AI in forge!

I think that they should let you spawn AI in forge. Then when you open up the level you made it will be like making your own campaign that you can share with all your friends! Wouldn’t that be cool?

Hell yeah!!!

Or offline multiplayer like the one Gears Of War have!

AI will never happen on any Forged maps because nobody can program AI to respond to dynamically changing environments.

Gears has Bots because the map geometry is not editable in any way, shape or form. They are also much more flat and square than Halo maps.

And the bots aren’t even good. They are dam stupid.

Time Splitters Future Perfect had a awesome feature in there map editor where you can put objectives on maps you make and add enemy AI so something like this is not impossible and would be a welcomed feature to the game.

Not gonna happen bro. Way to unrealistic of a feature for Halo games considering Forge and how the AI wouldn’t be able to react to the enviorment.

We’d need a few things

Triggers-these are points that once a player passes them, something happens(very much like the exploding invasion bridges and such) These would look similar to a KotH in forge but are invisible in game.

Waypoints-these mark points for an AI to follow. With points set to point 1 and point 2, the enemies would follow the path between them. A start, continue, and end command would work for keeping the flow under control. Setting the next waypoint from each waypoint would be very helpful in case 1 waypoint is used for different groups of AI. These could be anything but I personally see string with arrows directing flow and different colors for different squads.

Strongholds-these are giant hills/spawn zones where an enemy has to hold. Waypoints may be placed in a strong hold on a basis of whether or not a trigger is flipped.

Squads-if we are able to set a AI to a squad, it can then follow the commands it’s squad is given by the 3 above things

This will only work if the AI are given an overall wireframe of the map. This shouldn’t be a problem because reach forge’s textures obviously use a wireframe because of all the changing textures. The only other things needed are algorithms for what can be jumped over and what can be used as cover. I’m assuming this is already done because programming every wall that a brute can hide behind would be asinine and forge units should be good enough information for both to be determined.

This is getting into some programming concepts but nothing much more difficult than setting up invasion. If you can do this 343i, it would be as revolutionary as forge and theater. This can happen for H4 or any new halos but not for any anniversary games though.

> Time Splitters Future Perfect had a awesome feature in there map editor where you can put objectives on maps you make and add enemy AI so something like this is not impossible and would be a welcomed feature to the game.

I’ve always wanted to use this argument in threads, saying “TS has bots and a map editor!”
But the thing is, if you pay close attention, those bots are extremely robotic, and only move in a straight line, and, it looks incredibly choppy when 2 or more are in the same hall running, which is why I wouldn’t think this would work.

I agree AI need to be added in addition to custom campaign editing because that opens up pelican flying and really nice campaign missions. Although it might take a little effort as said above it only would require little effort and not effect the overall gameplay because of the gameplay elements already present for invasion it can use those in combination with pathfinding algortihms and still have reliable gameplay. If we have modifiers for the AI we can make them take two different paths or jump up and go beserk with grenades (imagine an elite general running at you like a grunt with stickies except harder to kill). If you have modifiers you can have the AI do whatever. An game engine lets game developers make life easier and program AI and game elements easier. Besides with the standard in games moving to xml format and databases for faster gameplay stats and other access this would make editing game attributes easier. But does need to be done in halo 4 but in anniversary only if they can fit it in now or if they can also release a custom campaign editor as a seperate add-on that would relieve pressure for fitting it onto the disc.

> I agree AI need to be added in addition to custom campaign editing because that opens up pelican flying and really nice campaign missions. Although it might take a little effort as said above it only would require little effort and not effect the overall gameplay because of the gameplay elements already present for invasion it can use those in combination with pathfinding algortihms and still have reliable gameplay. If we have modifiers for the AI we can make them take two different paths or jump up and go beserk with grenades (imagine an elite general running at you like a grunt with stickies except harder to kill). If you have modifiers you can have the AI do whatever. An game engine lets game developers make life easier and program AI and game elements easier. Besides with the standard in games moving to xml format and databases for faster gameplay stats and other access this would make editing game attributes easier. But does need to be done in halo 4 but in anniversary only if they can fit it in now or if they can also release a custom campaign editor as a seperate add-on that would relieve pressure for fitting it onto the disc.

yes i would like the ability to add MP bots, for custom games and offline play, but please no campaign editing or editing of firefight maps. if you want to make a map with bots for your customgames and you make the map like a firefight map then by all means do so, but actual firefight maps should all be unique and as close to perfect as possible which with the limited controls we could expect for MP bots being added to forge would not be possible.

just theory
idea of AI/bots, for both forge bots and firefight AI, i would like more customization, i dont just want to say in this firefight gametype i fight elites, or more specificly elite spec-ops, i want to be able to choose what weapons the AI spawn with… this squad elite spec ops - options; its a 5 AI squad and i can choose 5 weapons, i choose to give all 5 spec-ops elites in this squad plasma rifles. and camo as an ability. instead of just saying i want spec-ops elites and getting what im given. And yes i know the covenant arent in halo4 i was just using elites as an example so people could better understand my idea.

the same can be done for bots on custom maps choose what weapons they spawn with, and like in game options where you have base player traits, your bots can also have base bot traits so you can set them to have weapon pick-up enabled/disabled for example and wether or not your AI for that squad will preference long/short range combat and power/standard weapons.
if they preference power weapons they will go for them like a normal player would, and if they preference long range combat they will go for the sniper, but ignore the shotgun, and make sure unlike campaign and FF AI that these have the same ammo capacity as players, or they will get a sniper and never run out, or the rockets… unless you want them to have unlimited ammo then you can set that in the squads options along with how many are in the squad, upto 3 AI per squad perhaps and a max of 12 AI in the game. giving you 12 one man Bot squads or 4 3man Bot squads, or somewhere inbetween. and also set which team the squad is on.
just a theory