Am I the only one who thinks this about H3

H3 had its flaws but what I really think it finally perfected were vehicles and I think H4 should emulate H3s vehicle dynamics in H4 . Their controls, power, vulnerabilities all IMO opinion were the zenith of Halo vehicle combat.

BRs could kill hog gunners and chopper pilots.

AR spray could take out banshees, but could be countered by good pilots

Tank while beast could be taken out by coordinated efforts by other vehicles, but was still a tank but not the god vehicle of vehicles like it is in reach.

Ghost whiel weak to all other vehicles could slaughter infantry with cannons and not be taken out easily by 2 guys head on with dmrs (as in reach)

Chopper could dominate a match but it took skill and had plenty of vulnerabilites like stickies, rear BR fire, and well placed frags.

It was all useful but all balanced and counterable. Vehicles were power weapons but not insurmountable. It was also interestign how vehicles in and of themselves had their own separate skill gaps. It was always a blast playing 50s who knew nothing but BR rage at my skilled piloting of a chopper and shoot in vein at its front with BRs. In reach i just feel the vehicles are so toned down that the skill gap is gone, Id really liek to see it return in H4. For these resons i would liek to see H4 follow H3 in the vehicles department.

The only thing i think Reach did right in vehicles was with the wraith (finally useful but not OP) and revanant which is fun and balanced and an interesign fusion of ghost and wraith + the passenger is a nice add (though i think it can coexist with the chopper since both operate very differently)

From CE first person hog passenger and tank riding.

> H3 had its flaws but what I really think it finally perfected were vehicles. Their controls, power, vulnerabilities all IMO opinion were the zenith of Halo vehicle combat.
>
> BRs could kill hog gunners and chopper pilots.
>
> AR spray could take out banshees, but could be countered by good pilots
>
> Tank while beast could be taken out by coordinated efforts by other vehicles, but was still a tank but not the god vehicle of vehicles like it is in reach.
>
> Ghost whiel weak to all other vehicles could slaughter infantry with cannons and not be taken out easily by 2 guys head on with dmrs (as in reach)
>
> Chopper could dominate a match but it took skill and had plenty of vulnerabilites like stickies, rear BR fire, and well placed frags.
>
> It was all useful but all balanced and counterable. Vehicles were power weapons but not insurmountable. For these resons i would liek to see H4 follow H3 in the vehicles department.
>
> The only thing i think Reach did right in vehicles was with the wraith (finally useful but not OP) and revanant which is fun and balanced and an interesign fusion of ghost and wraith + the passenger is a nice add (though i think it can coexist with the chopper since both operate very differently)
>
> From CE first person hog passenger and tank riding.

Yes actually I think Halo 3 nailed it with the balance, I think it boiled down to who was the most skilled, the driver/gunner or the guy who magaes to go for the Splaser.

In Reach I fear for my life even when I hop into the tank of getting taken out with someones 7.62 markman rifle haha.

> > H3 had its flaws but what I really think it finally perfected were vehicles. Their controls, power, vulnerabilities all IMO opinion were the zenith of Halo vehicle combat.
> >
> > BRs could kill hog gunners and chopper pilots.
> >
> > AR spray could take out banshees, but could be countered by good pilots
> >
> > Tank while beast could be taken out by coordinated efforts by other vehicles, but was still a tank but not the god vehicle of vehicles like it is in reach.
> >
> > Ghost whiel weak to all other vehicles could slaughter infantry with cannons and not be taken out easily by 2 guys head on with dmrs (as in reach)
> >
> > Chopper could dominate a match but it took skill and had plenty of vulnerabilites like stickies, rear BR fire, and well placed frags.
> >
> > It was all useful but all balanced and counterable. Vehicles were power weapons but not insurmountable. For these resons i would liek to see H4 follow H3 in the vehicles department.
> >
> > The only thing i think Reach did right in vehicles was with the wraith (finally useful but not OP) and revanant which is fun and balanced and an interesign fusion of ghost and wraith + the passenger is a nice add (though i think it can coexist with the chopper since both operate very differently)
> >
> > From CE first person hog passenger and tank riding.
>
> Yes actually I think Halo 3 nailed it with the balance, I think it boiled down to who was the most skilled, the driver/gunner or the guy who magaes to go for the Splaser.
>
> In Reach I fear for my life even when I hop into the tank of getting taken out with someones 7.62 markman rifle haha.

I think if they halved the SL ammo (via forge maybe a half charge) and put it in a contestable area and replaced the spawning SLs with missile pods that didnt make you walk slow (maybe just a reimagined plasma launcher) there would be perfect balance in antivehicle weapons. Also having a rocket launcher that shot rockets that moved fast would also be another interesting balancer, GL also is interesting to throw in as an anti vehicle weapon.

I agree completely with OP. Way back when Reach was still in production, I was kind of hoping that they would remove the laser, because of how it could wreck vehicles so easily and without much skill.

And when Reach came out… God, I don’t even want to think about it.

Agreed. I absolutely loved vehicular combat in Halo 3. In Reach, not so much. The banshee is hella overpowered and is almost impossible to take down when it flips a hundred times a minute.

one thing ive missed in h3, and reach was the explosive sphere deal on the side of the ghost in halo 2 that was like a weak point on the ghost’s side. if you shot this spot with the sniper, or any gun for that matter, it would deal more damage. i think 1 shot with a sniper blew it up if shot in this spot.

pretty small, but i miss this little intricacy.

> I agree completely with OP. Way back when Reach was still in production, I was kind of hoping that they would remove the laser, because of how it could wreck vehicles so easily and without much skill.
>
> And when Reach came out… God, I don’t even want to think about it.

I think laser is to the vehicle sandbox what rockets are to the infantry weapon sandbox. Its supposed to be OP but at the same time not be super abundant both in ammo and spawns. Its something that can be a game changer but does not completely shut out everything (think non OP H3 rockets not the nuke tipped ICBMs of reach). Its meant to be fought over in a neutral spawn not both sides having one while there are more shots in one charge than vehicles that the enemy spawns with Like sandtrap. It should be a reward to help cope with a few vehicles not a Star power up that annihilates every vehicle on the map guaranteed like in valhalla. Center laser IMO only made sense when a wraith and banshee were also available. Especially considering both sides spawned with missle pods.

my theory on the laser

I pretty much agree. At least back in Halo 3 the hog’ wasn’t as much of an easy triple kill on wheels as it is now. Thing was versatile and only flipped by explosives and gravity hammers, where as now it’s flipped and destroyed by practically anything, and has a turret that overheats. It’s like they were trying to kill off Halo’s most iconic vehicle.

> one thing ive missed in h3, and reach was the explosive sphere deal on the side of the ghost in halo 2 that was like a weak point on the ghost’s side. if you shot this spot with the sniper, or any gun for that matter, it would deal more damage. i think 1 shot with a sniper blew it up if shot in this spot.
>
> pretty small, but i miss this little intricacy.

thats still in halo reach though.

I kind of liked how vehicles don’t just repair in reach, makes dealing with tanks/banshees less annoying, but I hates how all vehicles just got shredded by dmr fire/ sniper rounds.

I like the weak spots on vehicles too like the vents on the wraith/scorpion or that drum on the ghost, but those should be the only areas damaged by non power weapons (or the sniper)

> H3 had its flaws but what I really think it finally perfected were vehicles. Their controls, power, vulnerabilities all IMO opinion were the zenith of Halo vehicle combat.

I absolutely agree. My and my friends still switch back to Halo 3 from Reach and it’s because of the vehicles; they are way, way more balanced and are far more fun to use and challenging to have used against you. Halo 3 has great vehicles and Halo Reach has great foot soldier/gun play. If only the two were combined together.

Probably the only issue I had with H3 vehicles was that the Chopper was a bit overpowered against a Warthog. The cannons would roll the thing in a second, leaving you no chance as a Warthog to dodge or fire back – you just suddenly find yourself tumbling across the ground uncontrollably.

The awful Reach vehicles are what prompted me to write this:

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/12338.aspx

> > H3 had its flaws but what I really think it finally perfected were vehicles. Their controls, power, vulnerabilities all IMO opinion were the zenith of Halo vehicle combat.
>
> I absolutely agree. My and my friends still switch back to Halo 3 from Reach and it’s because of the vehicles; they are way, way more balanced and are far more fun to use and challenging to have used against you. Halo 3 has great vehicles and Halo Reach has great foot soldier/gun play. If only the two were combined together.
>
> Probably the only issue I had with H3 vehicles was that the Chopper was a bit overpowered against a Warthog. The cannons would roll the thing in a second, leaving you no chance as a Warthog to dodge or fire back – you just suddenly find yourself tumbling across the ground uncontrollably.
>
> The awful Reach vehicles are what prompted me to write this:
>
> http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/12338.aspx

In defense of my beloved chopper, there was a fine balance with the chopper and warthog. Head on a 1v1 with a chopper would shred a Hog but it was balanced. If a hog for a second caught a chopper off guard or from behind the same rule applied, the chopper driver was dead i beleive even faster than infantry since bullets that missed the actual driver still did damage sinze they hit the chopper.

The chopper was further balanced by the hog by the fact that the chopper driver beyond directly in front was completely exposed to BR fire, unlike the hog driver who was virtually indestrucable to BR fire while driving.

The hog and chopper were balanced against each other, both could take each other out. The intricacy was the angles and tactics.

Nice to know im not alone in my love for H3 vehicle play tho!!

reach got the revenant and ghost right (although they get destoryed by dmrs a bit easily)
and most other vehicles wrong :confused:

I think they had the Falcon Right, You had to have a good driver ( One that realises your arc of fire and can continuously give you a line of sight onto the target, and you had to have a good gunner as well ( One who doesn’t hold down the trigger and goin WHYZ IT STOPZ SHOOTINGZ?!?! WHYS DERES SMOKES>!?"ZZ1 ) and can prioritise targets.

I like Teamwork vehicles rather than the one man shows like the hornet in H3.

> reach got the revenant and ghost right (although they get destoryed by dmrs a bit easily)
> and most other vehicles wrong :confused:

Agreed but i would throw the wraith in as well. In H3 I never usually bothered with it (especially in heavy) but in Reach it actually is useful and desirable but again not OP.

IMO if it wasn’t for the BR spread Halo 3 would have been far and away the best Halo title.

> > reach got the revenant and ghost right (although they get destoryed by dmrs a bit easily)
> > and most other vehicles wrong :confused:
>
> Agreed but i would throw the wraith in as well. In H3 I never usually bothered with it (especially in heavy) but in Reach it actually is useful and desirable but again not OP.

I missed out the wraith because although it has a habit of getting destoryed by two guys standing 30m away with DMRs (they can evade/armour lock to doge yous shots and shred you while backing up)

> I think they had the Falcon Right, You had to have a good driver ( One that realises your arc of fire and can continuously give you a line of sight onto the target, and you had to have a good gunner as well ( One who doesn’t hold down the trigger and goin WHYZ IT STOPZ SHOOTINGZ?!?! WHYS DERES SMOKES>!?"ZZ1 ) and can prioritise targets.
>
> I like Teamwork vehicles rather than the one man shows like the hornet in H3.

The problem i have with teamwork vehicles is because most often i search alone. In H3 i was usually always alone since all my other 50s friends hated vehicle play. I always think halo should be just as much about the individual as it is about team work.

as for the hornet vs falcon I dont know. Because i have had nothing but bad experience with it in reach. It really needs a good team to use it seems at all. I think what would be cooler would be to marry the hornet and falcon. Have a single turret the driver can use (half strength of hornet h3 duel chaingun) and maybe a single side hog turret or maybe an underbelly ball turret like WW2 flying fortress. or maybe just the one from campaign with the driver being able to shoot but just adjust power.

> > > BluePanda559:
> > > reach got the revenant and ghost right (although they get destoryed by dmrs a bit easily)
> > > and most other vehicles wrong :confused:
> >
> > Agreed but i would throw the wraith in as well. In H3 I never usually bothered with it (especially in heavy) but in Reach it actually is useful and desirable but again not OP.
>
> I missed out the wraith because although it has a habit of getting destoryed by two guys standing 30m away with DMRs (they can evade/armour lock to doge yous shots and shred you while backing up)

Thats more AAs fault then the Wraiths traits itself. Although I think the wraith has played second banana to the scorpion long enough. itd be nice to let the wraith driver use its own plasma turret like the scorpion in CE, while its understandable for the scorpion to not.

yeah the wraith may as well not have the gunner seat because
A. the turret sucks
B. the gunner gets destroyed by all the guys trying to kill the wraith with DMRs

so its a good idea to let the driver shoot his own turret

does anyone think any other halo game nailed Vehicles better than H3?

You listed this as Halo 4 why…?