Add a motion sensor to Team Throwdown?

I’ve recently been playing some matches in Team Throwdown. I love most of the settings, especially the toned down ordnance and pre-made classes, but one thing still irks me. When I play, I feel like I have to constantly turn around to check behind me, and this really ruins the flow of gameplay in my opinion. I don’t like having to be so ridiculously cautious when I want to make a move in CTF or one of the other Objective gametypes in Throwdown.

This was the same idea with the Team Slayer Pro playlist that launched with Halo 4. It was good, but the lack of the motion sensor just kind of ruined the experience for me.

Personally I don’t see the correlation between competitiveness and lack of key aspects of Halo gameplay. The motion sensor has always been there, and call it a crutch if you will, but without it seems like something is lacking… because something is. Removing the motion sensor’s ability to see enemies doesn’t make gameplay any more competitive than it would be otherwise. To me it actually makes it less competitive, because now crouching, another key aspect of Halo’s gameplay, is less useful. Instead of using crouching to disappear off of the motion sensor to make a surprise attack, crouching is now just a way to make yourself less exposed. Removing the ability to see enemies on the motion sensor took away a key stealth tactic in gameplay.

If you want to disappear from the radar, you should have to sacrifice something for it; movement speed. With these settings crouching is basically only half as tactical as it is with the motion sensor enabled.

Another issue is that fact that with this setting, people who have higher quality speakers/audio technology (headphones, etc) have an advantage with being able to hear enemy footsteps easily without having to constantly turn around to check for an enemy. By being able to see enemies on the motion sensor, this large advantage is toned down. It’s still there, of course, just made more fair for all players.

I really don’t see this as a necessity for the Playlist to be more competitive. I feel that if the motion sensor was enabled to see enemies, even at the decreased distance setting, gameplay would be smoother, more tactical, and ultimately more fair for every player.

No.

It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.

> No.
>
> It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.

but in halo 3 the ranked slayer had motion tracker and that was competitive.

Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.

Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.

Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.

> > No.
> >
> > It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> > It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> > MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.
>
> but in halo 3 the ranked slayer had motion tracker and that was competitive.

It was not labeled as the competitive playlist though.
The MLG playlist was. That had no radar of course.

Practically every ranked playlist in Halo 3 was competitive. It was ranked lol.

> Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
>
> Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
>
> Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.

Thank you.

> No.
>
> It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.

For some reason I feel as if you didn’t even read what I wrote. Lack of visibility of enemies on the motion sensor doesn’t make the Playlist any more competitive than it would be with it on. It just makes it less fair for people who don’t have Turtle Beaches/other way to “soundwhore” and decreases the tacticality of crouching while simultaneously ruining the flow of gamplay.

And I don’t give a damn about MLG gametypes. Throwdown wasn’t meant to be an MLG Playlist, it was meant to be a competitive playlist, more akin to older Halos.

I also stated the Motion Tracker could use the more limited range version. People have always still called out locations, because the Motion Tracker doesn’t have infinite range. The low-range Motion Tracker would be beneficial in my opinion.

> > > No.
> > >
> > > It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> > > It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> > > MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.
> >
> > but in halo 3 the ranked slayer had motion tracker and that was competitive.
>
> It was not labeled as the competitive playlist though.
> The MLG playlist was. That had no radar of course.
>
> Practically every ranked playlist in Halo 3 was competitive. It was ranked lol.

then why don’t they just call team throwdown, team slayer pro or mlg because clearly its not classic competitive like they promised.

> > > > No.
> > > >
> > > > It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> > > > It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> > > > MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.
> > >
> > > but in halo 3 the ranked slayer had motion tracker and that was competitive.
> >
> > It was not labeled as the competitive playlist though.
> > The MLG playlist was. That had no radar of course.
> >
> > Practically every ranked playlist in Halo 3 was competitive. It was ranked lol.
>
> then why don’t they just call team throwdown, team slayer pro or mlg because clearly its not classic competitive like they promised.

It is like older Halo playlists. It’ supposed to be similar to MLG settings.

> Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
>
> Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
>
> Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.

You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?

Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.

> > No.
> >
>
> For some reason I feel as if you didn’t even read what I wrote. Lack of visibility of enemies on the motion sensor doesn’t make the Playlist any more competitive than it would be with it on. It just makes it less fair for people who don’t have Turtle Beaches/other way to “soundwhore” and decreases the tacticality of crouching while simultaneously ruining the flow of gamplay.
>
> And I don’t give a damn about MLG gametypes. Throwdown wasn’t meant to be an MLG Playlist, it was meant to be a competitive playlist, more akin to older Halos.
>
> I also stated the Motion Tracker could use the more limited range version. People have always still called out locations, because the Motion Tracker doesn’t have infinite range. The low-range Motion Tracker would be beneficial in my opinion.

It was meant to resemble MLG defaults and settings.
It was also partially designed and created by an MLG pro with testing from pros.
So, yes, it was based around MLG setting. Hence no radar.

> > Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
> >
> > Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
> >
> > Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.
>
> You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?
>
> Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.

Well, you obviously haven’t been in the competitive scene before.

Having a mic on and communicating with your teammates can prevent all of that by them telling you that stuff. A good teammate will tell you that there are enemies in that room and how many or that there is a player behind you if he sees them.

Trust me, my team and I do it in MM and competitions all the time.

> > > Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
> > >
> > > Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
> > >
> > > Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.
> >
> > You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?
> >
> > Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.
>
> Well, you obviously haven’t been in the competitive scene before.
>
> Having a mic on and communicating with your teammates can prevent all of that by them telling you that stuff. A good teammate will tell you that there are enemies in that room and how many or that there is a player behind you if he sees them.
>
> Trust me, my team and I do it in MM and competitions.

Yes, I get that, but what about those of us who don’t have a team to play with, and are matched up with randoms all the time? What are we supposed to do then?

> I’ve recently been playing some matches in Team Throwdown. I love most of the settings, especially the toned down ordnance and pre-made classes, but one thing still irks me. When I play, <mark>I feel like I have to constantly turn around to check behind me,</mark> and this really ruins the flow of gameplay in my opinion. I don’t like having to be so ridiculously cautious when I want to make a move in CTF or one of the other Objective gametypes in Throwdown.

I feel like a simple term could replace this highlighted part of your post. Map awareness. Having to actually look around rather than think in lines is what will separate the average joe from a good player.

Overall this is the BEST playlist in H4 as far as competitiveness goes. It should stay that way. Only improve from here.

> > > > > No.
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s the competitive playlist for Halo 4 at the moment.
> > > > > It’s not supposed to have radar. That’s the whole point.
> > > > > MLG and MLG type gametypes do not have radar and haven’t for a long time.
> > > >
> > > > but in halo 3 the ranked slayer had motion tracker and that was competitive.
> > >
> > > It was not labeled as the competitive playlist though.
> > > The MLG playlist was. That had no radar of course.
> > >
> > > Practically every ranked playlist in Halo 3 was competitive. It was ranked lol.
> >
> > then why don’t they just call team throwdown, team slayer pro or mlg because clearly its not classic competitive like they promised.
>
> It is like older Halo playlists. It’ supposed to be similar to MLG settings.

Most old halo playlist had AR/BR starts with magnum, weapons on map(that didn’t have a giant arrow over them), no AAs , no ordinance and a motion tracker. The only thing in throwdown that resembles old halo is the BR and magnum.

> > No.
> >
>
> For some reason I feel as if you didn’t even read what I wrote. Lack of visibility of enemies on the motion sensor doesn’t make the Playlist any more competitive than it would be with it on. It just makes it less fair for people who don’t have Turtle Beaches/other way to “soundwhore” and decreases the tacticality of crouching while simultaneously ruining the flow of gamplay.
>
> And I don’t give a damn about MLG gametypes. Throwdown wasn’t meant to be an MLG Playlist, it was meant to be a competitive playlist, more akin to older Halos.
>
> I also stated the Motion Tracker could use the more limited range version. People have always still called out locations, because the Motion Tracker doesn’t have infinite range. The low-range Motion Tracker would be beneficial in my opinion.

Lack of visibility of enemies on the motion sensor doesn’t make the Playlist any more competitive than it would be with it on.

Of course it does. Working with your team is a huge part of it and you don’t need to work together nearly as much if the game just tells you where everyone is.

It just makes it less fair for people who don’t have Turtle Beaches/other way to “soundwhore” and decreases the tacticality of crouching while simultaneously ruining the flow of gamplay.

Movement is so ridiculously loud in Halo 4 you can easily hear someone coming with normal TV speakers. Also I’ll tell you what ruins the flow of gameplay: people seeing a dot around a corner and just sitting there, waiting for the other person to be the first one to attack. Either that or people crouchwalk everywhere.

Throwdown wasn’t meant to be an MLG Playlist, it was meant to be a competitive playlist, more akin to older Halos.

ALL of the throwdown settings were made by former MLG pros and the the older Halo games had radar disabled in whatever Hardcore/MLG playlist they had.

You then have to rely on your personal skill and Map Awareness. Make smart moves, not just wonder into areas like most.

> > > > Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
> > > >
> > > > Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
> > > >
> > > > Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.
> > >
> > > You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?
> > >
> > > Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.
> >
> > Well, you obviously haven’t been in the competitive scene before.
> >
> > Having a mic on and communicating with your teammates can prevent all of that by them telling you that stuff. A good teammate will tell you that there are enemies in that room and how many or that there is a player behind you if he sees them.
> >
> > Trust me, my team and I do it in MM and competitions.
>
> Yes, I get that, but what about those of us who don’t have a team to play with, and are matched up with randoms all the time? What are we supposed to do then?

Play any other playlist in the game besides this one?

> > > > Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
> > > >
> > > > Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
> > > >
> > > > Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.
> > >
> > > You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?
> > >
> > > Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.
> >
> > Well, you obviously haven’t been in the competitive scene before.
> >
> > Having a mic on and communicating with your teammates can prevent all of that by them telling you that stuff. A good teammate will tell you that there are enemies in that room and how many or that there is a player behind you if he sees them.
> >
> > Trust me, my team and I do it in MM and competitions.
>
> Yes, I get that, but what about those of us who don’t have a team to play with, and are matched up with randoms all the time? What are we supposed to do then?

^I do this all the time whenever people aren’t on to play with. It’s simple and I’ve said it in a previous post. Looking around with that right joystick will solve a lot of issues you have about radar. #TipOfTheDay

> > > > > Another one of these? How about you just use a mic and play with a team of other people with mics? Having a motion sensor for any non-FFA playlist just makes people crouch walk with boltshots and throw grenades around corners when they see a person coming.
> > > > >
> > > > > Have you ever played CTF on Adrift with a radar? It’s awful. I understand that some people basically want a version of Throwdown with a full radar, but that’s too specific for it to warrant it’s own playlist like some people want.
> > > > >
> > > > > Calling out is a big part of competitive Halo, which is the whole point of Throwdown.
> > > >
> > > > You make it sound so simple, though it’s anything but that. Most players don’t use mics, so wearing one won’t make any difference. In addition, how would wearing a mic stop a guy from running up to you from behind and assassinating you? Or stop you from walking into a room filled with enemies and getting annihilated instantly?
> > > >
> > > > Honestly, the playlist is just frustrating with these settings. Sure, it’s “competitive” this way, but when many players hate the playlist due to the radar being non-functional, it shows that there’s a problem. The Halo 3 ranked playlists had radar, so why can’t this? Or at least, give us a regular classic playlist that has radar for those of us who want the good old Team BRs gametype, but don’t want to deal with the lack of a proper radar.
> > >
> > > Well, you obviously haven’t been in the competitive scene before.
> > >
> > > Having a mic on and communicating with your teammates can prevent all of that by them telling you that stuff. A good teammate will tell you that there are enemies in that room and how many or that there is a player behind you if he sees them.
> > >
> > > Trust me, my team and I do it in MM and competitions.
> >
> > Yes, I get that, but what about those of us who don’t have a team to play with, and are matched up with randoms all the time? What are we supposed to do then?
>
> ^I do this all the time whenever people aren’t on to play with. It’s simple and I’ve said it in a previous post. Looking around with that right joystick will solve a lot of issues you have about radar. #TipOfTheDay

The more you know!