Active Camo and Scrambler Idea

I don’t know about you guys but I never much liked the Active Camo ability in Reach.

Giving someone an invisibility ability from spawn was always going to be a delicate proposition so of course it needed some significant drawbacks. Bungie decided first off to mute game audio- well ok fair enough. Secondly they nerfed the invisibility such that it only made you invisible when you were standing perfectly still- the result, it definitely hindered AC users but it also promoted slow pace, campy style gameplay which I will never condone in a Halo game. And lastly they added a radar scramble feature- which alerted enemies that a AC user was near and scrambled the users own radar but equally if used intelligently it could conceal the user and the user’s allies positions and movement such that in the right hands could be considered an asset not a nerf.

Active Camo was a flawed AA in my opinion and I don’t think should stand the transition into Halo4 in its current form. The easy solution is to bring it back as a power up like the ‘good old days’ but like it or loath it Armour abilities are in Halo4 and promethean vision probably needs some counters. Power ups to my knowledge will only exist in personal ordinance drops in Infinity slayer as well as most likely in classic/ barebones gametypes and let’s face it Promethean vision needs some counters in regular War Games gametypes as well.

My solution- bring Active camo back as an armour ability but balanced in a whole new way.

Firstly divide the functionality of Reach’s AC into two distinct armour abilities. Stealth and Scrambler.

Stealth: Nerf the movement invis fade feature such that it only really effects sprinting with camo. Shorten the duration of the ability and increase the abilities recharge time. Remove the jammer ability such that movement still gives away exact location on radar just like active camo of old but doesn’t inform nearby enemies that you are a stealth user. Have it make the user invisible to PV. BUT… and this is a big but… have it effectively replace the users shields. If the user decides to activate Stealth they do so at the risk of becoming vulnerable… but still… well… invisible. And shields only begin to recharge the instant Stealth is deactivated. Also if the user shoots a weapon or is shot they should also become temporally more visible and enemies’ auto aim should temporarily work again when aiming at them.

Scrambler: The radar feature as it was in reach is probably a bit underwhelming when compared to the likes of the jet pack and PV so I suggest a bit of a buff. When activated it could emit either a proximity disruption field or a single disruptive pulse that has a lasting temporary scrambling effect on your enemies within say… about radar range. Instead of it just creating ghost radar readings maybe it could scramble all electronic features on the hud display. It could create a static jittery effect making radar and shield readings unreliable as well as icons and indicators. Also it could deactivate or disrupt enemy armour abilities. Having jet pack users fall from the skies might be a bit much (although funny) but maybe it could disrupt decoys, reveal nearby invisible players and scramble promethean vision to such a point it is temporally incomprehensible.

You mean Active Camo, not Stalker. Stalker is a specialisation.

Scrambler would be cool, but would also need balancing as well.

Camo as an AA simply limits the sandbox to weapon pickups. It was a terrible move in Reach, and 343 would be wise to bring powerups back.

> You mean Active Camo, not Stalker. Stalker is a specialisation.
>
> Scrambler would be cool, but would also need balancing as well.

Sorry yes your right. The load out name with the active camo ability back in the beta was called Stalker and it kind of stuck for me because… well for me at least active camo = a power up and so I subconsciously gave the AC AA the name Stalker to differentiate the two. I will modify my OP

343i have already stated that Promethean vision will have armour ability counters (Rock paper scissors or something like that) and none of the abilities that I have heard released so far really fit that bill to me. Hard light shield, thrusters pack, jet pack, regen field, auto sentry. Maybe hologram is a weak counter and the stalker armour mod can maybe counter it a bit too but we have seen nothing substantial yet.

Something people must bear in mind also is the fact power ups do not feature in war-games slayer and such if there are no hard AA counters to PV, PV then may be a bit OP.

For a barebones version of Infinity Slayer I would say Active camo power ups is a great idea (Power Slayer maybe). But to remove the active camo AA completely from War-games in my opinion would be disastrous for gameplay in games without power ups.

I like your idea, but it should keep the radar jamming, so you can know if someone invisible is close, but it shouldn’t be a damn circle of red dots telling you exactly where he is like in reach. It should be an effect that intensifies itself the closer they are.

And I love the idea of removing your shield while using it!

Active camo should be an AA for custom games and campaign. But for hardcore matchmaking, should be a power-up.

Would be hard to give up my health for an AA. Wish I could try it though buddy.

It appears op has played Mass Effect ie no shield recharge while cloaked.

I for one have always though invisibility was best utilized as a pick up power and not an ability. There needs to be balance to discourage cloaked sniping which by all accounts is insanely cheap. All it took was one game of everyone using cloak to realize how broken and boring cloak can be. IMO there should never be more than one user with cloak at any given time in a match.

When I think Hardcore Halo I think no armour abilities, no loadouts. In which case power ups are perfect but seeing as 343 have chosen to expand upon the custom loadout idea and AA’s some additional AA options are in order I think. Promethean vision is a potential game breaker in my opinion and as of yet there have been no real counter revealed yet. Without abilities such as Stealth and Scrambler I don’t think the AA sandbox will be balanced. With Active camo only existing in Infinity slayer all the other gametypes will be broken in my opinion. I would hate for 343’s Vanilla playlists to flop just because they did not fully commit to AAs because popular opinion calls for active camo pickups.

> It appears op has played Mass Effect ie no shield recharge while cloaked.
>
> I for one have always though invisibility was best utilized as a pick up power and not an ability. There needs to be balance to discourage cloaked sniping which by all accounts is insanely cheap. All it took was one game of everyone using cloak to realize how broken and boring cloak can be. IMO there should never be more than one user with cloak at any given time in a match.

How about the second you shoot it knocks you out of cloak and burns the entire AA meter such that it is only possible to fire one sniper shot whilst invisible at the cost of temporarily wasting the ability.

> When I think Hardcore Halo I think no armour abilities, no loadouts. In which case power ups are perfect but seeing as 343 have chosen to expand upon the custom loadout idea and AA’s some additional AA options are in order I think. Promethean vision is a potential game breaker in my opinion and as of yet there have been no real counter revealed yet. Without abilities such as Stealth and Scrambler I don’t think the AA sandbox will be balanced. With Active camo only existing in Infinity slayer all the other gametypes will be broken in my opinion. I would hate for 343’s Vanilla playlists to flop just because they did not fully commit to AAs because popular opinion calls for active camo pickups.

While I agree, PV maybe over powered as most wall hacks are. I don’t think camo is the answer to balancing it. A team of cloaked infiltrators is game breaking IMO. A better solution is to tweek PV with a handicap/limitation or come up with another counter ability.

> > It appears op has played Mass Effect ie no shield recharge while cloaked.
> >
> > I for one have always though invisibility was best utilized as a pick up power and not an ability. There needs to be balance to discourage cloaked sniping which by all accounts is insanely cheap. All it took was one game of everyone using cloak to realize how broken and boring cloak can be. IMO there should never be more than one user with cloak at any given time in a match.
>
> How about the second you shoot it knocks you out of cloak and burns the entire AA meter such that it is only possible to fire one sniper shot whilst invisible at the cost of temporarily wasting the ability.

You still get the first shot off and the jump on your target. Coming out off cloak and not being able to reengauge the ability immediately should be a given no doubt but I still can’t fathom cloak as a balanced ability without a major draw back such as 50% shield or something. Even then the survivability is probabily too good.

I thought camo was one of the best AA’s in TU Reach. It’s how an armor ability should be, a simple advantage with a lot of trade offs. I personally find camo very easy to counter, and would prefer it staying an armor ability.

> I thought camo was one of the best AA’s in TU Reach. It’s how an armor ability should be, a simple advantage with a lot of trade offs. I personally find camo very easy to counter, and would prefer it staying an armor ability.

Play a game with all camo users in Reach and see how entertaining it is. And yes, you are correct Camo is one of the best AA is reach because it’s op.

> Play a game with all camo users in Reach and see how entertaining it is. And yes, you are correct Camo is one of the best AA is reach because it’s op.

I’ve yet to play a game where I’ve seen more than one camo user. It’s not very widely used.

And I’ve played a lot of Reach.

> > Play a game with all camo users in Reach and see how entertaining it is. And yes, you are correct Camo is one of the best AA is reach because it’s op.
>
> I’ve yet to play a game where I’ve seen more than one camo user. It’s not very widely used.
>
> And I’ve played a lot of Reach.

Your argument is a failasy, just because it does not occurs often does not meant it cannot happen. There is a reason camo is not in arena. Competative players could and would exploit its’ over powered uses.

How about camo users just appear on the radar? When they shoot their camo starts to shimmer?

> > > Play a game with all camo users in Reach and see how entertaining it is. And yes, you are correct Camo is one of the best AA is reach because it’s op.
> >
> > I’ve yet to play a game where I’ve seen more than one camo user. It’s not very widely used.
> >
> > And I’ve played a lot of Reach.
>
> Your argument is a failasy, just because it does not occurs often does not meant it cannot happen. There is a reason camo is not in arena. Competative players could and would exploit its’ over powered uses.

Now that sprint is default AA usage will become more prevalent. Frankly most people I think didn’t realise or chose not to exploit the game breaking potential of AC. It was massively underrated. If I was going to rate the competitive merit of the AAs in Reach I would order it: Jet Pack, Active Camo, Sprint, Bubble shield, Armour lock then a significant gap then Hologram. But that is at a highly competitive level. Sprint and AL were probably the easiest AAs too master and on the most part saw the most usage.

> Camo as an AA simply limits the sandbox to weapon pickups. It was a terrible move in Reach, and 343 would be wise to bring powerups back.

Agreed having the ability to be camo ever 30 seconds at the puch of a button is a terrible idea.

They should return as power ups on the maps ONLY