Add "LIKE" to save "THANK"

Right now, a great many users – myself included, to be perfectly honest – have fallen into the habit of using the “Thank” button as both a Thank and a “Like” button. This unfortunately damages the utility of the Thank feature.

The apparent idea behind Thank is a wonderful one that I support: it can be used to measure how helpful a user has been to the community, which is the best measure of “rep” a forum can offer. I think it’s clever and I think it’s the best rep system I’ve seen on a forum… But when Thank is used as a Like button, this idea crumbles and the feature loses all utility. A lot of people believe that a Like button is pointless, but the lack of a Like button – and subsequent use of Thank as a replacement – makes Thank pointless.

It’s an undeniable fact that one way or another, people are going to have a Like button. The question is, are we going to get it by distorting the Thank feature and stripping it of all utility, or will an actual Like button be added?

i like this.

i’m sorry but couldn’t resist, personally i blame facebook.

anyhow, i like the thank feature, it also encourages people to be more helpful and passive instead of being rude and aggressive which is a good positive and is what i like most about this little yet nifty feature.

do we need a like button?
for your reasoning yes and i agree but here is the problem, will people be bothering with only 1 of 2 features, what i see happening is people using the like button where they should be using the thank instead and the other way around.

> will people be bothering with only 1 of 2 features, what i see happening is people using the like button where they should be using the thank instead and the other way around.

True. Hadn’t thought of that.

Perhaps we can have two prominently-displayed measures of rep below the avatar: thanks and likes, side-by-side. Imagine a capsule split in half: left half green with a star, number of thanks; right half pink with a heart, number of likes. A bigger visual differentiation could remind people that the two features are separate.

> > will people be bothering with only 1 of 2 features, what i see happening is people using the like button where they should be using the thank instead and the other way around.
>
> True. Hadn’t thought of that.
>
> Perhaps we can have two prominently-displayed measures of rep below the avatar: thanks and likes, side-by-side. Imagine a capsule split in half: left half green with a star, number of thanks; right half pink with a heart, number of likes. A bigger visual differentiation could remind people that the two features are separate.

yea, that could work, actually, i think that would do the trick just fine.

the other thing that might come up is people asking for thanks and likes but that can be easily discouraged.

> yea, that could work, actually, i think that would do the trick just fine.
>
> the other thing that might come up is people asking for thanks and likes but that can be easily discouraged.

Indeed.

But speaking of asking, it may be best to have a message show up occasionally at the top of pages, for newbies: We have a special rep system that measures how helpful users are. If someone helps you out, help them back: click “Thank” on their post! :slight_smile: This could help the feature be properly used, and help ensure it’s not underused.

Interesting. I’m not sure if it would help to add thanks and likes, imo it would just get messy.

But I do understand the need for a separate system. As it is it has become a little popularity contest.

Agreed. I’m starting to treat this place as Facebook :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you taking the definition of the word Thank to literal.

I think the thank button is more of a way to thank you! lol (thank you and like put into one word)

For example
Thank you for your post, I enjoyed it.
Thank you , you made me laugh.
Thank you, I never thought of it that way.
etc etc etc…

Please don’t Facebook this site too.

> Interesting. I’m not sure if it would help to add thanks and likes, imo it would just get messy.
>
> But I do understand the need for a separate system. As it is it has become a little popularity contest.

It’s a HUGE popularity contest. People get “thanked” for just saying Hi or greeting people.

IMO, the Thank feature should be used when it has in fact caused the person thanking another user some sort of help on a subject. Be it an explanation, fixing a problem, etc.

If anything, the Thank feature should have an Explanation bar along with it where the user HAS to explain why instead of just jamming on the button as a “Like” feature.

Most of this comes from someone starting a ranting thread for better or worse. Those don’t require a “Thanks” in the way the feature is used.

I think the thank option is kinda neat.

> Please don’t Facebook this site too.

well, the thank feature has done that already, facebook realized that people like to judge other people and the like feature just plays on it.

even if facebook didn’t start the trend, these sort of features would have come up eventually having the same exact effect.

Instead of “Like” how about adding Thumbs (up/down) or Stars (1-5 or 1-3) as a way to rank an entire thread or individual posts. Keep the thank but add a more comprehensive feedback mechanism that allows for both sides (“Like” / “Dislike”) of feedback to be captured.

> Instead of “Like” how about adding Thumbs (up/down) or Stars (1-5 or 1-3) as a way to rank an entire thread or individual posts. Keep the thank but add a more comprehensive feedback mechanism that allows for both sides (“Like” / “Dislike”) of feedback to be captured.

My concern with a way of downvoting things would be the potential to abuse it based on popularity or just a straight up difference of opinion. Go take a peek at any of the bloom argument threads to get an idea of what I mean. :confused:

> My concern with a way of downvoting things would be the potential to abuse it based on popularity or just a straight up difference of opinion. Go take a peek at any of the bloom argument threads to get an idea of what I mean. :confused:

Good point and one I didn’t fully consider at first. If implemented to only allow a up/down vote once, would a thread rating system be able to capture additional data pertaining to where the repetitive topics more accurately sat among the general opinion?

If a small number of people, not representative of a majority mindset/opinion, are responsible for 80% of the noise and repetitive posts (ZB, Bloom, Rank, etc), perhaps a “rating” system could better reflect where the majority feedback fell on a particular topic/issue.

I don’t know. Just thinking, or typing as it were, out loud.

While our community leaders and admin staff (yourself included) do a bang up job trying to Keep It Clean and civil, the Waypoint forums too often remind me of what B.net devolved into.

I don’t know what the answer is either but I absolutely agree that it would be nice to have another way to gauge helpful/useful/legitimate-ness of a particular thread. I’ve been on other boards that had the option to rate threads on a scale of 1-5 stars but that was very seldom utilized. I think in 3 years I saw maybe a small handful of “ranked” threads.

I wonder if maybe up/down voting based on the entire thread would be a (slightly) better option? That way ALL the responses have to be considered? Not just the ones you agree with.

(All “you’s” are general.)

I wouldn’t want this place to look like its copying facebook. I rather have something else to signify a postitive feedback other then the “Like”.

I don’t think adding a like button will fix anything. If a like button is added, most users will only use that button, because it’s a feature of many sites, these days, and the Thank feature will be pointless anyways. The only way to fix the thank you button(I haven’t noticed much of a problem with it), is to removed the number of thanks from the users profile. That way, it won’t be a contest anymore. If the children won’t play properly with a toy, they don’t get to play at all. :wink:

> The only way to fix the thank you button(I haven’t noticed much of a problem with it), is to removed the number of thanks from the users profile. That way, it won’t be a contest anymore.

That would fix “competition” and “boosting”, but that still won’t fix just plain-Jane habitual misuse.

> If the children won’t play properly with a toy, they don’t get to play at all. :wink:

“Hey, George, there’s a pothole in the road.”

“What’s that?”

“I said the road’s got a pothole. It ain’t workin’ right.”

“Okay. Ready the nukes.”

…Seriously, though, should we not attempt to salvage the feature before we relegate it to a veritable dustbin?

As long as there’s no Dislike. That would say that the entire post is worthless even if it has some good points. On the other hand, Like would mean the entire post is worth reading, even if it has some bad points. But I’d prefer Like over Dislike any day. I think Thank gets the job done though.

I think the ‘Thank’ post can be like saying I thank you for posting a comment I like so it works for both the things OP mentioned :slight_smile: