About The Thruster Pack + Balancing Issues

Every time I come on to this forum and see a ton of complaint threads listing a ton of problems people are having with this game, I really get surprised because, this game really just keeps getting better and better for me.

Check out this video of my gameplay : Using The Thruster Pack

Also, I have yet to see any of the balancing issues some are complaining about. The DMR is a very effective long range weapon, so when I’m using the BR or Light Rifle, I move closer to get my weapon in range. I have absolutely no problems with the Boltshot, if you search my ( GT : woollycurve524 ) for the videos in my fileshare you will see about 6 clips showing me killing Boltshot users with ease. I have no problems with camo users either, sometimes they may get me with a sniper but, once I see the killcam, I know exactly where they are.

agreed!!!

A lot of these types of issues are not what folks make them out to be.

The DMR restricts map movement because of its absurd range and bullet magnetism, the Boltshot allows people to spawn with a one-hit kill weapon which is ridiculous, and active camo encourages camping. I hope this helps with your confusion and you can understand a little better why people are unhappy with the way these three things currently are.

I don’t really know what the thruster pack had to do with your post, but (IMO) it’s one of the few AAs that, while seemingly weak, can be advantageous in the right user’s hands (ie. has a skill gap).

> The DMR restricts map movement because of its absurd range and bullet magnetism, the Boltshot allows people to spawn with a one-hit kill weapon which is ridiculous, and active camo encourages camping. I hope this helps with your confusion and you can understand a little better why people are unhappy with the way these three things currently are.
>
> I don’t really know what the thruster pack had to do with your post, but (IMO) it’s one of the few AAs that, while seemingly weak, can be advantageous in the right user’s hands (ie. has a skill gap).

I’m not sure why you are complaining the DMR is TOO good of a Medium/Long Range Weapon… In fact I find it absurd. Halo 1 and Halo 2 are considered the best Halo games in the franchise and they had the strongest starting weapons out of any of the Halo’s. (The Pistol and Battle Rifle respectively)

I also don’t understand how you can advocate for a weak starting weapon so you can move around the map more… You should be punished if you attempt to walk in the wide open, if your team hasn’t secured a certain position yet.

> they had the strongest starting weapons out of any of the Halo’s. (The Pistol and Battle Rifle respectively)

Try shooting across Valhalla with a Battle Rifle.

Now try shooting across Ragnarok with a DMR.

The Battle Rifle was never an amazingly long range weapon. The DMR is.

The Magnum used to be, but was also very imbalanced compared to the alternatives on the map.

> You should be punished if you attempt to walk in the wide open

It’s not like the entire map consists of cover. I shouldn’t have to be worried about getting sniped the instant I try to walk across my side of the map from the opposite side of the world.

Eitherway, that’s not the main issue. The Main issue is the DMR is so ridiculously easy to use it makes using any other weapon pointless. Why take time to aim a Light Rifle if the DMR takes half the effort and only requires one extra shot? The hitbox is large and the aim assist is large. If you’re going to make a utility weapon, at least don’t make it also the easiest weapon to aim.

I would love to see a DMR user try to use the Carbine for a day. They’d probably end up tossing their console out the window.

> (1) The DMR restricts map movement because of its absurd range and bullet magnetism, the Boltshot allows people to spawn with a one-hit kill weapon which is ridiculous, and active camo encourages camping. I hope this helps with your confusion and you can understand a little better why people are unhappy with the way these three things currently are.
>
> (2) I don’t really know what the thruster pack had to do with your post, but (IMO) it’s one of the few AAs that, while seemingly weak, can be advantageous in the right user’s hands (ie. has a skill gap).

(1) Well I’ve been playing this game everyday since it came out, and I have not seen this happen so I really need to see visual evidence of the DMR restricting map movement. Like I’ve said about the Boltshot, look at the clips I have on my fileshare, it is not a problem at all. Camping will happen regardless if camo is an option, and when you use camo, it reveals your location making it easier to find them. I can also upload videos of me dealing with the camo users too.

(2) I was just trying to show one of the great moments I had using the thruster pack in the video, and show basically what you said ( how useful it can be if used properly ).

> Try shooting across Valhalla with a Battle Rifle.
>
> Now try shooting across Ragnarok with a DMR.
>
> The Battle Rifle was never an amazingly long range weapon. The DMR is.

That’s the only map I can agree the DMR will win on and that’s only because its a Halo 3 map. Even though 343 said they made a few changes to it, I still don’t think it fits Halo 4.

You can’t even shoot across Ragnarok because of the gigantic hill in the middle so that point is moot…

Second of all, the BR’s auto-aim in Halo 2 was ridiculously easy as well… Would the Halo 1 Pistol be ideal? Sure. But the H2 BR and H4 DMR are quite enjoyable.

I don’t want another Reach Bloom DMR or a Pre-Patch H2 BR, where the starting weapon quality is awful. I want to be able to shoot people halfway across the map with some accuracy. Why should every encounter be close range? That would be silly, and there would be no way you could ever break out of your base if the opposing team is camping mid-map, but not advancing towards your base.

I also don’t see why “all weapons must be equal.” I start with the Light Rifle and DMR. After I run out of ammo in the DMR, I switch to the Light Rifle, because it’s a nice compliment, even though it’s not quite as good as the DMR.

I think it’s silly to simply have the Carbine, DMR, BR, and Light Rifle all be statistically equivalent. You might as well not even create different guns.

The BR has a niche as a good short/medium range weapon. It’s not as good far away. The AR is also a pretty damn good short range wpn, and I use that as my supplement on smaller/closed maps, such as Abandon or Adrift.

I think there is a pretty good balance right now for starting weapons. I think the BR and Carbine should be slightly improved, but I’m not going to complain.

> I think it’s silly to simply have the Carbine, DMR, BR, and Light Rifle all be statistically equivalent. You might as well not even create different guns.

Difference between “Equal” and “Balanced”.

As I said before, the DMR is insanely easy to use. Why bother using anything else?

The slight drop in mid range DPS barely matters. It also has the advantage at long range due to the aim assist helping negate flinch.

Making it into less of a mash trigger; get kills weapon would really help its balance. Quite frankly, it pisses me off. It pisses me off how people can kill me with half the effort unless I use a DMR myself.

> I want to be able to shoot people halfway across the map with some accuracy.

With the BR you can shoot across most of the map but it becomes more difficult the longer the range, due to having to lead, because it’s a projectile weapon.

The DMR is hitscan, my biggest gripe about it.

I wasn’t getting completely -Yoinked!- from across the map by BR’s in Halo 3, as I believe it should be. Being able to kill people from any point on the map really makes movement pointless.

I really can’t believe some people are arguing that the DMR doesn’t restrict map movement. It absolutely does. The effective range of the DMR is VERY long.

> I really can’t believe some people are arguing that the DMR doesn’t restrict map movement. It absolutely does. The effective range of the DMR is VERY long.

I’m not arguing that at all. I’m saying you shouldn’t be allowed to walk anywhere you want on a map without having to worry about where your opponent’s are.

You aren’t going to walk straight from Red Base to Blue Base on Hang Em High or Blood Gulch, because someone is going to 3 tap you with the Pistol. Same with Lockout or Midship. You have to look around, see where your teammates are, and figure out the safest way to get from Point A to Point B.

Strong starting weapons are a good part of the game, because it punishes people who are unaware of their surroundings. You should have to use strategy/creativity if you want to sneak behind your opponents or get to a certain part of the map.

> > I really can’t believe some people are arguing that the DMR doesn’t restrict map movement. It absolutely does. The effective range of the DMR is VERY long.
>
> I’m not arguing that at all. I’m saying you shouldn’t be allowed to walk anywhere you want on a map without having to worry about where your opponent’s are.
>
> You aren’t going to walk straight from Red Base to Blue Base on Hang Em High or Blood Gulch, because someone is going to 3 tap you with the Pistol. Same with Lockout or Midship. You have to look around, see where your teammates are, and figure out the safest way to get from Point A to Point B.
>
> Strong starting weapons are a good part of the game, because it punishes people who are unaware of their surroundings. You should have to use strategy/creativity if you want to sneak behind your opponents or get to a certain part of the map.

I do this all the time, I know DMR are effective from a distance so I don’t walk out in the open unless my teammates are around, and some of the player I see in the game have bad awareness, if you seen the video I uploaded in the OP you will see the blue team had to snipers sitting back, so instead of me trying to attack head on, I flanked them from behind.

> > I think it’s silly to simply have the Carbine, DMR, BR, and Light Rifle all be statistically equivalent. You might as well not even create different guns.
>
> Difference between “Equal” and “Balanced”.
>
> As I said before, the DMR is insanely easy to use. Why bother using anything else?
>
> The slight drop in mid range DPS barely matters. It also has the advantage at long range due to the aim assist helping negate flinch.
>
> Making it into less of a mash trigger; get kills weapon would really help its balance. Quite frankly, it pisses me off. It pisses me off how people can kill me with half the effort unless I use a DMR myself.
>
>
>
> > I want to be able to shoot people halfway across the map with some accuracy.
> >
> > <mark>With the BR you can shoot across most of the map but it becomes more difficult the longer the range, due to having to lead, because it’s a projectile weapon.</mark>
> > <mark>The DMR is hitscan, my biggest gripe about it.</mark>
> > <mark>I wasn’t getting completely -Yoinked!- from across the map by BR’s in Halo 3, as I believe it should be. Being able to kill people from any point on the map really makes movement pointless.</mark>
>
> ^ This. I think H3 really got it right with all weapons being projectile. Heck, even the snipe/beam rifle and the splaser were technically projectile. If H3 had just had the netcode improvements made with Reach and a more consistent BR spread, it would have been perfect imo.
>
> The H3 BR took the most skill out of every utility weapon in the series. Strafing and shot leading at range were HUGE to player’s skill, and the projectile time for the BR prevented BTB maps from turning into camping behind a rock and peeking out to pop shot crossmap with a DMR like we’ve seen with H4. Crossmapping with the H3 BR took a lot of skill to manage the lead time and spread, and the ability to kill in 4 or 5 shots at long range was really the mark of an accomplished player. Those mechanics made strafing key too; although H4 definitely makes improvements over Reach in this regard (which in itself is debatable due to the increased magnetism overruling the increased player speed and jump height,) strafing overall is still far less important than it was in H3. Call it a symptom of the game overall being more “casualized” and mainstreamed to copycat other popular shooters to make Halo “modern,” but it wrecks havoc on the traditional elements that create the unique Halo skillgap.

> Call it a symptom of the game overall being more “casualized” and mainstreamed to copycat other popular shooters to make Halo “modern,” but it wrecks havoc on the traditional elements that create the unique Halo skillgap.

They added elements to Halo that are similar to what you’d find in COD just to bring fans of that game to Halo, that’s why they have the fishsticks control scheme in the game to make the transition easier.

But most people don’t like skill gaps, I have no problem with it and I can still tell, every time, when I’m fighting someone who isn’t as skilled as me in Halo 4.