Am I the only one who hates super units?

I’ve played quite a few RTS since AoE2. Most recently I played quite a bit of Company of Heroes 2. While I’ve steadily gotten away from it and PC gaming in general, RTS is still probably my favorite genre. When I get HW2 I’ll be playing on xbox one. From what I’ve seen, RTS games have this tendency in the first title or two to have great unit vs unit gameplay. And then in the expansion or next title in the series they up the excitement by adding super units. I hate super units.

Why? They are extremely hard to balance - either they come to early - or too late, or they cost too much, or they are too slow, or have too much range, have too good of a special ability, take up too much population etc etc. Any of those things could be over or under powered. My point is they are just bad for strategy games. It’s too much “eggs in one basket” theory. It’s very easy for them to be way out of line with all the other units. Players spend the majority of the game going -Yoink!- for tat with their opponent and then someone drops an uber unit and from there everything revolves around it or worst case scenario both players drop an uber and then it’s just some infantile duel between too monster units while the rest of your army is just decoration.

What do you think of super units? Should HW2 at least have a mode where you can’t get access to super units (mainly meaning Scarab and Condor)?

Super units are odd I agree. I prefer games which have a late game unit (mostly meaning it’s expensive), still powerful and useful, yet is still fairly vulnerable, with certain weaknesses / counters, and needs careful micro to preserve and grow stronger. I’m thinking of one LOTR game where one Goblin faction can recruit a Dragon Lord hero unit - which is very weak to arrows especially at low levels, and even at high levels vs upgraded archers - but has ever growing powerful abilities as it levels (unlocking abilities and increasing health) by destroying units and structures which encourages aggression and fighting. (NOT by merely purchasing upgrades at base, which can encourage camping imo). So you have to carefully manage and utilize the unit all game in order to EARN a “super unit” and “super unit” abilities late game. This hero unit is nothing like the hero units of Halo Wars 1, balance wise.

Not sure if super units really fit in here - mostly just a really strong unit all around that are pretty much max strength as soon as you build them. So little micro is invested in earning the unit’s power, besides having the money for it.

Super Unit’s are time limited things. They are more giant distractions or ways to attempt to turn the tides. Least in my view

I love the idea of super units, and I am a big fan of the RTS genre as well. I’ve played a variety of RTS games, like Age of Empires (1 and 2, and Age of Mythology), Dawn of War, StarCraft, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, etc. Every one has a very different flavour, but I love them all. Super units are big, scary threats, though they can’t take on armies on their own, they need to be backed up by a powerful force.

That being said, my favourite RTS games are Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander (which was a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation), which both feature Experimental units (super units with a fancy name) and are far more complex games than Halo Wars will ever be. So I like the idea of big units, but my opinion stems from my own experience with games that do have them.

> 2533274802357607;3:
> Super Unit’s are time limited things. They are more giant distractions or ways to attempt to turn the tides. Least in my view

I believe that’s only in Blitz. In standard play, super units aren’t time limited, from what I’ve seen.

> 2533274808386392;5:
> > 2533274802357607;3:
> > Super Unit’s are time limited things. They are more giant distractions or ways to attempt to turn the tides. Least in my view
>
> I believe that’s only in Blitz. In standard play, super units aren’t time limited, from what I’ve seen.

True, but they likely have viable counters. They could be be easily removed in the first game. Just takes time to find a method

> 2533274802357607;6:
> > 2533274808386392;5:
> > > 2533274802357607;3:
> > > Super Unit’s are time limited things. They are more giant distractions or ways to attempt to turn the tides. Least in my view
> >
> > I believe that’s only in Blitz. In standard play, super units aren’t time limited, from what I’ve seen.
>
> True, but they likely have viable counters. They could be be easily removed in the first game. Just takes time to find a method

Even if they don’t have counters, they aren’t really that smart to play in many situations…
If you see an enemy Scarab you can actually start to smile because everything you need to do is split your army in 2 and move them to the other two control points.
Your opponent just wasted 300 Energy (thats 5x a not-so-useless 60 Energy unit) on a time-limited (!!) single-control-point-blocker.
The Scarab is only effective if your opponent does not retreat (which enough people do, unfortunately).
I won at least 5 games 200 to 100+ where the opponents just wasted their energy with 2 scarabs and had no army left in the end.
Just play smart, then they are no problem.

> 2533274933478052;7:
> > 2533274802357607;6:
> > > 2533274808386392;5:
> > > > 2533274802357607;3:
> > > > Super Unit’s are time limited things. They are more giant distractions or ways to attempt to turn the tides. Least in my view
> > >
> > > I believe that’s only in Blitz. In standard play, super units aren’t time limited, from what I’ve seen.
> >
> > True, but they likely have viable counters. They could be be easily removed in the first game. Just takes time to find a method
>
> Even if they don’t have counters, they aren’t really that smart to play in many situations…
> If you see an enemy Scarab you can actually start to smile because everything you need to do is split your army in 2 and move them to the other two control points.
> Your opponent just wasted 300 Energy (thats 5x a not-so-useless 60 Energy unit) on a time-limited (!!) single-control-point-blocker.
> The Scarab is only effective if your opponent does not retreat (which enough people do, unfortunately).
> I won at least 5 games 200 to 100+ where the opponents just wasted their energy with 2 scarabs and had no army left in the end.
> Just play smart, then they are no problem.

But that’s just it. I’m saying they can be both OP and UP. I just don’t like them at all. And there are lots of situations where they could still be OP in 2v2 or 3v3 - I think what you were referring to was 1v1. I get that most RTS are “most balanced” at 1v1 mode but that’s’ the other thing about ultimate units (I realize now thats what they are called in this game) are generally used in team matches anyway and balance decisions for super units should be considered for team games.

Super Units are kind of Halo’s thing. From Scarabs to the Infinity. I’m personally glad that they added the Condor as a superunit for the UNSC; it’s a plausible answer to the Scarab that fits within the UNSC’s tech deployment.