AFK players are ruining Halo Reach

I don’t think I can remember a single game in the last few months that at least one player in FireFight has been AFK.

This needs to be sorted as it is ruining Halo Reach.

My solutions to the problem.

1. Remove the ‘Game Completion’ credits and increase the commendation credits to compensate
  2. Boot players from the game for inactivity
  3. Return players to main menu screen after a FireFight game
  4. Allow a voting boot system in-game to remove AFK players
  5. If a player has not killed xx amount of enemies, no credits are awarded

I am sick and tired of seeing Mythic, Noble and Forerunner ranks that have not achieved them. I play for a few hours each night and earn my rank while other players leave their console on all day earning 2,000+ credits each game.

Please can someone address this issue?

The ranking system in Halo 3 was much, much better than in Reach. You got Exp for winning a game. Afkers in MM will get no in EXP in Halo 3 if they lose but in Reach they get the same amount of credits than the others who really played.

> The ranking system in Halo 3 was much, much better than in Reach. You got Exp for winning a game. Afkers in MM will get no in EXP in Halo 3 if they lose but in Reach they get the same amount of credits than the others who really played.

And there was skill levels 1-50, much better then The Arena,

I think that the Arena should be done away with a the skill levels should return, Arena has about only 800 players in that gametype

> I think that the Arena should be done away with a the skill levels should return, Arena has about only 800 players in that gametype

Less than 800, yesterday it was about 200.
We can only hope 343i will save Reach

I can only comment on FF games since i don’t play any of the other MM games. Wouldn’t be nice if they tied games completion credits into a minimum number of kills. ie player must kill 40 enemies before a game can be considered complete. 40 kills at least requires a person to come out of their hole for a period of time and requires some effort to get. i consider myself a less than average player and getting 40 kills would take me half the game on average, except for those fistfight games, grrrr. 40 kills would probably only take good players five minutes to achieve but at least it would force them to participate, who knows they may even fight to the end :slight_smile:

I imagine that someone can probably sit down and figure out what the average # of kills per game is for all game types and determine a minimum kill requirement.

very true I play FF all the time but im glad for the dummy AFKs and quitters cause thats more kills for me. On a different note I played around 20 games of grifball 2 days ago and had approx 3 games where someone didn’t quit and even had one AFK… in grifball… really??? mst of the quitters were on opposite team but none the less not kool. I’d back a boot system for them as long as it had some type of “Player didn’t move” setting so people wouldn’t boot just anybody cause they didn’t like them. Automated boot seems like a good idea but it would be a pain to code.

My suggestion for clearing the game of idlers is that if you don’t choose a load out you don’t re/spawn and if you don’t choose a load out within 30 seconds you are booted from the match for being inactive.

Getting rid of AFK players would be removing one of the symptoms of the larger disease that plagues Halo Reach. All people care about is getting credits and the next shiny piece of armour or rank. Hardly anyone plays the game to have fun. Is boosting fun? No, its not, I’ve tried it. Is sitting around AFK fun? Doesn’t sound like it. What about custom games? Does anybody play those any more? “No, they don’t get you credits”. Well they were fun, too bad they’re obsolete now. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy Reach, its a great game in its own respect- but it is not a great Halo game. I still much prefer Halo 3 and its flaws over Reach, any day.

Also, I’ve been having a slightly different ‘problem’ with FF lately. People haven’t been idling so much as they’ve been quitting, or getting disconnected. Three times now I’ve started a game of FF Limited, and all three other players left/quit/disconnected before the second wave. Its not a bad thing really, each time I’ve been able to last the full 30 minutes by myself, and thus pot myself rather large sums of space bucks, but I do find it odd.

OK this is rediculous, just had 3 people go AFK in the past 2 Games

Is there no one who I can forward their GT’s to ? (dont wanna post on the forums, incase im not allowed)

If proof is needed I saved a clip of one Game in my fileshare

& here’s a link to the actual game from bungie.net

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=586726139&player=Pwnage%20x360a

They get banned quickly anyways.

Option 4 will be super abused and is what ruined l4d so i would rather have afkers than that.

That’s weird, I generally don’t run into these issues while playing. Sure there are the random quitters from time to time, but nothing that has dampened my experience at all.

I have to agree as I suffer from a lack of improvement on the killing side of things. My best is 14, and cant for the life of me get that killing blow. But believe me, I try…and try and try.

> I can only comment on FF games since i don’t play any of the other MM games. Wouldn’t be nice if they tied games completion credits into a minimum number of kills. ie player must kill 40 enemies before a game can be considered complete. 40 kills at least requires a person to come out of their hole for a period of time and requires some effort to get. i consider myself a less than average player and getting 40 kills would take me half the game on average, except for those fistfight games, grrrr. 40 kills would probably only take good players five minutes to achieve but at least it would force them to participate, who knows they may even fight to the end :slight_smile:
>
> I imagine that someone can probably sit down and figure out what the average # of kills per game is for all game types and determine a minimum kill requirement.

> That’s weird, I generally don’t run into these issues while playing. Sure there are the random quitters from time to time, but nothing that has dampened my experience at all.

Me either i have yet to encounter an afk player in firefight and im a Mythic close to being Noble. Also i dont think its as bad as you make it sound. just cause they dont play doesnt ruin the whole game.

> > That’s weird, I generally don’t run into these issues while playing. Sure there are the random quitters from time to time, but nothing that has dampened my experience at all.
>
> Me either i have yet to encounter an afk player in firefight and im a Mythic close to being Noble. Also i dont think its as bad as you make it sound. just cause they dont play doesnt ruin the whole game.

I run into a couple a day, mostly in grifball. The only way it really ruins the game is if your competitive and if you care about your k/d. The thing here is that some games your have the AFKer on your team and a couple games later their be on the opposing, so it flip-flops. I don’t run into many in general slayer game types as much but it does happen from time-to-time. I know though there are probably more AFKers in Firefight then any other game type.

In Holdout and Corvette in particular, it is quite easy to get brutes or elites to chase you and lead them right to where the AFK is sitting. The only problem is when you get to the last five and have to clear them out, but then you just get another set…

> > That’s weird, I generally don’t run into these issues while playing. Sure there are the random quitters from time to time, but nothing that has dampened my experience at all.
>
> Me either i have yet to encounter an afk player in firefight and im a Mythic close to being Noble. Also i dont think its as bad as you make it sound. just cause they dont play doesnt ruin the whole game.

When they don’t play the enemy gets free kills.

I agree with the OP that this issue really needs to be addressed. Firstly it’s wrong and gives players ranks they haven’t earned. Secondly it makes firefight that much harder when you’re playing a game mode designed for 4 players with 3 or less. I’d be really annoyed if I was a hardcore player of the ODST style firefight playlist.

Let’s remember people, that the Halo 3 ranking system was not perfect either. There was plenty of boosting for fifties, and lots of good playlists like Team SWAT were ruined.

Hopefully 343 sort this problem out when they take control of matchmaking.

> I agree with the OP that this issue really needs to be addressed. Firstly it’s wrong and gives players ranks they haven’t earned. Secondly it makes firefight that much harder when you’re playing a game mode designed for 4 players with 3 or less. I’d be really annoyed if I was a hardcore player of the ODST style firefight playlist.
>
> Let’s remember people, that the Halo 3 ranking system was not perfect either. There was plenty of boosting for fifties, and lots of good playlists like Team SWAT were ruined.
>
> Hopefully 343 sort this problem out when they take control of matchmaking.

While 1-50 had many flaws, it was much better than the Cr system.