Aim assist " The addiction that need to end "

I know this might be an unpopular opinion piece especially for those who grew up mostly playing Halo or COD games . But it is still accurate … regardless

A long time ago , back when i use to play with a controler on Old school Xbox , x360 , ps1 , ps2 ps3 era i came to the realisation that Halo aim assist and COD4 aim assist mainly as created the foundation for entire Generation of peoples to get addicted to the Aim assist they built into their games … I could compare it to cigarette addiction .For the cigarette addict to feel normal he need to smoke even if he could stop smoking feel the effect for a while then realise he do not need cigarette to feel normal . For the aim assist addiction its the same . For them to feel a game is " normal " they need aim assist otherwise they think the game is missing something .

There was plenty of franchises who didnt had remotly any level of aim assist or very little compared to what COD and HALO had offered to their players in order to make a quick buck or to get away to poor optimization and low frame rates of their games . Most of those addicted to aim assist didnt wanted to play those games ( without strong aim assistance ) because their first experiences was with aim assist , they got instant gratification from it , instead of being at the level they should be at and then improove from there .

Uber strong aim assist as been detrimental to competitive play in shooter games … What make shooters shooters a shooter game is Reflex /Accuracy /Speed controle mixed with moovement and the way to can adapt your aiming positioning etc… with the said moovement , aim assist screw up those equation making the macro/micro ajustement for you " sticky aim " and bullet bending being the #1 culprit of it all . Aim assist make Headshot mastering irrevelant etc. Why would you train to shoot straight in the head when you can simply shoot 2feet up diagonal left or right over the head and get a headshot ? Yes some player will be better than others both having aim assist but still its not the point i am making .

There as never ever been a requirement for Aim assist ever . I was playing on a controler at very high skill ceiling level without aim assist in most games i played where i could either disable it or where it was unexistant . Treyarch COD were allowing us to disable aim assist even if overall it put us at disavantage and i played like that and i was pretty good wich show that with decent quality controlers ( not broken powdery one ) you could be pretty accurate . I tried everything from control freak and all that … but at the end of the day the quality of the thumbstick will change a lot the capacity to make diagonal mooves accurate so elite controler have it way better than standard one .

Thats said . this dependancy to Aim assist as become way to ridiculous now … Peoples wanting instant gratification pretending AIm assistance is a necessity rather than a quality of life improovement for low level skill players . They ask for Aimbots like aim assist as if its a requirement instead of trying to improove themselves and their own aiming skills or even switch to MKB they prefer asking devs to increase aim assistance instead of reducing it to have REAL better players to come on top … The excuses of MKB vs Controlers always come up but the reality is Halo has been Controlers vs Controlers for decades and yet they have still requested more and more aim assist all these years in Destiny games and in Halo games . So we will leave it at that .

Also This aint a conversation of MKB vs Controler … Even if i was playing with a controler i would want NO aim assist competitive game in Halo and many controlers players have ask for this or at least for aim assist to be tone down a lots .

MKB and Controler will be separated in Halo infinite so its not the issue here … the issue is the addiction and the wound Aim assist as created in peoples mind and how detrimental it is to peoples mind . When i suck at a game i persist i learn the mechanics the recoils how to handle it i ajust my sensitivity to my liking i practice my aiming and i find rewarding to get better … But when you basically get a hitbox of 7feet by 6 feet because of bullet bending and when you have a sticky aim that track target for you there is little to no reason to be proud of anything even if you can be better than others with the same aim assist …

Aim assist isnt necessary and of course it would take longer to some individuals to get use to certain game but then peoples would end up realising it after practicing without it and by being forced to do so in a game where everything counts , moovement , aiming , map awareness , map control and so on …

It make me laugh when peoples use excuses like shooters are not just about aiming but also about moovement … When moovement actually boost up the aim assist like COD warzone its not about moovement and tactical placement etc… moovement trigger greater and better aim assist than standing still … A game like quake or unreal or counter strike competitive on PC is Competitive to a real sens and everything is included from Aiming to moovement and all the rest … Its not a good excuse to be excluding aiming as an important factor in a shooter game like what ?

• Also in some game moovement are exploited to use the flaws of videogames like peaker advantage , bad hit reg when spaming AD and so on this isnt much a skill as it is an exploits of flaw netcode and engine or animations system .

I just hope peoples will get to that realisation , i hope game devs will stop trying to give peoples the aim assist coolaids for a quick buck encouraging instant gratification …Real skills come with time and dedication . Aiming skills should come first in a shooter game and moovement is a part of the shooting skills range not separated from it …

Everyones are able to aim very well on MKB or Controlers if they practice themselves and Game devs shouldnt implement aimbots called aim assist to level the playing field unless its to temporarely help very new players and it is clear it will be taken away …

Anyway this was my 2 cents into the world of aim assist wich for me was and is detrimental to peoples self estime , to shooter genre as a whole . Promoting instant gratification isnt a good thing .

It’s difficult isn’t it.

Halo has to be accessible to everyone… not just the 1% of the population with mad elite skills.

At it’s core it needs to be fun.

And in social the different input groups need to be functionally similar - so that matchmaking can create even groups / teams.

How about a dynamic aim assist that starts off friendly… and drops off as your MMR climbs. Kind of like training wheels on a bike. Ideally you wouldn’t even notice it disappearing as you climb the ladder.

Ok I’m sorry it has to be said… Your spelling/grammar uh… could use some work. Perhaps English isn’t your first language so i don’t wish to be rude. But “moovement” made me chuckle.

As for the topic, I’m pretty neutral on aim assist. I see no reason for it to go way entirely. I think (much like most things in gaming today) people are making a big deal out of something that they don’t need to.

> 2585548714655118;2:
> It’s difficult isn’t it.
>
> Halo has to be accessible to everyone… not just the 1% of the population with mad elite skills.
>
> At it’s core it needs to be fun.
>
> And in social the different input groups need to be functionally similar - so that matchmaking can create even groups / teams.
>
> How about a dynamic aim assist that starts off friendly… and drops off as your MMR climbs. Kind of like training wheels on a bike. Ideally you wouldn’t even notice it disappearing as you climb the ladder.

I understand what you are saying , but i dont agree with it all

I would be fine with the Aim assist to help very handicaped players like players with a constant 0.2 KDR barely able to do anything

But anyones normal do not need to be SUper elites … Killzone games remotly had no Aim assist and anyones coulld get into the game and be somewhat decent with practices … Bungie has used aim assist for 2 reason in halo . 1 was instant gratification like you do with a child when you let them win and the second in Halo Reach was to increase aim assist to make up for bad performance and smooth out the game artificially … But in Halo infinite running at 120 fps on XbSX there is no justification to have strong aim assist the Thumbstick quality have become much better than they are use to and much more precise …

I think competitive game even with controlers should have Zero aim assist . The sniper in most halo had no aim assist and many controler players were really good with it including myself … At first i was not good neither MKB in the Unreal days or Controlers on Ps1 or xbox original or Ps2 io had to practice but i had the chance to not get hook up on the coolaid that is aim assist …

Aim assist does not bring accessibility per say , it bring dependancy to aim assist further down the line wich is bad … MKB games do not make aim assistance for better " Inclusion " narative … Anyones new to MKB will get shred into pieces by Quake and Unreal pro if he goes play quake or unreal and even decent MKB players would shred newbies … But still this person wont stop playing because they get shred , they will enjoy the kill they end up having for their 10 death until they improove you are getting what i am saying ? If there is no need for this on MKB there is no more need for this on controler … Ive played on insanely high level with controlers in games with no sticky aim no bullet bending and no Uber aim assist and i was very accurate . There is no excuses

But if they really have to put aim assist at least make it as little as possible and only available for Uber low end players and disable as soon as you it a certain threshold !

The biggest reason for aim AA is money ,it sell’s game.
Sadly ppl get hooked to the feel of it…

Aim assist is neccessary for shooters to be viable to play on controllers. It’s why it was invented in the first place. It’s also a big part of what makes halo aiming feel like it does in previous games, which is important. The game doesn’t need much, just more than it has now (which is virtually none).

> 2533274866536985;6:
> Aim assist is neccessary for shooters to be viable to play on controllers. It’s why it was invented in the first place. It’s also a big part of what makes halo aiming feel like it does in previous games, which is important. The game doesn’t need much, just more than it has now (which is virtually none).

Please explain why i and thousan of others peoples are able to play aim assist OFF " COD black ops 1 on Ps3 or killzone " or Halo Friendly fire 1 vs 1 custum game just fine ? Because we trained ourselves without aim assist and because it is more than possible to play with a controler without aim assist , there is NO NEED to have aim assist … developpers did this for 2 reason , to make players beleive they are better than what they actually are without them noticing it much … Or because the performance of the game was so terrible that they needed aim assist to smooth out the gameplay because aiming with a controler at low FPS is nearly impossible even with a MKB , but there is NO LONGER any excuses with a HALO that will run at 60 fps on xbox one and 120+ FPS on XboxSX

As an advocate for 1:1 game control, I completely agree. I hate aim assist in shooters for the same reason I hate autocombos in fighting games. It creates inconsistency (sensitivity constantly changing / the same button doing several different attacks) it lowers the skill gap artificially (makes aim easier / makes bad combos do more damage) and it’s all in the name of casual play and ease of access. I think that if they removed it, players would just get use to it.

Out of interest… was anyone able to work out how much aim assist the Infinite flight had for controllers?

You can’t compare mnk to controller they aren’t the same in the slightest. A controller will never be as accurate as a mouse without aim assist, and even then a mouse can do a 180 flick in a millisecond.

You’re also making aim assist seem like an aimbot when it really isn’t. If you go on halo 5 right now you’re going to lose 95% of your gunfights, because the people on the game right now have the time and experience in the game. Like you said new PC players getting destroyed by old PC players with experience it’s exactly the same on console with controller.

I’ve played every halo on console and this tech flight had the least by far, barley felt any assist besides the battle rifle. Barely even touched the sniper and skewer because hitting a headshot was nearly impossible with no slowdown while getting shot at.

You also said if they removed aim assist people will just learn to get better without it, I really doubt that. New people would play the game get destroyed, and go on to another game they would actually have fun on. Why would they waste their time training without aim assist, when there are so many other enjoyable games that don’t require so much training. What’s the point of training to be better at a game that supposed to be entertainment unless you’re a pro. Time would be be better spent training in a gun range in real life.

> 2533274826424961;10:
> You can’t compare mnk to controller they aren’t the same in the slightest. A controller will never be as accurate as a mouse without aim assist, and even then a mouse can do a 180 flick in a millisecond.

Do we need a 180 degree flip button on the controller?

It’s a huge disadvantage… especially given how vulnerable the Spartans are from behind. A bit Sontaran like.

I always thought it would create some awesome John Wick type moments…

I’m assuming you haven’t hit adulthood yet, but many people don’t have time to get good with aiming. The majority of players want aim assist.

Aim Assist - The Addiction to Basic Controller Functionality

Fixed the title for you, OP.

> 2533274792075066;1:
> I know this might be an unpopular opinion piece especially for those who grew up mostly playing Halo or COD games . But it is still accurate … regardless
>
> A long time ago , back when i use to play with a controler on Old school Xbox , x360 , ps1 , ps2 ps3 era i came to the realisation that Halo aim assist and COD4 aim assist mainly as created the foundation for entire Generation of peoples to get addicted to the Aim assist they built into their games … I could compare it to cigarette addiction .For the cigarette addict to feel normal he need to smoke even if he could stop smoking feel the effect for a while then realise he do not need cigarette to feel normal . For the aim assist addiction its the same . For them to feel a game is " normal " they need aim assist otherwise they think the game is missing something .
>
> There was plenty of franchises who didnt had remotly any level of aim assist or very little compared to what COD and HALO had offered to their players in order to make a quick buck or to get away to poor optimization and low frame rates of their games . Most of those addicted to aim assist didnt wanted to play those games ( without strong aim assistance ) because their first experiences was with aim assist , they got instant gratification from it , instead of being at the level they should be at and then improove from there .
>
> Uber strong aim assist as been detrimental to competitive play in shooter games … What make shooters shooters a shooter game is Reflex /Accuracy /Speed controle mixed with moovement and the way to can adapt your aiming positioning etc… with the said moovement , aim assist screw up those equation making the macro/micro ajustement for you " sticky aim " and bullet bending being the #1 culprit of it all . Aim assist make Headshot mastering irrevelant etc. Why would you train to shoot straight in the head when you can simply shoot 2feet up diagonal left or right over the head and get a headshot ? Yes some player will be better than others both having aim assist but still its not the point i am making .
>
> There as never ever been a requirement for Aim assist ever . I was playing on a controler at very high skill ceiling level without aim assist in most games i played where i could either disable it or where it was unexistant . Treyarch COD were allowing us to disable aim assist even if overall it put us at disavantage and i played like that and i was pretty good wich show that with decent quality controlers ( not broken powdery one ) you could be pretty accurate . I tried everything from control freak and all that … but at the end of the day the quality of the thumbstick will change a lot the capacity to make diagonal mooves accurate so elite controler have it way better than standard one .
>
> Thats said . this dependancy to Aim assist as become way to ridiculous now … Peoples wanting instant gratification pretending AIm assistance is a necessity rather than a quality of life improovement for low level skill players . They ask for Aimbots like aim assist as if its a requirement instead of trying to improove themselves and their own aiming skills or even switch to MKB they prefer asking devs to increase aim assistance instead of reducing it to have REAL better players to come on top … The excuses of MKB vs Controlers always come up but the reality is Halo has been Controlers vs Controlers for decades and yet they have still requested more and more aim assist all these years in Destiny games and in Halo games . So we will leave it at that .
>
> Also This aint a conversation of MKB vs Controler … Even if i was playing with a controler i would want NO aim assist competitive game in Halo and many controlers players have ask for this or at least for aim assist to be tone down a lots .
>
> MKB and Controler will be separated in Halo infinite so its not the issue here … the issue is the addiction and the wound Aim assist as created in peoples mind and how detrimental it is to peoples mind . When i suck at a game i persist i learn the mechanics the recoils how to handle it i ajust my sensitivity to my liking i practice my aiming and i find rewarding to get better … But when you basically get a hitbox of 7feet by 6 feet because of bullet bending and when you have a sticky aim that track target for you there is little to no reason to be proud of anything even if you can be better than others with the same aim assist …
>
> Aim assist isnt necessary and of course it would take longer to some individuals to get use to certain game but then peoples would end up realising it after practicing without it and by being forced to do so in a game where everything counts , moovement , aiming , map awareness , map control and so on …
>
> It make me laugh when peoples use excuses like shooters are not just about aiming but also about moovement … When moovement actually boost up the aim assist like COD warzone its not about moovement and tactical placement etc… moovement trigger greater and better aim assist than standing still … A game like quake or unreal or counter strike competitive on PC is Competitive to a real sens and everything is included from Aiming to moovement and all the rest … Its not a good excuse to be excluding aiming as an important factor in a shooter game like what ?
>
> * Also in some game moovement are exploited to use the flaws of videogames like peaker advantage , bad hit reg when spaming AD and so on this isnt much a skill as it is an exploits of flaw netcode and engine or animations system .
>
> I just hope peoples will get to that realisation , i hope game devs will stop trying to give peoples the aim assist coolaids for a quick buck encouraging instant gratification …Real skills come with time and dedication . Aiming skills should come first in a shooter game and moovement is a part of the shooting skills range not separated from it …
>
> Everyones are able to aim very well on MKB or Controlers if they practice themselves and Game devs shouldnt implement aimbots called aim assist to level the playing field unless its to temporarely help very new players and it is clear it will be taken away …
>
> Anyway this was my 2 cents into the world of aim assist wich for me was and is detrimental to peoples self estime , to shooter genre as a whole . Promoting instant gratification isnt a good thing .

i stopped reading at the cigarette part. you sound like a huge “git gud” -Yoink!-

We don’t need a thousandth thread on aim assist.