Access to PMs when banned

Are we ever going to see this happen?

When I’m banned I want to see why I got banned because most of the time what I think got me banned isn’t what got me banned in the first place. Plus I can’t talk to the mod that banned me or try appeal said ban. By the time I’m unbanned it’s pointless to try do anything about it at that point.

There is nothing wrong with having access to PMs when banned.

I think my fellow mod, Cobb, has said it best

> > Please address this flaw in the system. If it isn’t a flaw, then please explain why this feature was deemed a good thing.
>
> In my experience, people are usually pretty pissed off when they get banned, but tend to have calmed down at least slightly by the time the ban expires.
>
> If they got to read their ban PM immediately after being banned – while in the worst possible state of mind – then some of them would be very likely to form grudges. Forcing them to wait ensures that they read the PM while in a better state of mind, which lowers the probability of them making further trouble in an attempt to vindicate themselves.
>
> That reasoning probably sounds pretty flimsy, but as someone who was once on the receiving end of our ban system, I can tell you that when the idea works, it works very, very well.

EDIT:
Also if you really want to contact us, we usually have our twitter accounts in our sigs (I think I’m the only one that does not), and our usernames here on Waypoint are our gamertags on XBL.

100%

agree with OP on this

> I think my fellow mod, Cobb, has said it best
>
>
>
> > > Please address this flaw in the system. If it isn’t a flaw, then please explain why this feature was deemed a good thing.
> >
> > In my experience, people are usually pretty pissed off when they get banned, but tend to have calmed down at least slightly by the time the ban expires.
> >
> > If they got to read their ban PM immediately after being banned – while in the worst possible state of mind – then some of them would be very likely to form grudges. Forcing them to wait ensures that they read the PM while in a better state of mind, which lowers the probability of them making further trouble in an attempt to vindicate themselves.
> >
> > That reasoning probably sounds pretty flimsy, but as someone who was once on the receiving end of our ban system, I can tell you that when the idea works, it works very, very well.
>
> EDIT:
> Also if you really want to contact us, we usually have our twitter accounts in our sigs (I think I’m the only one that does not), and our usernames here on Waypoint are our gamertags on XBL.

I find the opposite actually. I can spend a week in the ban-pit while having
no real idea why im there, and thus no chance to reflect on it and come back a better calmer member. Instead, the first time you know what your ‘charges’ are is on ‘release’, and they frequently elicit a reaction of “I got banned for THAT?!” which leads to an unfortunate spike of anger and defiance at the very moment posting rights are regained, which often leads to predictable outcomes

I think mods generally assume that people always know full well why they got banned, which from reading around doesnt seem to be the case at all. Points to a deeper issue perhaps.

My bias: banned lots and lots.