Achievement based armor Vs credit armor

Achievement based armour sets were a good time in halo 3…hopefully they are incorporated into the game along side the credit system, so that outstanding achievements give people something to stand out with. as opposed to everyone being able to buy any armour they want.

Can’t say I agree. The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy. Instead I would suggest that unlocking an achievement awards the player with credits.

> The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy.

It’s not a big deal to me at all if the armor is purely aesthetic. I don’t really care how difficult or time-consuming aesthetics are to earn because I can choose to just not do them and my gameplay experience will not be degraded.

What I don’t like is the way Destiny requires you to play each of the game’s various modes in order to use gameplay-impacting equipment. For example, you might obtain an awesome weapon from a PvE matchmade Strike, but in order to upgrade it to use what makes it awesome, you have to farm materials in the explore mode. Perhaps you might find a quest while soloing, but it requires you to complete a non-matchmaking co-op activity.

Thanks for the input guys,
I was definitely thinking to have both, not just achievement based because of basically what you said.
Also, if it is the balanced shooter many people are waiting for I don’t think we’re going to have too much game play impacting equipment. So we will see I guess!

> Can’t say I agree. The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy. Instead I would suggest that unlocking an achievement awards the player with credits.

exactly this: take a page from how more recent call of duty does things. Instead of being forced to unlock things you may not want, you get the money to choose to pick what you want to unlock, when you want to unlock it.

> > Can’t say I agree. The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy. Instead I would suggest that unlocking an achievement awards the player with credits.
>
> exactly this: take a page from how more recent call of duty does things. Instead of being forced to unlock things you may not want, you get the money to choose to pick what you want to unlock, when you want to unlock it.

You’re forgetting though, about one of the things that made the call of duty modern warfare such a good game. Getting to higher levels to unlock those weapons you have been craving.
In a time where instant gratification is such a huge part of our culture it would be refreshing to have something to work toward that’s harder than just playing 20 games and then buying it.

I personally would love to see a specific armour for completing campaign on legendary, or for getting a killtacular or a perfection medal in ranked multiplayer.

that being said alongside these few sets of "
Achievement based armour I guess you could call it, the credit system should be used as well…I think it would bring some of what made halo 3 great back. Like I said instant gratification is becoming far too rampant and you can see it in so many games now.

> > > Can’t say I agree. The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy. Instead I would suggest that unlocking an achievement awards the player with credits.
> >
> > exactly this: take a page from how more recent call of duty does things. Instead of being forced to unlock things you may not want, you get the money to choose to pick what you want to unlock, when you want to unlock it.
>
> You’re forgetting though, about one of the things that made the call of duty modern warfare such a good game. Getting to higher levels to unlock those weapons you have been craving.
> In a time where instant gratification is such a huge part of our culture it would be refreshing to have something to work toward that’s harder than just playing 20 games and then buying it.
>
> I personally would love to see a specific armour for completing campaign on legendary, or for getting a killtacular or a perfection medal in ranked multiplayer.
>
> that being said alongside these few sets of "
> Achievement based armour I guess you could call it, the credit system should be used as well…I think it would bring some of what made halo 3 great back. Like I said instant gratification is becoming far too rampant and you can see it in so many games now.

you misunderstoo what I was suggesting. If you reward people with credits for doing challenges (yes, like beating the game on legendary) and you make the armor that’s more special cost more, then you have to do more challenges to save up enough to get it. I never suggested it should still be a per-game xp system.

As long as the Mark V isn’t an achievement one then I’m perfectly fine with that. I liked getting the Mark VI for beating the campaign on legendary.

I’d agree with you. It would be awesome to tote about new armour and tell others how hard you worked to unlock a really badass set. That said, not everything should be an achievement unlock.

60% should be armour that can be earned via credits and bought.

40% should be unlocked only via achievements, allowing players access to most armour, but saving the extra sweet stuff for the players who are ballsey enough to try tasks of legendary…ness.

> I’d agree with you. It would be awesome to tote about new armour and tell others how hard you worked to unlock a really badass set. That said, not everything should be an achievement unlock.
>
> 60% should be armour that can be earned via credits and bought.
>
> 40% should be unlocked only via achievements, allowing players access to most armour, but saving the extra sweet stuff for the players who are ballsey enough to try tasks of legendary…ness.

Sounds good. I like this idea. Unlocking mainline armor trough normal playing, and unlocking some pretty bad-yoink-, unique, special looking armor by doing something difficult.

Achievements could feel rewarding again.

I thini this idea is better because the armount of armor pieces is far more than the number of achievements a game normally has.

> > The achievement based system of unlocking this was far too restrictive. It meant you had to do one thing in particular to get an armor you want, forcing people to play in ways they may not enjoy.
>
> It’s not a big deal to me at all if the armor is purely aesthetic. I don’t really care how difficult or time-consuming aesthetics are to earn because <mark>I can choose to just not do them and my gameplay experience will not be degraded</mark>.
>
> What I don’t like is the way Destiny requires you to play each of the game’s various modes in order to use gameplay-impacting equipment. For example, you might obtain an awesome weapon from a PvE matchmade Strike, but in order to upgrade it to use what makes it awesome, you have to farm materials in the explore mode. Perhaps you might find a quest while soloing, but it requires you to complete a non-matchmaking co-op activity.

I hear what your saying vector and I agree to a point. The problem with achievement based or the way halo 4 did it, was that people will work on just doing that then actually playing the match.

Things like kill 20 guys with PP or something… I don’t mind any type of system as long as it’s campaign only but to me the credit system works best, but if there going to do that that there can’t be “challenges” for things like kill x amount of players in a match with a certain gun. Online challenges should just be wins or things like kill steaks. All other challenges should be campaign or firefight or whatever else they have in.

If they do the credit system this way, I feel like it’s fine and we wont have some dam kid running around trying to get 5 air assassinations or using the PP only or something like I saw SO much in halo 4 which drove me nuts. Didn’t matter if they were on my team or not. It made matches boring.

I am not opposed to there being a few rare armours that are EXTREMLY hard to get and I mean extremely!!! for ex. beat the game on the hardest mode single player all skulls on. Things like things.

To me this is the best way. People who don’t care what they look like will not get there online experience ruined and people who do still can get work towards this.

I want halo to get away from this whole “your rewarded for just showing up” garbage.

> Achievement based armour sets were a good time in halo 3…hopefully they are incorporated into the game along side the credit system, so that outstanding achievements give people something to stand out with. as opposed to everyone being able to buy any armour they want.

If the armor in question is purely aesthetic then it should be credit based imo. If it does something but does not affect gameplay much then it should be credit based but takes more time to unlock or something like that. If it does something and affects gameplay more it should be achievement based since not everyone goes for the achievements.

I am one such person who usually does not care for achievements but if I have a game that has just one achievement left for me to get then I will basically say oh well, might as well get that achievement in my head.

Take Skyrim for example: In that game I have 70 of 75 of its achievements. I might as well try for the other five right?

If the person is not actively trying for the achievement but still unlocks it then they still deserve it. If said achievement unlocks armor they still get the armor. They don’t have to use it if they don’t want to though.

> I hear what your saying vector and I agree to a point. The problem with achievement based or the way halo 4 did it, was that people will work on just doing that then actually playing the match.
>
> Things like kill 20 guys with PP or something…

To me, that’s a separate issue. Nothing, not rewards, unlocks, achievements, or anything else, should ever require players to play against the flow or spirit of the game. No one should ever be rewarded for playing the game in a way that degrades the performance of the team or experience of other players.

Acceptable:
Win 5 multiplayer matchmaking games
Reach SR-25
Complete Campaign on Legendary

Unacceptable:
Assassinate an enemy who’s in zoom mode (luck-based, encourages boosting)
Survive three vehicle explosions in a row with the Survivor package (encourages players to sacrifice their team’s vehicles)
Effectively camp one location without dying for a full 60 seconds ('nuff said)

> > I hear what your saying vector and I agree to a point. The problem with achievement based or the way halo 4 did it, was that people will work on just doing that then actually playing the match.
> >
> > Things like kill 20 guys with PP or something…
>
> To me, that’s a separate issue. Nothing, not rewards, unlocks, achievements, or anything else, should ever require players to play against the flow or spirit of the game. No one should ever be rewarded for playing the game in a way that degrades the performance of the team or experience of other players.
>
> Acceptable:
> Win 5 multiplayer matchmaking games
> Reach SR-25
> Complete Campaign on Legendary
>
> Unacceptable:
> Assassinate an enemy who’s in zoom mode (luck-based, encourages boosting)
> Survive three vehicle explosions in a row with the Survivor package (encourages players to sacrifice their team’s vehicles)
> Effectively camp one location without dying for a full 60 seconds ('nuff said)

It might be a separate issue, your right. I agree with what you said there (your ex.) I think were on the same page. We seem to be in almost all of our posts anyways, lol

> Acceptable:
> Win 5 multiplayer matchmaking games
> Reach SR-25
> Complete Campaign on Legendary
>
> Unacceptable:
> Assassinate an enemy who’s in zoom mode (luck-based, encourages boosting)
> Survive three vehicle explosions in a row with the Survivor package (encourages players to sacrifice their team’s vehicles)
> Effectively camp one location without dying for a full 60 seconds ('nuff said)

Hope 343i reads this.

I say Achievement based, 7 days of the week and twice on Sundays. I hate having to buy my customizations, I want to earn them and do so in a way that I don’t feel buyer’s remorse when I buy one thing then wish I’d bought another.

if the achievements arent in multiplayer i’m fine with achievement based unlocks otherwise i say stick with a currency based one.

Achievement locked customization yields biased results, Security is an awesome variant but with the bugs working in-situ rank-up made it less worth the trouble… Given that all or almost every achievement unlocked to keep the shoulders, that’s an awkward moment when my Halo Wars style Spartan gets knocked down one detail.

The huge problem I have with unlocks that have specific unlock requirements is that what I like and what I want to show off are two different things. If I wear what I like, I won’t feel like my character accurately represents me and my accomplishments as a player. If I wear what I want to show off, I I won’t really like how my character looks.