AI bases in a future update?

This was a topic of discussion in July 2017, but it didn’t look like there was any feedback.

Occupying the empty base slots with AI presence can add a new dimension to the game. These AI’s can be in the form of sentinels with some sort of forerunner base that must be destroyed before claiming an expansion.

This would clearly push players to get some early game units out to combat the AI’s before getting an expansion. This shouldn’t harm the gameplay in any way. You just gotta put some muscle into expanding and getting an advantage over your opponent.

This was something in Wars 1 that I don’t think would fit well in 2. The expos in Wars 1 were more out of the way, meaning that most of the time the AI bases weren’t obstructing anything. But just imagine Rift, where in order to move out of the front of your base you would have to walk through an AI base with hostile computer controlled units.

On top of that, fast expanding is already not a viable strat, though with the Fortifications buffs Trox might be able to again. Having to clear out an AI base would make that problem worse.

> 2533274830489835;2:
> This was something in Wars 1 that I don’t think would fit well in 2. The expos in Wars 1 were more out of the way, meaning that most of the time the AI bases weren’t obstructing anything. But just imagine Rift, where in order to move out of the front of your base you would have to walk through an AI base with hostile computer controlled units.
>
> On top of that, fast expanding is already not a viable strat, though with the Fortifications buffs Trox might be able to again. Having to clear out an AI base would make that problem worse.

If AI bases were added, I would prefer that the sentinels would be docile until provoked just like the sentinels protecting power nodes. That way, the AI bases would not obstruct movement like you are saying. This would mean that your troops can walk right past the AI base without attacking unless you tell them to do so. Would this design for the AI bases change your mind?

Personally I don’t think AI based on expos is reauireq, but I’d like them on minibases.

> 2533274888721102;3:
> > 2533274830489835;2:
> >
>
> If AI bases were added, I would prefer that the sentinels would be docile until provoked just like the sentinels protecting power nodes. That way, the AI bases would not obstruct movement like you are saying. This would mean that your troops can walk right past the AI base without attacking unless you tell them to do so. Would this design for the AI bases change your mind?

No, as I said, fast expanding is already not a viable strategy. Having to clear out AI bases would hamper your ability to do so even more.

Yea mini base sounds good, I started playing HW1 recently to see what it’s all about, while they are interesting having those bases, I agree that maps like rift and sentry would just be annoying, mini base sounds ok although 1 or 2 are quite close to main bases, i guess the Neutral unit mod would also work but iff it is all main base slots, and they ain’t easy to clear it could change things like early expos.

Do you think gameplay would be completely different post rush ?

I agree with Cars about this when it comes to expos. Taking an early expo is a bad call in almost every situation, so I don’t think this would help.

However, I would looooove to see this on mini bases. Mini base stealing is annoying and forces the player to open with two supply pads. This is even worse on maps like Ashes, Rift, and Bedrock. If their were AI controlled mini bases over these slots it would make mini base stealing much, much more difficult. Moreover, in team games it would remove that awkward mad-dash for the middle mind bases on maps like Frontier, Mirage, and Fissures.

I would absolutely love to see this be implemented onto mini base slots. It could be as simple as a few Aggressor Sentinels guarding, or perhaps some of the new flood forms. Would be pretty cool looking, too.

> 2533274869891714;7:
> I agree with Cars about this when it comes to expos. Taking an early expo is a bad call in almost every situation, so I don’t think this would help.
>
> However, I would looooove to see this on mini bases. Mini base stealing is annoying and forces the player to open with two supply pads. This is even worse on maps like Ashes, Rift, and Bedrock. If their were AI controlled mini bases over these slots it would make mini base stealing much, much more difficult. Moreover, in team games it would remove that awkward mad-dash for the middle mind bases on maps like Frontier, Mirage, and Fissures.
>
> I would absolutely love to see this be implemented onto mini base slots. It could be as simple as a few Aggressor Sentinels guarding, or perhaps some of the new flood forms. Would be pretty cool looking, too.

I would love Flood forms protecting it and having a structure over the slot. Nothing too hard to kill, but something that will take some time.

> 2533274869891714;7:
> However, I would looooove to see this on mini bases. Mini base stealing is annoying and forces the player to open with two supply pads. This is even worse on maps like Ashes, Rift, and Bedrock. If their were AI controlled mini bases over these slots it would make mini base stealing much, much more difficult. Moreover, in team games it would remove that awkward mad-dash for the middle mind bases on maps like Frontier, Mirage, and Fissures.

I can agree with that. Making it take some effort to get mini bases could be interesting.