Active Reload

I see a lot of people asking about the return of button combos in Halo 4. I don’t think they belong within a firefight (BXR) but reloading is a different story. Allowing a player to perform a task, pressing a button at a specific time, which gives the benefit of a faster reload, is good. It causes the player to make strategic decisions. It’s similar to Sprinting. Should I sprint in and sacrifice my ability to immediately shoot or move in slowly while being able to shoot anytime. Should I try to perform an active reload or should I keep my eyes on my reticle and just wait for a normal reload.

Should there be an updated reload mechanic?

> I see a lot of people asking about the return of button combos in Halo 4. I don’t think they belong within a firefight (BXR) but reloading is a different story. Allowing a player to perform a task, pressing a button at a specific time, which gives the benefit of a faster reload, is good. It causes the player to make strategic decisions. It’s similar to Sprinting. Should I sprint in and sacrifice my ability to immediately shoot or move in slowly while being able to shoot anytime. Should I try to perform an active reload or should I keep my eyes on my reticle and just wait for a normal reload.
>
> Should there be an updated reload mechanic?

That’s one of the few gameplay mechanics that I dislike in Gears. You shouldn’t be able to reload faster by simply pressing a button.

It’s not simply pressing a button. It is pressing a button at the correct time. Also, that time is randomized so you can’t just get one pattern down.

> It’s not simply pressing a button. It is pressing a button at the correct time. Also, that time is randomized so you can’t just get one pattern down.

Same thing, IMO. And I agree, no player should have a reload advantage over another player. I also didn’t like that about GoW.

> It’s not simply pressing a button. It is pressing a button at the correct time. Also, that time is randomized so you can’t just get one pattern down.

Hm I still would dislike this. You said that the time would be randomized and that’s one problem. If there is a 1vs1 in a match with AR’s or other spray weapons the guy who could reload his weapon faster would have a significant benefit than his opponent. So this mechanic would be based on luck and that’s the wrong direction for Halo I think.

Active reload is actually quite a silly mechanic. Just picture it this way:

If you hit the button at the correct time it means you reload your weapon quickly and without error. Something that every halfway battle-hardened soldier ought to pull off in his sleep. And that’s exactly the kind of character we’re playing.

If you don’t hit the button at the correct time then you’re an idiot who can’t reload his weapon even though you’re still a battle-hardened soldier.

In gears it’s really easy to do, so therefore pointless. If it was hard people would complain. Try again

If you play Gears active reloads become second nature so they are not that hard to do. 1 out of every 10 or 15 times I will mess one up. It just adds a small “tide turner” if someone gets their active reload and their enemy missed it can allow them to come back from behind in a gunfight.

Reload times are usually pretty fast in Halo in the first place, so we really wouldn’t need active reload. Unless you have a power weapon, that’s obviously for balancing reasons.

> Reload times are usually pretty fast in Halo in the first place, so we really wouldn’t need active reload. Unless you have a power weapon, that’s obviously for balancing reasons.

Reload times could be increased a bit to encourage the use of active reload. I was even thinking of only having it on precision weapons. This way there are three unique reload scenarios:

1. Press reload and don’t attempt an active reload = medium time
  2. Press reload and successfully perform an active reload = least time
  3. Press reload and attempt an active reload but fail = most time

Truthfully I don’t see a need for active reload, most weapons already reload incredibly fast (like the needler), and somewhat slow reload times is what forces people to use their clips accurately and sparingly.

why do people want halo to be like other games??? this is to much like GoW, i say no…