A Way to Make the AR More Team Focused

Here is my proposal on making the Assault Rifle more of a team oriented weapon.

Everyone knows the binocular function of the weapon whenever you try and scope in, what real purpose does it serve? How about the ability to mark one player with a small waypoint? You would have to be “aiming” at the target and press a button to mark them with a waypoint similar to campaign waypoints, just a lot less visible. This way you could mark the person with a power weapon, or carrying an objective, and give the AR a purpose to help teammates.

So its kind of the Tag and Bag them feature that is in Gears of war ad Bf3?

Sounds like a good addition to add but it I feel it really isn’t needed.( Pending on map)

The Assault Rifle needs to stop being treated as a faux all-purpose weapon. It’s a close range niche weapon and should stay that way.

No, that’s a very bad idea.

I think there is enough things giving the players position away as it is. We already got promethean vision, radar, and voice chat.

I dunno, the Assault Rifle seems perfectly fine the way it is. A powerful close-range weapon, as it should be.

> I dunno, the Assault Rifle seems perfectly fine the way it is. A powerful close-range weapon, as it should be.

Agreed.

How about a Power Up that marks all enemies with a waypoint for a limited duration? Call it Scout.

(face palm) why not just mark everybody with a waypoint and call it easy mode?
/sarcasm

honestly i figured that PV basically filled that role for those who couldn’t figure out that they had a radar on their screen

It would just sound ridiculous for someone to say, 1"the assault rifle is super useful now because it tags people". …2"oook soo when does the shooting come into play?" 1"It doesn’t, I just use it to tag people and run away."

No just… no (with emphasis) Bullet said, we really don’t need anymore enemy indicators. Also, the complaints about the AR often are about the AR being weak or spray/no skill. Adding a tagging feature doesn’t make the weapon’s performance better.

It’s already a team oriented weapon.

Well, I’d rather see an beefed up and (for the first time) really effective Assault Rifle at it’s intended range, a rifle not a bb gun.
However, spotting enemies would be a nice feature, perfect to kill of campers/snipers or at least make them move around a bit. Either people can do it for free, spot as they wish (the mark is vanishes when the spotter or the spotted person dies) or have it as an AA/perk, the ability to mark an enemy.
Sure would make Halo more team oriented and less run and gun while the others camp and vice versa.

> Well, I’d rather see an beefed up and (for the first time) really effective Assault Rifle at it’s intended range, a rifle not a bb gun.
> However, spotting enemies would be a nice feature, perfect to kill of campers/snipers or at least make them move around a bit. Either people can do it for free, spot as they wish (the mark is vanishes when the spotter or the spotted person dies) or have it as an AA/perk, the ability to mark an enemy.
> Sure would make Halo more team oriented and less run and gun while the others camp and vice versa.

I feel a perk like that would really defeat the purpose of actual communication via a mic. Far to few people in reach use a mic as it is. However i see how it could help keep everyone informed about the enemy teams position. i still feel it would ultimately be game breaking however.

> I feel a perk like that would really defeat the purpose of actual communication via a mic. Far to few people in reach use a mic as it is. However i see how it could help keep everyone informed about the enemy teams position. i still feel it would ultimately be game breaking however.

I disagree, a perk must be chosen and used and thus no other perk is available. Further more, over mic you can say so much, give away tons of info, while the perk could only spot 1 enemy at 1 time. Mute ban, ever heard of it?
Guess why no one talks in Halo, you get punished for communicating. Last but not least, most gamers got no mic or wouldn’t dare/care to use it, while many do care to spot (to get a few points).
I see no reason it could brake the game, the perk could be limited to certain game modes to try it out, and it could have an effective radios aka “enemy within 10m of this”, if the enemy moves the “spot” is worthless. In Homefront, for reference, you had to use an aerial drone to spot people, it could spot any number of enemies but was quite weak and the spot didn’t last to long. Not to mention, to use it you had to “sacrifice” a slot that could be used for something else (like RPG).

> > I feel a perk like that would really defeat the purpose of actual communication via a mic. Far to few people in reach use a mic as it is. However i see how it could help keep everyone informed about the enemy teams position. i still feel it would ultimately be game breaking however.
>
> I disagree, a perk must be chosen and used and thus no other perk is available. Further more, over mic you can say so much, give away tons of info, while the perk could only spot 1 enemy at 1 time. Mute ban, ever heard of it?
> Guess why no one talks in Halo, you get punished for communicating. Last but not least, most gamers got no mic or wouldn’t dare/care to use it, while many do care to spot (to get a few points).
> I see no reason it could brake the game, the perk could be limited to certain game modes to try it out, and it could have an effective radios aka “enemy within 10m of this”, if the enemy moves the “spot” is worthless. In Homefront, for reference, you had to use an aerial drone to spot people, it could spot any number of enemies but was quite weak and the spot didn’t last to long. Not to mention, to use it you had to “sacrifice” a slot that could be used for something else (like RPG).

If you can spot 1 enemy at a time i can see it working as a perk. my only concern is how this kinda feature is implemented in battlefield 3 for example, And don’t talk to me as though i’m stupid please i know about the mute ban. I am simply stating an opinion.
I just don’t want a bunch of way points everywhere like in BF3. Maybe they show up on the radar constantly for a short time or something along those lines

> It’s already a team oriented weapon.

This. At least in Reach, you need an entire team of ARs focus firing on a single enemy in order to kill him in a reasonable amount of time.

Forcing weapons to be “team orientated” ends up just making them weaker. Dont “force” teamwork, any good weapon can be used as a team oriented weapon.

I would much rather not force the mechanic of teamwork on the weapon. And as SitriStahl said, it should be a CQB niche weapon

> I would much rather not force the mechanic of teamwork on the weapon. And as SitriStahl said, it should be a CQB niche weapon

Why should it be that?

> > I would much rather not force the mechanic of teamwork on the weapon. And as SitriStahl said, it should be a CQB niche weapon
>
> Why should it be that?

Because the weapon is automatic. It does not have the accuracy of the Battle or Designated Marksman Rifles. Also, the lack of headshots will really put it at a disadvantage at range.

Why should it be anything else? Why do we need more weapons trying(and failing) at being an all-purpose weapon? Making the Assault Rifle as powerful as the BR or DMR at range would make the game exactly like CoD: where automatic weapons rule at every range, and are astonishingly overpowered. There is no incentive to use anything but an automatic weapon at range when it functions on the level as the semi-autos.