Adding AI to forge

Adding AI to forge would be amazing! I had such a good time watching AI opponents duke it out in the far cry 3 map editor. It would be awesome to place marines and watch them fight grunts and elites. I have been hoping for something like this for a long time and far cry 3 did it. It would be cool to see an update for halo 4 that did this, but I don’t expect that at all. But anyway, Forge would be even better than it already is if they put this in the new Halo, anyone agree?

I’m all for it. It was fantastic in Far Cry 3 despite the overall terrible gameplay (and no splitscreen). We’d need a real map editor in Halo 5 for it to reach its full potential, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Farcry should be looked at as a shining example of what Forge should attempt to become like. We need a full editor such as this.

AIs in forge would be amazing, especially seeing as you could put in bots and test out your newly made map

Reminds me of Project Spark… If Halo could have THAT level of map editor (AI are cool, too) then that would allow for so much potential. To be honest, I think the biggest reason they haven’t done this yet has been the fear that their DLC maps could essentially be remade and uploaded for free use. I know EA/DICE have had similar concerns regarding a map editor for Battlefield…

would be nice to see, you could do it so they have a set track like in cmapaign and they will wait for you if there too far ahead and you can set points where they stop and wait for a certain amount of time, you could have it as a setting where they just stay prone, you could have it as a drawing box almost where you look at the map from above looking down and you draw a box (must meet to make a box or circle or what ever) and you could set them with certain weapons and you can go up to them and swap weapons, you can set them to friendly or foe, also i you put one down but dont set the zone on where they can go then they just stand still, you could also have it so you can select a vehicle and have a setting saying (AI use vehicle) and then set a track where the ai would drive the vehicle, would be so good, really would, people could make there own campaign storys or even a co op campaign, etc etc etc

Aswell as that they could have it so you put down roads like dirt tracks like in the campaign and slo dead bodys, so dead marines, dead grunts etc etc etc :slight_smile:

be best idea for halo in a long time

> To be honest, I think the biggest reason they haven’t done this yet has been the fear that their DLC maps could essentially be remade and uploaded for free use.

Oh my god, I bet this is true :frowning:

Far cry 3’s beta testing menu to play custom maps should absolutely be in halo 5 and should have been part of halo since halo 3.

> Reminds me of Project Spark… If Halo could have THAT level of map editor (AI are cool, too) then that would allow for so much potential. To be honest, I think the biggest reason they haven’t done this yet has been the fear that their DLC maps could essentially be remade and uploaded for free use. I know EA/DICE have had similar concerns regarding a map editor for Battlefield…

I feel that rather than selling maps they made pre-launch as DLC, they should let the community make their own, but sell items like armor, skins, gametypes, and extra microtransactions.

Far Cry 3… that is all i have to say

> > To be honest, I think the biggest reason they haven’t done this yet has been the fear that their DLC maps could essentially be remade and uploaded for free use.
>
> Oh my god, I bet this is true :frowning:

Or maybe it’s very difficult to add this kind of feature and have it work in a user-friendly manner.

There are lots of things that go into making AI work on a map. You need pathing meshes to tell them where to go, and ideally you should have various markers (cover, ammo, et cetera) to tell them what locations have strategic value. Otherwise, an AI-controlled character will stand still, wander around mindlessly, or run into the same wall for ten minutes until you put it out of its misery.

From an editing standpoint, the challenge is to provide all of that to a player while making it easy to work with. It may be possible to automate some things (like pathing meshes) with great difficulty, but other things (like placing objectives for the AI) need to be exposed to the player, and in an easy-to-use manner that fits with the rest of the Forge UI. This is before getting into how the networking for AI would work in Custom Games (currently, Halo AI require a slower, bulkier netcode).

It’s all very challenging stuff. Maybe DLC is a factor, but it’s not the only reason we have yet to see this editing in a console Halo game.

Ever since I discovered forge I was thinking about A.I. enemies and allies even just to mess about.

But maybe instead of just UNSC and Covenant there could be flood as well?

I was really disappointed with the flood game mode, I thought you would have to survive waves of the flood attacking rather than playing against other players :frowning: