Am I the only one who liked the Beta more?

For whatever reason, I felt that the beta (overall) was actually more fun than the game on release or even in its current state. To be fair to the game at the moment, I am strictly referring to Slayer and Breakout. Slayer just felt like it had more urgency and landing shots felt oh-so-satisfying. The chirp that indicated you were landing shots, the pistol rate of fire was awesome, and I felt the after game emotes that the Spartans had, was a real missed opportunity for customization. There are a lot of other features that I really liked as well that didn’t make it into the final game, but we’d be here all day so I’ll leave it at those 3. But whenever I bring this up to other Halo fans IRL I’m often disagreed with. So I am curious, what does Waypoint think?

It was also much more visually impressive than the full game. Lighting and shadows are barely noticeable with the glow in the dark Spartan models we have now. Armor was also more defined and noticeable since there were only 10 sets or something, compared to the 300 sets that just blend together with a few exceptions of unique sets. These are just my opinions, and some people may think the full game is better, but I believe the beta gave me that Halo feeling that the full game seemed to lack.

I loved the beta because it looks visually more impressive so I thought that was good. I had more fun playing it at the time cause it was a big jump but I guess I liked the actual release because it was more polished.

> 2533274976607648;2:
> It was also much more visually impressive than the full game. Lighting and shadows are barely noticeable with the glow in the dark Spartan models we have now. Armor was also more defined and noticeable since there were only 10 sets or something, compared to the 300 sets that just blend together with a few exceptions of unique sets. These are just my opinions, and some people may think the full game is better, but I believe the beta gave me that Halo feeling that the full game seemed to lack.

The Nightfall set (especially the helmet) looked way better than what we got now. Had it maintained the look, I bet many others would wear that over Helljumper.

> 2533274976607648;2:
> It was also much more visually impressive than the full game. Lighting and shadows are barely noticeable with the glow in the dark Spartan models we have now. Armor was also more defined and noticeable since there were only 10 sets or something, compared to the 300 sets that just blend together with a few exceptions of unique sets. These are just my opinions, and some people may think the full game is better, but I believe the beta gave me that Halo feeling that the full game seemed to lack.

I feel the same way, I was so hyped after the beta. I was so ready to sink endless amounts of time into H5, but something about the final release just rubbed me the wrong way. Which isnt really even fair to 343 tbh. Like its still a great game imo. But there was something about all the little things that went into the beta that gave me the feeling of that “Halo” magic. So hard to pinpoint…

I definitely liked some aspects of the beta better but the Spartan bro feast after matches was definitely not one of them. Absolutely hated that. I also wasn’t a fan of the “chirp” noise as you put it when you landed shots. I remember the title screen music sounding like something you’d hear when Captain American appears too lol wasn’t impressed by it at all.

The beta had these amazing colors, but ground and pound needed hella tweaking.

> 2533274815533909;6:
> I definitely liked some aspects of the beta better but the Spartan bro feast after matches was definitely not one of them. Absolutely hated that. I also wasn’t a fan of the “chirp” noise as you put it when you landed shots. I remember the title screen music sounding like something you’d hear when Captain American appears too lol wasn’t impressed by it at all.

Yeah, I know most people didnt like the “chirp” which is why they took it out, I just feel like some of this stuff could have been options to enable/disable in the settings. As far as the “bro fist”, when I said missed opportunity, I think some really cool things could have been done with the REQ system and after game animations. Like if you wanted your Spartan to be more disciplined, you could pick like the stand at “attention” animation or whatever. Or if you wanted your Spartan to be more boisterous (it is WarGames after all), you could have the “Bring it” animation or something. I think it could have really worked if executed correctly.

Oh dude, you’re most certainly not alone. This isn’t me because I couldn’t participate in the beta, but my buddy expressed a very frustrating sense of dissapointment when the final game came out. The visuals and everything were more impressive compared to what we got, and both him and I blame that on 60 fps.

Can I ask, is 60 fps worth it?
Its a freakin amazing thing to have, but not to intrude on anything from a game developer’s standpoint.
Can you fit more in a game, in terms of visuals and objects in general, not having to worry about whether the game will hit that 60 fps?

Would we settle with 30 to 40 fps?

I don’t think Spartan Charge had aim assist so that was certainly better.
The aim was better because after they changed it, it went to crap.
I liked the big Ground Pound target animation, but it’s understandable why it was reduced.
I thought the menu looked better visually, but the music sounded like something for Battlefield.
The effects and lighting were better, but it hurt gameplay on maps like Truth.
I didn’t like the brodown at the end of games.

> 2533275013567761;9:
> Oh dude, you’re most certainly not alone. This isn’t me because I couldn’t participate in the beta, but my buddy expressed a very frustrating sense of dissapointment when the final game came out. The visuals and everything were more impressive compared to what we got, and both him and I blame that on 60 fps.
>
> Can I ask, is 60 fps worth it?
> Its a freakin amazing thing to have, but not to intrude on anything from a game developer’s standpoint.
> Can you fit more in a game, in terms of visuals and objects in general, not having to worry about whether the game will hit that 60 fps?
>
> Would we settle with 30 to 40 fps?

Nope. After playing all this halo 5 in 60fps, when I play a game that renders half the frames per second its extremely noticeable. It was hard for me to keep playing mass effect Andromeda and I know I’m going to notice it when I finally pop in gears 4 when my Xbox one X comes next week.

Only real thing I missed from the beta was the darker, grittier look.

Otherwise, game plays almost the same aside from a few map changes and weapon tunings.

I loved the emotes at the end everybody celebrating a win high fiving each was was pretty cool shame they took it and breakout was really fun but I never seem to get a game now other then that I don’t remember any major changes

You are not alone gobig69. It was more immersive and although some changes to the final game were great, having the option to enable/disable these things, at least in custom games, would be worth the development time in future halo titles. They seemed to have ditched a lot of the immersive and graphically impressive parts of the game for the sake of “fairness” in high level competitive play, which in my opinion was the wrong direction to take the game.

BETA stuff that was better:

• The lighting was more immersive. - The bolt on the Assault Rifle was animated while firing. - Aiming with some weapons would show more of the weapon model. - Sprinting would animate the camera. - Aiming with automatic weapons would increase your accuracy and red reticle range at the expense of increased recoil. - The magnum wasn’t a DMR, all the weapons were unique and useful in different situations. - The Hydra lock-on visuals looked more interesting. - The DMR aiming visuals looked more interesting. - The hit marker sound should have been an option in the final game. - BR firing sound was more menacing and distinct from other weapon sounds. I have an airsoft gun that sounds more menacing than the current H5 battle rifle…BETA stuff that was worse:

• The bro fest at the end of matches, but this could have been optional in the final game. - Slower walking speed. - Hip firing with certain weapons like the Assault Rifle had too much spread and recoil. - Flinching when shot while hip firing. - The health warning sound was too intense.

Graphics wise I agree the beta was far superior, but in the grand scheme of things the finished version is much more polished and generally more enjoyable than the beta.

Regret was simply beautiful in the Beta

> 2533275013567761;9:
> Oh dude, you’re most certainly not alone. This isn’t me because I couldn’t participate in the beta, but my buddy expressed a very frustrating sense of dissapointment when the final game came out. The visuals and everything were more impressive compared to what we got, and both him and I blame that on 60 fps.
>
> Can I ask, is 60 fps worth it?
> Its a freakin amazing thing to have, but not to intrude on anything from a game developer’s standpoint.
> Can you fit more in a game, in terms of visuals and objects in general, not having to worry about whether the game will hit that 60 fps?
>
> Would we settle with 30 to 40 fps?

It’s the resolution that changed, not the FPS.
And definitely no to settling, I’d pick 720p 60fps any day of the week over 1080p 30fps.

As a guy who missed out on the beta & watched gameplay of it, the Beta looked way better than its Final

Honestly the changes they did for the Final was like the decision changes from No Mans Sky

The Beta was very visually impressive, and playing it was an absolute blast, but there were things that definitely needed to be addressed as well. From more major things like the heavy flinch when you’re shot at, to smaller scale things like the chirpy hitmarker sound effects, or from very minor things like the dude-bro Spartan frat party at the end of every match, the Halo 5 Beta had it’s quirks.

I hated the beta. It felt bad. It was pretty, but it felt bad.

> 2535429593088083;4:
> > 2533274976607648;2:
> > It was also much more visually impressive than the full game. Lighting and shadows are barely noticeable with the glow in the dark Spartan models we have now. Armor was also more defined and noticeable since there were only 10 sets or something, compared to the 300 sets that just blend together with a few exceptions of unique sets. These are just my opinions, and some people may think the full game is better, but I believe the beta gave me that Halo feeling that the full game seemed to lack.
>
> The Nightfall set (especially the helmet) looked way better than what we got now. Had it maintained the look, I bet many others would wear that over Helljumper.

Honestly it truly matters upon opinions with armours, but yes, I quite agree with you on that subject, being that guy who runs around with Helljumper because of the fact that Nightfall could use a few tweaks.
Duck