Active Camo, annoying anyone else?

After how Halo Reach turned out I am surprised that Active Camo is still available in Halo 4 as an armor ability. Honestly they removed armor lock because it was so annoying but kept Active Camo which was just as bad? I keep searching for Infinity Slayer matches and 4/5 games I get matched up in are against full teams using Active Camo which as you can imagine is incredibly frustrating. You could say “just use promethean vision” or “use it yourself then” but promethean vision is not very good at all against camo users, by the time you pick them up with it they already have the first shot in and are already certain to win the fight. Secondly I shouldn’t have to use Active Camo to counter this, I should be able to play the way I want too. In addition it is incredibly annoying how people rush power weapons at the start of games and just sit in Active Camo until they run out of ammo and in some scenarios just call in more Ordinance and just sit there the entire match without having to move.

Active Camo used to be good as a pick up as you could only use it a certain amount of times in a match and players would be fighting over it, in Halo 4 all it does is promote more camping like in Reach. There is no fun in fighting a team of invisible enemies, this is the first time I’ve actually turned off my Xbox because something has annoyed me so much. I’m not short tempered or a “rager” at all, I’ve put up with many horrendous situations like all my team quitting on Reach and me facing a full team countless times. I think I’ll just wait until the new Spartan Ops is released, at least then I can actually have some fun.

TLDR - I think Active Camo needs to be removed as an armor ability in Halo 5, it just doesn’t work well as an ability. I wouldn’t mind seeing it return as an Ordinance drop as it would fit in well with other power ups obtainable through Ordinance drops such as Damage Boost, Overshield and Speed Boost.

In game scenarios that I believe show my points in action:
[/li]- On Complex, people camp the Roofs with DMRs and Camo which make it quite frustrating to both navigate the map and spot and take them out.

• On Solace, people spawn and rush the Sniper spawn with Camo so they can sit invisible then camp with the Sniper until they run out of ammo
  • On Ragnarok, people camp the bases with Camo and the Sniper and just sit until their ammo runs out, the Sniper respawns or until they can call in more Ordinance
  • On Ragnarok, People camp the pelican with Camo and DMRS and make it frustrating for the enemy team to take them out as they move back and forth from the pelican to caves for cover.
  • On Haven, people camp the jumps, stairs and top mid with Camo and make it frustrating for enemy teams to advance and push the top mid as each side is covered with an invisible enemy.
  • Any map on Dominion, people camp bases with the Boltshot and Camo and just wait for anyone to try and capture the base. Yes this one can be easily countered but it doesn’t make it any less annoying especially when half or more of the team is doing it together.
  • To those “use your radar” and “its easy to counter” guys:*
    Taking notice of your radar is pointless in most situations when facing someone with Active Camo, especially with the size of maps in this game. Camping on roofs on complex with DMRs and Camo, you have no time to react and they are obviously out of radar range. Camping on the pelican on Ragnarok with Camo and DMR, the chances are you aren’t close enough to have him on radar range. Back at the Ragnarok base with the Sniper and Camo, waiting for your ammo to run out then pick up the respawned Sniper or just call in ordinance.

People who just say “its easy to counter” or “just use your radar” really should take more notice of the game. Its only easy to counter IF the person using it is dumb enough for you to be able to counter it. Secondly like I said most combat scenarios I have come across have been outside radar range which makes the radar useless.

It’s easy to counter. Just pay more attention to the radar.

> It’s easy to counter. Just pay more attention to the radar.

They aren’t always within radar range

Each AA has it’s flaws and weaknesses and you can easily avoid and counter most of them.

Learn to play better, OP.

I for one find Camo pretty easy to counter. The radar jammer is so useless I actually use it to pinpoint the enemy not get confused by it. often times the opponent is just around a corner or hidden to regen shields and I easily take them out. I don’t even bother using it because it is very easy to counter.

When I come accross an opponent that actually uses it to get me I’m actually impressed.

> Each AA has it’s flaws and weaknesses and you can easily avoid and counter most of them.
>
> Learn to play better, OP.

Why is it that when some one has a disputed point with this game peoples responses are always “don’t suck so much” or “learn to play better”. I play just fine. My thread is about how it annoys me and the fact I think an ability that renders you invisible is just as bad as one that renders you invincible and shouldn’t feature as a spawnable ability.

> I for one find Camo pretty easy to counter. The radar jammer is so useless I actually use it to pinpoint the enemy not get confused by it. often times the opponent is just around a corner or hidden to regen shields and I easily take them out. I don’t even bother using it because it is very easy to counter.
>
> When I come accross an opponent that actually uses it to get me I’m actually impressed.

Usually I can counter them pretty efficiently but when I keep getting teamed up against full teams using it it can become quite difficult to counter. Its like playing a game of ghost busters, each person trying to hide and get the first shot.

> > Each AA has it’s flaws and weaknesses and you can easily avoid and counter most of them.
> >
> > Learn to play better, OP.
>
> Why is it that when some one has a disputed point with this game peoples responses are always “don’t suck so much” or “learn to play better”. I play just fine. My thread is about how it annoys me and the fact I think an ability that renders you invisible is just as bad as one that renders you invincible and shouldn’t feature as a spawnable ability.

People are elitists and that’s the only response they have because they measure their level of success by a video game. I also think it’s annoying but when people use it I just use it back and sneak up on them.

Good point with Camo players rushing power weapons. This was much less of a prob in Reach because Sprinters would always get there first. Now sprint is default, camo get’s there just as quickly.

Well, OP, he has a point. I do not find it difficult because I can exploit camo to my favor because I am an experienced player and maybe you just need more experience fighting against someone using camo. At the same time the AA can use some tweaking, I will give you that.

I know it’s not the most ideal solution, but you should consider avoiding Tryhard Slayer in general. I’ve had games go for minutes at a time with no kills simply because one team didn’t want to walk into another team’s ‘surprise’ traps. It’s pretty much either that or, some area of the map erupts in a flurry of rockets and incineration; rinse, repeat. Needless to say, the entertainment value quickly turns to useless monotony.

> Good point with Camo players rushing power weapons. This was much less of a prob in Reach because Sprinters would always get there first. Now sprint is default, camo get’s there just as quickly.

I don’t think 343 thought about this, in Reach it was annoying when someone using Active Camo got the Sniper for obvious reasons but these occasions were rarer because as you said Sprinters would always get there first.

An example of how annoying this is in Halo 4 is on Solace, everyone spawns with Active Camo at the beginning of the match to try and get the Snipers that spawnin the Sniper towers.

Camo has always been and should always be a pick-up powerup. I honestly don’t understand why it’s still an AA.

I know it’s annoying when people use a particular ability or tactic to the extreme, but that’s online gaming - it’s full of annoying people doing lots of annoying things. Look on the bright side, at least you’re not up against a whole team using armour lock.

In Reach it worked because the maps were smaller.

With all these large maps, camo has some additional benefits.

> > > Each AA has it’s flaws and weaknesses and you can easily avoid and counter most of them.
> > >
> > > Learn to play better, OP.
> >
> > Why is it that when some one has a disputed point with this game peoples responses are always “don’t suck so much” or “learn to play better”. I play just fine. My thread is about how it annoys me and the fact I think an ability that renders you invisible is just as bad as one that renders you invincible and shouldn’t feature as a spawnable ability.
>
> People are elitists and that’s the only response they have because they measure their level of success by a video game. I also think it’s annoying but when people use it I just use it back and sneak up on them.

They aren’t elitist, the fact is both players that made such remarks in this thread are both really bad. Most of the people who say things aren’t OP or are easily countered and present no real problem are the same people using said exploit to finally get a kill.

If they are going to call it active camouflage make it camouflage… not pure invisibility. I’ve never raged so hard in all of my Halo life… whenever I take one of the camo -Yoinks!- out they get teabagged to the max.

It easy to counter but still annoying as hell. I’ll never understand why you can have a power up at the touch of a button. Thought they learned from Reach…I was wrong.

> I know it’s annoying when people use a particular ability or tactic to the extreme, but that’s online gaming - it’s full of annoying people doing lots of annoying things. Look on the bright side, at least you’re not up against a whole team using armour lock.

LOL this may be the truest thing I have even seen posted on this forum. Armor lock was terrible and actually let not as good players beat more skilled players

I do find Active camo to be annoying but mostly it doesn’t seem that bad to me. It’s no where near as annoying as Armor lock was in Reach. One thing that I have used to counter someone using Active Camo is to use the hologram. Hologram seems to be much improved in H4 from the Reach version and I almost always have somebody fall for it vs. in Reach it only worked about 1/3 of the time. Send in the hologram to an area where the cloakers were last and when they start to shoot your distracting hologram then you can get the jump on them first.