After plying Reach I "understand" the 343 "haters"

First and foremost I have to say how excited I am for the Memories of Reach update. I will be wearing the hell out of Emile’s armor! I also can’t wait for Infection!!!

After playing Reach, I finally understand the 343 “haters”. I’m putting haters in parentheses because some people just criticize 343 constructively, not violently and graphically (sadly some do though). Currently, I’m playing Reach on heroic difficulty, and I must say, it’s a challenge. While keeping in mind that I’m not fully familiar with the mechanics and controls of the game, this game is astronomically more difficult than Halo 5. Heroic on Reach is as equivalent or even harder than legendary on Halo 5. In Reach, every opponent (even the jackals and grunts) put up a serious threat, and continually challenge you. The Elites are so damn elusive! It’s like trying to hit a fly with a nail gun haha. Also there are different rankings of elites and brutes, which makes the games that much difficult and exciting. Whether it be more armor and/or a more powerful gun, the higher ranking brutes and elites challenge the player strategically. In Halo 5, you are easily the alpha male in the universe. In Reach and in the other halo games, you are just doing anything you can to survive. I realize Reach is a depressing and ominous game, but I remember feeling that same hopelessness in Halos 1-3 as well. Master Chief was the ONLY answer, not an answer.

I haven’t played Reach’s MP, but I took a quick glance at all of the playlists available to the player. The first word that comes to my mind is “WOW”. I mean did we actually have that many options?? Just insane if you ask me. No wonder there is a huge expectation for Halo games.

The reason Halo was an economic success in the beginning was because it was essentially a monopoly for FPS games. Sure there were other FPS games, but none with the MP and lovable campaign of Halo, until 2007. While Halo 3 was a huge success, 2007 marked the downfall of Halo from the peak of the FPS games. COD 4: MW came out, and it took everybody by storm. It didn’t revolutionize the FPS genre in the way Halo did, but it changed how a person related to FPS games. Before 2007, the COD series spent most of its time in the WWII setting. A lot of people enjoyed this (I did), but it was outdated to the majority of the people who played video games. MW allowed players to shoot guns and explosives that are utilized in modern times. Video game players could relate to this. They grew a passion for learning about the guns used in the game, and even wanted to buy these guns. MW had unbelievable graphics and realism for its time. The campaign was so intriguing. MW is one of the best video games ever, and this is coming from a die hard Halo fan. The MP was great because it allowed customization. You could be a sniper, a marksman, or an assault person. You didn’t have to start with the same weapons as everyone else did like Halo, and I personally feel like this was a major strength of this game. One of my friend’s said it best “most people would rather play a human solider in modern times, than a super solider in 2552”. I understand this because most people rather kill players with a AR or a P90 than a needler or storm rifle. Sadly it all comes back to how the player can relate to the game. Many people started to choose COD over Halo since 2007 just for “realism”. The Halo franchise has been at a disadvantage since.

With all that said, I love Halo 5. IMHO, this game has the best Halo MP. It’s not as extensive as other Halos’ MPs, but it is very addictive and well put together. I say this because I absolutely love Warzone. It combines the strategic discipline and difficulty of Halo with the customization of COD. Don’t get me wrong, I love Arena, but I love being able to use the BR or any other weapon without having to run across the entire map to get it. That might make me a " Halo noob" but hey I’m being honest. I don’t like the AR and I’m alright with the magnum (getting better with it), but I rather use the BR. I really don’t play video games, so when a video game traps me as much as Halo 5 did, then I pay attention. I absolutely love the mechanics of Halo 5: the truster, clamber, and being able to stabilize in the air when you aim. You finally feel like a super solider. However, these features, along with 60 fps, make the game more competitive, since it is at a faster pace than previous Halo games. Personally, that is fine with me, since the mechanics allow me to get more engaged in the game.

I have to agree with some of the “haters” about Halo 5’s lack of content. While I know you’re not entitled to anything, I feel like BTB and Forge should have definitely been on Halo 5 at launch. I’m okay (but not necessarily agree with) with Infection, Firefight, and the “ball” games not being on Halo 5 at launch because only a small portion of players play these subset playlists compared to regular Arena (slayer, FFA, and etc). The game types that 343 are adding to Halo 5 will make a great game into a legendary game, and I’m very excited to see the finished product. I recommend to 343 to make sure that Halo 6 has the same variety as Halo 5 (after all of the DLC updates) at launch, even if it takes more time. Screw competition and time constraints, just make a great and extensive game, and I promise it will be hugely successful. Also make Halo 6’s campaign seem hopeless to the players and increase the difficulty similar to previous Halo games. I kinda felt that hopelessness at the ending of Halo 5, when I thought “how are we going to stop Cortana”? In addition, try to create an emotional connection with the player and the characters in Halo 6. In Halo Reach, I felt deeply connected with all of the characters and all of their complex personalities. In Halo 5, other than Locke, Buck, and Chief, the other characters just felt like stock characters who were their to give “support”. I actually did enjoy the Halo 5 campaign, but I felt like these issues were the reasons why many people criticize it, and even say it’s the “worst halo campaign ever”. By no means is it a bad game.

Before I go, I just wanted to say Thank You to 343 for listening to the community and adding in more game types. Also thanks for giving us a Firefight Beta so we can test out the game type and give y’all feedback. I’m sure the finished Firefight product will be amazing.

I have a hunch there will be a bunch of Emile clones… great.

> 2535409103705542;2:
> I have a hunch there will be a bunch of Emile clones… great.

And people wonder why MC’s modified Mark VI isn’t available in War Games. Or why true Black hasn’t been a color since CE.

Holy Hemingway…

Cliff Notes

> 2533274873873545;4:
> Holy Hemingway…
>
> Cliff Notes

I come to these threads for the inevitable “lol y u rite so many werds? tl;dr” posts.

> 2533274890584596;5:
> > 2533274873873545;4:
> > Holy Hemingway…
> >
> > Cliff Notes
>
>
> I come to these threads for the inevitable “lol y u rite so many werds? tl;dr” posts.

Well considering most people lose attention after about a 5 to 6 sentences on average he/she probably lost 90% of readers whether the point is valid or salty.

Damn you wrote an entire essay on halo waypoint

> 2533274996627692;7:
> Damn you wrote an entire essay on halo waypoint

I’ve seen posts much longer on Waypoint. And at least he broke up his text, that really gets to me. A TL;DR is a nice touch OP in the future.

surprisingly not too many people going tl;dr

> 2533274811192667;9:
> surprisingly not too many people going tl;dr

Literacy is really popular right now.

I just wanted to say in response to your first part about Reach’s difficulty, that was probably the second/third hardest Halo to beat on solo Legendary (Halo 2 being number 1 cause I used the scarab skull and couldn’t be bothered with supertacticool enemies and -Yoink- allies, Halo 5 being tied with Reach, and the others were “easy”). I mean, the game is so hard that at one point in the game, the marines called truce with the covenant, and I was left to take out squad of brutes. -Yoinking!- cowards.

In a simpler way to say it, having crappy’er shields compared to past installments makes the game unrealistically difficult.

> 2533274883669557;10:
> > 2533274811192667;9:
> > surprisingly not too many people going tl;dr
>
>
> Literacy is really popular right now.

As it should be.

> 2535409103705542;2:
> I have a hunch there will be a bunch of Emile clones… great.

Emile was a f***boy. Jun all the way.

> 2533274860824195;1:
> First and foremost I have to say how excited I am for the Memories of Reach update. I will be wearing the hell out of Emile’s armor! I also can’t wait for Infection!!!
>
> After playing Reach, I finally understand the 343 “haters”. I’m putting haters in parentheses because some people just criticize 343 constructively, not violently and graphically (sadly some do though). Currently, I’m playing Reach on heroic difficulty, and I must say, it’s a challenge. While keeping in mind that I’m not fully familiar with the mechanics and controls of the game, this game is astronomically more difficult than Halo 5. Heroic on Reach is as equivalent or even harder than legendary on Halo 5. In Reach, every opponent (even the jackals and grunts) put up a serious threat, and continually challenge you. The Elites are so damn elusive! It’s like trying to hit a fly with a nail gun haha. Also there are different rankings of elites and brutes, which makes the games that much difficult and exciting. Whether it be more armor and/or a more powerful gun, the higher ranking brutes and elites challenge the player strategically. In Halo 5, you are easily the alpha male in the universe. In Reach and in the other halo games, you are just doing anything you can to survive. I realize Reach is a depressing and ominous game, but I remember feeling that same hopelessness in Halos 1-3 as well. Master Chief was the ONLY answer, not an answer.
>
> I haven’t played Reach’s MP, but I took a quick glance at all of the playlists available to the player. The first word that comes to my mind is “WOW”. I mean did we actually have that many options?? Just insane if you ask me. No wonder there is a huge expectation for Halo games.
>
> The reason Halo was an economic success in the beginning was because it was essentially a monopoly for FPS games. Sure there were other FPS games, but none with the MP and lovable campaign of Halo, until 2007. While Halo 3 was a huge success, 2007 marked the downfall of Halo from the peak of the FPS games. COD 4: MW came out, and it took everybody by storm. It didn’t revolutionize the FPS genre in the way Halo did, but it changed how a person related to FPS games. Before 2007, the COD series spent most of its time in the WWII setting. A lot of people enjoyed this (I did), but it was outdated to the majority of the people who played video games. MW allowed players to shoot guns and explosives that are utilized in modern times. Video game players could relate to this. They grew a passion for learning about the guns used in the game, and even wanted to buy these guns. MW had unbelievable graphics and realism for its time. The campaign was so intriguing. MW is one of the best video games ever, and this is coming from a die hard Halo fan. The MP was great because it allowed customization. You could be a sniper, a marksman, or an assault person. You didn’t have to start with the same weapons as everyone else did like Halo, and I personally feel like this was a major strength of this game. One of my friend’s said it best “most people would rather play a human solider in modern times, than a super solider in 2552”. I understand this because most people rather kill players with a AR or a P90 than a needler or storm rifle. Sadly it all comes back to how the player can relate to the game. Many people started to choose COD over Halo since 2007 just for “realism”. The Halo franchise has been at a disadvantage since.
>
> With all that said, I love Halo 5. IMHO, this game has the best Halo MP. It’s not as extensive as other Halos’ MPs, but it is very addictive and well put together. I say this because I absolutely love Warzone. It combines the strategic discipline and difficulty of Halo with the customization of COD. Don’t get me wrong, I love Arena, but I love being able to use the BR or any other weapon without having to run across the entire map to get it. That might make me a " Halo noob" but hey I’m being honest. I don’t like the AR and I’m alright with the magnum (getting better with it), but I rather use the BR. I really don’t play video games, so when a video game traps me as much as Halo 5 did, then I pay attention. I absolutely love the mechanics of Halo 5: the truster, clamber, and being able to stabilize in the air when you aim. You finally feel like a super solider. However, these features, along with 60 fps, make the game more competitive, since it is at a faster pace than previous Halo games. Personally, that is fine with me, since the mechanics allow me to get more engaged in the game.
>
> I have to agree with some of the “haters” about Halo 5’s lack of content. While I know you’re not entitled to anything, I feel like BTB and Forge should have definitely been on Halo 5 at launch. I’m okay (but not necessarily agree with) with Infection, Firefight, and the “ball” games not being on Halo 5 at launch because only a small portion of players play these subset playlists compared to regular Arena (slayer, FFA, and etc). The game types that 343 are adding to Halo 5 will make a great game into a legendary game, and I’m very excited to see the finished product. I recommend to 343 to make sure that Halo 6 has the same variety as Halo 5 (after all of the DLC updates) at launch, even if it takes more time. Screw competition and time constraints, just make a great and extensive game, and I promise it will be hugely successful. Also make Halo 6’s campaign seem hopeless to the players and increase the difficulty similar to previous Halo games. I kinda felt that hopelessness at the ending of Halo 5, when I thought “how are we going to stop Cortana”? In addition, try to create an emotional connection with the player and the characters in Halo 6. In Halo Reach, I felt deeply connected with all of the characters and all of their complex personalities. In Halo 5, other than Locke, Buck, and Chief, the other characters just felt like stock characters who were their to give “support”. I actually did enjoy the Halo 5 campaign, but I felt like these issues were the reasons why many people criticize it, and even say it’s the “worst halo campaign ever”. By no means is it a bad game.
>
> Before I go, I just wanted to say Thank You to 343 for listening to the community and adding in more game types. Also thanks for giving us a Firefight Beta so we can test out the game type and give y’all feedback. I’m sure the finished Firefight product will be amazing.

They can be woken up from the dream world