stuck_out_tongue: Someone should definitely show this to the guys at 343 Industries.

This actually looks pretty good so what engine is it using? Also they got a proper game page?, quite curious about this.

If I understood correctly what they said in the video and at the halomods.com forums where the link in the video description leads to, they are using the original Halo CE engine (PC), and they are just editing the game’s original texture/effects tags and adding some open source code here and there for post processing like lighting and gloom etc. They don’t seem to have actual home pages, but they post information about the project frequently on the halomods.com forums.

Right well keep us posted if you want since think everyone should know about this since looks pretty good. So do you know if it overwrites the game or makes a seperate game like doom 3 hd via moddb? Anyway seems it forum might be soon, very curious about this.

That looks so awesome.

I’m an amateur as well with anything computer-related… so please help. Is this on Halo Custom Edition? Is it out yet?

Yes I believe it’s Halo Custom Edition, and they are using the editing kit that comes with it. You can’t download it from anywhere yet, since it’s a project in progress. But i think it’ll be ready within a few months. Then again, I might be totally wrong about that, but lets hope.

Actually was reading it, according to the forums it was doing via open source.

Read this thread:

http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/topic/303-cmt-faq-read-this-thread-please/

Anyway basically as far I can tell you won’t need open source but should need halo ce as far as I can tell with the latest update.

Actually, the mod supports open source, but is still mainly built/run through Halo Custom Edition. The open source enables a lot of new visual improvements, but isn’t required in order for you to be able to play the mod:

http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/topic/298-cmt-is-back-spv3-announced

"Part 5: The Sauce
CMT’s SPV3 will support Open Sauce! We’ve been working closely with Kornman and Firescythe, and this is the second partnership we are announcing today. Thanks to Open Sauce, we will have a TON of new features in the mod available to you if you chose to install it. While we are building the mod with OS in mind, if for whatever reason you cannot/will not/don’t want to install or don’t like OS, the maps will still play normally for you. Though we do not plan to make Open Sauce a requirement we do expect to be taking advantage of a number of features it affords to users, while maintaining backwards-compatibility for those unable to run it (though at the expense of a few cool new features!) Players who use Open Sauce with our maps will be able to experience normal maps on objects (such as in Halo 2, 3 and Halo Reach), VISR mode, altered gravity, vehicle boarding, and possibly other fun features as well. We’ve only just recently got it working with our tagset, but here’s some of what we’ve been able to accomplish so far…"

Fair enough but still agree that this mod deserves some notice since even I didn’t know about it I’m usually checking for stuff like this all the time.

Looks really good!!! It’s pretty cool to see most of the weapons from Halo 2-3 into this Mod for Halo:CE. Looks really solid!!!

Not really sure if halo 2-3 weapons makes sense in the mod but still curious about it.

the smg looks amazing along with the sniper and everything else is great to!

I’ll stick with Anniversary.

> I’ll stick with Anniversary.

Nope.avi

I thought CMT disbanded years ago… Glad to see I was wrong. Hopefully, I hear about this when it’s finished and released. (Hopefully, it’ll be finished and released…)

Well, I personally follwed CMT while they did this. Using Open Sauce, it allows for normal mapping among all objects. As well as water shaders I believe, meaning reflective water. And at the moment, they’re working on B30, more commonly known as Silent Cartographer. I have to agree, the VISR mode in T&R (A50) was too strong, but in saying that, it was meant as a trial. They’ll be releasing one campaign map at a time, then once they release the final map, which I think will be The Maw (D40).

I myself am currently working on a Custom Campaign for Halo CE, currently named “Recollection”. If you want some eye candy of what I’ve done, just go here, but that’s not the point. The point here is to illuminate what a group of 12 people can accomplish in about 9 months, compared to what 343 industries and Sabre 3D can accomplish in about a year. If you look closely, and pay attention, CMT has gone above and beyond that which 343 Industries did. Granted, that was because they were more focused on modified encounters and AI, as well as only accomplishing a single map. Example, you saw brutes. They look really ugly in the Halo CE engine, I don’t know why, they just do.

Watch the CMT Gameplay compared to the Halo Anniversary Gameplay

I can instantly say CMT has done better than 343, hands down. CMT has only used plugins for the game, something that can barely modify the engine, whereas 343 had full access to it, and didn’t do crap. They just slapped pretty colours and sounds, and thought that it was a masterpiece. In all honesty, the remastered Halo Anniversary looked really bad. I mainly say that because it just looks TOO pretty, if you get what I mean. Everything was overdone.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents in this thread, feel free to rage at it or like it, your choice.

> And at the moment, they’re working on B30, more commonly known as Silent Cartographer.

At long last!

> Example, you saw brutes. They look really ugly in the Halo CE engine, I don’t know why, they just do.

The Brutes probably lack shine. CE AI have distinctive shine and without it, they look terrible.

> Granted, that was because they were more focused on modified encounters and AI, as well as only accomplishing a single map.

I applaud CMT for this (making any changes to gameplay clear and known, unlike 343 who released the game claiming it was the same experience), but their difficulty balancing is something I’m critical of. Jackals charge up plasma pistols way too much. And melee does nothing to Hunters.

> I can instantly say CMT has done better than 343, hands down. CMT has only used plugins for the game, something that can barely modify the engine, whereas 343 had full access to it, and didn’t do crap.

I was quite disappointed to find that there were no improvements to the controls (the crouch is awkward, it’s press X to enter a vehicle or access a terminal, which makes reloading near them very annoying, there’s no 2 sensitivities), the new skulls are a joke (instead of Malfunction, why not just let us customize the hud?) and a deliberate sabotage of gameplay (trying to make it like H3/Reach), and that everything is now harder to do (difficulty emphasis. SLASO is ridiculous, a lot of the achievements force players to resort to Bandanna or they have to play things linear).

The lack of Theater, the inability to turn on/off skulls without having to restart, the lack of AI modifying skulls, the requirement to install to the Xbox 360 hard drive for better performance are the most troubling.

I’d say CEA is worth $30 in entirety, $5-10 if it’s just campaign. The mp experience is polished but Firefight is a disappointment (hardly any innovation, no new location, no support for the friendly AI).

> They just slapped pretty colours and sounds, and thought that it was a masterpiece. In all honesty, the remastered Halo Anniversary looked really bad. I mainly say that because it just looks TOO pretty, if you get what I mean. Everything was overdone.

It wasn’t done carefully either.

Agreed. Finding a dropped weapon is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The top of maps are defiled by clutter. Exiting maps is woefully inconsistent. And even within the level, there are graphics limiting combat options:

-after you make the corner after the first battle on T&R, when you reach the patrolling Jackal, there will be tall grass making it difficult to pick off Grunts on the far left side
-when you’re on the ship and at a closed door, you can’t see anything from underneath like in the original graphics. You have to open the door to be able to see enemies. In the prison room, classic graphics, I could see the patrolling Zealot by peeking under the door

Overall, I am very disappointed with Anniversary (which is why I returned it to my game store). Of course, I am also disappointed with how many games makes things challenging by forcing the luck factor. Both CMT and Anniversary are guilty of this.

Wow… that was… really impressive. I couldn’t do any of that lol

One person didn’t do all of that, a team of 12 people did that over 6 months.

Well, I don’t see any post here but CMT released a50 for the general public, everyone should give it a try, the graphics are amazing !