According to IGN, Master Chief is the most overrated Video Game character...

[(http://stars.ign.com/articles/976/976353p5.html)] So, IGN posted]([http://stars.ign.com/articles/976/976353p5.html) a top 10 most over rated Video Game Characters on their site. The post says:

> Why he’s overrated: Given the pedigree of some of the yahoos on this list, we’re almost surprised you went with Master Chief as the most overrated character in gaming. But who are we to argue with the readers?
>
> Granted, the hubbub over Master Chief is disconcerting at times. Halo fans make this Spartan soldier out to be a paragon of storytelling greatness, but really - what is there underneath all that armor to warrant such praise? Chief rarely even talks, much less offers up compelling nuggets of drama. Half the time he could be swapped out with Gordon Freeman and gamers wouldn’t know the difference.
>
> No, the truth of the matter is that 95% of what makes Halo so enduringly popular is not exclusively tied to its hero, but rather to its multiplayer mode. The other 5% is the catchy theme music. At the end of the day, Master Chief is just a generic action hero riding on the coat tails of a much better game.

Anyone else completely disagree with IGN?

In a gaming world of mustache wielding plumbers, yellow crescent shapped gobbling creatures and other oddities, I don’t think MC is nearly the most overrated character by far.

IGN is just halo hating because they know he’s popular.

IGN is overrated.

No I don’t agree.
Reason why!

We have played Halo games with the Multiplayer and Music that IGN state. ODST and Reach.
Neither felt nearly as compelling as when your in control of the Chief.

Overated my backside.

I would go as far to say that because he has little vocals and because we don’t see his emotion (we do feel it though) that MC is on of not only one of the most under rated characters but also one of the most understated.

I will use the old but true joke that you can’t spell ignorant without ign.

> I will use the old but true joke that you can’t spell ignorant without ign.

^you sir have just made my day :slight_smile:

I’ve stopped reading IGN’s stuff on Halo a long time ago. They really don’t know anything

I suppose that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But IGN have been posting a lot of “troll” articles in order to increase hits on their site. And guess what? It works!

I thought IGN used to like halo the franchise, giving all their games positive reviews, front page stories, multiple video exclusives on the game and being made Media partner with 343i’s for HALO fest!?! How can they recieve this privalage then say the main character is over rated and bad mouth him!?!

okey thats just BS with the appeal only being multiplayer and music, if that was true than why did millions of people buy halo CE for it’s campaign.

their logic=flawed

They’re just jealous because Master Chief is more popular than they are.

And top it off, IGN is hosting that halo page for halofest! Talk about ironic. Plus, Halo Ce didn’t have true multiplayer in the sense that it’s not over live, yet it was still a pretty good game… Chief isn’t supposed to be dramatic. the characters around him are. Honestly though. I always thought that Halo was a kind of generic game, but it’s a shining example of shooter ganes any way you look at it.

Completely agree. Chief is the most one sided, shallow character in the history of fiction. Space Marine in green armor…wait a minute, chief is the guy from DOOM! Not to mention he only ever spouts one liners ala Duke Nukem, and is apparently limited since cortana seems to feel the need to explain things to him that are -Yoinking!- obvious.

Seriously, if you think Chief is anything but the videogame version of Steven Segal, then you are incredibly deluded…

> okey thats just BS with the appeal only being multiplayer and music, if that was true than why did millions of people buy halo CE for it’s campaign.
>
> their logic=flawed

A large amount of people DID lug around xboxes and play system link, a tradition my friends and I STILL share once a month.

Mario never talks in some of his games, Pac-man can only go wagga wagga wagga.

Halo is one of the greatest franchises and what green soldier do we see all over gaming magazines with like of Mario and Sonic? Master Chief.

IGN also state that multiplayer and the music is the main reason people play it.

The campaign is one of the main reasons I bought the games Halo CE and Halo 2 (I played Halo 3 first). How can they even say that when they say it has a good campaign in other reviews.

You all are mad at IGN for calling Chief this, claiming they don’t know what or who he really is, and that they don’t know he really has character.

Well, the article, and this thread topic is ‘Most overrated Video Game character’. Chief is a really great character in the books in my opinion but he is just as IGN said in the games…the games. A walking tank who hardly even spouts one liners and shows no emotion.

As a Newscorp-owned business, I disagree with everything and anything that is IGN.

> Completely agree. Chief is the most one sided, shallow character in the history of fiction. Space Marine in green armor…wait a minute, chief is the guy from DOOM! Not to mention he only ever spouts one liners ala Duke Nukem, and is apparently limited since cortana seems to feel the need to explain things to him that are Yoink! obvious.
>
> Seriously, if you think Chief is anything but the videogame version of Steven Segal, then you are incredibly deluded…

Um so because one character’s armour is green they most be copying them, so Samus is copying Marvel having a guess.

Also Chief does spout one liners but he doesn’t do it all the time like Duke Nukem and is heavily serious about the situation at hand.

Cortana is there for new people who don’t understand where to go, so thats for gameplay also the Chief lived for ages without Cortana being in his brain so that isn’t even a point.

Your first point, no he is not shallow he has a past and if you read the books you would understand his charcter definitely isn’t.

IGN is overrated. They’re pretty stupid at times, sometimes to the point of hilarity. I remember looking at TOR and a lot of their previews just made me laugh on the floor. Mis-informed, they were. XD