Aiming With A Gun

I think 343 should add “Aiming” with Halo 4, just like in Call of Duty. It would make the game better, and the weapons would be much funner to use. And every time you hit someone a little check mark appears on the screen.

Why is it that every now and then someone comes here to propose additions to Halo that would make it more like those generic modern shooters when Halo should try to get away from that and keep it’s place as a strict arena style shooter?

Both of of those mechanics would add nothing to gameplay of Halo, they don’t add depth, they don’t add skill, they are rerudant mechanics that don’t belong to Halo.

> Why is it that every now and then someone comes here to propose additions to Halo that would make it more like those generic modern shooters when Halo should try to get away from that and keep it’s place as a strict arena style shooter?
>
> Both of of those mechanics would add nothing to gameplay of Halo, they don’t add depth, they don’t add skill, they are rerudant mechanics that don’t belong to Halo.

^ This

Plus, you know when you hit someone by the fact that their shields light up.

So you’re saying you want halo to be more like COD, no, just no, it wouldn’t we halo anymore.

> Why is it that every now and then someone comes here to propose additions to Halo that would make it more like those generic modern shooters when Halo should try to get away from that and keep it’s place as a strict arena style shooter?
>
> Both of of those mechanics would add nothing to gameplay of Halo, they don’t add depth, they don’t add skill, they are rerudant mechanics that don’t belong to Halo.

This, this, a thousand times, this.

We have enough CoD clones. If you want to play something similar to Halo but with ADS, go play Crysis. Seriously. It has shields and everything.

It just isn’t Halo mechanics. For “realism” it would be a cool touch, but Halo is sweet without. The gameplay is better and it makes it just have that ‘Halo’ feel to it.

One of the main reasons I still enjoy playing Halo is that it has remained pretty distant from CoD-style gameplay compared to all of FPS’s released recently. Like Time Glitch said, if you want a Halo-CoD hybrid game, try Crysis 2.

> So you’re saying you want halo to be more like COD, no, just no, it wouldn’t we halo anymore.

Thank you.

> > Why is it that every now and then someone comes here to propose additions to Halo that would make it more like those generic modern shooters when Halo should try to get away from that and keep it’s place as a strict arena style shooter?
> >
> > Both of of those mechanics would add nothing to gameplay of Halo, they don’t add depth, they don’t add skill, they are rerudant mechanics that don’t belong to Halo.
>
> This, this, a thousand times, this.
>
> We have enough CoD clones. If you want to play something similar to Halo but with ADS, go play Crysis. Seriously. It has shields and everything.

One word, this.

> > Why is it that every now and then someone comes here to propose additions to Halo that would make it more like those generic modern shooters when Halo should try to get away from that and keep it’s place as a strict arena style shooter?
> >
> > Both of of those mechanics would add nothing to gameplay of Halo, they don’t add depth, they don’t add skill, they are rerudant mechanics that don’t belong to Halo.
>
> ^ This
>
> Plus, you know when you hit someone by the fact that their shields light up.

Agreed.

That would just be like cod, but in space o.0

Its pretty clear that this is a terrible idea… people play halo because it ISNT the same as all of the other shooters.

> It just isn’t Halo mechanics. For “realism” it would be a cool touch, but Halo is sweet without. The gameplay is better and it makes it just have that ‘Halo’ feel to it.

If you are going to argue the point that what OP proposes would add realism you really need to change the argument you are using to support the point.

I have been using real firearms for 18 years, and there is no site, reticle, scope, or aiming system out there that detects if you are putting steel on target and then gives you “little check marks” in your site to tell you same.

So another argument other than realism needs to be used, because there actually isn’t anything at all in CoD that’s real, and bringing it to Halo surely doesn’t make it real.

There is a really loud smack noise when you punch someone

You’re kidding right? That’s a huge part of what sets Halo apart from other games.

The scope system we have now works just fine.

I think this isn’t a good idea, but I dislike the people who say “that would make this game just like cod” or “it’s halo, not cod.” Come up with a good reason why you don’t like it, not just “it’s like cod, so it’s bad.” I think it’s bad because it is nonessential to the gameplay and if implemented causes sticky problems like auto-aim/aim assist, quickscoping, etc. If fused with bloom (in any form) it would complicate the system unnecessarily - and if you aim when you shoot the gun, isn’t recoil unavoidable? No, I don’t like this idea because it complicates a system that really doesn’t need that much more tweaking.

> I think this isn’t a good idea, but I dislike the people who say “that would make this game just like cod” or “it’s halo, not cod.” Come up with a good reason why you don’t like it, not just “it’s like cod, so it’s bad.” I think it’s bad because it is nonessential to the gameplay and if implemented causes sticky problems like auto-aim/aim assist, quickscoping, etc. If fused with bloom (in any form) it would complicate the system unnecessarily - and if you aim when you shoot the gun, isn’t recoil unavoidable? No, I don’t like this idea because it complicates a system that really doesn’t need that much more tweaking.

CoD has enough wrong with it where we shouldn’t have to explain every time.

My dislike for the idea has not much to do with CoD really, other than we already have way too many CoD look-alikes and clones out there. We don’t need Halo to be another one.

That said, there is totally room for a more CoD-esque Halo game in the form of the next ODST, maybe. I could see it being very possible to have an ADS system in another ODST game, and make the combat less “Run and Gun” and more visceral and “Take Cover!”. I just don’t want to see any of those super-experimental ideas bleed over into the new trilogy itself.

> That said, there is totally room for a more CoD-esque Halo game in the form of the next ODST, maybe

I agree. Troopers themselves should be calling in support from Longswords, dropships and other forms. Ohhh but to mix it more with GRAW than CoD. I’d put GRAW’s gameplay to Halo’s flare and then add CoD like call-in assists. But I don’t like the idea of kill streaks to earn them… So have it all described as above, shaken into something BF like. That way, we can have the vehicles too. NO ADS. That’s what the monocle is for.

hmmm that is quite the martini. But I still want my Spartan gameplay. Always want that.

I’ll tell you something son…

ADS or “aiming with a gun” like you call it, wouldn’t fit Halo because of the following: You’re a super soldier; you got pin point accuracy when shooting from the hip, it’s like you would be ADS all the time, when you use a scope, you don’t put the scope at your eye, instead the scope from your gun goes to your helmet and you can zoom and aim, it’s more BA and more original that way, why add a bad game mechanic to the game that won’t add anything of value (e.g bloom), no, 343i should keep it Halo.

This is what Frankie thinks of the matter:
“Ultimately the core game mechanic and strength of the universe doesn’t need to be changed, it just needs to be taken deeper. We want to make Halo games - we don’t want to make Call of Duty or Ridge Racer. We want to make Halo games because we understand what’s special about Halo.”