All Hate Aside

I know Halo 5’s campaign was very lack luster compared to the rest of the franchise but I don’t think it was as bad as what people say it is. Where I do think it sucked where you only played as chief three times, and the campaign itself was short, I honestly kinda liked it.

Now before you start slamming me and calling me names hear me out. If you actually dive in to the “extras” of the campaign there were actually quite a bit of detail that was put in. What I do like about it:

1. Even though it wasn’t perfect I liked the squad system in the game. You could at least tell the AI to do basic things so they aren’t completely useless.
  2. Sanghelios or just a covenant like planet, was something fans have wanted to see for a long time that bungie never would have done. I like how they actually were able to throw in a whole civil war involving the arbiter and the elites who teamed up with the UNSC in Halo 3 fighting Jul M’dama’s faction.
  3. The level design was incredible in my mind. It fit the play style of Halo 5 very well.
  4. Bringing in chiefs old squad (which in the books were still alive) was a nice thing as well.
  5. Even though a lot of people didn’t like the passive missions, i liked them. It gave you the chance to explore and find extras or easter eggs but as well if you didn’t want to do it you could basically by pass the whole thing.
  6. Warden eternal was a good addition

Halo 5 does have its faults but as a whole I didn’t mind the campaign. I think people may like it better once Halo 6 comes out and things make a bit more sense. I remember Halo 2 wasn’t as liked as what it is now when it first came out. This is all my opinion but this is what I think.

The intro scene did it for me , so awesome

To me the Campaign was OK. Just hated how they offed Jul in a cut scene, made us fight the Warden so many yoinking times, only three Blue team missions and the new plot being AI vs humanity war brewing, should have came up with a new alien species or something… Or what would have been sweet some kind of follow up to the movie Nightfall and a new organized group of Covenant that are attacking colonies even with biological weapons

You had me until you said warden eternal. First time I fought him was like meh then the next 10x it was like please God make it end.

> 2533274827113670;4:
> You had me until you said warden eternal. First time I fought him was like meh then the next 10x it was like please God make it end.

The fights were annoying but I meant him more as a character. I completely agree with you with fighting him because he does get annoying. I hated fighting him in the triple warden fight on the last blue team mission especially on Legendary…god the pain.

My first and only play through of the campaign was on legendary and man, it was a challenge. it made me really appreciate the cut scenes, they provided a break and i could finally relax. Perhaps, that could be why enjoyed the campaign more than others.

> 2533274884571925;1:
> 1. Even though it wasn’t perfect I liked the squad system in the game. You could at least tell the AI to do basic things so they aren’t completely useless.
> 2. Sanghelios or just a covenant like planet, was something fans have wanted to see for a long time that bungie never would have done. I like how they actually were able to throw in a whole civil war involving the arbiter and the elites who teamed up with the UNSC in Halo 3 fighting Jul M’dama’s faction.
> 3. The level design was incredible in my mind. It fit the play style of Halo 5 very well.
> 4. Bringing in chiefs old squad (which in the books were still alive) was a nice thing as well.
> 5. Even though a lot of people didn’t like the passive missions, i liked them. It gave you the chance to explore and find extras or easter eggs but as well if you didn’t want to do it you could basically by pass the whole thing.
> 6. Warden eternal was a good addition

1. It’s a good first step, but Republic Commando had a better squad system back in 2005.
  2. Sanghelios is nice, but it feels so disconnected from the rest of Halo 5. Bringing an end to the “Covenant” should have been a major deal, but it’s overshadowed by the Created and the nonsense that brings.
  3. At times, yes.
  4. Nice to see Blue Team, but 343 did -Yoink- all with them.
  5. The passive missions were fine, but they should have been incorporated in existing levels rather than standalone levels. It feels like padding the mission count otherwise.
  6. Why is the Warden Eternal a good addition? He’s just…there. There isn’t anything special about him and his origin is just left as a mystery despite probably not even being all that great of a mystery to begin with.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> > 2533274884571925;1:
> > 1. Even though it wasn’t perfect I liked the squad system in the game. You could at least tell the AI to do basic things so they aren’t completely useless.
> > 2. Sanghelios or just a covenant like planet, was something fans have wanted to see for a long time that bungie never would have done. I like how they actually were able to throw in a whole civil war involving the arbiter and the elites who teamed up with the UNSC in Halo 3 fighting Jul M’dama’s faction.
> > 3. The level design was incredible in my mind. It fit the play style of Halo 5 very well.
> > 4. Bringing in chiefs old squad (which in the books were still alive) was a nice thing as well.
> > 5. Even though a lot of people didn’t like the passive missions, i liked them. It gave you the chance to explore and find extras or easter eggs but as well if you didn’t want to do it you could basically by pass the whole thing.
> > 6. Warden eternal was a good addition
>
> 1. It’s a good first step, but Republic Commando had a better squad system back in 2005.
> 2. Sanghelios is nice, but it feels so disconnected from the rest of Halo 5. Bringing an end to the “Covenant” should have been a major deal, but it’s overshadowed by the Created and the nonsense that brings.
> 3. At times, yes.
> 4. Nice to see Blue Team, but 343 did -Yoink- all with them.
> 5. The passive missions were fine, but they should have been incorporated in existing levels rather than standalone levels. It feels like padding the mission count otherwise.
> 6. Why is the Warden Eternal a good addition? He’s just…there. There isn’t anything special about him and his origin is just left as a mystery despite probably not even being all that great of a mystery to begin with.

I agree to a point. Its not a perfect game and 343 definitely could/should have done better, but they are at least trying to bring it in a good direction instead of driving it into the ground like some companies have done with other games.

1. I agree republic commando had a better squad system then what Halo 5 has but like you said its a start.
  2. I think with the fall of the Covenant with them killing off Jul early in the game, it just wasn’t able to be as cool or as well executed as what it could have been.
  3. For what I understand, after reading an article from Halo Swallower, there were a lot of issues behind the scenes dealing with microsoft which is why there aren’t as many blue team missions as well as many others things involving the campaign.
  4. I kind of agree with the passive missions should have maybe been executed a bit differently, but the missions I think would have been a bit to cluttered if they did that in my opinion
  5. With Warden his origins are very vague or just non-existent but I think it will be cleared up in one of the next few Halo games. I just think the character has potential and gives off a better antagonist role than the typical good guy gone bad like Cortana. Even if he is only just an “assistant” to Cortana.

> 5. With Warden his origins are very vague or just non-existent but I think it will be cleared up in one of the next few Halo games. I just think the character has potential and gives off a better antagonist role than the typical good guy gone bad like Cortana. Even if he is only just an “assistant” to Cortana.

But he’s just your generic bad guy either way. He’s the Guardian of the Domain, but Halo 5 is the first we ever hear of him and evidently he isn’t a good guardian in he just let Cortana waltz in and control it. Even *Tales from Slipspace’*s story Dominion Splinter doesn’t shed any new light. He’s just there, watching over the Domain, and then Cortana is able to sneak past him and control him. He just serves as an obligatory boss.

Besides, we already had the Didact who could have occupied Cortana and Warden’s role yet instead we get one crappy character in the Warden’s case and an out of character version of Cortana who was made evil because…reasons.

Honestly, I would find the Warden Eternal as a okay boss fight if the boss fight happens only at the final scene in the final mission just like how Tartarus was treated in Halo 2.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> > 5. With Warden his origins are very vague or just non-existent but I think it will be cleared up in one of the next few Halo games. I just think the character has potential and gives off a better antagonist role than the typical good guy gone bad like Cortana. Even if he is only just an “assistant” to Cortana.
>
> But he’s just your generic bad guy either way. He’s the Guardian of the Domain, but Halo 5 is the first we ever hear of him and evidently he isn’t a good guardian in he just let Cortana waltz in and control it. Even *Tales from Slipspace’*s story Dominion Splinter doesn’t shed any new light. He’s just there, watching over the Domain, and then Cortana is able to sneak past him and control him. He just serves as an obligatory boss.
>
> Besides, we already had the Didact who could have occupied Cortana and Warden’s role yet instead we get one crappy character in the Warden’s case and an out of character version of Cortana who was made evil because…reasons.

I agree he is pretty generic in Halo 5 and the Didact would have been a lot better if they kept him around, I’m just saying the potential is there for him in future games. Whether or not he actually turns out to be a good antagonist or not, or if they even reveal his origins at all. I also agree 343 didn’t do a great job with bringing him into the game with really no explanation which is why I think it will probably be revealed in the later games.

> 2533275008181400;10:
> Honestly, I would find the Warden Eternal as a okay boss fight if the boss fight happens only at the final scene in the final mission just like how Tartarus was treated in Halo 2.

That would have definitely been a lot better than how it is now. I think the only reason why they did it the way they did was because of Warzone and having an AI enemy that could be brought in that isn’t crazy overpowered.

I agree with just about everything you said.

• The squad system and other characters was a cool new mechanic. While they were helpful at times, I felt that their AI attributes were a bit lacking, going almost to Marine level intelligence and health. This was especially on the harder difficulties when I had some particularly annoying skulls on. Their lengthy respawn times was also something I didn’t quite like either, especially when I went through the Legendary campaign with Iron on. Another thing I didn’t like about it was the fact that there was so much emphasis on the co-op campaign. Each character has at least one piece of lore in either literature, miniseries or previous game that gives more depth to them. They have their own loadouts, armor mods, dialogue (Talk to the elite fixing the banshee in Alliance when you’re playing as someone other than Locke), custom HUDs. So much effort was put into that customization yet we can’t use or experience them unless we’re playing with a friend. I was hoping that there was going to be a matchmaking part of the story mode so that it made the effort put in not go so unnoticed, but sadly that dream was crushed too. - Sanghelios is just how I imagined it to be. We’ve read about it in the books, comics and seen it in Halo Legends’ The Duel. Finally getting to set foot on the elites’ homeworld is awesome and I have to admit that I squealed like a fangirl when I found out a part of the campaign was going to take place there. A lot of the desert/badlands terrain seen in Swords/Enemy Lines feels like it got inspiration from North Africa/Middle East. With all the things going on in that region; the violence escalating on the planet fits really well. Sunaion reminds me a lot of Kamino without the rain XD What did bother me was that we could see it at the beginning of SoS, but when we went to the battle later; no landmass was in sight. I wondered; is Sunaion close to the continent or in the middle of the ocean? It was something really trivial, but I found it unclear. - The campaign felt designed around the various Spartan abilities in the game with breakable entrances and just about any surface could be reaching by climbing. There was even some differences in the dialogue if you took different paths or found hidden stuff. - I’ve read just about every book in the Halo series and have already loved each member of Blue Team. It’s been my longtime wish to see them in actual gameplay alongside the Chief. My dream would come even more true if we could have a game where it depicts Chief’s missions with Blue Team during the Human-Covenant War that were described in the books like Fall of Reach’s Sigma Octanus battle and First Strike’s Unyielding raid. While I was disappointed about the three Blue Team missions in the game; they made up for it in quality as being very pivotal points and highlights of the story. - I could see why people didn’t like the passive missions. I myself was misled when it was confirmed that there would be 15 total playable levels, but then it was kind of stupid to hear that 3 of them were just running around talking to people and not actually fighting bad guys. On the other hand; it did give more depth on in-game lore and what life was like on that respective world. You could really tell that neither the Meridian settlers or the sangheili regarded the Spartans highly. Wish there was a function in the pause menu to skip it rather than waste time scrambling around to go to the places of action. - Yes; the Warden was a pain in the rear when we had to face him many times. But he was a fantastic folly to both Blue Team and Osiris even though I kind of think he’s a bit of a cheap replacement to the Didact. I do hope he gets some more depth in future games since I doubt we’ve seen the last of him as Cortana’s lapdog. - I also felt that Jul 'Mdama’s death was quite pathetic. He had been built up so good as a character through the Kilo trilogy and Halo 4 only to get stabbed a couple times by Locke not even two missions into the story. He would’ve made such a good secondary villain and maybe even a reluctant ally to the UNSC when realizing Cortana as the galaxy’s true threat. It is a bit of irony that he despised humanity, yet his tactics against them were more analogous to humans than traditional sangheili.So yeah, Halo 5 isn’t perfect and there were ways it could be ten times better, but do remember that it could have been a lot more disappointing,

GH

It gets way more hate than it deserves, but when your extremely high expectations aren’t met, things tend to get blown out of proportion.

If the quality and polish that Sanghelios features as a whole was offered through the whole game?
Hoo boy.
It’d be my favourite I think.
I just can’t get past how they dropped all the story threads from Halo 4 and SpOps and ruined the setting and Cortana’s character in one fell swoop. As well as just killing off Jul–after all his development!–in a cutscene at the beginning of the game.
Playing the Sanghelios missions feels to me like an indication of what H5 COULD have been. Alas, it just sort of…
Wasn’t.

> 2533274913115363;15:
> I just can’t get past how they dropped all the story threads from Halo 4 and SpOps and ruined the setting and Cortana’s character in one fell swoop. As well as just killing off Jul–after all his development!–in a cutscene at the beginning of the game.

That’s what you get when you’re a bit too sensitive to the hate your first game received (for little reason): you panic and try to cover it up. I bet if people weren’t so judging of Halo 4 initially, then maybe we would have a better Halo 5 story that included those things.

Nevertheless, I can tolerate the campaign for the most part. I don’t care about the side and/or minuscule details like the passive missions. I play to enjoy what the campaign does offer me while trying to enjoy the story as it’s own thing rather than taking it as a continuation. As such, I can become somewhat invested and interested in the Created story arc, which with me saying will lead to my execution.

> 2535405116054664;16:
> > 2533274913115363;15:
> > I just can’t get past how they dropped all the story threads from Halo 4 and SpOps and ruined the setting and Cortana’s character in one fell swoop. As well as just killing off Jul–after all his development!–in a cutscene at the beginning of the game.
>
> That’s what you get when you’re a bit too sensitive to the hate your first game received (for little reason): you panic and try to cover it up. I bet if people weren’t so judging of Halo 4 initially, then maybe we would have a better Halo 5 story that included those things.
>
> Nevertheless, I can tolerate the campaign for the most part. I don’t care about the side and/or minuscule details like the passive missions. I play to enjoy what the campaign does offer me while trying to enjoy the story as it’s own thing rather than taking it as a continuation. As such, I can become somewhat invested and interested in the Created story arc, which with me saying will lead to my execution.

Probably XD but not by me.
We’re on the same page I think dood.
It’s an enjoyable experience still, it’s just a shame about all the wasted potential :frowning: