Advice.

10 Years of Halo. From being terrified of the Flood in Halo: CE, to the matchmaking modders, glitches, and awesome customs of Halo 2, to the apex of competitive play in Halo 3, and finally to Halo: Reach, I’ve been through it all. I have learned so much about competitive play in this time, and I would love to be able to share some simple insight that I have learned.

In the book Outliers by Malcom Gladwell, he examines how people become successful in life. One aspect of his book deals with the 10,000 hour rule, where he explains that in order to become a master of a skill or craft, one needs to spend 10,000 hours practicing in order to reach the apex of skill. While I truly hope that I have not spent 10,000 hours playing Halo, the main point of this is to show what a role practicing plays in ultimate skill. Therefore, most of these tips will only come with practice, as i have STILL not been able to master them all.

1. Keep Calm. This sounds like an insanely obvious tip, but it is not so obvious for some people. Yelling at teammates NEVER helps. Ever. That was Halo 2 for me. Screaming at teammates in a high pitched voice. It never helped. Also, its stressful, and who wants that? Chances are, if you are getting mad, you are doing something wrong, or could be doing something better. I promise.

2. Don’t Lose Hope How many times have you done this: You get matched up with the other team, look at their service records/ranks, and immidiately say “Oh we are going to win,” or, “We lost already”? This is bad because you are going into a match with a preconcieved expectation. Those are never good. Treat all your opponents equally and don’t look at their service records. My doubles partner and I got matched up against an inheritor and a noble a few days ago. We were losing 12-0, but we were smart enough not to rage/lose hope. We won 25-20. The point is, if you rage/lose hope you will lose. If you keep hope, you have a chance to win.

3. "Pull back, pull back, PULL BACK!" This is my most frequent callout. The whole theory behind my play style is that I do not do risky things. To illustrate this point, imagine I have rocket launcher on Powerhouse. I know there are two people inside the gravity hammer room, and I want to kill them both. I can either rush up and shoot my rockets, let them go and wait for a better situation, or try to shoot the rockets from afar. If I rush in, I have about a 90% chance of killing them both and a 10% chance of dieing. If I shoot from afar, my chance of killing them both decreases to about 70%, but i have a 0% chance of dieing, and their escape chance increases to 30%. Choosing the best outcome is what strategy is all about. If I run into a room and me and another person start shooting each other at the exact same time with DMRs, there is roughly a 50% chance I will win and a 50% chance he will win. I don’t like those odds, so I PULL BACK and run away. Always try to aim for a 70%/30% odds and NEVER lower than 50%.

4. Relying on Teammates always ends badly. “I’m getting shot, HELP!” Save your breath. 9/10 times (especially with randoms) your teammate will not/cannot save you. Instead, see what you can do for your teammates. Replace “country” with “teammates”. The sign of an awesome teammate is when your teammate CAN and WILL help you out, like my doubles partner. Until then, help your friends out.

5)Assists are beautiful"You stole my ki-" “SHUT UP”. Seriously. The only thing that matters is if you win. If you care more about individual kills than winning, then stop reading. I strive for Assist Sprees. Kill when you need to and assist when you need to and run away when you need to.

1. Don’t Rush Someone making you mad? Don’t Rush. It’s stupid and feeds kills to the enemy. Chill back. Always leave an escape route. Remember the percent-chance rule before. Don’t use sprint. Makes you more careful.

2. Tactical Tips That I Can Name Off the Top of my Head. Learn to strafe. Learn Spawn times of power weapons. PRACTICE. Play with a friend. Jump around corners to throw off enemies. Learn how to perfectly place those grenades. Dont Jetpack mostly. Don’t charge the plasma pistol. Learn how to drive the warthog and not die. When playing objective, kill everyone before taking objective, ESPECIALLY oddball. Try to get in the enemy’s head. Needlers kill jetpackers. TRY GREEN THUMB CONTROL SCHEME. SERIOUSLY.

And finally, practice. Don’t use sprint and get used to moving slowly, so when u use sprint it becomes a great advantage. Don’t play agressively and keep calm.

Feel free to add anything else here and give me feedback. Hope this helps someone!

tl;dr: Be patient, don’t rage, and practice. 10 years of Halo, two 50’s in Halo 3 and 20% Onyx say its true.

Questions?

EDIT: I am going to TRY to update this as much as possible with random things that come to mind. Mostly for myself because whenever I switch to another game i forget a few things, and this will be able to store all my notes. I highly doubt I will be following through, however.

been there from the beginning myself, i was 23 when i bought my xbox, and was never really into shooter games, but as part of my package i got PGR and Halo CE, i put Halo to the back of the shelf for a few months until i got bored with PGR and the games i was playing at the time, then thought, what the hell, i’ll give Halo a bash to at least see what it was all about, since that day i put the Halo disc into the Xbox, i’ve been a total convert and have been Halo crazy ever since,

there are some good tips in your post and also it’s very well written!!!

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Great tips bro. I finally found out my biggest mistake such as running in with rockets and using sprint. The bad thing about using sprint is that while your sprinting and you encounter an opponent, they can get the first strike off you while your spartan is still fixing his weapon from the sprint position.

Pretty handy tips!

PeacE
ShadEO9

When i first started playing halo reach i found it very hard to aim the DMR due to the fact that it was a precision weapon and the bloom. I found that practicing on Swat was the best way for me to get better with it. Also if you need help with it here is a video that is fantastic at showing how the DMR works, and how to use it efficiently.How to use DMR

> Great tips bro. I finally found out my biggest mistake such as running in with rockets and using sprint. The bad thing about using sprint is that while your sprinting and you encounter an opponent, they can get the first strike off you while your spartan is still fixing his weapon from the sprint position.

Yes I am glad you figured that out, and that reminds me of another strategy I like to use. Generally, I like to let the enemy take the power weapon like rockets.

Say a game of Powerhouse starts up. Generally, people love to rush right into rockets, battle it out with the other person who gets there, and either leave with rockets or let the other team have full rockets. This goes back to my hatred of 50/50 combat outcomes.

Instead, I like to jump above rockets and wait for the enemy to go ahead and grab them. This way, I can get the first two shots on him while hes picking them up, and let him waste two rockets on me while I finish him off. The only bad thing that could happen is that he gets away with two fewer rockets. I find this outcome much better than risking him killing me and keeping all four rockets. Staying alive is the most important gameplay strategy, as simple as it sounds ^.^

This advice is… vague, incorrect in some aspects and doesn’t really help a player with what most players struggle with: team work, positioning and knowledge of the game.

It’s good to see people trying to help though, I suppose. You had a few decent points.

> This advice is… vague, incorrect in some aspects and doesn’t really help a player with what most players struggle with: team work, positioning and knowledge of the game.
>
> It’s good to see people trying to help though, I suppose. You had a few decent points.

Ok, Confessors, we all know you’re super shiny and smart. And I happen to appreciate OP advice on staying calm.

So here are a couple questions for all the smarties around here.
One, assuming you already have a team mate sniping, and hopefully they do a good job of getting rid of any renagade with a close quarters power weapon sword or whatever, maybe you set a trap and bait them blah blah. BUT sometimes you end up with a sniper that just stinks and isn’t doing right.(no, Confessors, I wouldn’t kill him and take the sniper rifle) So if you had to kill an opponent with said power weapon, what’s your usual? I’ve gotten better at this with time, but I just wondered what you would say.
Secondly, what are your tips for High Noon? Its a huge weakness for me. So if you were there and had one or maybe two others with you, what would you do?

OP: as a long time Halo vet, which I’ve had the privilage of knowing a few others, how are you feeling about Halo 4?

> OP: as a long time Halo vet, which I’ve had the privilage of knowing a few others, how are you feeling about Halo 4?

As it looks now, Halo 4 seems like it still has the basic formula of what a Halo game is, but I am a little worried about the Forerunner Vision. I’m sure it will all work out and the game will still be great, but I think what I’m most looking forward to is the increased attention it has been getting. With more people buying and playing the game, we should have a more competitive atmosphere. Hopefully though, playlists reflect this and more ranked playlists are added. I have not been researching it that much so I am surprised on release, but I’m sure its going to be awesome. Who knows though. I’m kinda a go-with-the-flow guy so we’ll see when it comes out.

> This advice is… vague, incorrect in some aspects and doesn’t really help a player with what most players struggle with: team work, positioning and knowledge of the game.

This is exactly my point: No one can give specifics to these problems; they come through practice.

Regarding teamwork, it comes with longtime practice with a friend. With randoms, it means keeping an eye on what your team is doing (remeber the JFK reference?).

Regarding positioning, dont rush and be patient. Remember the 70/30 rule. Again, it comes with practice. This means knowing when a 70% chance comes along.

Knowledge of the game? Practice.

This advice is not meant to turn a Halo player better over night; that will never happen. This advice is meant to direct a player to focus on how to become better, what took me 10 years may take you only 2 months. Thats kind of scary :frowning:

I need to follow #2 more…

Youll probably get snorts from the NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER! type of over aggressive kids around here, who have such a huge problem with sprinters running away and taking “their” kill with them. Theres nothing wrong with a tactical retreat.

> Youll probably get snorts from the NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER! type of over aggressive kids around here, who have such a huge problem with sprinters running away and taking “their” kill with them. Theres nothing wrong with a tactical retreat.

i agree, and as the OP stated, staying alive is of the utmost importance, i honestly dont care what the kids think of that!!

One of your points I cannot recommend is the rush move. There have been plenty of times where I have rushed a certain weapon during a Big Team Battle match and won. And due to this weapon grab I believe I turned the tide of the match thanks to my heroics of speed, tactics and form of retreat.

> One of your points I cannot recommend is the rush move. There have been plenty of times where I have rushed a certain weapon during a Big Team Battle match and won. And due to this weapon grab I believe I turned the tide of the match thanks to my heroics of speed, tactics and form of retreat.

Yeah, but I still think your descision followed the whole basic concept. Your choice was to either run in and grab the weapon and win, or not take it and lose. Plus, I’m sure you picked the best time to run in and grab it.

Sometimes it is good to grab the weapon and run! Like I said before, no one can give answers to specific problems overall. You as the player must get a general idea of what to do, and apply it to various situations. You made the smart move by grabbing and running. Even though it seems like rushing, it probably was the smartest possible choice to make.