Aim Assist Changes

I read in the feedback blog from the beta that aim assist is being increased? Was there some confusion with the team about what players were criticizing about the aiming? I and many others expressed concern about free aiming with the stick/mouse. I don’t think it was directed at aim assists values at all.

It’s just odd this was the takeaway here…

1 Like

I’ve heard complaints that the aim assist is very, very low–borderline useless. Some have even claimed it was nonexistent.

3 Likes

I used a controller it was very existent, however aiming at someone outside the aim assist range was beyond difficult

3 Likes

The aim assist they are referring to is not just Controller, it is the in game mechanic that is going to give you a zone of leniency for your shots. Imagine a circle on your screen, so long as shoot within that tiny circle your shots will hit and register, this is not the same is aim tracking and input aim assist. This is server side thing. The context adds to this further.

I think you are talking about bullet magnetism?

2 Likes

No. I am not.
" As a result of this closer look, we’ve made minor changes to the “cone angle” of aim assist on select weapons for launch. To be clear, this is not a change of the “strength/stickiness” of the aim assist, but it should help make aiming feel more natural. A full list of these changes can be seen below:

• Pulse Carbine: 4 to 6 degrees
  • VK78 Commando: 5 to 5.5 degrees
  • BR75: 5 to 5.75 degrees
  • Heatwave: 5 to 6.25 degrees
  • Ravager: 6 to 6.75
  • Mk50 Sidekick: 5 to 6.25 degrees
  • Skewer: 4.2 to 5.6 degrees
  • S7 Sniper: 3 to 4 degrees
  • Shock Rifle: Turned on hip magnetism

We will be watching this closely, but we hope these changes, along with the performance optimizations, help improve how aiming feels when you go hands on later this year."

Oh I believe that means they increased the area around your reticle for which aim assist activates.

For example 4 degrees might be an area about twice the size of the normal pulse rifle reticle, but now it’s 6 degrees instead (3 times), so it will start aim assisting you when a target is within that that area of your screen.

Edit: This has to do with aiming at a target, not when shooting at a target (which involves bullet magnetism)

3 Likes

We also know that when the game is not fully optimized, which is the case in our tech preview builds, aiming does not “feel” as good as it would at launch.

I sure hope this is true because the aiming on console controller was outright terrible. Halo used to be the gold standard and MCC still feels great, and now Infinite is a big step backward.

There was a strong focus on raising the skill ceiling without removing the fun, natural aiming feel that you expect from a Halo game.

As a result of this closer look, we’ve made minor changes to the “cone angle” of aim assist on select weapons for launch.

I’m glad they are doing something, but this concerns me. The default controller settings were terrible and I know many people were upset about how slow you could turn even on max settings. They definitely removed the fun. I understand wanting to raise the skill ceiling, but I’d argue they are making Halo Infinite too inaccessible where a new, unskilled player will not enjoy the game at all. At a minimum, 343 needs to make the default settings as close to Halo MCC as possible, even if aiming is tuned to be a bit more difficult. Aiming needs to FEEL like Halo always has - this is a spiritual reboot.

1 Like

Yes i see it the same way. Don’t get me wrong, i don’t want the game gets too casual, but a certain accessebility is really important for a F2P shooter to succeed.

If nothing will change about the aiming, i think a lot of players don’t have any delight to play the game.

3 Likes

Yeah, really disappointing to see them interpret poor aiming mechanics as “we need higher aim assists!” Now, we can have a discussion about the poor weapon balancing as it relates to ease of use, but that’s a different discussion. Players were frustrated that the simple act of aiming, with or without the influence of aim assist, felt inconsistent and slippery, not that aim assist was too low.

3 Likes

I’m not suggesting that Halo Infinite needs to be like other FPS games in the market, but I cannot think of a single other FPS game where the aiming is so difficult - COD, Battlefield, Wolfenstein, Doom, Overwatch… none of these games feel like you’re fighting the controls to aim.

I suspect 343 is really trying to please both pro players and PC players by trying to make the game more challenging as well as balanced between controller and Mouse & Keyboard. These are admirable goals, but if the controller experience is diminished at all for the general population of Halo players, I believe that is a failure on 343’s part. They need to ensure playing on controller feels great for casual players before they worry about those other goals.

3 Likes

I’m absolutely with you. I really hope 343i see those posts we made, it’s really important not only for me and you but for the big majority of the fanbase and the franchise itself.

This fact bother me the most. In the old waypoint forum, an user posted a simular sentence: “i’m fighting more against the crosshair instead of the enemy”

Like you said, nice the set the difficult goal to balance MnK and controller but it doesn’t feel good to play with the contoller. Let’s see what the next steps are from 343i

2 Likes

Oh I believe that means they increased the area around your reticle for which aim assist activates.

For example 4 degrees might be an area about twice the size of the normal pulse rifle reticle, but now it’s 6 degrees instead (3 times), so it will start aim assisting you when a target is within that that area of your screen.

Edit: This has to do with aiming at a target, not when shooting at a target (which involves bullet magnetism)

Yes, I believe you are correct. I’m certain that this will help a bit, but I think the reality is that trying to aim even remotely near a moving target (to get the reticle into the aim assist cone) is far too difficult and just doesn’t feel natural like prior Halo games (or other FPS games). I think more drastic changes are needed that aren’t related to aim assist and bullet magnetism.

2 Likes

You’re 100% correct, it’s how close to the target it registers. This along with performance fixes will have the aiming feeling much different than the beta.

1 Like

I’m surprised there aren’t more people talking about this issue. I guess it’s because most people on these forums are console players, because this seems likebthe nail in the coffin for MnK players wanting to compete against console.

The BR AA is already plenty strong, and they’re making it stronger. I can understand tuning up some of the other weapons, but the BR did not need a buff.

It really seems to me 343 don’t actually want the MnK scene to be a thing, they just wanna take their money real quick before the realise they’ve been duped. HCS will literally just be filled with the same old faces we’ve seen this past decade.

I’m confused, why do MnK players need to compete with controller players? 343 already said for competitive ranked playlists, there would be separate playlists for controller and MnK.

It seems to me that making the game both a great experience for each input method and balancing it across the input methods is a lost cause. You feel like controllers have an unfair advantage for cross-play and I feel like the controller experience sucks compared to prior Halo games. I feel like it’s unfair to controller players that they have an inferior experience in order to try to make the game more balanced with MnK players - and I’m not talking about MnK having an advantage, I’m just talking about how it feels to play with a controller.

I think it’s great that 343 is enabling cross-play so that friends can casually play across input methods, but if you’re wanting a level competitive playing field you need to forget about playing against controller players.

Because less than 1% of the population actually plays on both inputs and have legitimate input outside of “the grass is greener.” This is the sad truth.

Both inputs should feel good. Both should be viable. It should come down to preference. Both are closer than they ever have been in the series and it’s going to be in a good place.

It seems as if they have botched up and come to this “cone angle fixing” in a desperate hurry… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :roll_eyes:
I’m not sure it’s the correct solution, but we’ll see, it will surely help :thinking:

I still don’t know what people were complaining about with the aiming. It felt weird at first for me but then I just fiddled with the settings until it felt good. Did no one go in their settings?

1 Like

The aim on the controller was inconsistent, the AA was very weak, sometimes it seemed to snap even at the slightest touch (I am aware of the various RRR ranges…), only after several adjustments on the dead zones and loooong practice could you get decent results, and you had to waste loooong time even to find the right mix of accel and sens…
If you put yourself in the shoes of a new player, you could label the game as simply flawed and unpleasant… resulting in the loss of the playerbase.
It always comes to my mind how splitgate (which I consider to be a very cheap halo) had a totally better impression in terms of aim, and right from the first few games, and I didn’t have to waste all that time adjusting the settings to get a decent performance

2 Likes