ADS animation in Halo?

How would you feel if 343i added the ads animation into Halo 5, unaffecting gameplay or anything else? Personally I wouldn’t really care if they did, and I think it would add a little more immersion into the game.

ADS = Aim down sight, in case anyone didn’t know.

EDIT: I meant only for the weapons that had some sort of scope on them, like the BR or DMR, but never mind that because I forgot that scopes were smart linked to Spartans HUD anyhow.

You may need to elaborate. If “ADS” is an acronym, spell it out for us dummies, at least for the first time, then proceed using acronym. Because I googled “ads animation” and all I got was stuff about advertising.

> You may need to elaborate. If “ADS” is an acronym, spell it out for us dummies, at least for the first time, then proceed using acronym. Because I googled “ads animation” and all I got was stuff about advertising.

Aiming down sights aka the most un realistic thing in any shooter.

> ADS

Aim down sights

Why did it post and not edit???

Ignore this post.

I think I"m safe in assuming this man means ‘Aim Down Sights’ as in what happens in most shooters when you pull LT.

I actually think having a couple (and only a couple) weapons actually have an ADS mechanic to them might bring some weird flavor to the game that would be fun. As for this, he’s just suggesting an animation, not a mechanic. Just flavor material.

As for that, it’d technically be a step back in canon. The reason you have no ADS in Halo is because the MJOLNIR’s Heads-Up Display includes the targeting reticule you see as part of its tracking/aiming system. The only reason you’d need ADS as a Spartan is in case of malfunction or some technology that doesn’t allow live sync with the armor. I… could see this working with a Precursor weapon of some sort, though.

EDIT: Ninja’d on the ADS. Heh.

> How would you feel if 343i added the ads animation into Halo 5, unaffecting gameplay or anything else?

I’m not sure how you can add a gameplay mechanic into the game without affecting it.

What I think you’re saying is that the usual zoom functionality remains, but it looks like ADS. I don’t think I’d like this because ADS obstructs the field-of-vision.

I’d be fine seeing Marines with an ADS animation, as some lack Visors with HUDs, so it would make sense for them to be aiming down.

As for the player, i Say no.
Canonically, HUDs eliminate any need for ADSing, and nonetheless, more than 80% of the weapons in Halo lack a sight.

and realistically, it’s not Halo, you’d have very many Halo fans crying out, becausing it’s breaking the uniqueness of Halo too much.

And even so, if you want ADS to serve no purpose otehr than being there; “Uneffecting gameplay or anything else”, why bother including it in the first place, if it adds nothing practical?

Ok. Thank you guys for clarifying.

There should be no need for it … there’s already a canonical reason for it not existing, dealing with the helmet’s visor-to-gun uplink thingy allowing for zooms and sights to appear on the visor and what-not-etc-etc.

and shall we all now brace ourselves for the inevitable “clever” title mash-ups suggesting that “Halo” and another popular FPS wherein sights are aimed down are already too much alike? Shall we?

I just don’t feel like ADS is a mechanic that would work in Halo. Is it a bad mechanic? No. Its perfectly fine.

But Aiming Down the Sights has 2 major flaws in Halo:

1. The whole point of a Spartans visor is that they can zoom in via Smart Link without the aid of looking down the weapons scope.

2. Half the weapons in Halo don’t have Sights. 343 would have to redesign half the sandbox to compensate for this.

Like I said, I don’t hate the ADS mechanic. Hell, I think it works in most shooters. But In Halo? Nah.

> > How would you feel if 343i added the ads animation into Halo 5, unaffecting gameplay or anything else?
>
> I’m not sure how you can add a gameplay mechanic into the game without affecting it.
>
> What I think you’re saying is that the usual zoom functionality remains, but it looks like ADS. I don’t think I’d like this because ADS look obstructs the field-of-vision.

Kind of like what CS:GO did with the AUG and SG553 a couple months ago. Personally I’d rather not. It didn’t add anything to GO and simply wasted the time it took for the animation to play through. If the same were to happen with the BR/DMR/Sniper etc I can imagine it ending up much the same.

> I just don’t feel like ADS is a mechanic that would work in Halo. Is it a bad mechanic? No. Its perfectly fine.
>
> But Aiming Down the Sights has 2 major flaws in Halo:
>
> 1. The whole point of a Spartans visor is that they can zoom in via Smart Link without the aid of looking down the weapons scope.
>
> 2. Half the weapons in Halo don’t have Sights. 343 would have to redesign half the sandbox to compensate for this.
>
> Like I said, I don’t hate the ADS mechanic. Hell, I think it works in most shooters. But In Halo? Nah.

I should have clarified that I meant having aiming down sights only on weapons with sights, not on an AR or anything, and I see that this thread is pointless now anyways because I forgot that Scopes were smart linked to a Spartan’s HUD lol

i’d prefer to pass on ADS and stick with the standard scope mechanic.

no thank you. why aim down sights when you have a smart linked scope with any weapon?

The addition of ADS will be a step backwards for Halo in my opinion. Plus it would ruin the canon reason of why there is no ADS.

I’d prefer to see a crosshair (i.e. scoping) to looking at a sight for aim.

I see real no purpose to having ADS. Maybe it’s that I am just old school and prefer hip-fire. There is a video on YouTube showing what ADS would look like on the AR. The only problem is I can’t link it since it’s modded and I’ll get banned or something stupid.

I’m surprised most people didn’t know what ADS meant.

For those who say that Halo guns don’t have sights, most of them do. The BR’s carry handle functions as one, and the MA5 series of ARs have Iron sights that flip up to assist accuracy. Now if we’d only see this ingame for Marines…

I’m fine with the way it works right now, tho.

> no thank you. why aim down sights when you have a smart linked scope with any weapon?

Smartlink won’t do much good when your HUD malfunctions or your visor is severly damaged. Maybe they could implement it like the Hammerburst in Gears of War 3?

All it was, was a visual discrepancy due to effects and being a drawn artwork, nothing more.

I don’t think there was tragically provocative detail anywhere to illicit these rumors.

Add to that HaloFollower should have never worded his opinion on the " Game Breaking ADS" cacophony, it stirs uninformed hysteria.