Add Bots To Reach's MCC Multiplayer

343, please add AI bots to Reach’s multiplayer in MCC.

7 Likes

343, please add AI bots to all Halo games in MCC.

3 Likes

Area aware campaign style AI are definitely possible, but to add actual player style, objective focused, map traversing bots is kind of a stretch to backtrack into retro games.

2 Likes

This one probably my number 2 requested feature besides finishing the custom game browser. Sometimes I want to play weird modes and bots would help that. In 1999 Quake 3 had bots with different personalities and mods made them smarter. In 2000 Perfect Dark took the bot personalities a step farther. Surprised they were never added to Halo.

3 Likes

Yeah I often think about the bots that were in Perfect Dark, but the game had no dumpy in-engine made custom maps.
And Quake’s not made in-engine custom maps probably included some degree of pathfinding, at least I’d assume so.

Hell yes! Obviously they should add bots to all games in MCC in the long run, but they should absolutely start with Halo: Reach just like they did with the Custom Games Browser.

1 Like

Maybe they could compile data from previous games played that took into account the killing player’s location and weapon used vs opponent death method, weapon equipped, and location. That might help.

Oh and of course, the armor variants used by both players which plays a huge role in this game.

Oh yeah, just add bots. That makes sense. Hey, 343 can you just add battle royale in halo 3 while you’re at it? Please and thank you.

Different locations and realistic pathways to them would likely need to be set for each vanilla map for AI to understand how to traverse the geometry, and then there’s no way of telling how that’d work with forge maps, I don’t even quite get how that’s planed for Infinite…

1 Like

It does make sense. It’s a feature that allows you to preserve the legacy of each Halo title without the reliance on other people to play. Granted, it would require time to bring in, but it is tangible, they have used bots for testing (and there are mods already bringing such bots to life for gameplay).

Why wold it be ridiculous? Should we just beg 343 to add in more useless cosmetics that fools can enjoy for a day or two before moving on to the next thing?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s going to happen, although the team has not necessarily ruled out the possibility, they’ve merely claimed that it’s not happening at this time. However, given the shenanigans with Infinite, it’s becoming increasingly less likely.

The best option is to hope for future breakthroughs in the modding community. Several people have developed mods that incorporate bots, it’st just that many of these lack some key features from the multiplayer so it doesn’t translate the true matchmaking experience … That includes kill confirmation, medals, announcer, lack of maps, no ability to adjust weapons for bots to spawn with etc.

1 Like

The modding community is exclusive to PC. Console players like myself don’t get to use mods. Try again.

1 Like

MCC will take a long time to die but I wouldn’t mind some kind of bots being implemented in local matches for when that day eventually happens and to replace leavers and players that lose connection in matches (provided the bots weren’t super easy like Infinite)

1 Like

Ideally, have multiplayer Bots replace players who have quit. If that is too difficult, maybe the next best thing could be a BTB mode where enemy A.I. appear on the map and fight both teams.

Bots are a great idea for sure, but the implementation of them would be very difficult and take a ton of programming were they to be effective. Have you played Reach firefight? After a few games on each map you will know exactly where to find the remaining enemies that need to be killed in order to spawn the next wave. The AI is extremely predictable. Would the bots be programmed to do basic jumps such as on Asylum, low front shotgun to sniper hut? Would they take into account power weapon respawn timers? In objective games, would they be able to balance targeting opponents and going for the objective? Would they grasp the concept of map control? More than likely the answer is no to all of the above.

1 Like

Bots are one of the features I want more than anything in MCC. Not just in Reach, but in all of MCC. I love setting up custom games with a couple of friends, and adding bots to that would make it even better. Or even when I just want to play on my own, I’d love to set up a match with 15 bots. (though in halo infinite you can only have 8, unfortunately)

I understand it would be a lot of work, but I wouldn’t rule out the idea just yet. this could be a great edition to the vast amount of content in MCC. I think infinite has a good start, with the 4 difficulty levels for bots, though I wish you could set the difficulty for the bots on an individual basis, so you could have a mix of skill level. Like you could give the enemy team 2 spartan level bots, and an ODST and a Marine, and give yourself 2 Marines and an ODST, or any number of combinations, which could drastically change how the game plays.

Needless to say, if implemented correctly, I think bots would be a great addition.

3 Likes

The games can’t run crossplay for campaign nor pc splitscreen yet, zombies with automatic team switching hasn’t even been set up for Halo 2 classic yet, halo 4 is missing loadout content, and Reach firefight voices are still unusable in campaign.

Bots require more work than all of those combined multiplied by 5 separate and unique engines facing different challenges each, that would require an entire reworking just to support a non-legacy feature. A reworking that could ultimately break the multiplayer as bad as it did when the original ports were done. a reworking that would amount to nothing when forge comes into play.

PvP Multiplayer Bots are likely never going to happen, at most they might add ODST NPC’s using the squad system from Reach’s campaign as a setting for Reach firefight, but that’s about it.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you could ever use firefight voices in Campaign, could you?

Additionally, I certainly understand the impractical endeavor it would be to integrate bots into multiplayer, but I’ll have to disagree with it amounting to nothing because of forge. There are several options for this, including AI pathfinding tools in forge, or perhaps forge maps have more limitations, or do not support bots at all.

I agree, it likely will never happen, but I can hope. :slight_smile: The thing that keeps me okay with it is the fact that it is impractical, but not impossible. It’s at a point where it’s technically possible, but I’ll definitely understand if it is never implemented.

Are you a developer?

1 Like