Advocating Sprint

Sprint is going to be in H5. But why? That’s the question I’ve seen lots of people asking around here. So I want people to come up with pro-sprint arguments to counter the anti-sprint sentiment on the forums. Anyone that’s willing to have an open mind about the future of halo, take a while to think about the positives and negatives of sprint and construct a intelligent list of reasons it might enhance or take away from the game play experience. Without further a do here’s my points.

Sprint increases skill gap - Of course this is hypothetical, because I haven’t played H5 yet, but with the balancing implemented by 343, it should make motion around the map much more tactical and deliberate considering that you have to tap a button to kick your spartan into top gear. Unlike halo 4, there is a whole list of penalties for trying to sprint at the wrong moment. Escaping from firefights with sprint will cease to exist because it is impossible to sprint while being shot at. It takes one second to reach top speed with sprint and if you are shot within that time sprint deactivates.

It adds more depth to the game play - It gives players a more robust amount of options for combat including shoulder charge (which sounds like the new way to back wack), and Slide (think of how satisfying shotgun kills were in 2/3 then amplify it x10). It also increases risk/reward considering your very vulnerable while sprinting. This just adds a new layer of skill gap for people to take advantage of.

Of course there’s lots of disadvantages to sprint too depending on if it’s implemented correctly or not. Please give your thoughts below and any othe advantages to sprint you can think of. Long live Halo!

I like sprint.

Here’s the main problem with sprint: the maps expand. This has a couple of implications, as I will explain, the first of which being that when not using sprint it will take you a significantly larger amount of time to get somewhere, be it to a power weapon, a fight, or anything. Now people might say, “so what?”, but while sprinting you can’t attack. This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.
The other implication of expanded maps are the major changes in weapon balance. Because the maps are expanded and the weapons aren’t, automatics become almost obsolete as the BR and DMR are much more effective over the ranges more common (eg. longer ranges). Not only this, but shotguns and swords become almost useless as defensive weapons as the maps are so big, there’s few places they are effective. It also affects grenades in a couple of ways, the first of which is the throw range. From what we’ve seen, the throw range is pretty average of other Halo’s in Halo 5, meaning that, because the distances between everything are greater, you effectively have a fraction of the range simply due to greater distances. Also, the explosion radii of grenades is also a concern, as you can easily sprint away from them, though that is not necessarily a problem with map design, but rather sprint itself.

The next issue with this with sprint is that it destroys map control. It is very, very difficult to create any sense of controlling the map if your opponents can move anywhere in it very quickly. The insane amount of flanking gives attackers massive advantages, especially since the effectiveness of the sword and shotgun weapons are decreased when defending. Imagine having a setup on lockdown in BR tower, but all the sudden you have two guys pushing bottom mid through BR1 onto open ramp, and while your team is distracted the last two guys now have time to sprint have from cover at snipe 2 into library. Its too hard to create any sense of control when sprint lets flanking become so easy and thoughtless.

If you make it this far, thanks for reading that wall of text, haha

> 2533274840212973;3:
> Here’s the main problem with sprint: the maps expand. This has a couple of implications, as I will explain, the first of which being that when not using sprint it will take you a significantly larger amount of time to get somewhere, be it to a power weapon, a fight, or anything. Now people might say, “so what?”, but while sprinting you can’t attack. This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.
> The other implication of expanded maps are the major changes in weapon balance. Because the maps are expanded and the weapons aren’t, automatics become almost obsolete as the BR and DMR are much more effective over the ranges more common (eg. longer ranges). Not only this, but shotguns and swords become almost useless as defensive weapons as the maps are so big, there’s few places they are effective. It also affects grenades in a couple of ways, the first of which is the throw range. From what we’ve seen, the throw range is pretty average of other Halo’s in Halo 5, meaning that, because the distances between everything are greater, you effectively have a fraction of the range simply due to greater distances. Also, the explosion radii of grenades is also a concern, as you can easily sprint away from them, though that is not necessarily a problem with map design, but rather sprint itself.
>
> The next issue with this with sprint is that it destroys map control. It is very, very difficult to create any sense of controlling the map if your opponents can move anywhere in it very quickly. The insane amount of flanking gives attackers massive advantages, especially since the effectiveness of the sword and shotgun weapons are decreased when defending. Imagine having a setup on lockdown in BR tower, but all the sudden you have two guys pushing bottom mid through BR1 onto open ramp, and while your team is distracted the last two guys now have time to sprint have from cover at snipe 2 into library. Its too hard to create any sense of control when sprint lets flanking become so easy and thoughtless.
>
> If you make it this far, thanks for reading that wall of text, haha

Well, I disagree with you on several points.

You talk about how Sprint is actually penalizing to players because of the extra effort required to kill an enemy in that example you showed: “This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.”

The first thing is that there is no reason a player shouldn’t be penalized for taking a lot of tactical thought out of it and just sprinting towards a power weapon in the open. Basically all modern FPS games have sprint and if you go play COD, Battlefield, Titanfall, anything, you’ll be penalized for sprinting in an open area. It just makes sense. It’s a poor tactical decision.
You say that in the situation without sprint, you wouldn’t have to pull out your weapon and blah blah which would make it more balance. In my opinion, it wouldn’t make it that much more balance and it shouldn’t be balanced. A person walking or running towards a power weapon in the area and taking tactical thought out should be punished for that decision. Also, without sprint, I find that the aspect of “who fires first usually wins” is a lot more common.

A lot of anti-sprint reactionaries claim that Sprint takes away by escaping battles and making it harder to engage and kill an enemy. But most forget about the other abilties. With things like Clamber and Thruster Pack, we have already seen tactical moves taken in Halo 5 gameplay to counter running into cover.

You also talk about how map size increases and how that’s a bad thing, but I say that along with map size, cover increases. More fluid gameplay and movement with Sprint, Clamber, and Thruster Pack heavily increases the need for cover and it does seem as there is a lot of cover in halo 5 maps.

Also thee abilities benefit CQB weapons and automatics

All I can say is 343 is balancing Sprint to the extreme. Which actually makes me ask even more…Why? If it has to be nerfed so much why keep it?

Here’s what needs to happen:

Remove sprint

Map thrusters to LS

Make Charge and Slide button combos. CHarge=LS+Melee, Slide= LS+ Crouch. With a cool down time of course.

PEOPLE ARE USED TO CLICKING LEFT STICK AND SOMETHING HAPPENING. Thats just the truth.

Just put Thrusters on Left Stick and boost movement speed. Everything else I’m cool with even Smart Scope because Descope is back.

Sprint enables longer grenade throws.

> 2533274878211546;4:
> > 2533274840212973;3:
> > Here’s the main problem with sprint: the maps expand. This has a couple of implications, as I will explain, the first of which being that when not using sprint it will take you a significantly larger amount of time to get somewhere, be it to a power weapon, a fight, or anything. Now people might say, “so what?”, but while sprinting you can’t attack. This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.
> > The other implication of expanded maps are the major changes in weapon balance. Because the maps are expanded and the weapons aren’t, automatics become almost obsolete as the BR and DMR are much more effective over the ranges more common (eg. longer ranges). Not only this, but shotguns and swords become almost useless as defensive weapons as the maps are so big, there’s few places they are effective. It also affects grenades in a couple of ways, the first of which is the throw range. From what we’ve seen, the throw range is pretty average of other Halo’s in Halo 5, meaning that, because the distances between everything are greater, you effectively have a fraction of the range simply due to greater distances. Also, the explosion radii of grenades is also a concern, as you can easily sprint away from them, though that is not necessarily a problem with map design, but rather sprint itself.
> >
> > The next issue with this with sprint is that it destroys map control. It is very, very difficult to create any sense of controlling the map if your opponents can move anywhere in it very quickly. The insane amount of flanking gives attackers massive advantages, especially since the effectiveness of the sword and shotgun weapons are decreased when defending. Imagine having a setup on lockdown in BR tower, but all the sudden you have two guys pushing bottom mid through BR1 onto open ramp, and while your team is distracted the last two guys now have time to sprint have from cover at snipe 2 into library. Its too hard to create any sense of control when sprint lets flanking become so easy and thoughtless.
> >
> > If you make it this far, thanks for reading that wall of text, haha
>
>
> Well, I disagree with you on several points.
>
> You talk about how Sprint is actually penalizing to players because of the extra effort required to kill an enemy in that example you showed: “This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.”
>
> The first thing is that there is no reason a player shouldn’t be penalized for taking a lot of tactical thought out of it and just sprinting towards a power weapon in the open. Basically all modern FPS games have sprint and if you go play COD, Battlefield, Titanfall, anything, you’ll be penalized for sprinting in an open area. It just makes sense. It’s a poor tactical decision.
> You say that in the situation without sprint, you wouldn’t have to pull out your weapon and blah blah which would make it more balance. In my opinion, it wouldn’t make it that much more balance and it shouldn’t be balanced. A person walking or running towards a power weapon in the area and taking tactical thought out should be punished for that decision. Also, without sprint, I find that the aspect of “who fires first usually wins” is a lot more common.
>
> A lot of anti-sprint reactionaries claim that Sprint takes away by escaping battles and making it harder to engage and kill an enemy. But most forget about the other abilties. With things like Clamber and Thruster Pack, we have already seen tactical moves taken in Halo 5 gameplay to counter running into cover.
>
> You also talk about how map size increases and how that’s a bad thing, but I say that along with map size, cover increases. More fluid gameplay and movement with Sprint, Clamber, and Thruster Pack heavily increases the need for cover and it does seem as there is a lot of cover in halo 5 maps.
>
> Also thee abilities benefit CQB weapons and automatics

While I agree, the person attacking from an advantageous position should have an advantage, it should not be the sole determining factor of a fight as it is with a sprinting onto combat scenario (barring any chokes like missing a burst by jamming the control stick accidentally, accidentally pressing a button, or dropping the controller). I would imagine that it would be much easier to kill someone when they have 2 bursts fired on you as compared to when they have 3. That’s the problem, though, is that sprint rewards individual camping by letting those people get kills for almost free and discourages team play by letting teams have absurd flanking routes tthat otherwise wouldn’t work.

Addressing your point about cover increasing, most good maps WILL have that. But I’m not concerned about the best case scenario. I’m concerned about the worst case scenario. What about those terrible maps you still have to play on? You know, the ones with no cover and ridiculously long lines of sight? The ones where if you don’t have a BR/DMR then you lose? THOSE are the maps where people will go, “I hate using the AR/SMG/Plasma Rifle/etc., they are so underpowered and I just get destroyed once the other team gets a BR/DMR.” Either way, sprint, thruster, and clamber actually dont change the amount of cover. They only change the spacing between that cover. For example, on a 2:1 replica map where sprint is 2X base speed and base speed is identical, there will be 2X the ground to cover between any two given pieces of cover. Granted, that is an extremely simplified explanation, but its one that you should be able to underatand.

On your last point, you made no argument as to why this is, so I don’t know what to say. All I will say is this: CQB and close range automatic weapons are not as effective, especially on defense. This is pretty obvious, seeing as they had to basically extend the sword’s range through the Profit’s Bane.

> 2533274840212973;3:
> Here’s the main problem with sprint: the maps expand. This has a couple of implications, as I will explain, the first of which being that when not using sprint it will take you a significantly larger amount of time to get somewhere, be it to a power weapon, a fight, or anything. Now people might say, “so what?”, but while sprinting you can’t attack. This means that if you are trying to get to the power weapon ASAP and you get shot at by someone camping an area, you are at a severe disadvantage for just playing the game, as you not only have to stop sprinting and pull up your weapon but also locate where this enemy is. In that same senario without sprint you take away that .25s of pulling up a weapon (essentially another BR burst) and the encounter is a much more balanced one.
> The other implication of expanded maps are the major changes in weapon balance. Because the maps are expanded and the weapons aren’t, automatics become almost obsolete as the BR and DMR are much more effective over the ranges more common (eg. longer ranges). Not only this, but shotguns and swords become almost useless as defensive weapons as the maps are so big, there’s few places they are effective. It also affects grenades in a couple of ways, the first of which is the throw range. From what we’ve seen, the throw range is pretty average of other Halo’s in Halo 5, meaning that, because the distances between everything are greater, you effectively have a fraction of the range simply due to greater distances. Also, the explosion radii of grenades is also a concern, as you can easily sprint away from them, though that is not necessarily a problem with map design, but rather sprint itself.
>
> The next issue with this with sprint is that it destroys map control. It is very, very difficult to create any sense of controlling the map if your opponents can move anywhere in it very quickly. The insane amount of flanking gives attackers massive advantages, especially since the effectiveness of the sword and shotgun weapons are decreased when defending. Imagine having a setup on lockdown in BR tower, but all the sudden you have two guys pushing bottom mid through BR1 onto open ramp, and while your team is distracted the last two guys now have time to sprint have from cover at snipe 2 into library. Its too hard to create any sense of control when sprint lets flanking become so easy and thoughtless.
>
> If you make it this far, thanks for reading that wall of text, haha

Pretty much everything right here deserves to be preached.

> 2533274833164531;6:
> Sprint enables longer grenade throws.

This is honestly the exact same argument as “sprint makes encounters more frequent” or “sprint crosses the map faster”.

It depends on other factors besides just sprint. If we wanted longer grenade throws, there’s plenty of other ways to accomplish it. Such as, you guessed it, simply buffing throw range.

> 2533274819302824;9:
> > 2533274833164531;6:
> > Sprint enables longer grenade throws.
>
>
> This is honestly the exact same argument as “sprint makes encounters more frequent” or “sprint crosses the map faster”.
>
> It depends on other factors besides just sprint. If we wanted longer grenade throws, there’s plenty of other ways to accomplish it.

To be fair, it isn’t an argument at all, just a statement

IMO Sprint adds to the gameplay simply by being a mobility tool with a “risk or reward” factor.

Users can rush power weapons at the risk of being gunned down.

There’s the debate about whether or not the game “feeling” faster is relevant. I think so, primarily because, at least for me, immersion is a big part of gameplay quality.

I enjoyed Halo CE-3 as they were, but going back to Halo 3 on larger maps with the MCC, The slowness of the game is a lot more apparent and annoying. The experience is clunky and archaic. It “feels” dated, and this is because the shooter market has shown us new possibilities with how we can play, character movement being the biggest part of that. Shooters have gone from simple point and shoot mechanics to something more complex, immersive, and realistic (meaning, if we were to hypothetically enter an arena as spartans, we would most definitely be sprinting and clambering to get to places).

These new mechanics are never “necessary.” Realistically speaking, Halo 5 could just be Halo 3 with better graphics, new guns and vehicles, etc. But the main issue is that the general gamer has become spoiled. Shooters with dynamic, immersive movement abilities are common, so a lot of people (myself included) would prefer a less jarring transition from one shooter to the next.
I go from playing Destiny, where I can sprint and slide, to Halo 3, where I can jog and jump. There are too many moments when i find myself clicking the stick so I can get to a destination faster, with no result. Yes I can just adapt, which I normally do, but more often than not, I find myself favoring the game with a better sense of immersion.

IMO, how a game feels is almost just as important as how a game functions. A game can have A+ functionality on paper, but if people don’t like the feel of it, it wont do as well as it potentially could.

Phones used to have buttons, which made operating them very simple. It worked. But now, everything is touchscreen. The touchscreen mechanic has its downsides, such as potentially inaccurate typing, and the risk of oily screens, not to mention the phone being more vulnerable to physical damage. But it’s A LOT more interactive, and it feels better to a lot of people, and they come to expect that from every phone. The Blackberry isn’t gonna sell well compared to an iPhone ESPECIALLY if it still has buttons.
The biggest thing sprint really has to offer is immersion, which is very important in the evolution of gaming. You may not feel its as important as functionality, but hey shrug that’s why we have opinions.

P.S. Out of ALL the things Halo 4 introduced to ruin the gameplay, sprint was NOT the worst. I cannot be convinced that sprint outweighed: armor abilities, custom loadouts, random weapon spawns and RANDOM ORDINANCE. With all that crap gone, sprint in Halo 5 has the potential to work at least somewhat well.

TBH I liked sprint in halo 4 To some extent…

At this point it’s useless going after sprint to be taken out in this stage, but if they can get it to have reduced negatives to gameplay, that’d be grand. It’s important that players are punished for bad positioning and can’t slip away to what should become of them. Getting knocked out of sprint helps, but we’d really have to see what more there is to be done when we’re actually in the beta. And I think it’s imperative-even if the majority of MP content is built in mind for it- that players should have the ability to turn off things like sprint, ground pound, et cetera if they want to in custom games. Give us all the tools you can.

Sry people but do we really need a new thread whenever someone wants to discuss the pros/cons of Sprint?
It feels as though there are a dozen of these threads popping up every week…

What about adding to the existing threads:
The great SPRINT debate - all pros/cons & analysis:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/the-great-sprint-debate---all-pros-cons-analysis/bc9e65a5-ab87-4fca-a460-b47aa35ae4eb/posts

I’m sorry but I’ve yet to see a thread advocating sprint being in Halo (including this one) as well thought out and constructed as the ones stating why it is detrimental…

I apologise if this comes across as blunt, and after all it is just my opinion, but sprint in no way increases the skill gap, it gives poor decision making, and poor play in general a way to avoid being punished for such. If a team gets map control, they should not lose it due to a lucky spawn and the ability to quickly sprint around the side of the map… If you’re caught in the open near cover (which was too far away without sprint) you should not be able to survive from putting yourself in that position in the first place. Games seem to be lowering the skill gap in order to appeal to a wider audience, meaning they all appear to be the same game eventually.

  • Tapping a button and having to wait a second before reaching top speed will not increase the tactics regarding decision making and moving around the map.

  • You mention people will no longer be able to escape from situations but that is not the only gripe people have with sprint, as people mentioned previously, maps have been hugely expanded to compensate for the feature. With how open they will be, and the fact that sprinting is disabled if you’re shot at, most games will likely come down to picking off those people who ARE sprinting, because they are easy kills… Good players will realise that quickly and likely already have done.

  • While I agree more options in combat are a good thing I don’t feel it adds to the depth of gameplay, the ability to slide combined with a shotgun is silly (I suggest looking at destiny multiplayer online… all it is is people sliding around a map with shotguns) combat options and tactics doesn’t even come into it. And to be honest ALL of those combat options can easily be accomplished without the inclusion of sprint.

I haven’t even discussed the expansion of maps, slowing down of overall gameplay and deviation from what made the Halo games successful in the first place. Remember that although Halo 4 sold the most copies out of the series, it also lost the majority of the population in a few months (and it wasn’t all down to personal ordnance, loadouts and a lack of custom options).

At least give us the ability to turn OFF sprint for custom games if it is dead-set on being in the majority of the game. I know it can be done, remember lightning flag on Halo 4 anyone?

> 2533274889016000;15:
> I’m sorry but I’ve yet to see a thread advocating sprint being in Halo (including this one) as well thought out and constructed as the ones stating why it is detrimental…

I agree, but at least there are people here that try to elaborate their point of view about sprint, and I thank them for that because it’s far more interesting to read and to discuss than “it’s better because it’s better / all you want is a H3.5 / go back to Halo CE / leave or adapt”.

> 2533274940426117;16:
> > 2533274889016000;15:
> > I’m sorry but I’ve yet to see a thread advocating sprint being in Halo (including this one) as well thought out and constructed as the ones stating why it is detrimental…
>
>
>
> I agree, but at least there are people here that try to elaborate their point of view about sprint, and I thank them for that because it’s far more interesting to read and to discuss than “it’s better because it’s better / all you want is a H3.5 / go back to Halo CE / leave or adapt”.

Yeah, I’m a calm reasonable guy that’s hard to anger, but those other threads have given me rage I have not felt in years.

If you just like sprint and are too use to it then just say so. Don’t try to justify your preferences. If you (like OP) have the belief that the gameplay feels faster then present your argument. Don’t dismiss ours because you find it threatening the way you want to play. and for the record I don’t believe it does make the game faster. I believe it is an illusion like Gear’s 1.2x faster rodeo run. With overall general gameplay being slower to compensate, though kill times have increased to counter act increased solo encounters.

To OP. You have also mentioned a problem with Sprint without realising, Sprinting with Shotgun, with sword. In the tight corners of the maps full sprint can be achieved and give these once situational weapons full reign to dominate the map. These CQB weapons were balanced by distance which has been reduced, or extended if you want to follow the argument of map stretching. Either way, Sprint has caused a change in the balance of weapons and distance.

As mentioned by Blinky 909. My main concern is map control. Halo IS map control. The new style promotes solo sprinting to battles, having a one off engagement and then sprinting off to the next. Team work and control become near impossible. Team shooting will only happen with “slow” teams, picking of sprinters and solo players. Cast your mind back to previous Halos, including Reach. Who lost? the team or the lost puppies and the solo camper?

If anything I see those that sprint excessively to be dominated by slower team players. The annoyances will come from new surprise solo tactics like Destiny’s Sprint Slide and 1 hit kill shotgun method. All before I can get 3 rounds off.

> 2547348539238747;17:
> > 2533274940426117;16:
> > > 2533274889016000;15:
> > > I’m sorry but I’ve yet to see a thread advocating sprint being in Halo (including this one) as well thought out and constructed as the ones stating why it is detrimental…
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I agree, but at least there are people here that try to elaborate their point of view about sprint, and I thank them for that because it’s far more interesting to read and to discuss than “it’s better because it’s better / all you want is a H3.5 / go back to Halo CE / leave or adapt”.
>
>
>
>
> Yeah, I’m a calm reasonable guy that’s hard to anger, but those other threads have given me rage I have not felt in years.
>
> If you just like sprint and are too use to it then just say so. Don’t try to justify your preferences. If you (like OP) have the belief that the gameplay feels faster then present your argument. Don’t dismiss ours because you find it threatening the way you want to play. and for the record I don’t believe it does make the game faster. I believe it is an illusion like Gear’s 1.2x faster rodeo run. With overall general gameplay being slower to compensate, though kill times have increased to counter act increased solo encounters.
>
> To OP. You have also mentioned a problem with Sprint without realising, Sprinting with Shotgun, with sword. In the tight corners of the maps full sprint can be achieved and give these once situational weapons full reign to dominate the map. These CQB weapons were balanced by distance which has been reduced, or extended if you want to follow the argument of map stretching. Either way, Sprint has caused a change in the balance of weapons and distance.
>
> As mentioned by Blinky 909. My main concern is map control. Halo IS map control. The new style promotes solo sprinting to battles, having a one off engagement and then sprinting off to the next. Team work and control become near impossible. Team shooting will only happen with “slow” teams, picking of sprinters and solo players. Cast your mind back to previous Halos, including Reach. Who lost? the team or the lost puppies and the solo camper?
>
> If anything I see those that sprint excessively to be dominated by slower team players. The annoyances will come from new surprise solo tactics like Destiny’s Sprint Slide and 1 hit kill shotgun method. All before I can get 3 rounds off.

Yes, many people only consider the “sprint allows easy escape” thing, but IMO, that’s not the main issue. Indeed, my main grip against it is also how it impacts map design and map control (and actually I think that the case of many people). And although I’m waiting to play the beta to make a proper opinion on H5, I’m afraid that there’s not much hope regarding this aspect with sprint and clamber in the game.

> 2533274940426117;18:
> > 2547348539238747;17:
> > > 2533274940426117;16:
> > > > 2533274889016000;15:
> > > > I’m sorry but I’ve yet to see a thread advocating sprint being in Halo (including this one) as well thought out and constructed as the ones stating why it is detrimental…
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I agree, but at least there are people here that try to elaborate their point of view about sprint, and I thank them for that because it’s far more interesting to read and to discuss than “it’s better because it’s better / all you want is a H3.5 / go back to Halo CE / leave or adapt”.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yeah, I’m a calm reasonable guy that’s hard to anger, but those other threads have given me rage I have not felt in years.
> >
> > If you just like sprint and are too use to it then just say so. Don’t try to justify your preferences. If you (like OP) have the belief that the gameplay feels faster then present your argument. Don’t dismiss ours because you find it threatening the way you want to play. and for the record I don’t believe it does make the game faster. I believe it is an illusion like Gear’s 1.2x faster rodeo run. With overall general gameplay being slower to compensate, though kill times have increased to counter act increased solo encounters.
> >
> > To OP. You have also mentioned a problem with Sprint without realising, Sprinting with Shotgun, with sword. In the tight corners of the maps full sprint can be achieved and give these once situational weapons full reign to dominate the map. These CQB weapons were balanced by distance which has been reduced, or extended if you want to follow the argument of map stretching. Either way, Sprint has caused a change in the balance of weapons and distance.
> >
> > As mentioned by Blinky 909. My main concern is map control. Halo IS map control. The new style promotes solo sprinting to battles, having a one off engagement and then sprinting off to the next. Team work and control become near impossible. Team shooting will only happen with “slow” teams, picking of sprinters and solo players. Cast your mind back to previous Halos, including Reach. Who lost? the team or the lost puppies and the solo camper?
> >
> > If anything I see those that sprint excessively to be dominated by slower team players. The annoyances will come from new surprise solo tactics like Destiny’s Sprint Slide and 1 hit kill shotgun method. All before I can get 3 rounds off.
>
>
> Yes, many people only consider the “sprint allows easy escape” thing, but IMO, that’s not the main issue. Indeed, my main grip against it is also how it impacts map design and map control (and actually I think that the case of many people). And although I’m waiting to play the beta to make a proper opinion on H5, I’m afraid that there’s not much hope regarding this aspect with sprint and clamber in the game.

Yeah I’m waiting for the beta too. This is like the run up to Halo 4 though. We said drops sounds bad, we said custom loadouts sound REALLY bad, and Perks were just idiotic in every fashion. People might call us armchair developers but we do understand more than we are given credit for. Not that we can’t be wrong or haven’t accepted changes before. Which is why this beta and our input was really important to us. I’d rather change the game than have another Halo 4 population and DLC disaster.

> 2533274923873915;1:
> Sprint is going to be in H5. But why? That’s the question I’ve seen lots of people asking around here. So I want people to come up with pro-sprint arguments to counter the anti-sprint sentiment on the forums. Anyone that’s willing to have an open mind about the future of halo, take a while to think about the positives and negatives of sprint and construct a intelligent list of reasons it might enhance or take away from the game play experience. Without further a do here’s my points.
>
> Sprint increases skill gap - Of course this is hypothetical, because I haven’t played H5 yet, but with the balancing implemented by 343, it should make motion around the map much more tactical and deliberate considering that you have to tap a button to kick your spartan into top gear. Unlike halo 4, there is a whole list of penalties for trying to sprint at the wrong moment. Escaping from firefights with sprint will cease to exist because it is impossible to sprint while being shot at. It takes one second to reach top speed with sprint and if you are shot within that time sprint deactivates.
>
> It adds more depth to the game play - It gives players a more robust amount of options for combat including shoulder charge (which sounds like the new way to back wack), and Slide (think of how satisfying shotgun kills were in 2/3 then amplify it x10). It also increases risk/reward considering your very vulnerable while sprinting. This just adds a new layer of skill gap for people to take advantage of.
>
> Of course there’s lots of disadvantages to sprint too depending on if it’s implemented correctly or not. Please give your thoughts below and any othe advantages to sprint you can think of. Long live Halo!

Because I like the way my character feels when sprinting not brisk walking like an elderly man trying to keep in shape…and that’s that!