About Halo 5's story

After just replaying all the main halo games (1, 2 etc) I have a few points to say about Halo 4 and 5. Halo 4 and 5 are both more human stories then bungie ever gave us maybe besides reach, and depending on your outlook that can be good and bad. Personally, I don’t fully enjoy the way they developed Chiefs and Cortana’s relationship in the new games, but that’s because she’s been rampant since halo 3 and evil since halo 4, maybe shes corrupted the logic plague I am not sure. I enjoyed the “old” Cortana a lot more. To me, the way Cortana acts in the new games is in a way she never would in 1, 2, and 3. She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games. To me, Halo 5 is a lot like Halo 2, because you don’t play as Chief the whole time, and that Chief doesn’t actually accomplish anything in both games. In halo 2, it is the Arbiter and Johnson that stops the halo ring, not Chief. And also Halo 2 ends on a huge cliffhanger. The only thing you accomplish in halo 5 though is saving Chief, and I feel as Cortana wanted him to protect him and prevent him from stopping her, because she probably thinks John is the only way she could be stopped. I really just hope in Halo 6 we have less then 8 characters, hopefully Chief and good old Arbiter as playable characters. The only people I enjoy from Osiris is Buck and Vale, but I don’t think they need to be playable. I guess we will just have to wait! So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?

> 2533274874804600;1:
> After just replaying all the main halo games (1, 2 etc) I have a few points to say about Halo 4 and 5. Halo 4 and 5 are both more human stories then bungie ever gave us maybe besides reach, and depending on your outlook that can be good and bad. Personally, I don’t fully enjoy the way they developed Chiefs and Cortana’s relationship in the new games, but that’s because she’s been rampant since halo 3 and evil since halo 4, maybe shes corrupted the logic plague I am not sure. I enjoyed the “old” Cortana a lot more. To me, the way Cortana acts in the new games is in a way she never would in 1, 2, and 3. She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
> The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games. To me, Halo 5 is a lot like Halo 2, because you don’t play as Chief the whole time, and that Chief doesn’t actually accomplish anything in both games. In halo 2, it is the Arbiter and Johnson that stops the halo ring, not Chief. And also Halo 2 ends on a huge cliffhanger. The only thing you accomplish in halo 5 though is saving Chief, and I feel as Cortana wanted him to protect him and prevent him from stopping her, because she probably thinks John is the only way she could be stopped. I really just hope in Halo 6 we have less then 8 characters, hopefully Chief and good old Arbiter as playable characters. The only people I enjoy from Osiris is Buck and Vale, but I don’t think they need to be playable. I guess we will just have to wait! So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?

It seems as though you have a well grounded perspective. However, I’d like to add a little to it.

The novels give a lot more insight into why Halo 5’s Cortana is the way she is. Everything she asserts in Halo 5 is something that either the Gravemind or Didact said, which is interesting because the Didact is carrying the Logic Plague, so all of it has links to the Flood. Cortana was captured by the Flood at the end of Halo 2, where she was tortured and interrogated. She was broken, but her humanity remained. However, over time she began to break down, and she deteriorated into various fragments, each exhibiting its own personality. One voice stands out as the “real” Cortana, the part I consider her humanity, while the others are consumed by rage.

At the end of Halo 4, one fragment stayed behind to save Master Chief while all of the others passed through the Portal into the Domain. That fragment that stayed behind, paying the ultimate sacrifice was Cortana’s humanity, containing everything we love about her. Without it, the other fragments, twisted by the Flood, become the Cortana we see in Halo 5. The reason this doesn’t seem like the real Cortana is because this is what’s left when the primary traits we admire are removed.

> 2533274883501878;2:
> > 2533274874804600;1:
> > After just replaying all the main halo games (1, 2 etc) I have a few points to say about Halo 4 and 5. Halo 4 and 5 are both more human stories then bungie ever gave us maybe besides reach, and depending on your outlook that can be good and bad. Personally, I don’t fully enjoy the way they developed Chiefs and Cortana’s relationship in the new games, but that’s because she’s been rampant since halo 3 and evil since halo 4, maybe shes corrupted the logic plague I am not sure. I enjoyed the “old” Cortana a lot more. To me, the way Cortana acts in the new games is in a way she never would in 1, 2, and 3. She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
> > The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games. To me, Halo 5 is a lot like Halo 2, because you don’t play as Chief the whole time, and that Chief doesn’t actually accomplish anything in both games. In halo 2, it is the Arbiter and Johnson that stops the halo ring, not Chief. And also Halo 2 ends on a huge cliffhanger. The only thing you accomplish in halo 5 though is saving Chief, and I feel as Cortana wanted him to protect him and prevent him from stopping her, because she probably thinks John is the only way she could be stopped. I really just hope in Halo 6 we have less then 8 characters, hopefully Chief and good old Arbiter as playable characters. The only people I enjoy from Osiris is Buck and Vale, but I don’t think they need to be playable. I guess we will just have to wait! So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?
>
> It seems as though you have a well grounded perspective. However, I’d like to add a little to it.
>
> The novels give a lot more insight into why Halo 5’s Cortana is the way she is. Everything she asserts in Halo 5 is something that either the Gravemind or Didact said, which is interesting because the Didact is carrying the Logic Plague, so all of it has links to the Flood. Cortana was captured by the Flood at the end of Halo 2, where she was tortured and interrogated. She was broken, but her humanity remained. However, over time she began to break down, and she deteriorated into various fragments, each exhibiting its own personality. One voice stands out as the “real” Cortana, the part I consider her humanity, while the others are consumed by rage.
>
> At the end of Halo 4, one fragment stayed behind to save Master Chief while all of the others passed through the Portal into the Domain. That fragment that stayed behind, paying the ultimate sacrifice was Cortana’s humanity**, containing everything we love about her.** Without it, the other fragments, twisted by the Flood, become the Cortana we see in Halo 5. The reason this doesn’t seem like the real Cortana is because this is what’s left when the primary traits we admire are removed.

So thats why she has that ugly armor…

> 2533274883501878;2:
> > 2533274874804600;1:
> > After just replaying all the main halo games (1, 2 etc) I have a few points to say about Halo 4 and 5. Halo 4 and 5 are both more human stories then bungie ever gave us maybe besides reach, and depending on your outlook that can be good and bad. Personally, I don’t fully enjoy the way they developed Chiefs and Cortana’s relationship in the new games, but that’s because she’s been rampant since halo 3 and evil since halo 4, maybe shes corrupted the logic plague I am not sure. I enjoyed the “old” Cortana a lot more. To me, the way Cortana acts in the new games is in a way she never would in 1, 2, and 3. She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
> > The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games. To me, Halo 5 is a lot like Halo 2, because you don’t play as Chief the whole time, and that Chief doesn’t actually accomplish anything in both games. In halo 2, it is the Arbiter and Johnson that stops the halo ring, not Chief. And also Halo 2 ends on a huge cliffhanger. The only thing you accomplish in halo 5 though is saving Chief, and I feel as Cortana wanted him to protect him and prevent him from stopping her, because she probably thinks John is the only way she could be stopped. I really just hope in Halo 6 we have less then 8 characters, hopefully Chief and good old Arbiter as playable characters. The only people I enjoy from Osiris is Buck and Vale, but I don’t think they need to be playable. I guess we will just have to wait! So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?
>
> It seems as though you have a well grounded perspective. However, I’d like to add a little to it.
>
> The novels give a lot more insight into why Halo 5’s Cortana is the way she is. Everything she asserts in Halo 5 is something that either the Gravemind or Didact said, which is interesting because the Didact is carrying the Logic Plague, so all of it has links to the Flood. Cortana was captured by the Flood at the end of Halo 2, where she was tortured and interrogated. She was broken, but her humanity remained. However, over time she began to break down, and she deteriorated into various fragments, each exhibiting its own personality. One voice stands out as the “real” Cortana, the part I consider her humanity, while the others are consumed by rage.
>
> At the end of Halo 4, one fragment stayed behind to save Master Chief while all of the others passed through the Portal into the Domain. That fragment that stayed behind, paying the ultimate sacrifice was Cortana’s humanity, containing everything we love about her. Without it, the other fragments, twisted by the Flood, become the Cortana we see in Halo 5. The reason this doesn’t seem like the real Cortana is because this is what’s left when the primary traits we admire are removed.

I also suspect that since this Cortana was a Rampant fragment of the original Cortana, that the Cortana from Halo 5 and onwards is still crazy from her time in Rampancy.

Honestly, I would have preferred having Jul M’dama as the primary enemy of Halo 5 and maybe Mendicant Bias takes Cortana’s place.

> 2533274883501878;2:
> > 2533274874804600;1:
>
>
>
> At the end of Halo 4, one fragment stayed behind to save Master Chief while all of the others passed through the Portal into the Domain. That fragment that stayed behind, paying the ultimate sacrifice was Cortana’s humanity, containing everything we love about her. Without it, the other fragments, twisted by the Flood, become the Cortana we see in Halo 5. The reason this doesn’t seem like the real Cortana is because this is what’s left when the primary traits we admire are removed.

Yeah I read human weakness, and that’s also why I think she is the way she is in 5. The cortana we know and loved died at the end of 4, which is pretty depressing. But, halo 4s cortana still acts different from the other games, but that’s because of ramapancy and 343s developments, just like master chief talks so much more and has a character, which I enjoy. I wonder if the flood will return in 6 with cortana helping them, and that’s why she wanted chief in a cryptum

> 2533274922457786;4:
> > 2533274883501878;2:
> > > 2533274874804600;1:
> > > After just replaying all the main halo games (1, 2 etc) I have a few points to say about Halo 4 and 5. Halo 4 and 5 are both more human stories then bungie ever gave us maybe besides reach, and depending on your outlook that can be good and bad. Personally, I don’t fully enjoy the way they developed Chiefs and Cortana’s relationship in the new games, but that’s because she’s been rampant since halo 3 and evil since halo 4, maybe shes corrupted the logic plague I am not sure. I enjoyed the “old” Cortana a lot more. To me, the way Cortana acts in the new games is in a way she never would in 1, 2, and 3. She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
> > > The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games. To me, Halo 5 is a lot like Halo 2, because you don’t play as Chief the whole time, and that Chief doesn’t actually accomplish anything in both games. In halo 2, it is the Arbiter and Johnson that stops the halo ring, not Chief. And also Halo 2 ends on a huge cliffhanger. The only thing you accomplish in halo 5 though is saving Chief, and I feel as Cortana wanted him to protect him and prevent him from stopping her, because she probably thinks John is the only way she could be stopped. I really just hope in Halo 6 we have less then 8 characters, hopefully Chief and good old Arbiter as playable characters. The only people I enjoy from Osiris is Buck and Vale, but I don’t think they need to be playable. I guess we will just have to wait! So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?
> >
> > It seems as though you have a well grounded perspective. However, I’d like to add a little to it.
> >
> > The novels give a lot more insight into why Halo 5’s Cortana is the way she is. Everything she asserts in Halo 5 is something that either the Gravemind or Didact said, which is interesting because the Didact is carrying the Logic Plague, so all of it has links to the Flood. Cortana was captured by the Flood at the end of Halo 2, where she was tortured and interrogated. She was broken, but her humanity remained. However, over time she began to break down, and she deteriorated into various fragments, each exhibiting its own personality. One voice stands out as the “real” Cortana, the part I consider her humanity, while the others are consumed by rage.
> >
> > At the end of Halo 4, one fragment stayed behind to save Master Chief while all of the others passed through the Portal into the Domain. That fragment that stayed behind, paying the ultimate sacrifice was Cortana’s humanity, containing everything we love about her. Without it, the other fragments, twisted by the Flood, become the Cortana we see in Halo 5. The reason this doesn’t seem like the real Cortana is because this is what’s left when the primary traits we admire are removed.
>
> I also suspect that since this Cortana was a Rampant fragment of the original Cortana, that the Cortana from Halo 5 and onwards is still crazy from her time in Rampancy.
>
> Honestly, I would have preferred having Jul M’dama as the primary enemy of Halo 5 and maybe Mendicant Bias takes Cortana’s place.

Yeah that upset me. But mendicant isn’t bad he wants atonement, but that would of been way cool. Here’s hoping atriox is an enemy in 6.

> 2533274874804600;1:
> She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.

I’m quite a fan of the direction Halo 4 seemed to be taking the franchise. There are things I wish were done better/different, but the Chief-and-Cortana story of Halo 4 was actually a good, full character arc, something that most Halo games do not have. We even got to see some classic Chief-'n-Cortana quipping early on, and the first three levels of the game are some classic Halo stuff.

> The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games.

People complain about Halo 5 for a lot of different reasons. I complain about it for many reasons, myself; but that is not one of them. Halo 4 wasn’t about saving the galaxy either, and its story is better for it. Halo 5’s story sucks for different reasons than that. At least according to my sensabilities.

> So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?

Kilo 5, the Forerunner Saga, and Halo 4 got me real excited for a character-driven post-war self-actualization storyline, and Halo 5 shattered my excitement with a hammer. The way Cortana is used in Halo 5 is wholly disatisfactory for me, because it completely undermines the character she was and is a blatant reuse to keep familiar characters (and fans) around. I’m displeased with the direction Halo has taken, but I’m hopeful that 343 will find some way to fix this. I don’t see how they could – you can’t unknife Jul 'Mdama – but I don’t claim to know all possible stories. I really want them to figure something out, get it all back on track.

> 2678033349858034;7:
> > 2533274874804600;1:
> > She always would put humanity first, and do whatever it takes to protect them. She wouldn’t ignore protocol, and all of a sudden hate Halsey after looking at her as a mother figure for her whole life. So we will see. I have a few theories on halo 6 and Cortana, hopefully the “evil” Cortana is a rouge fragment or corrupted by the flood.
>
> I’m quite a fan of the direction Halo 4 seemed to be taking the franchise. There are things I wish were done better/different, but the Chief-and-Cortana story of Halo 4 was actually a good, full character arc, something that most Halo games do not have. We even got to see some classic Chief-'n-Cortana quipping early on, and the first three levels of the game are some classic Halo stuff.
>
>
> > The next thing I wanted to say was about halo 5. People complain that Halo 5’s story wasn’t good because the lack of saving the galaxy like you do in the other games.
>
> People complain about Halo 5 for a lot of different reasons. I complain about it for many reasons, myself; but that is not one of them. Halo 4 wasn’t about saving the galaxy either, and its story is better for it. Halo 5’s story sucks for different reasons than that. At least according to my sensabilities.
>
>
> > So what are your guys thoughts on 343’s story and the direction they took with Cortana?
>
> Kilo 5, the Forerunner Saga, and Halo 4 got me real excited for a character-driven post-war self-actualization storyline, and Halo 5 shattered my excitement with a hammer. The way Cortana is used in Halo 5 is wholly disatisfactory for me, because it completely undermines the character she was and is a blatant reuse to keep familiar characters (and fans) around. I’m displeased with the direction Halo has taken, but I’m hopeful that 343 will find some way to fix this. I don’t see how they could – you can’t unknife Jul 'Mdama – but I don’t claim to know all possible stories. I really want them to figure something out, get it all back on track.

Honestly if Jul was killed with a little more excitement and build up I guess it would of been fine, but the fact is they killed him off with no dramatizing effect at all is just awful. A casual halo can wouldn’t even know who he is because this is actually the first time he appears in a campaign (not including spartan opps or terminals). After the huge character build up in kilo 5 I wish he didn’t go. As for what you said about 4, I actually do enjoy it quite a lot. It was just interesting and welcomed to see chief and cortana act differently in a new company’s portrayals if that makes sense. Halo 5s story to me, after replaying it and finding all the intel, wasn’t awful, but not amazing. There isn’t enough character development, and I feel as if they left out all of character build up in the novels. Having read the novels with them (new blood, hunters in the dark) it really improved the story. I still hate Tanaka because 0 character and Locke because why Locke.