After Halo 3, did any of you expect Halo 4?

I know Halo 4 is near release, but I wanted to know if any of you speculated about its existence prior to its announcement. Did any of you expect that a Halo 4 would some day be released? If so, when exactly was that? I initially did not expect that a Halo 4 would be released; Halo 3 was billed as the end of the trilogy, so that’s where I drew my conclusion from.

But after Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach were released, and 343i subsequently announced that they would be taking over the franchise, I began to ponder he possibility of a Halo 4. There was only so much pre-Halo 1 content that 343i could use to create their Halo games and Halo 3 was pretty open-ended, so I thought a series of sequels would soon be inevitable. I was right.

uhhhhh of course, especially after the legendary ending

Yes.

After I saw they decided not to kill Chief I knew there would come more.
Did I initially expect a 4th game? Not really. I expected Bungie/whoever to continue his story primarily through the books and focus on side stories for a few years.

So I was right on the last part. And after 343i was founded I knew for sure that we’d get a new Halo game involving Chief.

I felt it was inevitable that Halo 4 would be released as I doubt -Yoink!- Would leave such a popular franchise/ character alone.

No. I honestly thought Halo 3 was the last of the Halo games. Then ODST came, and then Reach… it was then I realised Microsoft wouldn’t leave such a cash-cow unmilked.

Was I expecting Halo 4 to be announced last year? No.

Was I expecting Microsoft to grab onto the utters of Halo and pull as much out of it as they could? Yes.

Yes. Bungie already said Halo 3 wasn’t the end of Halo story and Microsoft had specifically order to make an open ending -aka legendary ending- so they can continue the story forward, so a Halo 4 was more than hinted as it was an absolute.

ODST and Reach are merely gimmick did by Bungie to get free from Microsoft since the contract had a line about “make 5 games before you go free”.

Obviously.

As soon as I cleared the final mission I knew that the series wasn’t over.

Even in the normal ending, he says, “Wake me, when you need me.” I knew right there that humanity would need the chief at some point. Throw in the Legendary ending and you know for sure that there is more to come.

I figured they would have waited for next gen. consoles to revamp the series, but it looks like they had other plans.

Yes. After the sheer amount of plot points Halo 3 left hanging along with the introduction of plot points (such as Mendicant Bias sending John to the Forerunners), I’ve always seen halo 4 as an inevitability.

Yes because it was… inevitable.

Yes, i’ve been waiting for Halo 4 since the Legendary ending in Halo 3.

I mean, how could you NOT be expecting Halo 4 after that ending?

It never occurred to me since 1) H3 had closure 2) I expected a long wait for H4 like with H2 and H3 3) H3 was still exciting to me at the time 4) I wanted more H3.

Was I expecting Halo 4??? Hell yes

Was I expecting it to be announced in 2011? HELL NO!!

Yes, after the Legendary ending of Halo 3. It was kinda of obvious.

I dont think theyll ever stop making Halo while Cief, Cortana, and all the characters we currently know story may end, theres just to much material not only in the past but for the future as well.

> Yes. Bungie already said Halo 3 wasn’t the end of Halo story and Microsoft had specifically order to make an open ending -aka legendary ending- so they can continue the story forward, so a Halo 4 was more than hinted as it was an absolute.
>
> ODST and Reach are merely gimmick did by Bungie to get free from Microsoft since the contract had a line about “make 5 games before you go free”.

Yeah explains why Reach turned out so bad. I still don’t understand why Bungie was so eager to leave their baby behind.

Yes. Halo has made Microsoft and Bungie a lot of money. So Microsoft wanting to continue the series is a no brainer.

> > Yes. Bungie already said Halo 3 wasn’t the end of Halo story and Microsoft had specifically order to make an open ending -aka legendary ending- so they can continue the story forward, so a Halo 4 was more than hinted as it was an absolute.
> >
> > ODST and Reach are merely gimmick did by Bungie to get free from Microsoft since the contract had a line about “make 5 games before you go free”.
>
> Yeah explains why Reach turned out so bad. I still don’t understand why Bungie was so eager to leave their baby behind.

Halo fatigue IMO. They wanted to move on and do something else without the Microsoft overlords forcing them to shell out more Halo games. I am not exactly sure if Activision is an improvement but hey, stranger things have happened.

Still, the studio can now make whatever the hell they want instead of just Halo this and Halo that. Also i feel it posses an interesting question; can Bungie be successful without it’s old money maker? It would be a good challenge for them to prove to the gaming community that yes, they can.