Advice wanted: UNSC vs. Prophet of Regret

I’ve only been playing MP for a little while. I pretty much only play “random UNSC”. So far almost everyone playing the Prophet was “pretty bad” so I never worried about them at all.

Recently I’ve played 3 games … 2 against folks that are decent and 1 against a “not good” player but they were using the Prophet to constantly harrass my development. The players didn’t field many units … they just kept me chasing my tail and when I would hurt the Prophet he’d just teleport, regen his shields, then come right back. His bases would have shields and maybe some turretts so Hogs have limited effect unless you get there REALLY early.

What is the proper strategy for UNSC vs. a Prophet that’s trying to be a 1 man army??

Against the “bad player” I won but probably shouldn’t have. My solution was:
– I used some turrets with Missle Launchers to keep my base(s) mostly intact
– I built some Wolverines once the Prophet’s tactics became obvious to predict
– I balanced upgrades of Wolverines with MAC upgrades just in case I needed a big stick
– Once I got “enough” Wolverines together I volleyed his bases to death and won that way

If the bad player had made Hunters [with upgrades] instead of trying to go the Scarab route he would have stomped me.

Note: I built an extra hog or two, took out the Ghost early, then collected as many loose resources as I could. I did keep scouting and was happy to see “no hunters”.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

tips for fully upgraded regret ( with/or without stars)

for cutter:

4 M.A.C rounds
ODST squads
disruption bomb
and several wolverines

*I usually play as cutter and ODST combined with wolverines will devisate Regret…

For forge:

wolverines
disruption bomb
grizzlys

*Forge can’t hit regret with carpet bomb so I suggest pumping out massive amounts of wolverines. grizzlys will be good but are easily destroyed by a glassing beam and a disruption bomb is a MUST…

for Anders:

Hawks
fully upgraded cryo
disruption bomb
(optional) wolverine

*Anders will devistate Regret with an onsulaght of hawks but heres what I suggest…

1. Lure Regret to a “visible” part of the map
  2. cryo him (fully upgraded is the best)
  3. ASAP, thrown down a disrupter to prevent unwanted retreat
  4. anialate him with hawks

Those are my tips and I hope your game goes well in MatchMaking :smiley:

I don’t play much 1v1, but the prophet isn’t very mobile. I think your best best is to hit him really early with hogs and try to keep him at his base, not yours. Also try to take hooks and reactors because his honor guards are kind of useless for that.

Hogs and Hornets for 1v1. It takes 3-4 gunner hogs to kill an unupgraded prophet so go reactor 2nd and force him to put up turrets at his main. On hook maps, obviously make a barracks so you can take them. Make sure he doesn’t hold onto a reactor hook (which would give him easy T2 for vampires) and constantly make warthogs and hornets. Expand around the map so you can produce hogs faster, and make sure he doesn’t expand. He will have to spend 1000 on T2 just for vampires at which point you can mostly just spam hogs. Wait until you get gauss then push on his main. Warthogs do more building damage than a single prophet, so him harassing you should be limited.

Usually the Prophet isn’t hard to beat when I’ve got a “fully upgraded army” complete with super units. My big problem is dealing with the hit & run tactics before I get to that level.

Here’s what I’m getting from the recommendations. Let me know if I’m way off base:

With Cutter:

– Build an extra hog. Try to scout things out and maybe kill the first ghost. Take all the “free supplies” sitting around.
– Try to get a barracks reasonably early and go to RPG marines fairly early
– If I have nothing else better to do then get some turrets in place
– Try to get hooks / bases / economic advantage so you can produce more troops more quickly
– Try to get a Vehicle Depot
– Try to build enough Wolverines
– With extra bases / hooks / etc. try to upgrade Marines, MAC, Wolverines, and Towers

With Forge:
– Similar to Cutter but go Grizzlies instead of ODST and it’s not as much of a big deal to upgrade leader powers
– Have some RPG marines around as they will be out quicker and do better than Tanks in the early going

With Anders:
– Similar to the others but concentrate on getting Air Power & upgrades for Air Power.

With all leaders keep scouting and hope the Prophet can’t both harrass me AND build counter units.

Edit: If scouting says he’s not defending his base then try to do a “gunner hog rush” and see if I can kill some warehouses or similar. If nothing else then “make him” build turrets, shield, etc. which is resources he can’t “glass” me with.

No… I’d go with what bb said. He’s good. Hogs at the prophet’s base. You have to harass him before you can worry about taking the sides. Keep him off of you with hogs. It really shouldn’t come to grizzlies or ODSTs, but I guess that could happen in 1v1, I don’t play it.

As human:

While the prophet isn’t flying use Scorpians/Grizzys and canister shell

While flying Wolverines

• D-Bomb

As covenant:

While not flying jackels ect

While flying Vampires + stasis

if you have 2 players work together. Human + Covy

Vampire + stasis then D-bomb all the prophet can do in that situation -is- die.

One of my favorite tactics to use against PoR is to put down a D-Bomb and have a friendly use a vampire on him. (If flying)
I usually play 3v3s, so it depends on who I am and my teammates… More so my teammates.

> No… I’d go with what bb said. He’s good. Hogs at the prophet’s base. You have to harass him before you can worry about taking the sides. Keep him off of you with hogs. It really shouldn’t come to grizzlies or ODSTs, but I guess that could happen in 1v1, I don’t play it.

Will do as best as I can … hornets & hogs to harrass and keep him off balance instead of allowing myself to be kept off balance. Try to take away his reactor hook [map dependant] if possible to keep Vamps off the board for a little longer.

Question: Would this advice apply if the Phophet player went “super turtle” early?? I guess I need to try it but wouldn’t I spend more $ attacking than he would lose defending?? If I’m wrong let me know.

I guess if I can keep him from expanding eventually I should be able to expand then it wouldn’t matter. I just need to crack the shell of the turtle before the Scarab [or other super units] come out to play … right??

FYI: Against some “not so good” players playing the Prophet this weekend Marines did a nice job. [Of course against not-so-good players a lot of stuff may have worked].

> One of my favorite tactics to use against PoR is to put down a D-Bomb and have a friendly use a vampire on him. (If flying)
> I usually play 3v3s, so it depends on who I am and my teammates… More so my teammates.

A Spatan with a “Jacked” Vampire works wonders too :slight_smile:

> I’ve only been playing MP for a little while. I pretty much only play “random UNSC”. So far almost everyone playing the Prophet was “pretty bad” so I never worried about them at all.
>
> Recently I’ve played 3 games … 2 against folks that are decent and 1 against a “not good” player but they were using the Prophet to constantly harrass my development. The players didn’t field many units … they just kept me chasing my tail and when I would hurt the Prophet he’d just teleport, regen his shields, then come right back. His bases would have shields and maybe some turretts so Hogs have limited effect unless you get there REALLY early.
>
>
> What is the proper strategy for UNSC vs. a Prophet that’s trying to be a 1 man army??
>
>
> Against the “bad player” I won but probably shouldn’t have. My solution was:
> – I used some turrets with Missle Launchers to keep my base(s) mostly intact
> – I built some Wolverines once the Prophet’s tactics became obvious to predict
> – I balanced upgrades of Wolverines with MAC upgrades just in case I needed a big stick
> – Once I got “enough” Wolverines together I volleyed his bases to death and won that way
>
>
> If the bad player had made Hunters [with upgrades] instead of trying to go the Scarab route he would have stomped me.
>
>
> Note: I built an extra hog or two, took out the Ghost early, then collected as many loose resources as I could. I did keep scouting and was happy to see “no hunters”.
>
> **************************************
>
> Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I dont know if anyone has said what I will say, I apologize in advance.

In my opinion, warthogs are the best way to counter against covenant, except for arbiter.

A few warthogs at their base will do far mroe damage than their 1 leader at yours. Even if they start to build hunters, tech 1 hunters get rammed easily, and unless they are micro’d correctly, alot of time I dont even fight the hunters, but rather jsut drive circles around the base, forcing him to build turrets and more hunters while i take out buildings. By putting the pressure on him at his base, your forcing him to adapt to your play style. If you manage to destroy any buildings, or prevent some from going up, you are giving yourself a huge advantage economically, establishing map control, scouting him to counter, and it allows you take another base faster with your warthogs.

The prophet IS NOT going to have ALL of the following before you get 3-4 hogs:

shields
turrets
blessed immolation

He will maybe have 2 of these, probly 1, by the time you get to his base. If he has blessed immolation, go for the base. If he doesnt have blessed immolation, go for him, force him to waste money warping back, and if you can you should pursue him to his base and finish him off.

> > No… I’d go with what bb said. He’s good. Hogs at the prophet’s base. You have to harass him before you can worry about taking the sides. Keep him off of you with hogs. It really shouldn’t come to grizzlies or ODSTs, but I guess that could happen in 1v1, I don’t play it.
>
> Will do as best as I can … hornets & hogs to harrass and keep him off balance instead of allowing myself to be kept off balance. Try to take away his reactor hook [map dependant] if possible to keep Vamps off the board for a little longer.
>
>
> Question: Would this advice apply if the Phophet player went “super turtle” early?? I guess I need to try it but wouldn’t I spend more $ attacking than he would lose defending?? If I’m wrong let me know.
>
> I guess if I can keep him from expanding eventually I should be able to expand then it wouldn’t matter. I just need to crack the shell of the turtle before the Scarab [or other super units] come out to play … right??
>
>
> FYI: Against some “not so good” players playing the Prophet this weekend Marines did a nice job. [Of course against not-so-good players a lot of stuff may have worked].

If you can’t harass him because he makes 2 or more turrets, just expand and take all the hooks on the map. Hogs and Hornets are still usually a good option as if he does this you should be able to get plenty of gauss hogs by the time he even manages to get T2.

Marines/flamers might work against the Arbiter or BC on 1 or 2 maps, but not against the Prophet. Before you get adrenaline, he can easily just run away and recharge his shield. A T1 beam also destroys flamers. I’m not saying you shouldn’t use flamers to grab hooks, you just need to compliment them with hogs and usually hornets vs the Prophet.

just to let you all know, all good players that still played moved to this forum site:

lazyfrog.us

if you seriously want strat help, etc. post it on there. 95% of people here have no idea what they are talking about and are giving bad advice.