About Halo 5 and increased Spartan mobility

Requirements to reply:
1: Be polite
2: Be reasonable
I’ve been playing Halo since CE. I absolutely loved all the games since Halo 3, then I took a pause. I started later to play ODST, Reach and Halo 4, and i was like “well, that was unexpected”. But it felt, in some ways, like “the old halo”. Then I played Halo 5. I was completely disoriented and stupefied to see the first gameplay, and I thought I’ll never buy Halo 5. Then I decided to give it a try. And, to my disbelief, it was amazing. Quick, dynamic and absolutely addicting gameplay. The new Spartan mobility (thrusters, ground pound, even the spartan charge) gave me the real feeling of being a “one man army” in the field, like the Spartan are supposed to be! I loved when i thrusted to sidestep an incoming full speed ghost to avoid being splattered, instead (like Halo 3) of mistiming a jump and being crushed! When I ground pounded an unaware Spartan from meters high! When I sprinted, jumped, thrusted and climbed to kill a single Scorpion that was wreckimg havoc on my team! So, in good honesty, do you really think the new Spartan mobility is that bad? I am curious.
(I ask forgiveness for eventual mistakes, I am not a native English speaker)

Technically you can’t make people reply politely or reasonably here but, most people didn’t like the new mobility I think mainly because they weren’t use to it, people are afraid of new and 343 threw a lot of new at them, lore wise it makes sense to at leave have spartans that can run, climb and slide and it didnt really make sense why chief couldnt use his pack in the other games.

There are no rules for speech. Halo 5 is a improvement from 4

I love it. Reminds me of TitanFall, another great game. I
find myself trying to clamber and thrust when playing the Master Chief Collection. LOL

I definitely think most of the changes in gameplay are for the best. I like the direction that Halo 5 has taken Halo in terms of gameplay. The increased speed and mobility are a breath of fresh air for the gameplay and the weapon balance has finally made all weapons realistically usable.

> 2535410755618980;3:
> There are no rules for speech. Halo 5 is a improvement from 4

Not exactly, we still have rules on flaming, stat flaming, talking about cheating, speaking in a non-english language, harassment, discrimination, non-constructive posts, spam, off topic stuff, duplicates, trolling, bypassing the word filter, talking about mod decisions, threats, and talk of selling/trading.

> 2533274809541057;5:
> I definitely think most of the changes in gameplay are for the best. I like the direction that Halo 5 has taken Halo in terms of gameplay. The increased speed and mobility are a breath of fresh air for the gameplay and the weapon balance has finally made all weapons realistically usable.

Totally agree. While there may be some things I don’t really enjoy, it is wonderful overall and keeps me wanting to continue playing.

Finally, a nice respectful post about the things people like in this game. I was getting sick of reading the, “nerf this gun”, “remove this map”, “fml”, hate posts. Thanks OP! :slight_smile:
Edit: and everyone who responded.

Halo 5 is halo 4 lite with everything we hated (nearly) being cut out. Now only if they cut sprint and nerfed autos so they were not noob cannons. And noob charge because why bother trying to aim when you can run at someone and get a cheap kill? And weapon timers? Are we baby’s who cannot learn timers ourselves ?

I feel like Halo would have been better off had it stuck to the original formula, but that’s a whole other topic that has been done to death on waypoint recently. I enjoy the changes Halo 5 has made, and as drastic as they are they feel more logical and natural than the awkward implementation of armor abilities and sprint in Halo 4.

Basically, a natural evolution of the Halo formula, though not the one I’d have chosen.

See, had all of the Spartan Abilities but the Thruster Pack been removed and the thrusters allowed control of weapons during the activation, I would probably like Halo 5 a lot more than I do currently. And I feel that the weapon balance is too Call of Duty-like. Everything has effective ranges now, everything kills in their respective ranges, just like in COD, with the SMGs and Shotties beating everything at close range, Assault Rifles beat everything at mid range, and Snipers beat everything at long range. I did like the weapon that was the “Jack of all trades, Master at one” in the balance, that made Halo more unique compared to other games.

I guess really, my problem is, I’ve played too much of Reach and Halo 3, with the massive bloom on the former and the random spread on the latter. I don’t know what it is with the balance in Halo 5, but it feels… off.

When it comes to game mechanics, Halo 5 is a step up from the others. It took me a while to get adjusted to the mechanics also. And believe me, I played the MCC after I was playing Halo 5 for the longest of time…let’s just say I kept using LB to thrust…when I had a jet pack on haha.

I think the changes made were for the better. 343 could’ve stuck to the original formula but then it would just be like call of duty, blatant neglect on the campaign and just different maps and guns on multiplayer but the same game for the most part. Halo needs to evolve to stay alive. It’s just an opinion but if they made the multiplayer the exact same as the first 3 with maybe new weapons across 6 total games I’d be kinda bored at this point.

I honestly think the changes are good since they add an extra layer of realism(having a super-human military unit’s top speed being a brisk pace is rather dumb in hindsight). BUT, there is one major flaw: the vehicles themselves didn’t scale to match this enhanced mobility. Large units like tanks and Mantises have little protection against these new super-ninjas. Lighter vehicles like warthogs lack the speed, firepower, and armor needed to defend against multiple Spartans (not that its a good idea to go against more than 3 at a time). If these vehicles got some extra speed and armor, then it would be alright due to the perspective shift.

> 2533274874817568;14:
> I honestly think the changes are good since they add an extra layer of realism(having a super-human military unit’s top speed being a brisk pace is rather dumb in hindsight). BUT, there is one major flaw: the vehicles themselves didn’t scale to match this enhanced mobility. Large units like tanks and Mantises have little protection against these new super-ninjas. Lighter vehicles like warthogs lack the speed, firepower, and armor needed to defend against multiple Spartans (not that its a good idea to go against more than 3 at a time). If these vehicles got some extra speed and armor, then it would be alright due to the perspective shift.

I agree. Vehicular combat just isn’t as enjoyable and has become kind of campy.

> 2535469205468732;1:
> Requirements to reply:
> 1: Be polite
> 2: Be reasonable

Yeah… you can’t say that kinda stuff here.

However, regarding your post I completely agree. Love the charge and the ground pound and all of that. But I still struggle with some of the clamber, like I go to clamber and i just bounce off the wall and I feel so much of the maps are made to incoporate clamber to the death, but that is another topic! I like the idea of implementing spartan feats into all players and sticking with usable overshield or camo, rather than H4 power ups that you can spawn with.

The changes are good, and you need to remember that 343 are trying to create a new game here too, not just a follow up to the previous Halo games. Gotta draw in the new fans too eh?

> 2533274915643658;11:
> …
> Everything has effective ranges now, everything kills in their respective ranges, just like in COD, with the SMGs and Shotties beating everything at close range, Assault Rifles beat everything at mid range, and Snipers beat everything at long range. I did like the weapon that was the “Jack of all trades, Master at one” in the balance, that made Halo more unique compared to other games.
> …

So you liked it back when most weapons were useless. Back when if you didn’t have a BR you weren’t a threat on the battlefield.

> 2535469205468732;1:
> Requirements to reply:
> 1: Be polite
> 2: Be reasonable

You don’t tell me what to do!

Sprint
Clamber
Slide

I can live without, well, I’d like to live without them.

> 2533274809541057;17:
> > 2533274915643658;11:
> > …
> > Everything has effective ranges now, everything kills in their respective ranges, just like in COD, with the SMGs and Shotties beating everything at close range, Assault Rifles beat everything at mid range, and Snipers beat everything at long range. I did like the weapon that was the “Jack of all trades, Master at one” in the balance, that made Halo more unique compared to other games.
> > …
>
>
> So you liked it back when most weapons were useless. Back when if you didn’t have a BR you weren’t a threat on the battlefield.

No, I like it back when, again, one weapon was the useful all rounder. If you didn’t use all of the weapons back in Halo 3, then that is your problem, but I used them in conjunction with the Battle Rifle. And, I felt that in Halo 3, the Battle Rifle was balanced to my idea of perfection, with the projectile system and the somewhat random bullet spread making it such that you had to have consistent aiming, or else you are going to get murdered. Now that everything is “useful” and everything kills in 1.5 seconds, the lines are blurred and no one weapon is the jack of all trades, master of one. And I feel that there needs to be one, otherwise the weapon sandbox gets stale for me. Because otherwise, I’m wondering which 1.5 second kill time weapon I’m going to use next, instead of running for the Battle Rifle spawn to get it before someone else gets it before me.

And by the way, it still is like that now. If you do not have a precision weapon in Halo, then you are screwed, especially in games like WZ and BTB with the wide open ranges. Essentially, you are not a threat on the battlefield if you are going with a SMG / Shotgun loadout.

You can have a balanced sandbox without everything having a 1.5 second kill time and everything having ADS. I read some people’s threads, and it seems a common request is to give the weapons alternate firing modes so that they would each fill a niche that no other weapon in the game does.