AAs are good for Halo...

…and they need to stay.
I know, there is a significant number of them that break classic Halo rules. There has to be an established order. With Bungie, they had “The Golden Triangle Of Halo”, which consisted of weapons, grenades, and melee, the only assets available to the player at the time.
We have a pentagon now. Weapons, grenades, melee, sprint, and AAs. Bungie made it a square with Reach.
AAs don’t COMPLETELY break the game. If you ask me, the square was great. We don’t need sprinting, it’s not game breaking, but it takes away from the “survival of the fittest” vibe, and it’s unrealistic, considering you’re wearing a multi-billion dollar suit with built-in regenerating shields, and you’re carrying considerably heavy weapons. This is Halo, but we need a dose of reality to keep us awake.
C’mon, is the Thruster Pack REALLY bad? This thread explains how the Thruster Pack is a skillful edition to Halo.
Is the Hardlight Shield bad? Is the Hologram bad?
Mainly, I’m bringing this up because during Team Throwdown, we have personal ordinance(gasp). With this modified ordnance, we’re not getting power weapons or anything random. There are 3 AAs that will be the options for personal ordinance. They’re the ones who provide the most skillful advantages in-game. The Hardlight Shield, Thruster Pack, and Hologram. Hardlight Shield is useful getting to cover(and without sprint!) and ricochets shots. The Thruster Pack is all about timing, and you can get pretty lucky with it at times. Call me a moron, but I’m fooled by holograms WAY too many times. You have to know when to set the hologram in a combat scenario.
Overall, there are some horrible, average, and game-breaking armor abilities. But some are pretty good, and 343 should implement more armor abilities like the Hologram, Thruster Pack, and Hardlight Shield in the future.

Typed a wall of text, sorry! Do you think 343 should try to implement “skillful” armor abilities in the future?

Halo doesn’t need realism. I would argue that the most fun aspects of Halo are also the least realistic aspects.

Armour Abilities are terribad and ruin the mechanics of the game.

/thread.

Respectfully, I disagree. As said earlier, this is a sifi shooter, not reality.

I really like the AAs too.

I understand some want “vanilla” halo over and over and over but AAs are here to stay and people need to accept it.

> Halo doesn’t need realism. I would argue that the most fun aspects of Halo are also the least realistic aspects.

I did say it’s Halo, it doesn’t need realism. Grifball is awesome, but gravity hammers and energy swords aren’t realistic. Yet that’s what makes Grifball awesome. Same goes for Action Sack. I agree with you, the most unrealistic parts of Halo are the best. But a tiny little dose of it now and then wouldn’t hurt. Plus, I was looking for another reason as to why sprint isn’t needed other than, “it’s killing Halo.”
We’re also talking about AAs, not realism in Halo on this thread.

Unless they have buffed it, I found the thruster pack to be lacking with the exception of the flood thruster.

> Respectfully, I disagree. As said earlier, this is a sci-fi shooter, not reality.

Duly noted. But are we talking about the realism part in the OP, or AAs, because I can say I don’t find AAs realistic.

We don’t need the following armor abilities:

Armor Lock in ANY FORM. I am looking at you hardlight sheild you ridiculous peice of crap.

Active Camoflage should always be a map pickup. ALWAYS.

Jetpack. Do I really need to go into how gamebreaking this is?

Evade (Thruster is fine)

Regeneration: Is a horrible ability.

Auto Turret: Not horrible, but we don’t need it.

Promethean. -Yoinking!-. Vision. “Lets put in an ability that allows us to see through walls. Because -Yoink- strategy, amiright?”

AA that are good:

Thruster is decently skilled. We don’t need it, but I’d prefer it to others.

Hologram is also a decently skilled ability.

That is all. The rest need to burn. And since there is only two, we don’t really need either of them.

> > Halo doesn’t need realism. I would argue that the most fun aspects of Halo are also the least realistic aspects.
>
> I did say it’s Halo, it doesn’t need realism. Grifball is awesome, but gravity hammers and energy swords aren’t realistic. Yet that’s what makes Grifball awesome. Same goes for Action Sack. I agree with you, the most unrealistic parts of Halo are the best. But a tiny little dose of it now and then wouldn’t hurt. Plus, I was looking for another reason as to why sprint isn’t needed other than, “it’s killing Halo.”
> We’re also talking about AAs, not realism in Halo on this thread.

Sprint isn’t needed because it encourages sloppy cat-and-mouse gameplay. If the developers would stop lowering the base speed each damn game, the lack of sprint would hardly be noticeable.

There’s nothing to say about armor abilities other than the fact that they’re crutches for bad players. Their existence within Halo’s core now is quite unfortunate.

> > > Halo doesn’t need realism. I would argue that the most fun aspects of Halo are also the least realistic aspects.
> >
> > I did say it’s Halo, it doesn’t need realism. Grifball is awesome, but gravity hammers and energy swords aren’t realistic. Yet that’s what makes Grifball awesome. Same goes for Action Sack. I agree with you, the most unrealistic parts of Halo are the best. But a tiny little dose of it now and then wouldn’t hurt. Plus, I was looking for another reason as to why sprint isn’t needed other than, “it’s killing Halo.”
> > We’re also talking about AAs, not realism in Halo on this thread.
>
> <mark>Sprint isn’t needed because it encourages sloppy cat-and-mouse gameplay. If the developers would stop lowering the base speed each damn game, the lack of sprint would hardly be noticeable</mark>.
>
> There’s nothing to say about armor abilities other than the fact that they’re crutches for bad players. Their existence within Halo’s core now is quite unfortunate.

Someone get this man a cookie.

I do like the AA’s overall but some like Jet Pack (even this nerfed version) break the map something fierce. I was hoping that the ordnance in Team Throwdown was going to be AA’s, and not a batch of power weapons that are almost always untuned to the kind of map you are playing.

One substitution that I would think about is extra ammo for your BR in Team Throwdown. In other playlist I run out of ammo quite often. I usually end up dead at that point since I have to go into open ground to try to find ammo. Maybe the new map set ups will alleviate this problem.

> I do like the AA’s overall but some like Jet Pack (even this nerfed version) break the map something fierce. <mark>I was hoping that the ordnance in Team Throwdown was going to be AA’s, and not a batch of power weapons that are almost always untuned to the kind of map you are playing.</mark>
>
> One substitution that I would think about is extra ammo for your BR in Team Throwdown. In other playlist I run out of ammo quite often. I usually end up dead at that point since I have to go into open ground to try to find ammo. Maybe the new map set ups will alleviate this problem.

Good news.
It’s only AAs.

AAs corroded the Golden Age of Halo. They are not to be forgiven.

Some people didn’t even respect the Triangle. They always tried to limit the game down to just a dot, which is the weapon. Which is the Magnum/BR/DMR. Because they don’t want to think about a new scenario or learn how to do something different.

You can use AA’s in a strategic way, but that doesn’t make it skillful. If there’s a way for others to spawn or start out the game differently than others, it’s already unbalanced.

> Armour Abilities are terribad and ruin the mechanics of the game.
>
> /thread.

At least the OP elaborated and gave a reasonable argument.

I agree with the OP. They can be good for Halo for the reasons given in the original post. Especially in the way that they are being handled in TTD, where they are to be used more skillfully and strategically.

I’m excited for TTD, I really enjoyed Ghostayame’s v1 settings. Can’t wait for Monday!

The only armour abilities that offer tremendous tactical learning curves and applications without being ludicrous and overshadowing are Hologram, Jetpack and Thruster Pack, I find. With those things, I always see people finding new ways to use them. But with Regenerator, Hardlight Shield, Promethean Vision… they’re constant-use tools, really. Where’s the fun in using something that you don’t need to think about?

Melee is something you measure use of – you don’t just punch wildly whenever someone’s in range. That won’t be a surefire solution. Similarly, you don’t throw grenades at people the moment you acquire them. Yet there’s not much reason not to use most of these armour abilities the moment you get in a fight. That’s just brainless.

> The only armour abilities that offer tremendous tactical learning curves and applications without being ludicrous and overshadowing are Hologram, Jetpack and Thruster Pack, I find. With those things, I always see people finding new ways to use them. But with Regenerator, Hardlight Shield, Promethean Vision… they’re constant-use tools, really. Where’s the fun in using something that you don’t need to think about?
>
> Melee is something you measure use of – you don’t just punch wildly whenever someone’s in range. That won’t be a surefire solution. Similarly, you don’t throw grenades at people the moment you acquire them. Yet there’s not much reason not to use most of these armour abilities the moment you get in a fight. That’s just brainless.

I’d argue that regen field is one of the more difficult risk/reward AAs of the lot. It disrupts sounds, and vision which are huge you can’t hear someone sneaking up behind you or a lot of other noticeable noises that tie close to game play. Hard shots are virtually impossible inside the field as well. Your enemies can benefit from it and it has a cast time.

The most interesting part is that it doesn’t actually heal damage. So if someone has broken my shields and hit me with a bullet it won’t heal that damage, only bring my shield back up which is easily taken down again by focused fire or good shooting.

I personally think before using the ability as it can easily get you killed, or give your opponent an advantage. With that being said I think user should only have one field down at a time, but I don’t think that’s an issue with out instant re spawn.

> The only armour abilities that offer tremendous tactical learning curves and applications without being ludicrous and overshadowing are Hologram, Jetpack and Thruster Pack, I find. With those things, I always see people finding new ways to use them. But with Regenerator, Hardlight Shield, Promethean Vision… they’re constant-use tools, really. Where’s the fun in using something that you don’t need to think about?
>
> Melee is something you measure use of – you don’t just punch wildly whenever someone’s in range. That won’t be a surefire solution. Similarly, you don’t throw grenades at people the moment you acquire them. Yet there’s not much reason not to use most of these armour abilities the moment you get in a fight. That’s just brainless.

Jetpack is overpowering. It screws up map control, negates cover advantages, and allows the jetpacker an advantage in rifle battles since his head hitbox is altered to be less easily hit and his targets is more easily hit. It is the least balanced AA in this game in my opinion. Honestly, with the boltshot nerf coming, if jetpack was out of the game I’d probably be pretty accepting of Infinity Slayer.