Am I missing something? (RE: Customs Lobbies)

I start a lobby, pick a map and gametype, set max players to whatever I want the lobby size to be, an set privacy to “Open to All Players”…

…and then…?

…are people supposed to show up in my lobby, because it aint happnin.

A couple times, after I started the match by myself, a couple people randomly joined…but not ONCE in my Pre-Game Lobby. Am I doing it wrong?

> 2784591733887633;1:
> I start a lobby, pick a map and gametype, set max players to whatever I want the lobby size to be, an set privacy to “Open to All Players”…
>
> …and then…?
>
> …are people supposed to show up in my lobby, because it aint happnin.
>
> A couple times, after I started the match by myself, a couple people randomly joined…but not ONCE in my Pre-Game Lobby. Am I doing it wrong?

I think the match has to be in progress. They join the game. Thought they can stick around the lobby after that one ends if they want.

> 2533274880633045;2:
> > 2784591733887633;1:
> > I start a lobby, pick a map and gametype, set max players to whatever I want the lobby size to be, an set privacy to “Open to All Players”…
> >
> > …and then…?
> >
> > …are people supposed to show up in my lobby, because it aint happnin.
> >
> > A couple times, after I started the match by myself, a couple people randomly joined…but not ONCE in my Pre-Game Lobby. Am I doing it wrong?
>
> I think the match has to be in progress. They join the game. Thought they can stick around the lobby after that one ends if they want.

Yeah, this was my initial misconception too xD
So basicaly, don’t have the game timer set to end real shortly. I usually push it up by 5 minutes or ten minutes while I run around in the map waiting. Usually have a few joiners after a while and then the real fun starts kicking in after people begin joining.

So, if I want to host a Big Team Battle CTF match , I have to start the match with the teams, instead of 8v8, at 1v0?

…and then HOPE someone wants to play lopsided ctf…and hope that another 14 people will randomly decide to join a potentially lopsided CTF match?

…or do I need to first host FFA matches until my lobby gets full, and then hope that all those people either A: want to transition from FFA to Objective…OR…B: hope that all those people came for Objective games, but are going to be patient enough to stick around until the lobby gets full enough to switch over to objectives?

This CAN’T really be the way it is, can it?
So, I SERIOUSLY can’t just set up my parameters and wait IN LOBBY for my “LOBBY” to fill up, and THEN start the game?

Man…this game sure knows how to deliver JUST WHAT WE NEED…in almost the right way.

Lol, yeah, usually all of the lobbies I want to play in are full, lol! I usually have to search for a bit before I can find one I can join. I’ve thought about hosting but at least I know what to look forward to. You can always try inviting randoms (People you played with recently) into your lobbies and hope that gets the ball rolling.

> 2533274880633045;2:
> > 2784591733887633;1:
> > I start a lobby, pick a map and gametype, set max players to whatever I want the lobby size to be, an set privacy to “Open to All Players”…
> >
> > …and then…?
> >
> > …are people supposed to show up in my lobby, because it aint happnin.
> >
> > A couple times, after I started the match by myself, a couple people randomly joined…but not ONCE in my Pre-Game Lobby. Am I doing it wrong?
>
> I think the match has to be in progress. They join the game. Thought they can stick around the lobby after that one ends if they want.

Cod kind of does this… they don’t have a file browser, but in blops you could only system link a JIP.

All I mean is:
I want to host a match, and I want to be able to WAIT to start the match until I have enough player so SUPPORT the match.

This is basic Halo Customs logic. You don’t run a Team Objective match without the correct SET AMOUNT of players, or else the entire balance of the match goes out the window. You cannot expect to win a CTF match if they have 4 players, and you have 3.

When they announced this Browser, I was so excited to open my lobby, and sit back to watch it fill up with eager players chomping at the bit for the lobby to get full so I could push “START”… But that’s not at all, apparently, how this works.

So, I guess I am just seeking clarification and validation that my disappointment is indeed accurately placed, and that I’m just not jumping to conclusions that 343 pulled another “lame”, when it was really just me missing the obvious…but no.

Lame.

> 2784591733887633;4:
> So, if I want to host a Big Team Battle CTF match , I have to start the match with the teams, instead of 8v8, at 1v0?
>
> …and then HOPE someone wants to play lopsided ctf…and hope that another 14 people will randomly decide to join a potentially lopsided CTF match?
>
> …or do I need to first host FFA matches until my lobby gets full, and then hope that all those people either A: want to transition from FFA to Objective…OR…B: hope that all those people came for Objective games, but are going to be patient enough to stick around until the lobby gets full enough to switch over to objectives?
>
> This CAN’T really be the way it is, can it?
> So, I SERIOUSLY can’t just set up my parameters and wait IN LOBBY for my “LOBBY” to fill up, and THEN start the game?
>
> Man…this game sure knows how to deliver JUST WHAT WE NEED…in almost the right way.

Here’s the thing as far as I know. The game is on the dedicated server. The lobby is not on a dedicated server. There’s nothing to post in the browser because your lobby is not on a server.

Besides, if you’re starting a game from scratch, you could use Xbox’s LFG method.