Abusing Gimmicks-Why 343 needs MLG

There’s no doubt that gimmicks help sell games. Trailers from Reach showing jetpacks, Armor Lock, and other features like space in Zealot definitely contributed to the initial success of Reach. However, when these gimmicks are detrimental to gameplay they hurt the longevity of the game.

I figured out how to abuse Reach’s gimmicks pretty quickly. From space camping on Zealot my first day with the game to stayng alive with Armor Lock in Season 3 and pioneering jetpack abuse in Arena Season 7 I often had a leg up on my competition. It was fun initially to get the rage messages after abusing Reach’s gimmicks, but once the competition learns to abuse the game the skill-gap becomes non-existent. The game devolves into which team abuses the gimmicks better, not who has better shooting ability/teamwork. This has led me to leave default reach behind and mainly play MLG.

It may just be me, but the game becomes much less interesting when “skill” is determined by something as shallow as gimmicks. Abusing AAs and bad maps will never be as in depth as core halo, and adding these gimmicks in takes away from that. But 343 is trying to make money and gimmicks do help initial sales. However, 343 is also trying to rebuild the halo brand and the best way to do that is to increase the longevity of the game by making gameplay have a high skill-gap.

This is where MLG comes into play. 343 is going to include the gimmicks we’ve seen in trailers, leaks, etc. it is vital for them to isolate these gimmicks into certain playlists. For MLG to succeed when your average player thinks of default Halo, they have to think of core halo from halo ce/2, not the gimmicks that are so prelevant in Reach. I’m sure if you only played default reach, then tried to watch an MLG event you’d have no idea what was going on. Unfortunately Bungie left MLG with next to no choice but to drastically alter gameplay because default Reach is so shallow.

343, please learn from Bungie’s mistakes and isolate these gimmicks from the main gameplay. If you’re trying to rebuild halo into the brand it once was, don’t deviate too far from the winning formula established with Combat Evolved and Halo 2.

Edited by Moderator - Please refrain from making nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> There’s no doubt that gimmicks help sell games. Trailers from Reach showing jetpacks, Armor Lock, and other features like space in Zealot definitely contributed to the initial success of Reach. However, when these gimmicks are detrimental to gameplay they hurt the longevity of the game.
>
> I figured out how to abuse Reach’s gimmicks pretty quickly. From space camping on Zealot my first day with the game to stayng alive with Armor Lock in Season 3 and pioneering jetpack abuse in Arena Season 7 I often had a leg up on my competition. It was fun initially to get the rage messages after abusing Reach’s gimmicks, but once the competition learns to abuse the game the skill-gap becomes non-existent. The game devolves into which team abuses the gimmicks better, not who has better shooting ability/teamwork. This has led me to leave default reach behind and mainly play MLG.
>
> It may just be me, but the game becomes much less interesting when “skill” is determined by something as shallow as gimmicks. Abusing AAs and bad maps will never be as in depth as core halo, and adding these gimmicks in takes away from that. But 343 is trying to make money and gimmicks do help initial sales. However, 343 is also trying to rebuild the halo brand and the best way to do that is to increase the longevity of the game by making gameplay have a high skill-gap.
>
> This is where MLG comes into play. 343 is going to include the gimmicks we’ve seen in trailers, leaks, etc. it is vital for them to isolate these gimmicks into certain playlists. For MLG to succeed when your average player thinks of default Halo, they have to think of core halo from halo ce/2, not the gimmicks that are so prelevant in Reach. I’m sure if you only played default reach, then tried to watch an MLG event you’d have no idea what was going on. Unfortunately Bungie left MLG with next to no choice but to drastically alter gameplay because default Reach is so shallow.
>
> 343, please learn from Bungie’s mistakes and isolate these gimmicks from the main gameplay. If you’re trying to rebuild halo into the brand it once was, don’t deviate too far from the winning formula established with Cmbat Evolved and Halo 2.

mad cuz bad ^

Abusing gimmicks? Seems more like you were just using the features and gameplay mechanics better than others.

>

Yup, you got me.

> Abusing gimmicks? Seems more like you were just using the features and gameplay mechanics better than others.

The issue is you can only be so good at jetpacking/AL/camping space/etc. core gameplay has a much wider skill-gap than these elements and when gimmicks are OP like they were in Reach, gameplay becomes very shallow.

> Abusing gimmicks? Seems more like you were just using the features and gameplay mechanics better than others.

is that not what he said?

> > Abusing gimmicks? Seems more like you were just using the features and gameplay mechanics better than others.
>
> is that not what he said?

I don’t equate “abuse” with “skill”.

Do you realize that Halo 4 can be altered to a different gameplay? There’s nothing to worry about if you can strip everything to basics.

There’ll be a new feature as well as altered old feature.

> strip everything to basics.

This shouldn’t be necessary. The good core Halo of the past should be present and done right from the get-go. People who want a more classic taste in Halo 4 shouldn’t have to spend hours trying to find the right settings.

> Do you realize that Halo 4 can be altered to a different gameplay? There’s nothing to worry about if you can strip everything to basics.
>
> There’ll be a new feature as well as altered old feature.

The idea is to make default Halo as close to competitive settings as possible so that competitive Halo grows.

I can agree with that. It’s nice that we can change settings however we see fit, but when this happens players will be so split up among playlists that some will have ridiculously low populations.

> > > Abusing gimmicks? Seems more like you were just using the features and gameplay mechanics better than others.
> >
> > is that not what he said?
>
> I don’t equate “abuse” with “skill”.

not everyone can do it. abusing reach’s jetpack well is something I’m unable to do at all.
anyway, are you just saying how he feels is derived from him being too good? an interesting look on it.

The problem with Reach from the beginning was there was no Ranked 1-50 or playlists without the AA’s that tend to result in “cheap” and “Shallow” gameplay such as Camo,jetpack, and AL the main culprits.

You had no choice but to play with jetpacks,camo, Drop-shield, and AL spammers in EVERY playlist. Imagine how -Yoink- that is for competitive play lists like TS and Obj that basically became joke playlists that the competitive population frequented the most in H2+H3. I am not going to go into a big rant on the obvious ignorance of the competitve community with Reach, the population numbers already show that obviously a large part of the fanbase was turned off.

So, with Halo 4 theres going to be TONS of gimmicks that everyone is not going to want to play with.

That is why 343 NEEDS to make skill-based playlists where things like camo/jetpack AA’s, ordinance drops, and other -Yoink- that is obviously not beneficial to competitive play is emitted and where core Halo is the focus. There will be HUGE backlash if it turns out to be as disappointing as Reach and any chance of competitive Halo being big again will die.

> The problem with Reach from the beginning was there was no Ranked 1-50 or playlists without the AA’s that tend to result in “cheap” and “Shallow” gameplay such as Camo,jetpack, and AL the main culprits.
>
> You had no choice but to play with jetpacks,camo, Drop-shield, and AL spammers in EVERY playlist. Imagine how Yoink! that is for competitive play lists like TS and Obj that basically became joke playlists that the competitive population frequented the most in H2+H3. I am not going to go into a big rant on the obvious ignorance of the competitve community with Reach, the population numbers already show that obviously a large part of the fanbase was turned off.
>
> So, with Halo 4 theres going to be TONS of gimmicks that everyone is not going to want to play with.
>
> That is why 343 NEEDS to make skill-based playlists where things like camo/jetpack AA’s, ordinance drops, and other Yoink! that is obviously not beneficial to competitive play is emitted and where core Halo is the focus. There will be HUGE backlash if it turns out to be as disappointing as Reach and any chance of competitive Halo being big again will die.

And No 1 classic playlist will not make Competitive players happy - lets reverse the side and only have 1 playlist with AA’s and all the other gimmicky things and this is also the only NOT RANKED PLAYLIST - I for 1 would love this .