Alright 343. PLEASE BE CONSISTENT.

I’m not sure why this has yet to be brought up with all those “CEA problem with Marines” and “CEA Assault rifle is wrong!” Threads. But why on earth is the Gold Elite (Zealot/General etc) in the trailer wearing WHITE armor? And it’s Zealot armor.

Please 343 be consistent. Do one of TWO THINGS, because I’m sick of Bungie changing the Elite ranks every time a new game/book comes out.

There are TWO options here:

1. Make the Elite wear General armor, and make him Gold, to match Halo Reach as the Canon rank structure.

2. Make the Elite wear Zealot armor, but make him Gold as well, to match Halo CE/2’s Canon rank structure.

Please pick one, it’s not hard and this is a part of the fiction that SHOULD have been static from the get-go, but for some reason noone could make up their bloody minds about.

And no, this isn’t necessarily just about the Elite ranks. This is about ALL aspects of Halo.

The best thing 343 could do for the series is make everything consistent to how the lore left off in Halo 2. Have the general plot of everything else be the same. But make sure that anything considerred “variable” between games and books as a general rule fall into the way it was between Halo: Fall or Reach, Halo CE, and Halo 2. Maybe even include First Strike in there. But not Ghosts of Onyx, and DEFINITELY not The Flood, since they were the initial wave of inconsistencies.

Blame bungie for ruining the canon with Reach. Not 343

That’s the point of this thread. To say Bungie ruined alot between Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, and Halo CE and 2 were the only two games with any form of consistency. Beyond that only the first 3 books (not counting the Flood) were stable in the lore. Though Ghosts of Onyx did mess some stuff up on the Covenant portion of the book.

But in general, like I said, Halo CE, 2, FoR, and FS are where Halo Canon was at it’s peak, and finding a way back to that, and fixing the inconsistencies is where 343 should focus.

I don’t see why color matters.

Color is the ENTIRE BASIS behind the Elite Rank structure.

I spent several years as part of Elite clans between Halo 2 and 3. And one of the biggest problems all those clans had was trying to place accurate ranks/color matches between different ranked Elites. But the one thing EVERYONE could agree on was that:

Minors were Blue
Majors were Red
Ultras were White
Zealots were Gold

And their ranks followed that order, Minors being the lowest of them, Zealots being the highest (of these 4, not necessarily in general)

This core theme is not what’s been messed with, and it is literally the ONLY portion of the Ranks that is STILL fairly consistent, though in Reach Zealots aren’t the same, they are different, and what WERE Zealots in Halo CE/2 are now Generals.

Branches like Honor Guards, SpecOps, and high ranks like Supreme Commanders, Imperial Admirals, etc. are ALL still illusive, and the books brought lots of contradictions like Majors being made Fleetmasters etc.

But when it comes to Elite ranks, Colors defining the ranks is the #1 consistent trait. And if that goes, there’s nothing to base any Elite lore knowledge on, and, like the issue with the AR and the Marines/Army tropper models, it proves that 343 cares little-to-nothing about preserving elements of Halo’s lore. And is just going to drive the series into the ground. (Plot-wise, as gameplay-wise they may do just fine)

And of course the next valid counterpoint to this wall is “well who’s to say it hasn’t been changed/different Elites just like to wear different stuff”

That’s rendered completely moot by the fact that the Covenant, ESPECIALLY the Elites, follow a system of honor, and religious/spiritual ritual behind their ranks. An Ultra can’t just WEAR Zealot armor, that is a form of treason, he would be killed on site. And would bring shame to his family. And when the game/story creators are blatantly changing the theme every game/book they release, it shows me they just don’t care about it, or their own story.

> I don’t see why color matters.

Consistency. I like it. Also, rank revolves around Armor color in the Covenant military. Again, I like consistency.

After halo 2 i never liked bungie anymore. hyped up and changed everything in every halo game. For example, the assault rifle automatically disappears in halo 2, then comes back in halo odst (which took place right during halo 2), equipment put in halo 3, no legendary ending in halo reach, never had that halo 2 E3 demo level in game etc etc

> After halo 2 i never liked bungie anymore. hyped up and changed everything in every halo game. For example, the assault rifle automatically disappears in halo 2, then comes back in halo odst (which took place right during halo 2), equipment put in halo 3, no legendary ending in halo reach, never had that halo 2 E3 demo level in game etc etc

Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. You have to remember that the weapons we see weren’t invented at the end of the war. For example, the MA5B, the rifle in CE, was around during the Harvest campaign. No doubt, by 2552, the MA5C was in the process was being phased in, which is why marines on the Autumn are not issued with it, but the marines in New Mombasa were.

OP, I agree that Elites should be gold, not white or maroon.

> > After halo 2 i never liked bungie anymore. hyped up and changed everything in every halo game. For example, the assault rifle automatically disappears in halo 2, then comes back in halo odst (which took place right during halo 2), equipment put in halo 3, no legendary ending in halo reach, never had that halo 2 E3 demo level in game etc etc
>
> Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. You have to remember that the weapons we see weren’t invented at the end of the war. For example, the MA5B, the rifle in CE, was around during the Harvest campaign. No doubt, by 2552, the MA5C was in the process was being phased in, which is why marines on the Autumn are not issued with it, but the marines in New Mombasa were.
>
> OP, I agree that Elites should be gold, not white or maroon.

It was on Earth and in new mombasa in halo odst where master chief was. There was no reason to remove the assault rifle i halo 2. It was a great, iconic weapon and bungie should have known how much the fans loved it.

> > > After halo 2 i never liked bungie anymore. hyped up and changed everything in every halo game. For example, the assault rifle automatically disappears in halo 2, then comes back in halo odst (which took place right during halo 2), equipment put in halo 3, no legendary ending in halo reach, never had that halo 2 E3 demo level in game etc etc
> >
> > Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. You have to remember that the weapons we see weren’t invented at the end of the war. For example, the MA5B, the rifle in CE, was around during the Harvest campaign. No doubt, by 2552, the MA5C was in the process was being phased in, which is why marines on the Autumn are not issued with it, but the marines in New Mombasa were.
> >
> > OP, I agree that Elites should be gold, not white or maroon.
>
> It was on Earth and in new mombasa in halo odst where master chief was. There was no reason to remove the assault rifle i halo 2. It was a great, iconic weapon and bungie should have known how much the fans loved it.

Truth. They also shouldn’t have made it as weak as it was in Halo 3 and ODST.

> > > > After halo 2 i never liked bungie anymore. hyped up and changed everything in every halo game. For example, the assault rifle automatically disappears in halo 2, then comes back in halo odst (which took place right during halo 2), equipment put in halo 3, no legendary ending in halo reach, never had that halo 2 E3 demo level in game etc etc
> > >
> > > Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. You have to remember that the weapons we see weren’t invented at the end of the war. For example, the MA5B, the rifle in CE, was around during the Harvest campaign. No doubt, by 2552, the MA5C was in the process was being phased in, which is why marines on the Autumn are not issued with it, but the marines in New Mombasa were.
> > >
> > > OP, I agree that Elites should be gold, not white or maroon.
> >
> > It was on Earth and in new mombasa in halo odst where master chief was. There was no reason to remove the assault rifle i halo 2. It was a great, iconic weapon and bungie should have known how much the fans loved it.
>
> Truth. They also shouldn’t have made it as weak as it was in Halo 3 and ODST.

Indeed my friend, indeed.

But anyway back on topic. Elite ranks was just an example. The entire point of this thread is that if 343 doesn’t decide what’s Canon and STICK TO IT. As in STOP releasing fiction that directly/indirectly contradicts anything that has already been established as actual Halo lore, the Halo series is doomed to continue failing. There WAS a time when people played Halo’s campaign. It was for the GREAT storytelling, and consistent lore. Back in the days of Halo CE, Halo 2, FoR, and First Strike. But ever since Halo: The Flood, Ghosts of Onyx, and 3, we have seen one of two things start to plague the Halo universe 1: bad storytelling as per Halo: The Flood and Halo 3, later in Halo 3: ODST, Reach, Legends, etc. and 2: Canonical Contradictions as seen in Halo: GoO, The Flood, Contact Harvest, Wars, ODST, Reach, Legends etc.

And both have gone from being separate, but existing threats, to fully hand-in-hand destroying the Halo story. And now in all honesty there are situations everywhere where players have to either choose to disregard either the new, or old Canon, in most places I think players try to disregard the new, and keep with the old. Or where players are forced to simply be ignorant, OR confused as to what is going on in the, now becoming absolutely inconsistent Halo series.

While the general rule of fiction is new Canon trumps old Canon, as well as Bungie’s rule of Games trump other fiction. It’s getting to the point where I just want 343 to stop. Realize “Wow, Halo’s fiction is completely mixed up now” and sort out what needs to be sorted out. If that includes re-writing or editing the Halo bible to be MUCH more specific than please do it. And take my advice: Most of us prefer OLD fiction to NEW fiction. Most of the new fiction is gimmicks and over-done attempts to make humanity look better than they are (Winning battles in pretty much ever book/story that comes out despite apparently losing the war). These unrealistic stories need to stop entirely. The humans were LOSING, DYING, getting SLAUGHTERED. This needs to be reflected on and made a reality. The old lore exacted on this, making it feel like Spartans were literally the only thing standing between the Covenant and a free win at every battle. When Spartans weren’t involved, the UNSC got their -Yoinks!- kicked. I want to see that come back.

I agree Bungie needs to stop messing with cannon, like how they added engineers in halo odst, then brought them back in reach, as if they were there the whole time, and then added skirmishers with seemingly no explanation of why they weren’t in the other games.

> I agree Bungie needs to stop messing with cannon, like how they added engineers in halo odst, then brought them back in reach, as if they were there the whole time, and then added skirmishers with seemingly no explanation of why they weren’t in the other games.

/thread

This point actually was brought up in a few of the other similar threads, and I’m pretty sure the Elites are placeholder as well. Wait until we get some further along footage, though.